Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should’ve recast the Black Panther, the Boseman family wanted them to. Disney is very weird about dealing with actor death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016

hatty posted:

They should’ve recast the Black Panther, the Boseman family wanted them to. Disney is very weird about dealing with actor death

If they stuck to animation they wouldn’t have this problem, Jim Varney died during the production of Atlantis and they got his cousin to finish recording his dialog. They also recast him for Toy Story 3 and nobody even noticed

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Homer of the Bat was pretty loving good; loved the bit with the mystery spot. I heard the player who said "It's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited" had a lot of trouble with that line.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney never actually has been any good at live-action at all.

Jungle 2 Jungle is a modern masterpiece of adapting French cinema for American audiences. Due to recent forum events, I will not be recommending the movie Heavyweights.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

FireWorksWell posted:

Homer of the Bat was pretty loving good; loved the bit with the mystery spot. I heard the player who said "It's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited" had a lot of trouble with that line.

That is an all-time classic, top-tier episode. Still makes me laugh and I remember watching it with my parents as a child.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurker Ant posted:

It’s Get a Horse, the cartoon they made to show in theaters with Frozen back in 2013. I’m pretty sure they have a new (human) VA for Mickey these days

Ah. I didn’t notice that one, but I only remember him saying the title at the very end of the short. I remember it as being wordless until that point. I’ll have to rewatch that one some time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For some reason I just remembered an episode where Marge says

"We're taking the dog to the V-E-T. After that we're taking Bart to get C-I-R-C-U-M-C-I-S-E-D"
"What does that mean?"
"Umm... I'll tell you after it's over."

Typical teens-seasons meh chuckle, but if you think about it for more than a couple seconds it's actually super hosed up. What the heck Marge?

FireWorksWell posted:

Is Homer of the Bat the one where Homer stumbles onto a shrine to Camazotz and gains bat themed super powers?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Homer of the Bat the one where Homer stumbles onto a shrine to Camazotz and gains bat themed super powers?

poo poo. I ain't editing it, though.

I can't believe they showed Bart using a gun but maybe it just wasn't taken seriously back then. The gag of the robber (I can't remember his name, surfer voice) about to run into Bart but getting stopped by the narrow alley, good god did I laugh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FireWorksWell posted:

Just wanted to thank this thread for inspiring me to finally give the series a watch. I'd only seen two full episodes courtesy of my brother before but never sought it on my own. I'm in the middle of s3 now; 1 and 2 were great but people arent joking when they say it gets a lot better. . Homer catapulting the rabbit and him excitedly pointing out "street crime!" to his kids were my favorite gags so far.

Good call starting with s1 especially for a full watch. Some gems there and lays the foundation, plus S2 is a critical part of the golden age.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That is an all-time classic, top-tier episode. Still makes me laugh and I remember watching it with my parents as a child.

Pound for pound I think it’s my favorite ep. Just incredible how little known MLB player Steve Sax is a key part of the gag of being locked up for life for absolutely nothing. Wiggum declaring they’re closing the book on every unsolved crime is perfect.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney never actually has been any good at live-action at all.

They badly need to recast Luke, I don’t think Mark Hamill is demanding they CGI him for full episodes. I liked how Star Trek Strange New Worlds just cast a new Kirk and he’s fine and boom plot moves forward.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steve Sax was a big name at the time. Not like a superstar or anything, but he was definitely a first-tier figure you'd list in the first batch of 20 well-known late-80s MLB players.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The simplest gag is Ozzie Smith floating through the void of the Springfield Mystery Spot screaming, only stopping to snap a picture of the mass-energy equivalence formula before resuming screaming.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like the Daryl Strawberry taunt that inexplicably succeeds.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Das Boo posted:

"They're professional atheletes, this kinda stuff rolls right off his back!"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

How does Bart write so high on the chalkboard in the intro

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

How does Bart write so high on the chalkboard in the intro

He was standing on Database and Wendell's shoulders a few minutes before the intro starts.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Das Boo posted:

lol he didn’t know that was going to be in the episode but liked the gag. From an Athletic article:

quote:

Among the things that appealed to Darryl Strawberry when he saw the “Homer at the Bat” script was that his part required him to be expressive. This was no mere line reading. “I had to do some acting,” Strawberry said proudly.

Strawberry even had to channel his inner Meryl Streep. Heckled by Bart and Lisa, a tear wells up in his eye and trickles down his forlorn cheek. Strawberry is crying, right on cue.

Oh, wait. That wasn’t acting. That was a last-second gag added by the animators.

“I was surprised when I saw that,” Strawberry said with a laugh. “I saw the crying and I was like, ‘I don’t remember that in the script …’”

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1570069513290534915?s=46&t=HRzGIc3bSiHWGWP6TpsPFQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cribbing from South Park eh?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What the hell

Are they doing the "Family Guy time travels and revists their old episodes from a different view" or something?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

They should just put ozmodiar in the show as a regular character. Own your irrelevance and lack of good ideas, writers.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

They should just put ozmodiar in the show as a regular character. Own your irrelevance and lack of good ideas, writers.

oh, you've really done it this time, dumdum

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Has there always been a candle holder built into the wall or is it a seasonal install kind of thing?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Toxic Mental posted:

What the hell

Are they doing the "Family Guy time travels and revists their old episodes from a different view" or something?

If that's what they're doing they should have emulated the season 1 art style

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gym Leader Barack posted:

Has there always been a candle holder built into the wall or is it a seasonal install kind of thing?

The Simpsons house architecture being slightly eldritch is entirely on brand.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gym Leader Barack posted:

Must have had to cut back a bit.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Why do all the Simpsons in this image except older Bart have a drop shadow on their edges? Even Santa's Little Helper has one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe because that’s the first episode of the entire show, and back then things were drawn on animation cells? But time traveling Bart would be from the computer animated future?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tenebrais posted:

Must have had to cut back a bit.

Switching out a light bulb based wall sconce for a candle holder makes no sense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

Switching out a light bulb based wall sconce for a candle holder makes no sense.

Was probably Homer's idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The only thing that strikes me is how absolutely eye-searingly awful the new style looks when juxtaposed with the original.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Puddle of wax on the carpet under that thing

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

They at least did a good job of making the old characters look like they are an actual layer, compared to future bart that looks like he's the same as the background. I know it's not visually the same as the cels, but still.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd hazard a guess the candle is in there to add a little more Christmas flavor and that's it. Sometimes you're given a scene and get told to add some elements to signify it's a particular time/season and you gotta work within the confines of an established set to provide it.

It's not sensible in a real world sense, but I get it for the mood of the BG.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Boy I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

Boy I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Building a time machine so I can go back to 1988 and fire whoever drew a candle sconce in the Simpsons pilot

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you pull the candle holder down like a lever it turns the closet at the front of the Simpsons home into stairs.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I think wall-mounted candle holders were trendy in the 80s? My parent's house had them, and it was built in 1985.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are two in my parents' house and I absolutely put tiny wreaths around them for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They badly need to recast Luke, I don’t think Mark Hamill is demanding they CGI him for full episodes. I liked how Star Trek Strange New Worlds just cast a new Kirk and he’s fine and boom plot moves forward.

I thought they just had Pike, and Kirks dad?