Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

tater_salad posted:

but like what if you shave the tops of the bits for better fidelity.

I think we all get it at this point. The gimmick is getting really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

strtj posted:

Just run it through these an amp with specialty designed tube fans that are harmonically balanced to bring out spesific tonal requirements of your music using interchangeable bearings. Blue is blues, green is jazz, orange is rock, grey is classic, white is spoken word, brown is for poo poo posts like mine (Each sold separately)

Then it gets better.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

strtj posted:

Huh? What's the gimmick?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LRADIKAL posted:

Huh? What's the gimmick?

the theme of the thread, I thought

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I thought the theme of the thread was to forget what the thread is and earnestly post about the $300 DAC you bought.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

I thought the theme of the thread was to forget what the thread is and earnestly post about the $300 DAC you bought.

It's This

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Self ridicule is the way of the goon

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

*sighs as I unsheath my gold plated Bluetooth emitter that maxes out at 128kbps SBC*

movax
Aug 30, 2008

njsykora posted:

I bought a Topping A90/D90 combo used for $950 in July 2020.

It sounds nice. They go well with my HE1000i.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

...you're a silly person for doing that.

I hope this deserved mocking has not put you off our dank corner of IYG and that you stick around to post more content-generating posts like the one here. We know you can go anywhere for derision of audiophile stuff, and we're delighted you went with the Ridicule Audiophiles thread today.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the thread title is actually Ridicule, Audiophiles as in “this is a space for well-heeled audiophiles to look down on their lessors with their Bluetooth speakers and soundbars and Costco receivers, and sniff corks while discussing the resonant effects of different fine hardwood veneers on the performance of various lossless codecs”

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

spending a lot of money on well engineered but very overkill gear is at least less shameful than spending a lot of money on amps that perform like poo poo and accessories that don't do anything

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

repiv posted:

spending a lot of money on well engineered but very overkill gear is at least less shameful than spending a lot of money on amps that perform like poo poo and accessories that don't do anything

Unironically:

Klipsch Heresy IV with a tasteful custom hardwood veneer choice because you can afford it and it looks good and “bespoke” to you— a goon of refinement and taste with a personal sense of style

Klipsch Heresy IV with a tasteful custom hardwood veneer chosen mainly for its properties as a “tonewood”— a most shameful audiophool

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It may be less shameful, but wasting money is always worthy of ridicule!

he said, having spent tens of dollars to post

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

It may be less shameful, but wasting money is always worthy of ridicule!

he said, having spent tens of dollars to post

“But the Heresy lVs are good now, they added a port and fixed the lack of bass—“

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nobody besides Klipsch made “monkey coffins” for 20 years and now KLH, JBL, Mission, Wharfedale, etc. have jumped on the bandwagon they must be pissed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Nobody besides Klipsch made “monkey coffins” for 20 years and now KLH, JBL, Mission, Wharfedale, etc. have jumped on the bandwagon they must be pissed.

JBL always kept making theirs, you just had to know where to look (pro audio, installation/theatre audio, JBL Japan)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
LOL, audiophiles here always trying to push the overton window for what a waste of money is. You losers, buy reasonable poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

LOL, audiophiles here always trying to push the overton window for what a waste of money is. You losers, buy reasonable poo poo.

any DAC over $250 is a waste of money

you can get a fully balanced XLR one for like $230 with supply chain problems and the AKM factory fire and whatnot (used to be $189) or you can get an Apple USB dongle for $9 and have roughly the same experience minus the multiple inputs and TOSlink

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Most DACs period are, unless you have an ancient rear end computer or for some reason your source can't support CD+ quality files

Don't waste your money kids

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

Most DACs period are, unless you have an ancient rear end computer or for some reason your source can't support CD+ quality files

Don't waste your money kids

or you need an optical jack to connect a contemporary TV (or less contemporary laserdisc player)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Unique Melody announced yet another new IEM that's $5000 for a custom version, so there's that.

Honestly the entire super ultra top end pricing just gets worse and worse and it's sustained by like 2-3 dozen millionaires on Head-Fi who drop at least $4-5k a month on new gear if not more. The Oriolus Traillii was considered utterly ridiculous at $6.5k (resale is immediately cut in almost half) and new poo poo just gets closer and closer to that price point. It's much worse than headphones, although headphones have gotten pretty bad at the high end too. It's generally not even particularly innovative stuff either, just rehashes of the same things.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I spent 100$ on my high impedance headphone amp and I don't tell people that because it's kind of high as embarrassing. :)

On the other hand, too cheap to impress an audiophile.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've had the same set of studio monitors for probably 14 years now, and I won't get rid of them unless they're busted and unfixable. I mean monitors are never a bargain, but it's interesting to hear how the consensus shifts when something happens like, idk, "Eww, Best Buy sells them now!" They were hot poo poo when they first hit the market but now everyone loves to poo poo all over them. They're great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I've had the same set of studio monitors for probably 14 years now, and I won't get rid of them unless they're busted and unfixable. I mean monitors are never a bargain, but it's interesting to hear how the consensus shifts when something happens like, idk, "Eww, Best Buy sells them now!" They were hot poo poo when they first hit the market but now everyone loves to poo poo all over them. They're great.

the biggest problem with KRKs is that they’re fugly

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
i like yellow

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

triple sulk posted:

Unique Melody announced yet another new IEM that's $5000 for a custom version, so there's that.

Honestly the entire super ultra top end pricing just gets worse and worse and it's sustained by like 2-3 dozen millionaires on Head-Fi who drop at least $4-5k a month on new gear if not more. The Oriolus Traillii was considered utterly ridiculous at $6.5k (resale is immediately cut in almost half) and new poo poo just gets closer and closer to that price point. It's much worse than headphones, although headphones have gotten pretty bad at the high end too. It's generally not even particularly innovative stuff either, just rehashes of the same things.

IEMs are just in a boom space right now, and the $2k+ market is mostly fuelled I expect by the kind of Real American Patriot who won't denigrate themselves to buying something made in China which is where all the good poo poo that isn't stupidly overpriced is coming from.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

njsykora posted:

IEMs are just in a boom space right now, and the $2k+ market is mostly fuelled I expect by the kind of Real American Patriot who won't denigrate themselves to buying something made in China which is where all the good poo poo that isn't stupidly overpriced is coming from.

The Chinese market definitely has some stupidly overpriced poo poo too though, UM included. One of their models costs $8000. To be fair, part of that scam is that the cable is made by PWAudio, a cable maker with a flagship that costs something like $7k.

Check out Elysium or Aroma too if you want to see more examples. China is just as guilty as the US companies if not more so, but I guess I can't really blame them if people are buying?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

triple sulk posted:

but I guess I can't really blame them if people are buying?

It is always ethical to bilk rich idiots out of their money

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Anything after minidisc is snake oil

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Looking to get the highest fidelity out of my HitClips player, I heard this was the right thread to ask

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Alan_Shore posted:

MiniDisc was so cool. It made me feel like a secret agent.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I've been looking for one of the LPCM recorders for it and blank HiMDs but loving a is that expensive

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thread is a flat circle, we're back to (justifiably) enthusing about Minidiscs again.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One of my best friends was a hardcore Minidisc stan back in the day and I think nostalgia has smoothed off a lot of the rough edges about the format; it had a lot of flaws, primary of which was the cost. Sure those tiny players with the screen and remote on the headphone cord were boss but they were like $400 in 1998 dollars [so like the cost of a midrange smartphone now] and fragile as hell.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

musta had different players then- my last one survived 20 years of snowboarding until a battery popped when I wasn't using it and killed the board

MD treated me well, but then again I was the kid with a million cassette mixes too when I was young. I'd probably not have the patience to deal with recording today without optical/data input

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

njsykora posted:

AI upscaling but for 128kbps mp3 files encoded in the early 2000s.

Im pretty sure 128kbps encoded in semi-modern or later LAME is transparent except for test tones deliberately selected to expose the difference

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It sure wasn't transparent in the early 2000s

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There was just something distinctly cooler about having a rainbow coloured selection of disks over putting some files on those early mp3 players. I still know what the whole process sounds like from the distinct rattle of the disks themselves to the eject mechanism, the loading and the closing. Very satisfying noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

movax posted:

I bought a Topping A90/D90 combo used for $950 in July 2020.

It sounds nice. They go well with my HE1000i.

Your stereos suck and your home is ugly.