Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Another episode of "Keep or Mull" for your consideration:

On the play:

I mulled because I was worried about getting color screwed. I guess Runic shot to deal with the first major attacker would have bought me time.

Down to 6:

This honestly seemed worse than the previous one but going to 5 seemed like a forfeit so I kept and bottomed Phalanx.

Anyway this deck rips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

kalel posted:

hbrawl is diseased with five color commanders

So is standard brawl in whatever trash tier Tatsunari puts me in. Very sick of seeing Jodah superfriends.

I just won one due to history's worst Xander. He attacked into my Slogurk and milled 7 lands to make it a 10/10. Then next turn I attacked and returned Slogurk to my hand to get a land for an exact X-spell kill on Jodah. Feels good man.

And I had 1 card in hand and 1 non-land permanent, nice card text Xander.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Not saying shuffler is rigged but opponent also had milled a parhelion with a stitcher's supplier, and had greasefang along with those 3 Lili, and thoughtseizes in their top 16.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MasterBuilder posted:

Not saying shuffler is rigged but opponent also had milled a parhelion with a stitcher's supplier, and had greasefang along with those 3 Lili, and thoughtseizes in their top 16.

wow what are the odds of that???

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like Lilli is slow for greasefang. What would you even cut for her?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

wow what are the odds of that???

thinkin about the other [ 60 choose 16 ] alternate universe versions of that post and loling

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
true randomness will have 'clumping,' runs of the same or similar results. humans are pattern seeking and will see those runs and go 'aha, there is meaning in this' except that no it's just as likely as a set of results that are even and unclumped

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The shuffler will do everything in its power to make your opponent win. Acceptance is often the hardest part.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao loving christ, reverse turned the corner with this deck with a punt (a 2/3 will trade with splatter goblin lol) and then the next deck held me back with two deathtouchers until they brought out all their big green stompy idiots

one life left and i can feel the tilt energy so I need to meditate

Edit lmao how long would it take for you to make the decision on this board state (that's a 9 under squee's pickaxe)

onboard trick, lol, not that it mattered because their board is still superior. I could have potentially waited them out but I panicked

Took a break, ended up getting another win but then gave another one up with impatient play, i ended up being on a hair-trigger with this deck and whenever i lucked out it was a smooth win but at the first sign of adversity i just threw material way lol.

4-3, at least I almost broke even I guess. This looks like the plateau huh, if I have a decently constructed deck and/or A+ bombs I could probably get a 4-3 and anything else is gonna be 0 or 1

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 10, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Honestly that's almost certainly a situation where I swing out, kick heroic charge after blockers, and lose because math is for blockers - but every turn you leave Defiler of Vigor up is a turn further behind ever getting through their board, and unless they swing with it into Runic Shot there are very few ways you might have to kill ti you wouldn't already have used.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Trophied! Thanks for the advice to get this deck singing.

The last match was a victory parade as my opponent missed land drops and I essence scattered their 3 and 4 drops and then they forgot that Tolarian Terror had ward,

But the match before that was much tighter and I played very big-brainedly because I had Danitha on board and I absolutely knew knew knew they had that +3/+0 first strike combat trick so I played around it for several turns before baiting out an attack that looked really good on paper for them but I had Shivan Devastator in hand and whacked them on the crackback. Bombs are bombs but a win is also a win.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Don't cut Argrivian Cavaliers, it's a top performing common for white. I'd cut phoenix for it, a 1/1 can't block sucks and it's going to come back a lot less often than you think. Zar does not seem like it's going to be castable often but it's got a high ceiling and the only thing you could swap it for is the Coalition Warbrute which is actually pretty decent.

Thanks, made that switch.

Ended up 3/3 which is OK, lost one to '#mull a 2 land with only one play into a 2 land with no plays', and another to 'big green dorks', can't remember the third. Happy enough with my performance, didn't make any wildly boneheaded errors, one or two minor ones though.

Next one is looking like Jund thanks to opening P1P1 Soul of Windgrace. WHich I'm also looking forward to brewing up for Brawl.

E: https://www.17lands.com/deck/d06d1737a0da4682aee1b32f945ccf6b

THis felt like it went obscenely well. Lost match 1 due to trying to get too much value out of Cruelty, but otherwise it's feeling pretty solid. The UR land is purely in there for Domain so that Bortuk can get back Windgrace, but I might put in a single Plains to kick the horse, too.

E: 3/3. Losses to a very well built Domain deck where I really should have just skipped to chapter 3 of Cruelty of Gix, and possibly stabilised, T2 Balmor on the draw, and keeping 4 lands, Lagomos, Lightning Strike, and Flowstone Infusion then proceeding to draw another 9 lands and Windgrace. Irritated with the matchup tag, not so much with my play.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 10, 2022

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

A Moose posted:

I feel like Lilli is slow for greasefang. What would you even cut for her?

To be honest all lilli did was edict and then die to a spectral sailor the following turn so if she was any kill spell I still would have lost. If it was traditional greasefang deck I think I would have won the following turn but it was the parhelion+vigilant angels that made me pack it in. I hate that "combo" so much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

How's about this one? Draft felt a bit messy and reachy, btu I think the deck could work in the end

https://www.17lands.com/deck/751f83cc523a401488cac892716e2278

Whether to cut other colours quite that hard and whether to keep the splash lands even without the splashes to enable domain is a question...

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Can someone please explain to me the set difference between Explorer and Historic? Most of my collection just rotated out of being Standard legal, and I'd assumed I'd be able to play it as-is in Historic. No, turns out Historic is Alchemy+, not Standard+. Instead, there's this thing called Explorer that contains all my Kaldheim cards as-is, and it's like Historic, but not quite. And I can't for the life of me work out what that "but not quite" amounts to. Which sets are Historic but not Explorer? Or is it not as simple as that? And am I just being a stubborn dumbass by refusing to accept the Alchemy version of Magic into my heart?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dingo with a joint posted:

Can someone please explain to me the set difference between Explorer and Historic? Most of my collection just rotated out of being Standard legal, and I'd assumed I'd be able to play it as-is in Historic. No, turns out Historic is Alchemy+, not Standard+. Instead, there's this thing called Explorer that contains all my Kaldheim cards as-is, and it's like Historic, but not quite. And I can't for the life of me work out what that "but not quite" amounts to. Which sets are Historic but not Explorer? Or is it not as simple as that? And am I just being a stubborn dumbass by refusing to accept the Alchemy version of Magic into my heart?

Explorer is everything that is on arena and in the paper format Pioneer (basically everything except Alchemy stuff), Historic is just everything on arena. Bans excepted of course.

And, by and large you can just play standard/explorer decks in Alchemy, the Alchemy rebalanced cards are relatively few and far between. Changing the decks over for HIstoric that DO have them is a faff though.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Can I get some feedback on this draft?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3bafed57a3444f929f798a96f1667c6f

I'm new to drafting and feel like I don't have much understanding of which cards are good. I started with black, but felt like I wasn't getting passed many black cards so switched to blue/red. I tuned my deck a little between games because it felt like I had too much/the wrong kind of interaction and not enough creatures.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The most insane thing about this format is how all the dual colored legends have active synergy between the other dual colored legends that share their colors. Super impressive.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I've been experimenting with a bunch of decks in Standard and I think it's pretty clear that black is simply overpowered at the moment relative to pretty much everything else.

Sheoldred, Lili, and Meathook Massacre provide too much value, and I think that Sheoldred will need to eat a ban.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

So I've been experimenting with a bunch of decks in Standard and I think it's pretty clear that black is simply overpowered at the moment relative to pretty much everything else.

Sheoldred, Lili, and Meathook Massacre provide too much value, and I think that Sheoldred will need to eat a ban.

If anything is likely to eat a ban (and we're still only a week out from release, give it time) it's Hook. That -x-x wipe plus a bunch of drain is absolutely meta defining, and it's from an older set so they'll try to hit it first if anything needs it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Urcher posted:

Can I get some feedback on this draft?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3bafed57a3444f929f798a96f1667c6f

I'm new to drafting and feel like I don't have much understanding of which cards are good. I started with black, but felt like I wasn't getting passed many black cards so switched to blue/red. I tuned my deck a little between games because it felt like I had too much/the wrong kind of interaction and not enough creatures.

I think I would have made similar picks, I think I would have tried to work with my early picks more closely at the start of pack 1 though, Drag to the Bottom would have made me pick Eerie Soultender over Baird p1p3, and if I thought I was gonna play Baird I would go Destroy Evil over Battlefly Swarm.

The only other thing that stood out to me was, from personal experience and the stats Phasing of Zhalfir is one of the worst cards in the set, Tolarian Geyser is way better

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
https://sealeddeck.tech/KkeOTU1icJ

I would love someone to take a look at this sealed pool. I can see at least 3 different shards to play, or try and push for the full 5 color soup and I'm paralyzed with options.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm seeing Sultai being the right call, ti covers most of your rares, and you have 3 Vineshapers as well as a number of other excellent cards in that colour set such as two Tear Asunder, etc

Potentially putting in off-colour taplands might be useful for Domain but I kinda doubt it.

I'd look at something like this

Deck
1 Contaminated Aquifer
1 Urborg Repossession
1 Joint Exploration
1 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Splatter Goblin
1 Leaf-Crowned Visionary
2 Tear Asunder
3 Vineshaper Prodigy
1 Phyrexian Espionage
2 Soaring Drake
1 Braids, Arisen Nightmare
1 Phyrexian Rager
1 The Phasing of Zhalfir
1 Drag to the Bottom
1 Extinguish the Light
1 Rona, Sheoldred's Faithful
1 Nael, Avizoa Aeronaut
1 Silverback Elder
1 Territorial Maro
1 Writhing Necromass

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Network42 posted:

I would love someone to take a look at this sealed pool. I can see at least 3 different shards to play, or try and push for the full 5 color soup and I'm paralyzed with options.
https://sealeddeck.tech/jI1biFz1kX this speaks to me

Maybe Founding is good idk

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Absolutely no one is going to be banning Sheoldred. She's 1:1 with removal or counters unlike meathook with its wipe and life gain or fable with its 2-for-1 with discard and draw attached.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #19

https://www.17lands.com/draft/0d50ef855e06461f94069a3088f60efb

Second time I've seen a Chaplain and the first time I've gotten passed a second. This doesn't feel anywhere near as busted as some of the Chaplain decks people have posted. I tried to build around it but I didn't seem presented with the best options and I felt like I had to hedge on some choices. Like, I think I need to play Librarian for scrying to glue this together? Feels like trying to play any of the red cards or Nael would be too shaky here

Edit: already fighting for my life in game 1 lol, i remembered that having a lifegain onboard trick helps after losing to it last draft

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 10, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

The most insane thing about this format is how all the dual colored legends have active synergy between the other dual colored legends that share their colors. Super impressive.

yeah they really followed a k.i.s.s. approach to the color pie in this set and it's really refreshing. Honestly my first couple of limited games reminded me a lot of the original dominaria limited environment

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

kalel posted:

yeah they really followed a k.i.s.s. approach to the color pie in this set and it's really refreshing. Honestly my first couple of limited games reminded me a lot of the original dominaria limited environment

Yeah, I was super dubious about the 'each colour just has an identity, build your own colour combos' thing, and it felt a little difficult to get my head round at first, but it makes a lot of sense now and it feels like it leads to a much better draft environment than a lot of recent sets.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Simply Simon posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/jI1biFz1kX this speaks to me

Maybe Founding is good idk

I'm waffling between this and grixis spells. Grixis does have better fixing but the low end is red heavy and the high is double black with blue though out so I can see some mana tension. Goblin picker should help loot but personally I think the curve should be a bit higher so I added some drakes added along with Rona. Maybe think academy wall to have a "free" looting effect if you are trying to do the spell casting thing.

A cutdown or urborg -2/-2 would be nice but it's sealed.

Grixis

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If you had a legal Standard deck that isn't legal in Historic, then you probably have cards in your Standard deck that got "adjusted". Historic is Alchemy+, but whenever you get a Standard card you'll get the adjusted version as well. So, for example, if your Standard deck had Luminarch Aspirant or Goldspan Dragon, then you'll need to replace them with the alchemy (nerfed) version of both those cards for Historic. You already own these cards, look for the ones with the Arena Symbol before their name (eg, A-Luminarch Ascendant, etc)

Historic is -roughly- every card on Arena, with a ban list, and including Alchemized versions of cards rather than the real versions.

Explorer is the Arena-equivalent of Pioneer, a paper format that starts at Return to Ravnica and includes all cards from that set forward. It follows whatever is legal (not banned) in Pioneer, and also Tibalt's Trickery is banned.

And to your final question, yes.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Ithle01 posted:

Absolutely no one is going to be banning Sheoldred. She's 1:1 with removal or counters unlike meathook with its wipe and life gain or fable with its 2-for-1 with discard and draw attached.

Meathook felt powerful but fine in the previous meta. I'd be happy for them to ban it, but Sheoldred just feels really punishing for a 4 drop. They have to get rid of something because mono B is way too strong right now.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Am I just being a stubborn dumbass by refusing to accept the Alchemy version of Magic into my heart?

I'm interested in other's opinions on this, because I think it's pretty obvious paper/Arena is going in a weird split direction at this point with the power level of some of the alchemy cards.

There's at least 5 cards in there that are 100% playables (For the sake of discussion, I have specifically molten impact in mind), so do those cards just have no chance to ever make it to paper? If that's the case, hasn't the ship already sailed on ever having the true-to-paper experience for arena formats using alchemy?

As a guy who pivoted from paper to digital strictly because it's cheaper to maintain a collection and play this way as I've gotten older, I have grown to really like alchemy, but disagree with making it legal in any of the older formats in arena (as they were established formats meant to EVENTUALLY mirror paper, was my understanding.)

I played a bunch of ladder alchemy last month because I so enjoyed the mono-R list with Ambergris. I see alchemy as a way for them to shunt some of the "future league" testing they do in-house off on the players. I think that a non-zero number of these alchemy cards will see print eventually, or has that been explicitly said as something that won't happen?

Alchemy, y'all.

Standingstoic fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 10, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Standingstoic posted:

I'm interested in other's opinions on this, because I think it's pretty obvious paper/Arena is going in a weird split direction at this point with the power level of some of the alchemy cards. There's at least 5 cards in there that are 100% playables (For the sake of discussion, I have specifically molten impact in mind), so do those cards just have no chance to ever make it to paper? If that's the case, hasn't the ship already sailed on ever having the true-to-paper experience for arena formats using alchemy?

As a guy who pivoted from paper to digital strictly because it's cheaper to maintain a collection and play this way as I've gotten older, I have grown to really like alchemy, but disagree with making it legal in any of the older formats in arena (as they were established formats meant to EVENTUALLY mirror paper, was my understanding.)

I played a bunch of ladder alchemy last month because I so enjoyed the mono-R list with Ambergris. I see alchemy as a way for them to shunt some of the "future league" testing they do in-house off on the players. I think that a non-zero number of these alchemy cards will see print eventually, or has that been explicitly said as something that won't happen?

Alchemy, y'all.

General feeling in the thread is Alchemy is kinda meh and kinda pointless, and I don't think I've seen much in the way of enthusiasm for it.

I played it fairly enthusiastically for the first set (although without investing more than a few uncommons) but I found that I quickly stopped bothering to try when the next set came out but the alchemy set didn't release concurrently.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Standingstoic posted:

I'm interested in other's opinions on this, because I think it's pretty obvious paper/Arena is going in a weird split direction at this point with the power level of some of the alchemy cards.

There's at least 5 cards in there that are 100% playables (For the sake of discussion, I have specifically molten impact in mind), so do those cards just have no chance to ever make it to paper? If that's the case, hasn't the ship already sailed on ever having the true-to-paper experience for arena formats using alchemy?

Alchemy, y'all.

there are some cards that are digital only because they were in the arena starter decks when the game first came out, but past those all the alchemy cards do things that you can't actually print in paper for various reasons (mostly memory issues or trust issues).

you will not ever see alchemy outside the explicitly digital only formats on arena (alchemy and historic, and derivatives like historic brawl). the true to paper formats like standard and explorer are on arena to be alternatives to those.

I'm fine with alchemy and think it's in a rough spot because it works nice as an alternative to standard when standard sucks, but standard hasn't sucked since alchemy first landed. alchemy cards barely affect historic IMO and the format still feels good

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
What I've seen of alchemy tells me that it's wotc's chance to commit every possible abuse of the online card game format possible: dodging ban compensation, lowering investment in card balance because lol who cares we can patch it later, and absurd power creep all the way up to pushing you to buy the same set multiple times for the ultra-power-crept versions of the paper set.

Rotation isn't enough anymore, profits must perpetually increase.

thespaceinvader posted:

I played it fairly enthusiastically for the first set (although without investing more than a few uncommons) but I found that I quickly stopped bothering to try when the next set came out but the alchemy set didn't release concurrently.

Note that this is no accident: they want you to buy the standard set, then also buy the powered-up alchemy set later.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 10, 2022

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Network42 posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/yFnwjgNrz4

GBu plays your best cards, it's packed with of 2-for-1s, interaction and creatures. Mana gets awkward with all the double and triple pips but it's probably worth the trade-off; it's also the reason I'm not going into 4th or 5th colours. I typically lean towards kicking Vineshaper in Sealed but with 3 I'm happy to play the first as a 2 to pressure or trade early because the late game is solid.

https://sealeddeck.tech/Sq9s6OCumu

This is my build of UR. I don't really like it because of the less good 2 drops and subpar spells. I wouldn't splash in this one beyond the duals for kicker because the other colours don't add enough to what needs to be a consistent deck.

wei fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Another 1-3, I guess this is my life now

It took me 28 drafts to zero out in NEO (with 3 trophies on the way), it took me 35 drafts to zero out in SNC (with 2 trophies on the way), I am about to zero out after 20 drafts with 1 trophy this set, which means that after nearly a year I guess I am getting worse at playing this game lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
P1p3: I think espionage plays better with what you have so far plus it's stats are better than baird.

P1p4 Swarm isn't a strong card and doesn't play well with your pool so far. Id be on land or maginoth sentry. If you want to build around baird instead then destroy evil and keldon strike team are both high winrate cards.

P1p5-p1p8 are all just bad cards you're taking over lands to fuel your domain stuff. Third path in particular is dog poo poo.

Pack two i just can't follow what you're trying to build towards.

To avoid being completely negative: I do think you built the best deck out of the pool you had at the end (deck 1 i mean). Looks like you got frustrated and tried to make your deck greedier but the problem was just too many burned picks in the draft.

quote:

I'm new to drafting and feel like I don't have much understanding of which cards are good.

Next draft, open up 17lands card ratings beforehand and spend the first few picks picking out 3--5 cards that look good and checking out their stats (game in hand is the best number to look at). A lot of cards play out differently from how they read and if you're not sure, you don't have to be guessing.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 10, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Urcher posted:

I'm new to drafting and feel like I don't have much understanding of which cards are good.

little munchkin posted:

Next draft, open up 17lands card ratings beforehand and spend the first few picks picking out 3--5 cards that look good and checking out their stats (game in hand is the best number to look at). A lot of cards play out differently from how they read and if you're not sure, you don't have to be guessing.

The 17lands stats page is overwhelming at first, I'd recommend https://www.limitedgrades.com/dmu which takes the win rates and converts them to a letter grade. Also, Dominaria United is a highly synergistic set, so the raw stats might not tell the whole picture. For example, Wingmantle Chaplain is the 4th winningest card in the entire set, but you have to properly draft your deck around it to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Decided to give Bo3 draft a shot and have been in the queue for 5 min with only half the seats filled. Wild how long it takes compared to Bo1