Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Go go, godlings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Apotheosis: 1d100+4 = 55

Alas, a god i shall not be.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Rolling for Liberlibra, Goddess of Libraries...

1d100+3 = 98!?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
...does Orokos want another shot at Divinity?: 1d100+4 40

The answer is no.

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
Passe, God of Doors

Godhood: 1d100+4 89

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Kaeir, God of Patience

Apotheosis: 1d100+4 102

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1d100+4=31

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Rift, Goddess of Spaces Between
Godhood, perhaps: 1d100+4 74

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kurtlegrim, God of Conniving

Engoddening: 1d100 67 +4, 71

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 31, 2022

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Betthan-U, God of Competition attempts to engodden!

1d100+4=40

It wouldn't be this time. But one day the glories of the High Score would be brought to this world!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

May I be born?: 1d100+4 5

No. I very much may not be born.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Rightrite, God of Monasticism

Engoddening: 1d100+4 36

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Apotheosis: 1d100+2 36

Whelp, not this time. Although I tied the guy right before me, that's neat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
God Roll: 1d100+4 66

Not good enough, sadly.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Engoddening, Age 2: 1d100+4 76

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
THAT'S IT, RECRUITMENT CLOSED

Here's the Gods of our second Age!
GODS
Skein, God of Binding
Acos, God of Stability
Liberlibra, Goddess of Libraries
Kaier, God of Patience
Passe, God of Doors

That's, like, semi-final? It's up to the winners whether they want to swap out with someone else or whatever, but otherwise we're off to the races. From Gods, I need your Icon, a figure drawn on this grid:

Pick a single colour and connect the lines however you want in a single colour with STRAIGHT lines or circle segments. No wiggly lines because I’m using a new program and I don’t know how to do that. This Icon will represent you to the People of Nowhere, so wear it proudly atop your Godly posts!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 6, 2022

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010

How exciting! Here you go.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Acos is ready to make sure everything is as it should be!

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

Hope this works all right as Liberlibra's emblem!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I humbly bow this round out due to sudden pandemic.

I went 2.5 years without catching. :mad:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
thats a drat shame. hope to catch you on the next round!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

That's a shame! Hope you feel better.

Looks like you're up then! Let me know if you still want in!

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?

Dog Kisser posted:

Looks like you're up then! Let me know if you still want in!

Well, dang.

Politique, the Communal Spirit

Gothic Rite fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 8, 2022

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

I humbly bow this round out due to sudden pandemic.

I went 2.5 years without catching. :mad:

Mad shame. Try to roll good again next Age and app the God of Ill-Timed Plagues to make up for it.

And if you're up for it, remember to still vote and accrue Wisp Points so you can keep your advantage goin'!

PepperedMoth posted:

Hope this works all right as Liberlibra's emblem!

Chatrapati posted:

Acos is ready to make sure everything is as it should be!

The Wandering Mage posted:

How exciting! Here you go.

Gothic Rite posted:

Well, dang.

These are all great and I'm looking forward to seeing what divine antics you guys get up to. :allears:

And Aabcehmu, too! With their hourglass icon. That discord-havers got to see.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Gods sank towards the worlds and found them changed. Time is… Odd, in the Ocean, uncoupled from the orderly unrolling within Nowhere. While the Gods were sealed from entering, generations of People lived and died, alone. How long had the first Gods played upon this place? A few weeks? Months? A year? And yet like a pinball thrown into an inkwell the acts of the first Gods cast ripples into the far distant future - the future of now.

For here are the Five of the Second Age, the newest Gods of Nowhere. Passing through the Barrier, sealing it behind them, they became:

THE GODS OF THE SECOND AGE posted:

Politique, the Communal Spirit / Acos, God of Stability / Liberlibra, Goddess of Libraries / Kaeir, God of Patience / Passe, God of Doors
The whooped and whirled and tore through the sky and the People stopped in their tracks and stared. Stared in elated shock, feeling impossibly blessed to have been born into another era of the Gods. Well now, People, lets not get ahead of ourselves - the Gods have yet to prove themselves, and they are newcomers to boot. Let us show them around!

The bright planetoid of Oneder unfolded itself beneath their gaze, revealing the changes that the passing of the Ages had wrought. Structures! Civilization! Or, at least, the trappings of it. Great villages of Asaurted and Plungerboa, boxy structures of different sizes plainly serving to service Peoples of very different sizes. The Gods entered one such village to get a better view. Here, Peoples of various sorts (well, of large Dinosaur and small Pinball sorts) often entered a central storage… box… building - it was frankly difficult to tell them apart, save for the glowing neon markings that adorned them - with goods and returned without them. The Gods, curious, passed through the walls as though they weren’t there and discovered a marvel.

Surrounded by a riot of boxes and containers of all shapes and sizes, an Idol lay upon an altar. Plainly the People had discovered it and its properties at some point during the Godless Age and installed it here for its benefits. Good for them. They seemed to be doing well, overall, the partnership between the Peoples of Dinosaur and Pinball strong and steady after all this time.

Baxie, aged but still hale, hailed the Gods with a bow. My lords and ladies, long have I awaited your return! Er, arrival. It’s a little complicated I guess? Anyhow, I was charged by the other guys to unite all the Peoples, you know? It’s gone… well, the results have been mixed. Those axefaces bas- individuals have refused contact forever now, and have insisted on busting our pinballs for generations. We can’t just go out there and crush them because… well, I was commanded not to, and I’d really like to try to complete my quest! A little help?
(The Asaurted and the Plungerboa, across Oneder, have banded together in a formal way. Though both Peoples have different cultures, political structures, and what have you, they cohabitate together and even use the same buildings for different purposes at different scales. Baxie the Hero has worked wonders here, smoothing relations over time to the point where right now both Peoples get along famously. The largest village, Bigbox, also bears an Idol known as Crate-Rewards-Await. Aardiche raids remain a problem, but they can do little but steal and vandalize against the combined forces.)

Ah, yes, the other People of Oneder. Distancing themselves from the bustle of village life, the Gods sought out the wild Axelands, the outskirts of the outskirts. There, the Aardiche carved out a life that seemed every bit as complex and stratified as the others, if wholly different in design. One Axe Person sniffed the air as the Gods arrived, beak curling in a sneer. The Gods have returned! I will confess that I was uncertain you would. Your predecessors were not kind to our folk, ladling on blessings and glories to the other Peoples and giving us dregs. Well, we turned away from those scraps and grew great and strong on our own. We will… allow you to come among us, but do not expect a welcome as warm as mine everywhere you go. This is a difficult life, but it is one we’ve cut for ourselves!

It does look difficult, but the People themselves are hardy folks. Still solitary, they gather in small family bands, only coming together in larger groups for rare rituals and ceremonies. They live largely in caves and fissures carved into the landscape rather than building themselves, though inside these are well appointed in their own way. The Gods flitted through these until they found the thing that had pulled them here. It was quite a sight.

It was plainly no mere Axe, and though other weapons had been placed around it almost worshipfully, it stood above. A Miracle, powerful relic of a fallen God, able to allow a Person (under Godly direction) to perform truly divine feats. The Aardiche who had spoken to them first called upon them once again. Yes, we found this in the wilds, wresting it away from that… Hero of theirs many years back. It resists our efforts to draw out its power, but even we can see it thrumming just below the surface. Dear Gods, give us the strength to strike back.”

(The Aardiche really have not changed much, even after all this time. They are superbly well adapted to their solitary lives, and are absolutely the apex predator of this world. And yet, their Magic-Resistance has made grasping the magics of the Elements all but impossible, and their reluctance to come together has made a serious shift of the status quo an impossible dream - though one that drives and influences much of their society.)

The Gods rose from the world, lightly troubled by the difficulties faced there. And yet, those Peoples were not unique. Twomb, dark twin to Oneder, grew steadily in the sky as the fell towards it. This place, too, was shockingly different. Ice and Neon wove together, glowing translucent and gelid in the darkness. The base of the Flickerfare, that great and nigh-impossible task, had grown immensely over the Godless time - though it was still hard to imagine it would ever bridge the sky. Much of Shiverm and Maraqueet society has come to center here; and why not, when much of the resources extracted from the world end up here anyhow?

Still, though the task is hard and endless, the People are happy. Though there were some… setbacks, the People are happy to be able to show the Gods their progress, to show them just how far they were able to come on their own. The Hero of Neon, Noble, dove from the sky and came to a delicate landing before the Gods, sketching a flourishing bow that saw his bright tail feathers blazing like the Wisps far above. ”Welcome back, oh Gods! Look upon the Flickerfare! It’s very big! Also, look upon this thing we found!” He hurried them along to a secret chamber within the Bridge’s foundation, where he revealed yet another Miracle.

”If someone could just… crack this open or whatever, it would really help us along. We think. Er, your Godlinesses. Oh, right, something else - what happened to the Ink? The others are too young to really understand the difference, but… well, look at it!”

(The Shiverm and Maraqueet have as close a relationship as their cousins from another world, though if anything theres is more solid due to a shared, driving purpose. The fall of the Flickerfare has brought them even closer together, as they leaned upon eachother in the difficult years of demolition and reconstruction. They are significantly behind schedule, but in relatively good spirits.)

The Gods had a sinking suspicion they knew exactly what had happened, though they opted not to tell him at the moment. The flew towards the great Ink seas and were not wholly unsurprised that they could see down into them with unexpected clarity. Ink’s Essence of Obfuscation had been Broken, and so its ability to obscure the depths was gradually leaching away. Indeed, they could see Squild beckoning them from below, and they fell into the black liquid. Beneath the surface, they could see the dark cities of the Ink People, the once black ‘skies’ now letting in a good deal more Wisplight. It was doing wonder for their snackcriculture, however, and they’d even found an unexpected boon!

When the Squild saw the Gods, they, too,, demanded answers. The change in Ink had wrought changes in them, too, though not the same once across the whole People. Parts of their feather mantles had been fading, changing colour, and even their beaks felt strange. Other changes were less obvious. For one thing, young Squild had been suggesting ventures to the surface, to see the People up there. This was on the face of it ridiculous - the Gods had made only the People of Ink, so the legends said - but on the other gripper those surely looked like cities and snacks and whatnot above the Ink. On the other gripper, hadn’t Nib the Careless sought out deeper secrets and been lost, her madness riddled body dragged above the waves to an uncertain fate.

Yes, and there was that other matter. A God had attempted to remain behind, or part of them had, and it had twisted the world. Below, sealed beneath failing scripture, was an abomination. It called to them, as dung calls to the nostril. What a mess. They hoped they wouldn’t have to clean it up.

(The divisions that once held the Squild apart have largely vanished, and the Ink Magic Warpweft is very common among the modern Ink People. They have a lot of practice - the barrier that seals off the Fractal Garden is weakening constantly, and needs frequent repair. The fracture of the Obfuscation Aspect has led to minor changes in their personality, worldview and physiologies, changes that will only grow with time…)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 21, 2024

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
-1 to the last god* to post. Unless someone gives me something neater to support. Hop to it! We can't act patient here, now can we? :colbert:

*called Kaeir redundant

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 11, 2022

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?

The Aardiche posted:

Yes, we found this in the wilds, wresting it away from that… Hero of theirs many years back. It resists our efforts to draw out its power, but even we can see it thrumming just below the surface. Dear Gods, give us the strength to strike back.”

"Give you? Are your people not proud of what they have accomplished on their own? How quickly you cast away what makes your culture unique."

We take the Axe, hefting it over our shape-shifting form. "Come. If you wish to know the secrets of this weapon, then take it. You've bested a Hero. Can you best a God?"

Fight with the Aardiche, using godly magic to test their strength and tactics, forging their know-how and resistance in repelling the Gods themselves. At the end, teach the best warrior to use Belly-Filling-Grain (whatever the axe is) in one of the more secure cavern communes.

Aardiche Fighting Montage!: 1d20 20

Gothic Rite fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 10, 2022

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Scribbleykins posted:

-1 to the last god* to post. Unless someone gives me something neater to support. Hop to it! We can't act patient here, now can we? :colbert:

*called Kaeir

+1 to the Kaeir, out of spite.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 10, 2022

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

The only reason I'm not upwisping this, is that the roll is already maxed out.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

Kaeir, God of Patience

Wisps of golden dust presaged the arrival of Kaeir at the grounds of the Flickerfare. "It is indeed good. I am proud. You set an example I wish to emulate, and to aid my kin in emulating."

This simple message delivered, Kaeir shifts to an open area near but not too near to the Flickerfare's base and begins to construct...something, He had intended to form a sort of clock-spring, a coil of divine substance which could accept and store divine exertion to release it at a later time, but somehow, something went wrong.

Manifest the Laborious Coil: 1d20 1

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Acos, God of Stability 3/3

Nowhere, once perfect, has succumb to chaos and change. Where once the worlds were balanced, now Ink dries out under neon lights, and stable ecologies are destroyed by extractive builders, causing even the duality of Nowhere itself to be under threat. It is time to right these wrongs.

Dog Kisser posted:

Yes, we found this in the wilds, wresting it away from that… Hero of theirs many years back. It resists our efforts to draw out its power, but even we can see it thrumming just below the surface. Dear Gods, give us the strength to strike back.”

Gothic Rite posted:

"Give you? Are your people not proud of what they have accomplished on their own? How quickly you cast away what makes your culture unique."

We take the Axe, hefting it over our shape-shifting form. "Come. If you wish to know the secrets of this weapon, then take it. You've bested a Hero. Can you best a God?"

"Are your people so weak that they must beg for table scraps from interloping gods? Can you not take what has been rightfully yours since time immemorial? Hear this Aardiche- you are right to disdain the gods! Their meddlesome ways have ruined this world, turning predator into prey and prey into predator. You must use your own cunning to bring balance back to this world and become masters of Oneder once more. If you can best this God, know that united you can best anything- take back from the prey species until their buildings are cut down and your bellies are full."

Encouraging the Aardiche to unite in order to destroy the civilisations of the Prey species: 1d20 8

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 11, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
+1 Acos

+_--; 5 wisp

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Welp, turns out I won't need to downvote Aab after all.

So let's return to form by keeping the ball rolling on Gods disappointing the Aardiche, shall we? -1 to Acos!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
-1 Acos

++-0 remain

5 wispings.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
-1 to Acos

++-0

5 Wisppoints

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

Liberlibra, Goddess of Libraries

Knowledge, Liberlibra knew (somehow, deep within the essence of her Divinity) ought rightly to be collected and made freely and readily accessible to the masses.

But when she looked upon the world of Twomb... she saw that while two of Twomb's peoples were united, the other was left alone by nature of their environment--for the Maraqueet and Shiverm peoples could not breathe ink, and the Squild could not readily live outside of the ink.

So Liberlibra erected a building right at the border of land and sea--on a slope, with half beneath the inky waves, and half above, and rows of shelving installed--as near as she could to one of the dwelling-places of the Squild and another of the Maraqueet and Shiverm. The library was built of eternal Ice, and called greatly upon its nature of Stasis to protect its own edifice and the contents within.

And Liberlibra whispered to the Squild, Maraqueet, and Shiverm:

"It is hard for land-dwellers to travel beneath the sea; it is hard, too, for sea-dwellers to travel upon the land. But knowledge can be carried between the two.

Will you offer up the knowledge and wisdom of your peoples to this library, to be shared freely between you?

(Also, does anyone want to be a librarian? I've put a few books on library administration and some shiny librarian badges on the front desks.)"

Liberlibra attempts to build a hybrid land/sea library--and by her divine influence she attempts to make a half-underwater library NOT a completely ludicrous idea by invoking the Stasis aspect of Ice to ensure that all written media in the library's collection remain in the same state that they were at the time they were donated--i.e., they're immune to damage or staining, and paper books can be read underwater underink without being harmed.

Rolling 1d20: 11

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010

Passe

His tour of the lands of Nowhere complete, at long last, Passe settled lightly onto the land near the green, spiked mountain in the northwest corner of Oneder. Cloaked and hooded in a travel-worn green vestment, he tested the ground beneath his feet, wondering at the supple, leathery dino-stuff and appreciating the utter joy it was not to be floating in a directionless aether. But, he did not waste long contemplating such matters. Time was at a premium, so he turned himself to his personally appointed tasks for this age.

He pressed on to the mountainside, on his way noting the passing of a wandering Triceratops Assaurted. Stopping only momentarily, he commanded the Person to follow.

Finally reaching a bare bone cliff face, Passe reached into his vestments and pulled forth a crisp, white piece of chalk. He drew a grandiose doorway - one that could easily fit four or five wagons travelling abreast of one another - onto the cliff face. And it was a door. As if it had always been there, since time began.

He bid the door to open and passed inside, his companion following after. It led to a long tunnel, which finally opened into an eerily lit, incomprehensibly large cavern. Within was a silent city of bone. Hundreds of habitations, thousands of staircases - a labyrinth of alleys and streets - and Doors. Doors of every shape and size and style and nature imaginable.

“I name this place the Vestibule.”

He guided the Person to the centre of this great, empty city. There, a monumental doorway stood, leading nowhere. Its door fastened tightly closed.

Finally, Passe turned to his companion.

“I have brought you here so that you and others who will soon be joining you may know my decree. You are now the First Doorkeeper.”

He bends and touches the Person upon their horned head.

“As a Doorkeeper, you will be tasked with guiding others to the Doors, and counselling them whether they should open them or not.”

Passe gestures to the thousands of doors around them. “Each of these leads to another door that I have spread throughout the realm of Oneder. All beyond this place lead here, and all within this place lead beyond. You and many others like you will be tasked with finding these doors and letting others pass through or barring their entrance.”

He kneels and looks deeply into the eyes of the Person.

“When one approaches to enter a door under your watch, you will ask three questions:
The first: What is your name?
All who wish to pass a door must know who they are.
The Second: What is your quest?
All who wish to pass a door must know why they do so.
And the third question shall be a secret question that will come to you at that time and will test the wisdom of the one who approaches. For some, this question will seem trivial. For others - almost impossible to answer.”

Passe stands. “Go, and help me to explain. Your brothers and sisters come upon us even as we speak.”

Several hundred People from all races and backgrounds begin stumbling through doorways that had appeared before them and drawn them in through their own curiosity. Passe corrals them and explains what he expects of all of these new Doorkeepers.

Short version:

Creating an underground city of Doors known as the Vestibule. Spreading thousands of doors into strange and overlooked spots all over Oneder, all of which open directly into Vestibule. Some doors will only be able to be opened a few times before disappearing and reappearing elsewhere. Others will be present in a particular spot for time immemorial.

Passing on the knowledge of this place to the Doorkeepers, a group of various Peoples given the ideals put forth above.

First Action: 1d20 3

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

+1 to Liberlibra
+0--
Wisp points: 5

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
What... is your favorite colour?

+1 to Passe

[ + = - - ] WisPoints: 4 -> 5