Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

OwlFancier posted:

My mum has had the telly on the queen all day afaik, no idea how your brains don't run out your ears after the first five minutes.

It's interesting how being a telly watcher changes things - I remember when the queen mum died (obv Diana too but I was aboout 10) and it was just wall-to-wall Bowes-Lyon on every channel for weeks. BBC hagiographies, interviews with pretty much anyone C-list and above who had ever met her, History Channel showing swiftly cooked up documentaries with cheap talking heads and stock footage, and because it was 2002 and I was stuck at home so there really wasn't much else to do I must have watched hours and hours and hours and hours of the stuff. Same with the 60th anniversary of D-Day a couple of years later, probably the last one with a pretty significant number of veterans turning up.

But I moved to uni halls in 2006, didn't have a TV, and it was just at the time that Stage6 and YouTube and torrents were making it fairly easy to live without one. Never really got back into broadcast TV, and just don't get the saturation of big media events in the same way that I used to (unless I'm the one who can't stop, like the first 48 hours or so of the Ukraine sitch).

Don't know where I'm going with this.

Wonder how much of the outpouring from places like the US is because of hit tv show 'The Crown', so for a lot of viewers it's like hearing on the news that Heisenberg or Danaerys Targaryen has died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Diorama posted:

Never really got back into broadcast TV, and just don't get the saturation of big media events in the same way that I used to (unless I'm the one who can't stop, like the first 48 hours or so of the Ukraine sitch).

I know what you mean: when I was a kid, it was just habit to turn the TV on and leave it running for the whole night until everyone went to bed. Since moving out, going to university and not having a working TV aerial, that habit got kicked out of me, so now I literally never watch scheduled television. It’s great.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 10, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've been watching a fair bit of it with my daughter because regardless of the monarchy being a poo poo idea it's interesting to live through history, and it's notable to me that she's particularly interested in things being "live" because normally everything we ever see is after the event on catch up or whatever (except sometimes football.)

It struck me that there's been a shift in the norm, when we were growing up all kinds of poo poo was live for no particular reason (still is but we don't watch it) and if you didn't see it when it went out you never would, and we're now back at a point where live TV is a novelty for kids again. Just thought it was sort of interesting how things change.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't believe this means what it says:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

I fixed my tariff in September 2021 for 2 years. If it DOES mean what it says, my annual electricity (based on last 12 months - my home is all electric) will reduce to around £375 or £31.25 per month (from £685pa /£57pm) even with the standing charge almost doubling (I fixed at 24.95p pday inc VAT). I'm sure what they really mean is if your fixed tariff comes to more than the new rate, then they'll reduce it to that and they're using this supposedly 'standard household' milarkey to arrive at this figure.

So many people running up bills of over £2500 are going to have a shock because the way everything is being presented is that £2500 is the max you'll have to pay instead of making it clear it's for the mythical 'standard household' again. Unless they really DO mean no one pays more than £2500 so people will have their heating on full pelt 24/7 and every light in the house on 24/7 plus saunas, hot tubs on their verandahs etc.

Personally, I think it's sloppy, hastily pushed out wording. Of course, I may be wrong.

Ed: it is so difficult to find out what the actual per kWh rates are especially for Economy 7!

That's atrociously worded. There can't be any way that they are applying a 17p/kWh discount to every existing fixed tariff surely. What a mess.

The cap communications have been awful too. Of course many are going to see "costs capped at £2500" and take it at face value, because it appears clear enough.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

keep punching joe posted:

Look at this cunts hand!

at least he doesnt have to memorise his speeches or anything

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

sebzilla posted:

It struck me that there's been a shift in the norm, when we were growing up all kinds of poo poo was live for no particular reason (still is but we don't watch it) and if you didn't see it when it went out you never would, and we're now back at a point where live TV is a novelty for kids again. Just thought it was sort of interesting how things change.

There's too much content now to have any expectations of catching it all, so the idea of "must see TV" has kind of gone away. Everything is missable and it's fine because you can always catch it later.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's weird to me that most people are kind of at "eh, not going to celebrate but come on" this early. It really feels as if most of the real hagiographies are just the same old loons blithering.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think it depends on your crowd. I know 3 people who live in London and 2 of them have filled their Instagram stories with reels or whatever they’re called of queen related stuff. One of them even posted a video of her going down to Buckingham palace to lay flowers with the rest of the large crowd.

E: by know I mean these are friends I keep in touch with/visit, not internet randos

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Go look at the Legal & General logo, top-left here

https://www.legalandgeneral.com/

For those that don't know, it's normally a cheery multicoloured open umbrella

Private Eye going to have a long-running MourningBalls section (I would hope)

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I think my favourite bit is that this clearly wasn't an overnight job, so somebody has been storing it somewhere in prep.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Spare a thought for the cast of Wicked who for the next few weeks have to deal with the reaction to a show whose first lines are "GOOD NEWS! SHE'S DEAD"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
editors note: its turns out that god did not, in fact, save the queen

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

darkwasthenight posted:

I think my favourite bit is that this clearly wasn't an overnight job, so somebody has been storing it somewhere in prep.

That's a rapidly repurposed Platinum Jubilee post box topper.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
You'd think they'd have had time to X out her eyes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Convex posted:

editors note: its turns out that god did not, in fact, save the queen

Unlike Enrico Palazzo

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

I mean literally all of this 24/7 rolling news coverage was also pre-prepared, ready to deploy when the frail 96-year-old eventually died. Hence why the airwaves are completely full with material about Liz.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you haven't already been persuaded to scrap live TV and save yourself the licence fee, you will now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The big "queen is dead" signs have already gone in Newcastle.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Watching the Accession ceremony and throwing my own poo poo at the TV seeing the line of former PMs (plus Starmer) on the front row

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mega Comrade posted:

If you haven't already been persuaded to scrap live TV and save yourself the licence fee, you will now.

I watch Welsh football on S4C and that's about it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

I watch live sport (looking forward to Friday's big game, Pollok vs Huntly), & whether or not it's over the air or streamed you still need a license the last I checked.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Disappointed Jezza didn’t turn up for the privvy council

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I watch live sport (looking forward to Friday's big game, Pollok vs Huntly), & whether or not it's over the air or streamed you still need a license the last I checked.

On paper, any live broadcast counts even if it’s PPV content from another country like boxing/wrestling/MMA events.

Presumably if they really wanted to put the screws to someone they could argue poo poo like Twitch counts because it’s also a ‘live broadcast’.

I don’t watch anything live at all because the stuff I would watch live is all on in the middle of the night anyway, so I haven’t had a license for years. Feels good.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
We get a bank holiday, so it's all been worth it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
First GStK I've seen in the wild:

Labour Party monarchy shagging.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You're alright, sausage mitts.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Out fudge-selling at the local market today, and frankly it seems to be business as usual. Perhaps a little quieter, but that could just as well be down to cost of living stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

a pipe smoking dog posted:

We get a bank holiday, so it's all been worth it.

Turns out the monarchy was good all along, thanks Chuck. Someone pass me a Union Jack

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

UK currently in full Game of Thrones mode with this medieval nonsense

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I thought you needed a TV licence even if you just use the internet in the UK?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

happyhippy posted:

I thought you needed a TV licence even if you just use the internet in the UK?

I think you need a TV licence to watch iPlayer but you don't need a licence to watch the news streaming on the BBC website

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think you need a TV licence to watch iPlayer but you don't need a licence to watch the news streaming on the BBC website

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to have a license to watch the stream, but unlike with the iplayer, they just don’t check.

Basically if it’s on TV right now anywhere in the world, you need a license to watch it. As long as you don’t do that, you don’t need one.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

UK currently in full Game of Thrones mode with this medieval nonsense

It struck me watching the accession council that this is how the country, in 2022, is 'supposed' to be run. Going by the (mostly unwritten) book, the UK's state functions happen by the monarch sat on a big gold chair in a room full of their chosen advisors while a clerk reads out the business and the monarch approves/disapproves before physically and personally signing it into effect.

Everything else - the monarch's red boxes, the prime minister, the cabinet, the civil service, parliament, the House of Commons, constituencies - is just layers of outsourced and delegated admin and consultancy that has accrued over the centuries. But it still has to go back to absolute monarchy for an hour or so to set the ball rolling again each time the boss changes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
can you bow instead of curtie if you're not a man

like if you have a bad back

or if you'd just rather

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what do people in wheelchairs do

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

what do people in wheelchairs do

They don't let people like that near the monarchs as the Windsors believe it could catch

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s been interesting watching the accession; the first bit is very Game of Thrones with all the potential challengers in the country signing a bit of paper saying “yep we agree he’s King now”, including:
*His son
*Church
*PM

And then the army does its bit to show they’re not going to do a coup, then he formally signs away all the royal estates to the government to give back what they feel like from time to time.

I’ve never had strong feelings about the monarchy one way or the other and this hasn’t changed that, but it does leave me with a vague sense that it’s nice to have an independent figurehead, preferably selected by lot or something. It really shouldn’t be someone who is elected because by definition they are the figurehead of whoever just won.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

even if I WAS watching terrestrial TV services, I still wouldn't pay that poo poo because the BBC is a cancer. They'd have to kick down my door and literally fight me for it.

Good thing we have the internet because TV programming here is dire as gently caress and garbage. (Pretty much worldwide actually, TV is dead)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Diorama posted:

It's interesting how being a telly watcher changes things - I remember when the queen mum died (obv Diana too but I was aboout 10) and it was just wall-to-wall Bowes-Lyon on every channel for weeks. BBC hagiographies, interviews with pretty much anyone C-list and above who had ever met her, History Channel showing swiftly cooked up documentaries with cheap talking heads and stock footage, and because it was 2002 and I was stuck at home so there really wasn't much else to do I must have watched hours and hours and hours and hours of the stuff. Same with the 60th anniversary of D-Day a couple of years later, probably the last one with a pretty significant number of veterans turning up.

But I moved to uni halls in 2006, didn't have a TV, and it was just at the time that Stage6 and YouTube and torrents were making it fairly easy to live without one. Never really got back into broadcast TV, and just don't get the saturation of big media events in the same way that I used to (unless I'm the one who can't stop, like the first 48 hours or so of the Ukraine sitch).

Wonder how much of the outpouring from places like the US is because of hit tv show 'The Crown', so for a lot of viewers it's like hearing on the news that Heisenberg or Danaerys Targaryen has died

I have bad news about both those characters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Saw a reddit thread and the answers ranged from a form of psoriatic arthritis to heart / kidney failure.

Seriously, I'm hoping it's the first not the latter. While modern medicine has gotten far, heart or kidney failure can still involuntary move you six feet underground in less time you'd think. The Year-of-the-three-monarchs is still an option.