Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Delsaber posted:

Pretty sure Gryz's Crash is at least kinda notable for potentially working on both biological and mechanical enemies, while a lot of the other instakills only target one or the other. I don't remember if his Brose tech also works that way, but he barely has enough TP to cast it more than a few times anyway.

I want to say 14-16 should be okay, but I'm a bit hazy on the specifics, plus I tend to overlevel a little. If you haven't run the available Hunter's Guild sidequests or taken a peek inside the odd crater near Aiedo, that should get your levels in a good place and put enough meseta in your pockets to buy everything you need from the good weapon shop. The crater also has a fun lore connection.

The cave that connects the Aiedo region to Zio's area can be a good grinding spot if you still need one after that. The little slimes in there will combine into a larger one if you leave at least two alive for long enough, which should then drop relatively good XP for little effort since they can all be instakilled in various ways, I think

The town closest to Zio's Fort also has a bit of gear in chests that you have to hug the city walls to get to. Same trick will work in other towns, too

I went through all of that by the skin of my teeth. The sandworm caused a game over twice at around level 9, and I definitely missed some exploring in Seed. Also I didn't explore the cave very thoroughly and only made it to the town outside of the castle with 2 characters alive. I think my average level was around 9 when I first got there because Hahn keeps dying. I may go back through the cave now that I'm a bit higher in level to see what gear I can still upgrade.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not sure what your setup is right now, but early in the game there's an aoe combination attack that should wipe most enemies in one go. I think it needs skills from Chaz, Alys, and Hahn though.

I actually discovered this by accident last night and it was pretty cool. It's also relatively cheap so it's great crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Walla posted:

I went through all of that by the skin of my teeth. The sandworm caused a game over twice at around level 9, and I definitely missed some exploring in Seed. Also I didn't explore the cave very thoroughly and only made it to the town outside of the castle with 2 characters alive. I think my average level was around 9 when I first got there because Hahn keeps dying. I may go back through the cave now that I'm a bit higher in level to see what gear I can still upgrade.

If you don't mind losing a little damage output, you can put two shields on Hahn and let him defend while the others attack, then just use Hahn's techs instead of weapons when necessary. He can be hard to keep alive sometimes since I don't think he can equip most of the same armour as Chaz or Gryz, and being stuck with knives instead of swords means he doesn't even get that minor defense boost either.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There's another SRPG coming next week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1636660/Absolute_Tactics_Daughters_of_Mercy/

Has anyone played the demo? Class based SRPGs with dual classing is my weakness, although everything about it sounds kinda generic.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jack Move is a good time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junpei posted:

Jack Move is a good time.
the demo was fun, i hope the full game pans out ok. i might get it at my next payday

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GrandpaPants posted:

There's another SRPG coming next week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1636660/Absolute_Tactics_Daughters_of_Mercy/

Has anyone played the demo? Class based SRPGs with dual classing is my weakness, although everything about it sounds kinda generic.

Oh jeez, that style is way too busy looking

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone else think the angle of the character art look mismatched with the angle of the map?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

FirstAidKite posted:

Does anyone else think the angle of the character art look mismatched with the angle of the map?

yeah the perspective is definitely off. The planes are misaligned, the characters are drawn for a slightly lower horizon line, rather than isometric grid

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm trying to decide whether to get Triangle Strategy now, or wait for Tactics Ogre. Might not have the stomach for both over a few months period...

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1567920348821159936

Virtual RPG quilt with my favorite games over the years. If you recognize them all, you can join the Royalty Club of RPG Lovers I just founded.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Electromax posted:

Virtual RPG quilt with my favorite games over the years. If you recognize them all, you can join the Royalty Club of RPG Lovers I just founded.
Dragon Quest / FF1 / Phantasy Star 4 / ?
Earthbound / Lufia 2 / FF6 / Chrono Trigger / SMRPG / Lunar? / Pokeymans
Wild ARMs / FF7 / ? / Some Breath of Fire game maybe? / ? / FF8 / Xenogears
? / Vagrant Story / Chrono Cross / ? / ? / Persona 5

is the best I can do, but I never played FF 9 or 10, they're probably in there somewhere.

edit: wait, I recognize the little menu icons in the one before FF8, that's Legend of Dragoon I think.

Selane fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 9, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the one before p5 is undertale, and the one before undertale is ff10

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I recognized all the ones I've actually played, and a couple of the ones I haven't. The description in the deviantart link lists them all if you want to check your answers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I recognized all of them except Xenogears. It and Undertale are the only games on there that I haven't played.

E: Dragon Quest | Final Fantasy | Phantasy Star IV | Breath of Fire
Earthbound | Lufia 2 | Final Fantasy III (VI) | Chrono Trigger | Super Mario RPG | Lunar | Pokemon
Wild Arms | Final Fantasy VII | Dragon Quest VII | Breath of Fire III | Legend of Dragoon | Final Fantasy VIII | apparently Xenogears
Final Fantasy IX | Vagrant Story | Chrono Cross | Final Fantasy X | Undertale | Persona 5

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 9, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Selane posted:

Dragon Quest / FF1 / Phantasy Star 4 / ?
Earthbound / Lufia 2 / FF6 / Chrono Trigger / SMRPG / Lunar? / Pokeymans
Wild ARMs / FF7 / ? / Some Breath of Fire game maybe? / ? / FF8 / Xenogears
? / Vagrant Story / Chrono Cross / ? / ? / Persona 5

is the best I can do, but I never played FF 9 or 10, they're probably in there somewhere.

edit: wait, I recognize the little menu icons in the one before FF8, that's Legend of Dragoon I think.

Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star IV, Breath of Fire
Earthbound, Lufia 2, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Lunar, Pokemon
Wild Arms, FF7, DQ7, BoF3, Legend of Dragoon, FF8, Xenogears
FF9, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, FFX, Undertale, Persona 5

I just clicked the link to the art and the games were in the text box below.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Pretty good coverage in the answers!

I actually looked through quite a bit more - and a part of it was laziness of not wanting to draw too many - but I did consider what changed significantly. All the DQs 2-6 are pretty similar, and overall the whole series is very consistent. FF kind of had a look from 2-7, but then has gone with names without boxes for the most part. I was surprised multiple games used Wild Arms' plus-shaped action selection, but only Xenogears had a circle. The PS2 era I didn't really get into but there is probably some more garish/different stuff there like Xeno and Star Ocean.

Secret of Mana was the other one I considered, but it's pretty minimalist.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was surprised there wasn't any Suikoden in there. S2 at least seems pretty well-appreciated around these parts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just remembered how good Tales of Berseria is and how the director of that game never directed anything before or since, so I'm never going to get anything similar again, and now I'm sad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Electromax posted:

I'm trying to decide whether to get Triangle Strategy now, or wait for Tactics Ogre. Might not have the stomach for both over a few months period...

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1567920348821159936

go with triangle strategy imo. you may still be in the mood for tactics ogre by november, they scratch some different srpg itches

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dang chapter 6 of trails sky 3rd is long, there's so many blank spaces for checkpoint terminals!!! i finished the academy though, that wasn't that big a deal. now i am at the robot factory

i think my one complaint about trails 3rd is that arts feel very useless outside of very specific circumstances. the flow of battle is too fast for arts to really be worth the charge time even with Cast 3-5 equipped, and then.. most enemies are not vulnerable to pretty much anything other than like time magic, so it's like... why are arts even in this one outside of a couple of boss strategies? i have characters that have an ATS of like 1400+ and their strongest stuff is not dealing any more damage than your average skill attack, or at least is not doing a better than equivalent damage per round.

i'm mostly going with kevin, estelle, tita, and a rotating 4th character (for this chapter it's basically required). i still like schera's skills like the all-AT-advance skill which I abused the gently caress out of in 2nd. renne would be cool if arts were useful. joshua and zin are pretty strong. i haven't played around with richard or agate yet.

the original writers apparently think its funny for tita to constantly be harassed/idolized by people even though she's, you know, 13. i feel bad for the xseed writers having to deal with that. there's a bit where everyone goes "hell yea agate, tita likes you! no big deal about an age gap!" and it's like, yikes yikes yikes. stop it. knock it off

the game's mostly been fair difficulty wise but there was one tough fight and one very annoying fight. the tough fight was the ch4 end boss that had the two helpers, and the very annoying fight was the spider family in ch5, that one took like 40-ish minutes even when impeding the spider that tries to heal just because it took a long time just to get their HP down... then the mother appearing!!! ahhhhh!!! but it only two took tries at least.

i've done some of the star/moon/sun doors but i'm finding them not super exciting, because characters will just bring up stuff that is shown in those doors, making watching them pointless. like there's a door where you see what happens with kilika, and then zin just tells you the whole deal with kilika in a random dialogue in the hermit's garden!! the turret game was uhh interesting. the door with the guardian that has like 8 pals whose attacks have 100% chance of petrify can gently caress off

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 9, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes. Though the art and animation in general just seems slightly off but I can't place my finger on why. Fell Seal had the same issue which kept me from being able to play it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meguroshoji/guns-undarkness

Shoji Meguro's started a kickstarter for a new game of his, a Persona and MGS-inspired strategy RPG.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh hey, popolocrois story just got a translation patch!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6652/

i've played an hour or so of the PSP game and it didn't really do anything for me but i kinda want to check this out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tragic: the chests in chapter 7 of trails in the sky 3rd have no special empty messages

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

tragic: the chests in chapter 7 of trails in the sky 3rd have no special empty messages

Given the plot revelations in that chapter it wouldn't have been appropriate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just found out that Yoko Taro is the creative director of the Voice of Cards games but from little I saw of those games they seen incredibly generic.

Does anyone know if there's any Yoko Taro-ness in those games?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Given the plot revelations in that chapter it wouldn't have been appropriate.
i suppose but it's not like chapter 6 was super light?

anyway i've got the 'point of no return' warning for chapter 8 so i will probably do some doors now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what does yoko taro-ness mean, exactly

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I started Suikoden after having never played it and I'm looking for guides for not missing any of the guys because I understand there's a ton of them to get but I literally keep running into big spoilers trying to read any. very dumb

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looper posted:

what does yoko taro-ness mean, exactly

All characters are loving freaks, everything sucks and at some point an innocent girl gets violently murdered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I started Suikoden after having never played it and I'm looking for guides for not missing any of the guys because I understand there's a ton of them to get but I literally keep running into big spoilers trying to read any. very dumb

http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S1

the suikosource guides have some spoilers but usually not terrible ones

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S1

the suikosource guides have some spoilers but usually not terrible ones

even this one has kind of immediately in front of your eyes "available after you become leader of the resistance" which isn't exactly the most high intensity spoiler in a '90s JRPG but drat!

e: I wish these were more like "okay no sweat until you get to the Lake Fortress, then make sure you talk to everyone." generalized, vague, so I remain pure during my playthrough of the hundred-year-old game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Suikosource's guide (which Endorph linked) or this one go in order of when they're earliest available, so it should be fairly easy to avoid the (admittedly light) spoilers in those guides.

even this one has kind of immediately in front of your eyes "available after you become leader of the resistance" which isn't exactly the most high intensity spoiler in a '90s JRPG but drat!

e: I wish these were more like "okay no sweat until you get to the Lake Fortress, then make sure you talk to everyone." generalized, vague, so I remain pure during my playthrough of the hundred-year-old game

Suikoden recruitment can get pretty esoteric in its requirements so guides can't really get more vague without it being to the point of uselessness.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 10, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

with how recruits are setup in suikoden i dont think its really possible sadly. a lot of recruits become available due to event flags, not locations

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Namnesor posted:

Suikosource's guide (which Endorph linked) or this one go in order of when they're earliest available, so it should be fairly easy to avoid the (admittedly light) spoilers in those guides.

Suikoden recruitment can get pretty esoteric in its requirements so guides can't really get more vague without it being to the point of uselessness.

Endorph posted:

with how recruits are setup in suikoden i dont think its really possible sadly. a lot of recruits become available due to event flags, not locations

I get it, just annoying. I think I'll use that GameFAQs one, at the least it just has it in order rather than saying what plot point directly. arigatou

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Plus there are a few recruitable characters with plot significance who are still missable depending on certain very dramatic choices you can make. It's really hard/impossible to talk about without spoilers, but hopefully you'll know it when it happens (and keep a backup save.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a bit hard not to spoil but a lot of them are very clear.

A few relatively spoiler free hints:

Pahn needs to be well leveled and equipped. A fight that may seem unwinnable isn't.
If someone is a gambler, beating them usually lets you recruit.
Don't execute prisoners and defeated foes.
When you encounter Holly Faries, fight them until you get a Nameless Urn. This is necessary to recruit a character.
Toe Shoes let you dance better.
DO NOT STEP ON PLANTS.
If anyone implies to come back later, come back when your castle is leveled up.
The Cave of the Past contains multiple items needed to recruit characters and a secret passage which contains a character.
Make sure to check your prison if someone is put in there.
If someone has a portrait they are most likely recruitable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Knowing who is recruitable or how to is also a spoiler. If you uwanna play blind just play the game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Knowing who is recruitable or how to is also a spoiler. If you uwanna play blind just play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcO64eMMhkU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

For real. Guides are best for a second playthrough to get what you missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

So you want no spoilers because you want the pure experience of a first timer but you want all the knowledge of someone that's played it a dozen times. I don't think that makes much sense.

Part of the fun of a blind first run is that....you're gonna miss poo poo and that's fine. It seems weird to get mad about spoilers when you're...actively looking for things that could be spoilers.