Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Ukraine's social media game is straight S-tier gold. My God, this is darkly hilarious. Poor T-72. Thought of Ukraine and ran into tree.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1568343234228748289?s=21&t=1v3TumLBBx-oyvmjL05BCw

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

PookBear posted:

50 cal is a suppression weapon because if you don't stay in cover its very accurate and will kill you. You don't suppress someone by just firing in their general direction

The best way to suppress someone is to cover them in the brain matter of the person next to them

I agree with the last part but that first part ain't right

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/xsovietnews/status/1568332322100973571?s=21&t=P9DNjslLex9h-mLshmGrew

I give you glorious cope from the motherland.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

NJersey posted:

I agree with the last part but that first part ain't right

do you think the M2 isn't accurate?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PookBear posted:

I think it's the "You don't suppress someone by firing in their general direction" part.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So a buddy of mine went to join the fighting in Ukraine not long after the war started and is still there, alive and fighting. He's just occupied what was up until yesterday a Russian position, and they left some gear behind which his squad has repurposed to their own ends. He's asked for help identifying this insignia:

Anyone know what this is? The text on the larger patch reads "PROLETARIAN MOSCOW-MINSK"; the smaller patch was untranslateable.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PookBear posted:

Well I know the Chinese really didn’t like how it would stop Zerg rushes back in the 1950s.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kesper North posted:

So a buddy of mine went to join the fighting in Ukraine not long after the war started and is still there, alive and fighting. He's just occupied what was up until yesterday a Russian position, and they left some gear behind which his squad has repurposed to their own ends. He's asked for help identifying this insignia:

Anyone know what this is? The text on the larger patch reads "PROLETARIAN MOSCOW-MINSK"; the smaller patch was untranslateable.

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-&...31083;&%231082;

naval motor rifles from kailiningrad

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

ASAPI posted:

Did they just bail because they saw an Ukrainian soldier? I didn't see anything pop during that video, are they just assuming opposition will equal direct fire soon?

Given that they were passing UA soldiers along that road, they were likely already getting cut off and panicking to get out before being destroyed. It looks like there were a couple shots from the UA guys that hit dirt, so I doubt AT would be far behind.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

PookBear posted:

uhhh, what? accurate weapons can be used for suppressive fire...what the gently caress are you on about?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the smaller one might be a misspelled name badge, Kafiyatov

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wiki link is bad, but thanks!!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kesper North posted:

wiki link is bad, but thanks!!

oof yeah the whole thing is cyrillic and the parser mangled it

I tested this one: https://tinyurl.com/yckpcabf

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I've been following some of the LNR/DNR milbloggers/telegrams since they got dropped in here a while ago, and yeah, the number of calls for prosecution of the general staff and/or overthrow of Putin is steadily increasing, as is the degree of pessimism regarding the outcome of the war.

There are still steady reports of, for example, tanks and armor being delivered with unencrypted analog radios, and unencrypted analog radios being supplied to infantry. Also shortages of UAVs and general shittiness of equipment that is being supplied out of storage. Allegedly it is specifically the comms disconnect that's causing the most massive problems, because front-line troops have no ability to call in artillery at a tactical level, both because there is no UAVs/spotters to "walk" the artillery onto target and also shortages of secure communication from infantry to the batteries. So Ukraine basically appears to be fighting with massive force multipliers that Russia doesn't have access to. Said milbloggers are laying blame largely on the general staff, although I imagine the sanctions are actually causing the bigger part of the situation.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

shame on an IGA posted:

the smaller one might be a misspelled name badge, Kafiyatov

Looks like Каффиятулов (Kaffiyatulov) to me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The M2 is pretty loving accurate out to about 1600m if you have its movement restricted, but you can definitely fire pretty accurately out to well, well past the range of normal infantry weapons, especially in small bursts. Now I wouldn't go mounting optics on the thing or anything, but the rounds can be trusted to keep a pretty tight grouping way downrange.

If you're suppressing an area with it, it's a pretty good bet you're going to hit what you're aiming at within reason.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

Now I wouldn't go mounting optics on the thing or anything

Why not? Others have.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

Why not? Others have.

I'm trying to imagine putting a red dot on a M2HB and just giggling because I have no idea how you would hold a proper posture for firing while looking through the thing. Best we had in the Navy was a front post and then a flip up ironsight with an inner circle about half an inch in diameter. We were told by the gunners that the rounds would keep pretty well inside that half-inch circle out to well over a kilometer, so aim at what you're trying to hit and trust that it's going to hit basically, and from shooting at targets tossed on the water's surface from an overhead helo, they were pretty much right from what I could tell based on splashes and ricochets off the surface. We shot AP rounds so If you were something in the path of those incoming rounds and you had anything less than about an inch of steel in between you and the M2 mount you were going to have a fairly bad day.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 10, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wait didn't an M2 hold the record for longest sniper kill for like 40 years after vietnam

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

I'm trying to imagine putting a red dot on a M2HB and just giggling because I have no idea how you would hold a proper posture for firing while looking through the thing. Best we had in the Navy was a front post and then a flip up ironsight with an inner circle about half an inch in diameter. We were told by the gunners that the rounds would keep pretty well inside that half-inch circle out to well over a kilometer, so aim at what you're trying to hit and trust that it's going to hit basically, and from shooting at targets tossed on the water's surface from an overhead helo, they were pretty much right from what I could tell based on splashes and ricochets off the surface.

When you say "optics" my mind usually goes to magnification, not red dots.

In 1967 a Marine sniper set the record for longest sniper kill with an M2 that stood for 35 years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

When you say "optics" my mind usually goes to magnification, not red dots.

In 1967 a Marine sniper set the record for longest sniper kill with an M2 that stood for 35 years.

Fair enough, if you are in a prepared position where you could actually line up behind the sights, and you had actual telescopic sights mounted on it and a T&E device, then yeah, you could definitely reach out and touch someone so far away nobody's gonna hear the crack of the bullet until someone's chest exploded like an overripe melon. M33 Ball packs a lot of energy and is definitely accurate and lethal to well past 1800m if you're using telescopic sights considering the kill you're talking about was at 2250m.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Slap an M2 in a CROWS and it is frighteningly repeatable at very long ranges.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Slap an M2 in a CROWS and it is frighteningly repeatable at very long ranges.

God, an M2 in a CROWS is loving amazing.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
With every weapon system, it's shooters discretion and dependent on the mission.

There's time to use T&E and try to be as accurate as possible or to put as much loving heavy lead down range so the enemy can't effectively fight back. Hence suppression fire.

To quote the meme from the German firing the M2 "HOLD IT DOWN! ITS A MACHINE GUN!". (I love that the US soldier wasn't even looking, just heard a machine gun not doing machine gun poo poo and it bothered him, lol)

edit: The longest sniper shot was from a Canadian in Afghanistan using the M2 sniper rifle, whatever the gently caress its name is. Not the browning

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Optics on a deuce, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCmtr4GFFc

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

NJersey posted:

With every weapon system, it's shooters discretion and dependent on the mission.

There's time to use T&E and try to be as accurate as possible or to put as much loving heavy lead down range so the enemy can't effectively fight back. Hence suppression fire.

To quote the meme from the German firing the M2 "HOLD IT DOWN! ITS A MACHINE GUN!". (I love that the US soldier wasn't even looking, just heard a machine gun not doing machine gun poo poo and it bothered him, lol)

edit: The longest sniper shot was from a Canadian in Afghanistan using the M2 sniper rifle, whatever the gently caress its name is. Not the browning

They’re talking about Hathcock in Vietnam with the Browning.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NJersey posted:

McNally posted:

You will note that the Canadians were not in Afghanistan in 1967, and that shot is what broke the Marine's record.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mirconium posted:

I've been following some of the LNR/DNR milbloggers/telegrams since they got dropped in here a while ago, and yeah, the number of calls for prosecution of the general staff and/or overthrow of Putin is steadily increasing, as is the degree of pessimism regarding the outcome of the war.

I'm honestly kinda worried about this. Like on one hand nationalists turning against Putin and his cronies is darkly hilarious and just desserts and all that, but on the other hand if this actually goes anywhere it's basically setting Russia up for the same kind of psychotic revanchist stab-in-the-back myth that Hitler came to power on. You might be saying "Russian fascists are already in charge, how much worse could it be," but the thing about the Nazis is that they genuinely believed in their "Jewish world conspiracy out to get Germany" stuff and made decisions on the assumption that this was true. Putin and more importantly his government seem more cynical than ideologically driven, and while they may make mistakes on the basis of bad information and planning their goals can still seem more or less rational from an empire-building perspective. A genuine nationalist ideologue in charge of the Russian nuclear arsenal isn't a fun thought, especially if they're operating on the assumption that all you need to do is to kick out Putin and Shoigu and the Russian military will once more be its invincible Great Patriotic War self.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

You will note that the Canadians were not in Afghanistan in 1967, and that shot is what broke the Marine's record.

Yea, I misread, thought the conversation was about the longest shot with just a .50 round and not the weapon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Google the Trijicon MGRS.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tomn posted:

I'm honestly kinda worried about this. Like on one hand nationalists turning against Putin and his cronies is darkly hilarious and just desserts and all that, but on the other hand if this actually goes anywhere it's basically setting Russia up for the same kind of psychotic revanchist stab-in-the-back myth that Hitler came to power on. You might be saying "Russian fascists are already in charge, how much worse could it be," but the thing about the Nazis is that they genuinely believed in their "Jewish world conspiracy out to get Germany" stuff and made decisions on the assumption that this was true. Putin and more importantly his government seem more cynical than ideologically driven, and while they may make mistakes on the basis of bad information and planning their goals can still seem more or less rational from an empire-building perspective. A genuine nationalist ideologue in charge of the Russian nuclear arsenal isn't a fun thought, especially if they're operating on the assumption that all you need to do is to kick out Putin and Shoigu and the Russian military will once more be its invincible Great Patriotic War self.

Yeah I'd be kinda worried about the kind of people further to the right of Putin who might entertain overthrowing him, and potentially have the capability to do so. There's plenty of ultranationalists in Russia, so uh yeah, an even more ultranationalist Russian leader who's more nuts than Putin would be a bad thing.

Putin is himself an ultranationalist with his desire to re-assert the dominance of Russia over their neighbor countries who have no desire to become part of Russia, but there's definitely people who are more hardline than him in Russia, who might entertain taking a direct swing at NATO or something because they believe the Russian military would come out on top, or would burn down the evil West and salt the earth in trying at least. Having one of them in charge of the Russian nuclear arsenal would be quite bad.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 10, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Best bet imo is that the ru army will gleefully massacre the ru nationalists. The officers don't have the initiative to putsch, the troops are colonial subjects in search of a paycheck and will be happy to kill white Russians, and turnover has been too high to get a coherent core of ppl with esprit de corps and a proper hate for the government. I don't see where a force or movement that can overturn the central government could come from. Which admittedly ppl said about the Soviet Union circa 1988 :v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot take: Barring death from natural causes, Putin will still be in power in a year and the war will still be on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ok

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1568337686712225792

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Best bet imo is that the ru army will gleefully massacre the ru nationalists. The officers don't have the initiative to putsch, the troops are colonial subjects in search of a paycheck and will be happy to kill white Russians, and turnover has been too high to get a coherent core of ppl with esprit de corps and a proper hate for the government. I don't see where a force or movement that can overturn the central government could come from. Which admittedly ppl said about the Soviet Union circa 1988 :v:

I mean, there's always time for an Operation Valkyrie. I'm sure there's people in the officer corps who are quite displeased with how Putin is handling this offensive, you can't get your teeth kicked in as hard as the Russian military is and not greatly dislike the person at the top. Whether they'd call it off after the fact and sue for peace or not is an open question. Thing with something in the style of Operation Valkyrie is outside observers likely wouldn't know about it until it happens and the Russian government dissolves into chaos.

There might not be enough organized resistance to Putin's leadership in the officer corps yet, but surely there's enough poor morale in there to start the seeds of some sort of resistance movement, I'm sure there's plenty of TLAs very interested in feeling the pulse of the Russian officer corps right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Hot take: Barring death from natural causes, Putin will still be in power in a year and the war will still be on.

Hard to have a war when you don't have a motivated and supplied army, but no argument about Putin maybe being in power.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Hard to have a war when you don't have a motivated and supplied army,

Only has to be “enough” of those things to sit dug in on land and fire artillery occasionally.

I might be wrong, but I bet Russia doesn’t just pack up and go home and Ukraine doesn’t concede lost territory, even if tempo eventually slows even more or lines stagnate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Only has to be “enough” of those things to sit dug in on land and fire artillery occasionally.

I might be wrong, but I bet Russia doesn’t just pack up and go home and Ukraine doesn’t concede lost territory, even if tempo eventually slows even more or lines stagnate.

They are importing artillery shells from North Korea and Ukraine has been actively denying them ammo by blowing their dumps up with HIMARS.

I think that's not a problem. And worth noting: Most of the land Ukraine is advancing on right now was "dug in land". Being dug in is no guarantee of security of your position. We had wars about this, trench warfare became a thing of the past for a reason.