Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

DemoneeHo posted:

You use a plastic broomstick? I thought witches used old fashioned brooms made out of wood.
You have obviously never seen Hocus Pocus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for laughing my rear end off when my live-in boyfriend *stomped his foot* during an argument?

quote:

My live-in boyfriend of two years and I were arguing, it had to have been over something extremely stupid b/c I can barely remember what it was about now

Anyway, during the argument I started inching towards the microwave to try to make some tea and hopefully de-escalate the situation, and my boyfriend got really angry and STOMPED HIS FOOT and made one of those "dadgummit!" elbow motions across his body like an old mining prospector.

I burst out laughing.

Like, I couldn't help it.

I laughed so hard tears were coming out of my eyes.

He looked like Snuffy Smith or Yosemite Sam pitching a fit.

He said "this is serious!" and got super offended b/c I was "belittling" him. Literally called me an "rear end in a top hat." He's still sulking.

So AITA?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

🙋 Hi. I'm the OP jumping back in here.

Everyone asking, I went to a garage sale and didn't bring him back any records.

That's what he was mad about.

Since I took his car, he said I owed it to him to bring him something back, and I know how much he loves old records, and there were old records there, so how could I not bring him back any?

His car is the only car we have now b/c mine died 2 months ago.

I asked if he wanted to go with me early that morning, before I left, and he said "no."

He did not say he wanted anything.

I cannot read minds.

Feel better?

p.s. sorry about the tea.

yes, it's better not made in the microwave, of course, but that's what we have now, so that's what I use. My Mom's electric kettle died, my Mrs. Tea broke, & I don't always have time to put a whistler on the stove and wait. He was really getting mad, so I went to make the tea & needed it ASAP.

I'm sorry.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not telling my wife I'm working late.

quote:

to which she replied that when my wife comes crying to her door at 10pm then it is her business and hung up.
This implies that he got home after 10pm on their anniversary without bothering to update her on what was going on with him at work. I have trouble imagining him making it til the next anniversary without a serious change of attitude.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solenna posted:

This implies that he got home after 10pm on their anniversary without bothering to update her on what was going on with him at work. I have trouble imagining him making it til the next anniversary without a serious change of attitude.

But you don't understand. You don't get it. He's not the worst husband in the world!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AmiYumi posted:

Your slumlord is loving you all over and clumsily siccing tenants on each other as a distraction, and it sounds like it’s working beyond expectations
Oh no, we're all aware. The current owners are the single most hated ones we've ever had, we'd take the actively neglectful original ones over these fucknuggets.

Kenshin posted:

How much does water cost you people that one dude in your apartment complex taking extra showers is adding more than a dollar or two per month to the bill? :psyduck:
No idea, but either they're massaging the numbers (very likely) or someone is using so much goddamn water that the bill is in the triple digits even after being split up to 8 ways.

run on sentience posted:

Do they tell you each unit's individual water usage but still make everyone pay the average? If not, why bother depriving yourself of water when no one else gives a poo poo how much they are using?

Every apartment I've lived in has had water included in rent.
That's the thing, it *was* included in the rent! They actively changed from that, to this. And no, we don't even get a number for how much our own drat apartment used. Just "sup, first of the month is next week, here's your bill, gently caress off".

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No idea, but either they're massaging the numbers (very likely) or someone is using so much goddamn water that the bill is in the triple digits even after being split up to 8 ways.
Holy poo poo, that is a completely bonkers water bill.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uh, so like, do you get to see what the total water bill is before the split. Like the actual bill?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They're just loving you over and lying hth mao was right :ussr:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

May I recommend a little site called reddit.com/r/legaladvice

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh no, we're all aware. The current owners are the single most hated ones we've ever had, we'd take the actively neglectful original ones over these fucknuggets.

That's the thing, it *was* included in the rent! They actively changed from that, to this. And no, we don't even get a number for how much our own drat apartment used. Just "sup, first of the month is next week, here's your bill, gently caress off".
Do you live in Arkansas where renters have zero rights?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Barudak posted:

Uh, so like, do you get to see what the total water bill is before the split. Like the actual bill?
N o p e! We get an itemized list of all the poo poo we're being charged for (including 15 bucks for natural gas because the motherfuckers won't even cover the hot water heater apparently) that only shows everything after it's been divied up, never shall the plebs see that the true totals are.

vortmax posted:

Do you live in Arkansas where renters have zero rights?
Close- Texas.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah this is like, first call to the nearest legal aide or tenant law service. Especially if you didn't sign a new lease or anything and they just decided to change the way $$$ are determined.

Probably moving is going to be in the cards, but you're absolutely being soaked for way too much extra, possibly in a criminal way, and you're gonna have to do the math to see if it's going to be worth it to stay.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

pentyne posted:

Yeah this is like, first call to the nearest legal aide or tenant law service. Especially if you didn't sign a new lease or anything and they just decided to change the way $$$ are determined.

Probably moving is going to be in the cards, but you're absolutely being soaked for way too much extra, possibly in a criminal way, and you're gonna have to do the math to see if it's going to be worth it to stay.
This was an emptyquote, but also that’s so obviously hosed I’d be concerned that they’re starting eviction proceedings anyway, or stealing mail and opening lines of credit or some poo poo

this isn’t gonna end in you living there much longer no matter what you do, plan accordingly

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 11, 2022

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
A good daughter in law!

AITA for explaining what asexuality is to my MIL?

quote:

I (26F) am married to my husband (29M). I'm an asexual. I'm also pregnant.

My MIL is a very lovely lady. She's a bit sheltered but she's very sweet. When I told her I was pregnant, she was confused. She thought that being asexual meant that you didn't have sex so she asked if we did IUI. I laughed and I explained that some asexuals do have sex and not all are sex-repulsed. She was really fascinated and asked me to expand on it, so we sat down together over some tea and I explained all the different types of asexuality (that I know of) to her.

She was awe-struck and she said she thought she was the same type of asexual that I am. I'm an asexual who still has a libido and enjoys sex from time to time but I don't experience sexual attraction. I showed her some websites and then I had to leave to pick up my stepson from school. She called me later on that day and said she really resonated with the stuff that I had told her and she was really happy to learn that there wasn't something wrong with her. I got a little teary because she's in her late sixties and she's spent most of her life thinking that there was something wrong with her. I have a little asexual keyring on my keys, so I ordered a matching one for her and she was delighted. It was honestly so fun seeing her this excited.

She decided to come out to her husband, my FIL. He was not happy at all. He called me and berated me for 'corrupting his wife' with my 'modern views'. He said that I was brainwashed by social media and I was now brainwashing his wife. MIL, who is usually a doormat, actually stood her ground and she told FIL to leave me alone and that he had to accept her identity.

Now they're not speaking to eachother and MIL is staying with us. My husband is on mine and my MIL's side but we've been bombarded with calls from FIL and other family members. According to them, there's no reason for a 65 year old woman with four kids to need a 'label' and her being asexual doesn't matter because she's been married for the past 42 years and they're blaming me for causing a fight between MIL and FIL. I'm starting to feel a little guilty because MIL doesn't like being away from FIL and I feel like I should've just kept my mouth shut.

AITA?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I thought Archie Bunker was fictional.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

IIRC Archie Bunker accepted the gays in his own assholish way after finding out one of his combat buddies was gay.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Archie Bunker could grow

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for locking up the gas station I work at when the overnight girl didn't show up... leaving people waiting in the parking lot?

quote:

I work at a gas station from noon to seven p.m. I have no interest in overnight because of robberies. We have been robbed four times in the last year and it is always between midnight and 3 AM. So I have told my boss that I am not covering those hours and am only available for my exact shift. I am do maybe an hour on either side, but I have no interest in staying later.

The new girl they hired for the overnight shift is unreliable. She has called out sick multiple times a week, but then admitted she went drinking. It is so hard to find people for overnight that they keep her. They sometimes guilt one of the other people into staying late, but even they have started refusing.

Since a few people quit, it is literally just four of us running the station minus the manager. The manager is required to cover any empty shifts, but she doesn't like to do it. She has started asking if I want to do overnight some days--the answer is always no. I don't care how much you are paying. Nope.

Anyways, a few days ago, Karol didn't show up. She didn't call me. I called the management and they said she was sick. I asked when they were coming in to cover. They said they had already started drinking since it was technically their day off... Fine. But I was not staying.

I told them I was locking the door and going home. I had plans with friends at 8 and tickets to a movie. I also had something early in the morning. The manager said she could not have the gas station closed. And I said she should come then.

I locked the doors, cashed out my till, turned off the lights, and went home. I put a note on the door saying we would be open again at 8AM. Someone was pulling into the gas station while I was walking to my car. They said they needed gas and I said I couldn't help them, I was clocked out.

My manager got super upset because a bunch of people called to complain. I told her again, I am not staying late, I don't cover shifts overnight, and I had plans.

AITA?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for locking up the gas station I work at when the overnight girl didn't show up... leaving people waiting in the parking lot?

Sounds to me like opening hours are now 8AM-7PM unless they hire someone reliable for night shift. :shrug:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mx. posted:

I love a story of a worker with a spine

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Lobe posted:

I love a story of a worker with a spine

Maybe OP could lend some of that spine to Mr. "Missing My Child's Birth to Suck Up To My Boss" up there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe OP could lend some of that spine to Mr. "Missing My Child's Birth to Suck Up To My Boss" up there.

Are you crazy? The boss totally promised to try and get that guy a bonus and will definitely not lean on him as the go-to for picking up extra hours, you can't beat that!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sounds to me like opening hours are now 8AM-7PM unless they hire someone reliable for night shift. :shrug:

What's going on is 100% "if they fire that lady it becomes the manager's job to work those shifts until they get the replacement, if they just let her keep flaking the manager can try and pressure other employees to cover every time she flakes."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for Refusing to Photograph my Grandma's Funeral

quote:

It's pretty simple, my family is asking me to photograph my grandma's funeral because I have a nice DSLR and occasionally do family photos for friends. The funeral is in 2 days and I've just been asked today. I was struggling enough to get through my work week knowing the funeral was so soon. Now I'm being asked... No TOLD to work the funeral instead of mourning my grandma. My mother texted me just saying "bring your camera to the funeral."

It's a $1,600 set up that I don't really want to travel 6 hours with and protect in such a difficult emotional time.

I don't even know how to respond to my mom right now. What should I say? Am I the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to do this?

EDIT: I really should explain that I've already been crying a bunch in the days leading up to the funeral and I can only imagine myself being a total wreck the day of and idk how I'm going to keep it together long enough to document things. It'll be hard to look through a viewfinder with blurry vision.

Also my photos are not the most professional thing ever. A cell phone could do the same thing.

My family waited too long and I doubt anyone will take the job of photographing the funeral 2 days before.

I made this post very quickly and want to clarify those things before the comments come in.

Who the gently caress has a photographer at a funeral!? And of those that would, who the gently caress would ask one of the relatives to do it?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

If they could afford to fire you for this they would. Since they haven’t, they probably will never do so. Ask for a raise.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Loving the cojones on the overnight shift lady. "sorry boss I can't come in. i'm already super frosty."

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Hughlander posted:

AITA for Refusing to Photograph my Grandma's Funeral

Who the gently caress has a photographer at a funeral!? And of those that would, who the gently caress would ask one of the relatives to do it?

Yeah, you know what I've absolutely never thought at a funeral? "Gosh, this is so beautiful, I hope someone is getting photos to make sure it's never forgotten." All the funerals I've been to where I was old enough to actually give any fucks about the deceased, I was grieving or at least mourning with my loved ones (one of those funerals was my ex's grandma, who I didn't really know well enough to feel like I was really grieving, but I did mourn with my ex because losing your grandma sucks). If someone had been snapping photos of the event, I would have thrown hands at the sheer tone-deafness of the behaviour.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What in the gently caress is so hard about texting your drat wife about when you’re coming home from work?? She isn’t accusing you of cheating, she wants to know when to expect you and when to start worrying that you’re dead in a ditch somewhere.

Even if he was cheating, he’d have some idea when he’d be done loving his mistress. Christ.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

What in the gently caress is so hard about texting your drat wife about when you’re coming home from work?? She isn’t accusing you of cheating, she wants to know when to expect you and when to start worrying that you’re dead in a ditch somewhere.

Even if he was cheating, he’d have some idea when he’d be done loving his mistress. Christ.

Guy is just absolutely violently opposed to the concept of being accountable to anyone except, apparently, his boss.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hughlander posted:

Archie Bunker could grow

you're telling me :wiggle:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Solkanar512 posted:

If someone says “I’m not cheating” unprompted, they are cheating.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

tinytort posted:

Yeah, you know what I've absolutely never thought at a funeral? "Gosh, this is so beautiful, I hope someone is getting photos to make sure it's never forgotten." All the funerals I've been to where I was old enough to actually give any fucks about the deceased, I was grieving or at least mourning with my loved ones (one of those funerals was my ex's grandma, who I didn't really know well enough to feel like I was really grieving, but I did mourn with my ex because losing your grandma sucks). If someone had been snapping photos of the event, I would have thrown hands at the sheer tone-deafness of the behaviour.

I mean it's a thing in some cultures. My old boss casually showed me pics from some relative's funeral, everyone posed with the body.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

21st Cherry boy posted:

I mean it's a thing in some cultures. My old boss casually showed me pics from some relative's funeral, everyone posed with the body.

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

21st Cherry boy posted:

Some cultures are pretty chill with death but I think if the OP's family wants professional funeral photography they should pay for it rather than trying to scam a mourner into doing it for free.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my wife I shouldn't be poor each month while she still has a ton of money

quote:

Hey everyone. Me (35M) and my wife (36F) have been married for 3 years. I have two children from my first marriage (17M and 13F) and she has 4 (17F, 15M, 12F, 8F). I have 50/50 custody of my kids, she has full custody of her kids and their Dad is way behind on child support so she provides all their financial support.

I want to preface this by saying my wife and I keep our finances separate. My wife makes more than double than I do. She gets $50/hr and I get $22/hr. It's always been like that. We agreed when we moved in together we would split the bills equitably based on our incomes. She ended up covering basically all household expenses. Mortgage, utilities, cable, internet food etc. I would cover one weeks worth of groceries and my car payment, car and motorcycle insurance, gas, cell phone, vapes etc. This all changed when I wrecked my car earlier this year. I went shopping with my wife for a new car and really wanted an SUV. My wife made me look at cars too because they're a lot cheaper but I had my mind set. When we sat down to finance it they told me my payments would be about $850 a month vs about $380 a month for the car. I decided on the SUV and my wife seemed pissed.

Anyway, my insurance readjusted after the accident and with my car payment and other expenses I barely have $100 in expendable income each month. My wife has fun money and still throws a lot into savings and projects around the house. I was speaking about being frustrated about this with my sister and she mentioned that a sign of financial abuse is limiting access to household money. So I approached my wife and said I wanted to combine our accounts. That I shouldn't live like a pauper while she has money to throw around and she told me that it was my own decisions that led me to not have a lot of disposable income and that if we wanted to discuss a budget for fun money for each of us we could. I got really upset and told her it isn't loving or right for her to have so much left while I barely have two pennies to rub together. Things got heated and I am staying at my sisters for the weekend. I dont think wanting things to be even is so wrong, but my wife is kind of right that if I got a cheaper car I would have more money. So AITA?

TL;DR: my wife makes more than me and I barely have any money left over each month while she has a ton

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

we took some family photos after my grandpa's funeral, but it definitely wasn't like, "alright everyone let's all get a group shot with gramp's corpse" -- we just wanted photos of everyone because most of us lived out of state and only saw each other every few years, usually for funerals. but yeah, you can do that poo poo with a phone (altho camera phones were just barely a thing at the time).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my wife I shouldn't be poor each month while she still has a ton of money

"I don't think I'm wrong but my wife was right" lol. Lmao

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

This is why everyone should have separate accounts, plus a shared one for household expenses. Teach it to your kids. If this lady hadn't had one she would be deep deep underwater while this idiot lived the high life buying his toys and nonsense.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
If people didn't take photos at funerals we would have gotten this meme nor the one posted above so maybe it's a land of contrasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

This is why everyone should have separate accounts, plus a shared one for household expenses. Teach it to your kids. If this lady hadn't had one she would be deep deep underwater while this idiot lived the high life buying his toys and nonsense.

I would disagree, but only in the sense that I feel like the best is to not marry the greenbacks goblin but can admit thats not always possible to know so better be safe than sorry I guess keeping it separated.