Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Elf chain whip was dope

Galadriel's library date was cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It occurs to me that some executive must have seen how popular baby Yoda was and said they needed a baby Gandalf.

And then someone sensible actually made that concept into a good character.

I know this is definitely not what happened, but I still like how they're apparently doing baby Gandalf in this show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That or I like the Dougie Jones alignment someone mentioned too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

no gandalf don't eat the egg!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Eiba posted:

It occurs to me that some executive must have seen how popular baby Yoda was and said they needed a baby Gandalf.

And then someone sensible actually made that concept into a good character.

I know this is definitely not what happened, but I still like how they're apparently doing baby Gandalf in this show.

See, my thing is that even if Meteor Man eventually becomes Gandalf, he's not there yet. Did you ever see the 1931 Frankenstein movie? In it there a bit where the Monster encounters a child who is tossing flowers into a lake. Eventually the Monster grabs the child and tosses her into the lake where she drowns. Because the Monster's hosed up brain thought pretty things went into the lake. I think that's where Meteor Man is. He might well have Gandalf's power but his broken brain might well decide that Nori, being a pretty person with twigs in her hair needs to be planted in quicksand so she'll "grow." Meteor Man doesn't have to be "evil" to be extremely dangerous to those around him even if he means well. Because his mind is still hosed up. Which means that Nori is not safe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Some of the casting choices have been pretty suspect thus far but they absolutely nailed Elendil.

Isildur as a teenager is a bit iffy but whatever.

I thought Isildur was fine for the most part, but yeah Elendil was loving great. Hope to see much more of him as the show goes on, especially given his eventual role in the Tolkien Legendarium of sorts.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
That was so awful I might be done with the show.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Men (which is nearly always said with the meaning of "humans", which makes some sense as that's the actual meaning of the word, the gendered meaning came later, though obviously it was already old by Tolkien's time)

Earlier today I was paging through some of the old MERP/Rolemaster RPG supplements. While they're sometimes really detailed and thought out in a cool way, and sometimes in a silly way (Khamul has an office in Dol Guldur, since even Nazgul have to give written orders sometimes), one touch I liked in some books was using "Hildor" instead of "Men" or "Humans" in setting materials. It's one of the Quenya words ("Aftercomers") in actual published materials. I can understand it not being used in a show, but it at least gives a third awkward way to refer to tall mortals.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm 100% in agreement with all of these. The second they said Halbrand was a king in exile I was like "this dude is gonna be a Ringwraith, I KNOW it!

is there any chance that he could lead to eventually the white mountains and the oath-breakers?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

The prisoner elfs fight felt high stakes enough, acrobatics and all. Especially with how it ends.

i like that the james woods elf had strong feelings about trees

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Was the elf that got arrows to the chest the same guy that played Crassus in Spartacus? He looks similar but I've never seen him in anything else.

edit: It is him!

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

how do we feel about the numenorian queen being sauron

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Am I overthinking the elf that got shot up with arrows? I kept going "who shot him?!" because I figure no orcs would be up there in the sun with bows, so it had to be a man willing working with orcs, but maybe I'm just thinking too much.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epi Lepi posted:

Am I overthinking the elf that got shot up with arrows? I kept going "who shot him?!" because I figure no orcs would be up there in the sun with bows, so it had to be a man willing working with orcs, but maybe I'm just thinking too much.

do you watch on a tv or your monitor because that scene shows orcs there with bows

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, there are orcs out there wearing the protective hoods and cloaks. It's a poo poo duty - they hate sunlight AND trees - but a necessary one, and it paid off since it prevented an escape that could have brought an army of elves down on them.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Asema posted:

do you watch on a tv or your monitor because that scene shows orcs there with bows

A big rear end TV of course I'm not a savage. I did not see them though, thank you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Noam Chomsky posted:

Woke rear end Jeff Bezos with his genderflipped Sauron making Ar-Fairybitchzon her cuckold.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Arc Hammer posted:

Woke rear end Jeff Bezos with his genderflipped Sauron making Ar-Fairybitchzon her cuckold.

Halbrand would make some sense I guess but with Numenor already seeming to have been slowly corrupted I am kind of assuming it's her.

If true that will definitely be the title of many a whinging YouTube video

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes. You're also overthinking how Halbrand gave Galadriel her dagger back in front of a guard, and how the lighting on the ship with Galadriel was wrong, and how the chains would never break if they were being cut into mud, and how the Harrowfoots were planning a festival last episode but now they're leaving camp 'like they planned', and how contrived the whole page rotation thing was, and how the warg scene had the sensibility of a videogame boss fight, and how stupid it was that Halbrand was begging for an entry-level position at the local smithy when he should have better sense of how guilds and trades work (if you really want to be anal). These were filmmaking constraints the writers and director had zero control over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Noam Chomsky posted:

I mean, she wasn't on my radar, but gently caress it, why not? :shrug:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

unlimited shrimp posted:

Yes. You're also overthinking how Halbrand gave Galadriel her dagger back in front of a guard, and how the lighting on the ship with Galadriel was wrong, and how the chains would never break if they were being cut into mud, and how the Harrowfoots were planning a festival last episode but now they're leaving camp 'like they planned', and how contrived the whole page rotation thing was, and how the warg scene had the sensibility of a videogame boss fight, and how stupid it was that Halbrand was begging for an entry-level position at the local smithy when he should have better sense of how guilds and trades work (if you really want to be anal). These were filmmaking constraints the writers and director had zero control over.

Don't drag me into your stupid nitpicks, I just wanted to see if they were foreshadowing men allied with orcs or not. I like this show and I loving hate TVIV dorks like you for hating every loving show but I was hoping this thread might be chill for once. Guess not.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Asema posted:

is there any chance that he could lead to eventually the white mountains and the oath-breakers?

I like that. We don't really know where the "southlands" are. South in relation to what? I was thinking Near-Harad or even in and around Mordor.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

I like that. We don't really know where the "southlands" are. South in relation to what? I was thinking Near-Harad or even in and around Mordor.

The southlands designation on the show's maps include both Mordor and Gondor, so it's a possibility.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Corbeau posted:

The southlands designation on the show's maps include both Mordor and Gondor, so it's a possibility.

That said at this point neither Mordor nor Gondor exist, at least as lands/nations. Mordor is in the process of becoming Mordor thanks to the orcs' little construction project, and Gondor is founded by Numenorian refugees.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Was the elf that got arrows to the chest the same guy that played Crassus in Spartacus? He looks similar but I've never seen him in anything else.

edit: It is him!

There were at least 3 Spartacus actors in this episode, wonder if someone in casting is a fan of the show or if it's just a funny coincidence.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is Mount Doom supposed to be inactive at this point? Is that something Sauron causes to erupt through his great evil?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The volcano is supposed to be there afaik. Nothing is ever said about Sauron creating it and that's not really his thing. He was a follower of Aule and then Melkor, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There were at least 3 Spartacus actors in this episode, wonder if someone in casting is a fan of the show or if it's just a funny coincidence.

They're local actors. Both Spartacus and Rings of Power were filmed in New Zealand.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't drag me into your stupid nitpicks, I just wanted to see if they were foreshadowing men allied with orcs or not. I like this show and I loving hate TVIV dorks like you for hating every loving show but I was hoping this thread might be chill for once. Guess not.
I was pretty chill with the show after the first two episodes. I thought its most remarkable feature was its art direction but I wasn't down on it. The Stranger was interesting, I liked Galadriel even if her characterization didn't match her biography, and I was curious how they'd write around the lore they didn't have access to. My biggest concern after last episode was them shrinking the map and having characters warp around for storytelling's sake, which I thought was a bad omen after GoT's later seasons.

It's not nitpicking to point out that there was a lot of really dumb decisions and oversights that made it into the final cut of this episode. If you're so enraptured by the storytelling that you can overlook the televisual elements of this television show then what luck, there's a whole legendarium you can read instead.

e.
A good example was the horseback riding scene. Not only did Galadriel's excitement about the prospect come out of left field, the shots were extremely unflattering to the actress, so much so that it barely looked like Galadriel at all. Remarkable because, guaranteed, those closeups weren't being filmed with her on an actual horse at full gallop. They could have picked any shots they wanted and tens of thousands of dollars went into the shots they picked. Do those close-ups reveal some deeper aspect of Galadriel -- now, in episode 3, we discover that riding a horse transforms her almost physically -- or was it just some weird decision by the creators? If the former, do you think there'll be payoff in a later episode? Was this intentional characterization?

It's not nitpicking to notice these things. I've been watching prestige TV for a while now thanx and everything about this episode suggests amateurs in charge.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 10, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They're local actors. Both Spartacus and Rings of Power were filmed in New Zealand.

Ah that would do it, for some reason I thought Spartacus was a British production but nope, US produced and NZ filmed.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

nine-gear crow posted:

That said at this point neither Mordor nor Gondor exist, at least as lands/nations. Mordor is in the process of becoming Mordor thanks to the orcs' little construction project, and Gondor is founded by Numenorian refugees.

Yes. I know. That's totally irrelevant to the point though.

I'm starting to see the issues people have with this thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Corbeau posted:

Yes. I know. That's totally irrelevant to the point though.

I'm starting to see the issues people have with this thread.

It's a whirling tempest of people talking at each other, each of them bringing variable levels of understanding of a massive fuckoff continuum of fictional history, of which there are now multiple conflicting interpretations of. This thread was always gonna be a shitshow :v:

MrMojok posted:

Is Mount Doom supposed to be inactive at this point? Is that something Sauron causes to erupt through his great evil?

The volcano is supposed to be there afaik. Nothing is ever said about Sauron creating it and that's not really his thing. He was a follower of Aule and then Melkor, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility.

There's talk in the second episode of groundshakes, probably from Mount Doom stiring, so it would not surprise me if we see it erupt and turn active at some point over the show's runtime. Whether that's through Sauron's doing, or related to the orcs loving with soon-to-be-Mordor's ecosystem, or just natural causes is yet to be seen. But Mount Doom going all St. Helens or Vesuvius on the Southlands I've no doubt would certainly go a long way towards helping the orcs create The Black Land for Sauron.

Fre Merzasphor
Mar 8, 2006
It turns out the stranger is Sauron, but he’s actually corrupted by the Harfoots’ hardcore “purge the weak” society, and he decides to forge the one ring to bring this way of life to the entire world. Hobbits were responsible all along, so it’s only fitting that Sméagol and Frodo ultimately clean up the mess their ancestors started.

I thought Numenor looked cool, and Elendil was well cast. I’m still curious to see how the rest of the show goes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The chains were not broken realistically.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

unlimited shrimp posted:

[...] how the Harrowfoots were planning a festival last episode but now they're leaving camp 'like they planned', [...]

You know when everyone was dressed up in costume and the kids were being led in a play caravan chanting "nobody leaves the trail and nobody walks alone"? Or how the lead Harfoot closed things out with a speech? Don't let the lack of a ferris wheel fool you, that was the festival to celebrate the migration.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Noam Chomsky posted:

You are disproving yourself here.

I'm going to need you and anyone agrees to explain how a 5'7" maybe 160 lb. being takes down Morgoth without abilities akin to super powers. You're welcome to use the illustration you find more reasonable as a basis.

The whole "Marvel brained" nonsense reveals how some just aren't finding their "serious" fantasy serious enough.

It's the same as comic book fans complaining about deviations or just comic books being mainstream now.

Stop huffing your own farts.

First of all: He didn't take down Morgoth.

Also good job at proving how little you know about Tolkien, if you think the Noldor (particularly Fingolfin) were:

quote:

a 5'7" maybe 160 lb. being
Especially when every reader of his works quickly notices that Tolkien had a huge fetish for tall characters.

Do I need to explain the ancient concept of "Man (or elf) challenging the Gods" to you? Do you need a list of stats, powers and abilities to understand a trope as old as human civilization?

I can send you some of my farts to huff, maybe that helps.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 10, 2022

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

unlimited shrimp posted:

watching the fellowship of the ring and getting really mad at how dumb the merry and pippin were to run in the direction of a cliff because surely they would know the farmer maggot's farm well enough after stealing crops every week from it. Also if hobbits like mushrooms so much why would there be mushrooms growing right on a road in the middle of the shire? they would have been picked long ago by another passing hobbit. And lets be real, there is no way the ringwraith wouldn't have noticed the hobbits right under him or feel the presence of the frodo and the ring literally inches from him when they were hiding under the tree root. this movie is clearly poo poo and im not desperately finding stupid small things to get mad about.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Man I really love this show so far. Seeing Numenor portrayed this beautifully and perfectly and the music and the god drat scene of Elendil and Galadriel riding through Numenor with some absolutely gorgeous cinematography just hit a note for me I have been aching for.

I love the Harfoot poo poo its exactly the quirky lighthearted folksy woodsy fantasy stuff I love in much of Tolkiens work.

The orc stuff is absolutely awesome and creepy and I was pleasantly surprised at how they measured the violence.

I like Galadriel but I can understand some of the criticisms, I hope she does show some growth because while I can dig her intensity given the context theyre going for I can see it becoming a bit two dimensional if its unwavering through the whole show.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

watching the fellowship of the ring and getting really mad at how dumb the merry and pippin were to run in the direction of a cliff because surely they would know the farmer maggot's farm well enough after stealing crops every week from it. Also if hobbits like mushrooms so much why would there be mushrooms growing right on a road in the middle of the shire? they would have been picked long ago by another passing hobbit. And lets be real, there is no way the ringwraith wouldn't have noticed the hobbits right under him or feel the presence of the frodo and the ring literally inches from him when they were hiding under the tree root. this movie is clearly poo poo and im not desperately finding stupid small things to get mad about.

inshallah the Rings of Power will be as impeccable as the Lord of the Rings trilogy when the dust settles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

unlimited shrimp posted:

and how the chains would never break if they were being cut into mud,

They clearly put another tool underneath the chains to break them.