Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tunicate posted:

How about farscape?

The baby was only born at the end of the series. If Farscape had another season, I guarantee you that baby would have aged rapidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Torquemada posted:

So good that Ridley Scott used the off cuts!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The baby was only born at the end of the series. If Farscape had another season, I guarantee you that baby would have aged rapidly.

Yeah, probably. The sad fact is that babies are boring as poo poo. You gotta age 'em up to be interesting.

https://i.imgur.com/APuEdWM.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

800peepee51doodoo posted:

a scary AirBnB and the slasher is a homicidal Amazon delivery driver or some poo poo

Barbarian is actually supposed to be really good.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I assumed they were talking about Talyn, actually. Seemed to fit all the beats they mentioned.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Baron von Eevl posted:

Barbarian is actually supposed to be really good.

Yeah, reviews look good. I was trying to round up some friends to check it out this weekend or in the next few days. But I have seen at least two movies in the last year about scary AirBnB's so its a thing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Yeah, reviews look good. I was trying to round up some friends to check it out this weekend or in the next few days. But I have seen at least two movies in the last year about scary AirBnB's so its a thing

Superhost was pretty good, although some of the "we need to go viral" stuff like the proposal were a bit painful to watch because of how real it felt.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I've probably posted this before but is it Movie Law that every single horror film is required to have an overhead drone shot of a car driving on a forest road? I know you think its super cool your cousin got a DJI Phantom or whatever but please discover new ways of doing establishing shots you loving hacks

Agreed. Even with some of them being alright and a nice view, it's still done so much and normally adds nothing. As far as the cousin's car goes a cheap jump scare of almost getting into an accident with a dick in a muscle car during a normal conversation by the main characters driving is a shot that could work well to shift ppl's heartrate during character development. But that would require planning character development which often get's left at QuirkySisters, CollegeFriends, HolidayCouple etc.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 97: Why did Tsunade ask for her suitcase if there was no money in it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

El Fideo posted:

I assumed they were talking about Talyn, actually. Seemed to fit all the beats they mentioned.

Most human babies aren't born with laser cannons in their heads.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arrath posted:

Now I want to see what Kubrick would do with drones at his disposal

Torture his actors

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I believe in the comic the kid has reality warping powers.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Cobra Kai: I'm training you to be a good fighter, now cripple your hand punching this rock.

Add: What's the motivation for the chick to help Cobra Kai become super famous and not her grandfather's school? One dude trained there and somehow she's willing to promote that dude over her own stuff?

nesamdoom has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Sep 14, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just rewatched The Spy Who Loved Me, which is one of the best Bond movies with one of the best Bond movie themes and one of the coolest Bond cars.

1. Bond's car has a gadget that drops a landmine. Thing even looks like the archetype of land mines. Except that this one doesn't explode if you put pressure on it, it explodes as soon as it hits the ground. This seems less than ideal.

2. I love that the bad guy's number two option for killing Bond, between "Motorcycle equipped with a rocket-propelled sidecar bomb" and "Helicopter gunship piloted by a really hot lady" is "four dudes in a sedan firing handguns out the windows."

3. Bond sits down across the *very long table* from the bad guy, who, surprise, has a gun under the table. But there's also a ridiculously, comically long barrel under the table:

Which okay, a conventional gun wouldn't need that, but this seems to be some kind of rocket launcher. I mean, it's definitely not a conventional firearm:

But then Bond evades the rocket, and puts the barrel of *his* gun into the tube and fires, killing the Bad Guy. But the tube has the bad guy's gun at the end of it! The shot wouldn't hit him, it'd be blocked by the rocket-gun.

Also it takes Bond four shots to put the guy down and he's still moving. .32ACP is a toy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Minor Barbarian spoilers (shown/implied in the trailer but I know some people avoid trailers): Massive underground earthworks somehow carried out secretly. How are they disposing of the spoils? The amount of material removed would require hundreds of haul trucks! He carved extensive tunnels through stone by hand? Excavating tunnels is insanely difficult work and its basically impossible for an individual to do on the scale shown in the film. I know I'm doing a tactical realism about a fun monster movie but my job deals with large scale earthworks and it was driving me a tiny bit crazy

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow: "Why would anyone want to go to the Land of Snow?" As a Canadian, I took this personally.

Kakashi should not be able to copy Ice style jutsu.

This movie would not have happened if the lord did not spend the entire country's budget on a geoengineering project without directly telling anyone about it.

Mamkute has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Sep 16, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Minor Barbarian spoilers (shown/implied in the trailer but I know some people avoid trailers): Massive underground earthworks somehow carried out secretly. How are they disposing of the spoils? The amount of material removed would require hundreds of haul trucks! He carved extensive tunnels through stone by hand? Excavating tunnels is insanely difficult work and its basically impossible for an individual to do on the scale shown in the film. I know I'm doing a tactical realism about a fun monster movie but my job deals with large scale earthworks and it was driving me a tiny bit crazy

The guy got the mutant incest children to do most of the work.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always see stuff like that in movies and trailers and I dunno why but I ALWAYS wonder "How in the blue gently caress has his and everyone else's house not dropped into a massive sinkhole?". I mean it's gotta rain sometime and unless you are shoring up the walls and going full coal mine on the setup, it's not gonna hold much weight if there's a 5 foot tunnel dug out all around the joint.

I also wonder where in the hell they get those submarine doors or big vault doors in the basements. Haven't seen this movie but I've seen a few where there's this gigantic gently caress off safe style wall in some dudes basement somewhere. I think it was in the second collector movie for example.

Dunno, but that always made me wonder.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
In There Will Be Blood, shouldn't Eli have offered the drilling rights to the Bandy tract to basically anyone other than Daniel? Plainview said his wells there were still pumping. He hadn't finished drinking their milkshake yet. Or is that the point, that even then Eli was too stupid to save himself?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Eli was that stupid. He also mistakenly thought Daniel was his friend.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

MariusLecter posted:

The guy got the mutant incest children to do most of the work.

Sure, your labor issues are somewhat mitigated by having some weird mutants that can rip people apart with their bare hands doing some work but unless they eat dirt and stone it doesn't help the mass balance problem

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always see stuff like that in movies and trailers and I dunno why but I ALWAYS wonder "How in the blue gently caress has his and everyone else's house not dropped into a massive sinkhole?". I mean it's gotta rain sometime and unless you are shoring up the walls and going full coal mine on the setup, it's not gonna hold much weight if there's a 5 foot tunnel dug out all around the joint.

They do have shoring but there is an absurd amount of engineering required in tunneling for precisely that reason. Although I guess if you're building tunnels for horror movie reasons, you can get away with a really low factor of safety

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think it was in Andromeda Strain, when they get to the secret underground facility, the government guy says half the cost of the construction was landscaping all the roads and surrounding areas to hide the fact that thousands of people had been working there with massive earth moving equipment.

Which is still the only time I've ever seen a movie or show acknowledge how much work would go into that part of things.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Expansions to Stargate Command must have been easy, just huck all the spoils through the stargate into some random planet and call it a day.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arrath posted:

Expansions to Stargate Command must have been easy, just huck all the spoils through the stargate into some random planet and call it a day.

They could even build a gate in a tower and dump them into a conical mound of some kind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it was in the sci-fi wi-fi lovely technology thread that someone had a very entertaining extended bitching session about how the Stargate is ridiculously dangerous and classic engineer-brain design. But then again, ancient aliens clearly never invented OSHA.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I kinda get it. They managed to design a door that will kill you if you open it without being 20 feet away from it. Also, if you happen to be nearby your own and someone decides to open your door, you are just hosed.

It's kinda like how the empire managed to build a space station the size of a moon but still has no rails around giant drops into nothingness. I mean, yea it's an awesome feat of engineering but holy gently caress if you walk and text you are gonna die.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I mean, I kinda get it. They managed to design a door that will kill you if you open it without being 20 feet away from it. Also, if you happen to be nearby your own and someone decides to open your door, you are just hosed.

It's kinda like how the empire managed to build a space station the size of a moon but still has no rails around giant drops into nothingness. I mean, yea it's an awesome feat of engineering but holy gently caress if you walk and text you are gonna die.

At least with the Empire, it shows complete disregard for the rear end in a top hat peasants who were forced to built and work in their death machine. It's like, "Oh no, there are no *safety precautions* in the thing that makes genocide happen with the flip of a switch!"

If Palpatine had had more time to play with his toy, he would have eventually developed a switch that would kill the guy who flipped it, and his entire family.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness the vast majority of stargates are operated from a console that is out of the way of the murder beam so it seems kinda like cargo lifts that only have the controls on the outside, if you manage to get killed by it you were probably trying to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also when the actual ancients use it there's no kawoosh.

One of the human scientists mentions they ignore thousands of warning signals whenever they fire up their jury-rigged stargate.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness the vast majority of stargates are operated from a console that is out of the way of the murder beam so it seems kinda like cargo lifts that only have the controls on the outside, if you manage to get killed by it you were probably trying to.

Yeah I mean it's kinda like complaining that a jet will kill you if you happen to be standing behind it when it takes off. The safety precaution is not about having black and yellow railing with danger signs dangling behind the jet's tail, it's about not letting people near it when it starts its engine.

The part about someone opening the door from the other side stands :v: although I guess once upon a time there was probably someone at the console on both ends playing the "control tower" guy to avoid that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That Italian Guy posted:

The part about someone opening the door from the other side stands :v: although I guess once upon a time there was probably someone at the console on both ends playing the "control tower" guy to avoid that.
I mean, the safety precautions necessary are "don't sleep in the danger zone" and "when it start making noise, get out of the danger zone"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think it was in Andromeda Strain, when they get to the secret underground facility, the government guy says half the cost of the construction was landscaping all the roads and surrounding areas to hide the fact that thousands of people had been working there with massive earth moving equipment.

Which is still the only time I've ever seen a movie or show acknowledge how much work would go into that part of things.

Better Call Saul made almost a whole season with this premise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea I was juts gonna say "Gus Fring's secret German-engineered underground meth lab"

The practicalities of secret rooms & facilities and such should be mentioned more tho, it's ~verisimilitude~ 

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Andy Dufresne nods.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Andy Dufresne nods.

While shaking out his pant leg in the yard.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Piss is stored in the rocks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Piss is stored in the rocks

finally, someone else who saw the golden shower cut of shawshank

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBH I didn't think that pick looked all that worn at the end considering how much use Andy got out of it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Urethra Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

finally, someone else who saw the golden shower cut of shawshank