Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gotcha! I tossed one and it did some damage but I was wondering where the "cannon" was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Relyssa posted:

The trick to the stamp is throwing it via the grenade button the instant you get into any sort of trouble.

I mained the stamp in 2 and am very practiced at nailing fools with the ranged throw, the issue is that its sooo easy for everyone to shoot through the stamp when im chasing them. Its fair if someone gets the drop on me or hits me from the side, but it currently feels terrible to have nearly everyone killing me from the front

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You can throw the stamp?! :psyduck:

We're talking about the comically-oversized whack-a-mole-like hammer, right? Or something else?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You can throw the stamp?! :psyduck:

We're talking about the comically-oversized whack-a-mole-like hammer, right? Or something else?

Yes, you can throw that with I believe the r button (not the LR button).

You have to in one of the single player levels.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is anyone else seeing a whole lot of breaking bad memes?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m seeing a lot of Queen memes (queemes).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I am.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love that in every salmon run I’ve had, when the tornado shows up the whole team just wordlessly forms an effective bucket brigade. For a game with no voice chat at all it’s heartening to see people just fall into that level of teamwork

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gutcruncher posted:

I love that in every salmon run I’ve had, when the tornado shows up the whole team just wordlessly forms an effective bucket brigade. For a game with no voice chat at all it’s heartening to see people just fall into that level of teamwork

You can also see this sort of thing to a lesser degree in Deep Rock Galactic.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

It's really cool for sure. Once you get into the higher profresh ranks you either work as a team or wash out immediately.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Had a fun time with you all this evening. Dunno if I'm good at the Undercoverbrella, but it sure seems like I was doing something right. What a neat little weapon.

Don't go it alone with it, but stick with someone and you'll go far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have just hit the Profreshional ranks so I expect Salmon Run to hit the Real poo poo now.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

I have just hit the Profreshional ranks so I expect Salmon Run to hit the Real poo poo now.

Welcome to the point where there should be an alarm when a boss is not spawning.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have however also discovered the joy that is a Goldie wave when you have the Heavy Splatling. So many eggs.

Also we scraped in 3 eggs in the last 5 seconds.
https://twitter.com/CardCaptorKaren/status/1569083196037541890

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

PageMaster posted:

Yeesh, It feels like the community just kind of left me behind after Splatoon 2 and I don't know what changed. I'm definitely not a top tier pro player, but in 2 I was at least competent and could contribute and hold in the top 3, but every game in 3 so far has just been a slaughter with the other players flying all over the place and pinpoint aiming me down instantly with any weapons kits and maxed out clothes. It feels like the skill ceiling jumped after I finished 2 and I just never kept up. Fortunately salmon run has been a crazy new addiction.

We're in the chaos of a week 1 new game launch, where basically everyone is matched up with everyone else. It seems rankings are reset pretty hard too, since the highest imported rank anyone could get is B-, and I'm guessing turf war rankings were completely reset given how wildly swingy my games are right now. Give it a few days and you should be matched up with people closer to your skill level.

it's slow as hell and people can shoot you out of it. There's a reason it didn't make a comeback in 3. Well, that or they're saving it for future updates.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's in the single player so it's 100% going to come back.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Any videos out there showing tips on aiming and stuff? It feels like my brain emptied all the Splatoon gameplay knowledge it had

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gotcha! I tossed one and it did some damage but I was wondering where the "cannon" was.

i also did not realize the "cannon" was me and not something to find on the map

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Unlucky7 posted:

Been mostly seeing furries . I blamed fuzzy ooze

Unrelated: I have noticed that the matches where I get overall splatterer are the ones I am most likely to lose.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Twibbit posted:

Unrelated: I have noticed that the matches where I get overall splatterer are the ones I am most likely to lose.

Yeah, if everyone else on the team is worse than me than we definitely lost.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I am also outsplatting the enemy team as well in those situations. Maybe I need to focus on coverage more

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm starting to get my awareness back, looking at the map more to see when some sneaky idiot is trying to get behind us. Also not just standing alongside anyone in a duel so the other guy gets a 2 for 1 but actually going around the side or back to take advantage of enemies focusing too much on one other person.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Keep an eye on the player named Midas and join me in screaming into the void

https://twitter.com/fedule/status/1569104171110125568

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That is physically painful and I demand a full written apology for making me watch it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Why do all the enemy dualies users zip around like a ninja on crack but when I try it I run out of ink in about three seconds and then die like a chump

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Relyssa posted:

Why do all the enemy dualies users zip around like a ninja on crack but when I try it I run out of ink in about three seconds and then die like a chump

It’s caused by the same bit of code that gives the octobrush triple range and damage when someone on the enemy team is using it.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Meeko posted:

it's slow as hell and people can shoot you out of it. There's a reason it didn't make a comeback in 3. Well, that or they're saving it for future updates.

You either use it on people already under pressure or super jump to someone who's fighting and abuse peoples' instinct to camp jumps.

Source: me, the guy with 45 freshness on the undercover brella in splat 2, largely because splashdown lets you get away with really stupid poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Looper posted:

Yeah, the language is confusing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is at least a giant “THROW THIS AT THE BIG THING IDIOT” message when you pick up an egg in the extra wave.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Any videos out there showing tips on aiming and stuff? It feels like my brain emptied all the Splatoon gameplay knowledge it had

I posted this yesterday:

vanilla slimfast posted:

Dude posted a fresh video about how to use motion controls. Highly worth a watch if you are new to the game or never picked up the motion controls previously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3n1-YQvWo

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Man, the "post-game" level after the campaign is truly brutal. There were a few levels like this with zero checkpoints but this is far and away the hardest. Game is not designed for this kind of platforming.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did not expect the Smallfry deep lore to be "They eat to futilely fill the void in their heart created from their longing for home"

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Looper posted:

Aaaaah thank you so much, that explains why I kept looking for the egg cannon in the stage and couldn't find it. I get they wanted the king salmonids to be a surprise and left them out of the tutorial, but maybe they should have put a tutorial after you encounter one for the first time just to make sure.
I like the reefslider but is it just me? The one I can't get a handle on is Killer Wail even though it's on my most used weapon.
Looking forward to the future update where you can play tableturf directly with other players (99% sure the players standing in the tableturf area are controlled by AI since there's no "waiting to start the match" etc and Inkipedia said real PvP will be added in a future update). I like the game though it seems like you can fairly reliably win against the AI by being super aggressive in the first few turns aiming to "wall them in" so they are confined to ink a small area only. Might be less viable against another player who is more actively trying to do that though.
Am I the only one who thought Shiver was a dude this whole time until hearing the other people on the news call her "she"?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this final stage music owns

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Man, the "post-game" level after the campaign is truly brutal. There were a few levels like this with zero checkpoints but this is far and away the hardest. Game is not designed for this kind of platforming.

I just failed at that level several times and will try again tomorrow. It’s brutal but also awesome.

As for the kaiju Salmonid, somebody please screenshot what Mr. Grizz says about the egg cannon because I swear he is pretty explicit about throwing the eggs at the kaiju. But also the text is up while a bunch of alarms are blaring and crazy poo poo is happening so it is probably difficult to pay attention to it. I think the idea with the cannon is that it costs less or no ink to throw but only during the Xtra Round.

Edit: what’s the deal with rankings while playing Salmon Run with friends? The higher ranked person doesn’t gain any exp until the lower ranked person catches up?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 12, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just failed at that level several times and will try again tomorrow. It’s brutal but also awesome.

As for the kaiju Salmonid, somebody please screenshot what Mr. Grizz says about the egg cannon because I swear he is pretty explicit about throwing the eggs at the kaiju. But also the text is up while a bunch of alarms are blaring and crazy poo poo is happening so it is probably difficult to pay attention to it. I think the idea with the cannon is that it costs less or no ink to throw but only during the Xtra Round.

Edit: what’s the deal with rankings while playing Salmon Run with friends? The higher ranked person doesn’t gain any exp until the lower ranked person catches up?

What he says is basically "Oh no it's a King Salmonid. Here's an Egg Cannon". Then there's a popup that says "You have an Egg Cannon" alongside the normal weapon popup. Then when you actually grab an egg a giant explosion-bordered popup says "(A) Target the King Salmonid!".

I'll grant it isn't explicit. The irony is that it punishes you for paying too much attention and making too few assumptions. If you either sleep through Grizz's message or apply an unusual amount of imagination, you'll figure it out instantly. It's one of those fascinating player behaviour traps that plagues video games and you could probably write a book about.

When Salmon Running with friends, yes, it's what you said.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Squadding basically got a huge nerf if you're trying for 999 runs in this game. You'd have to squad from the get-go, and eventually that means running into several rounds of Hazard Level Max to get to 999 (of which there is a badge awarded for each map).

Incidentally Hazard Level Max is going to be a new level of hell in this game. In 2, it spawned 3, occasionally 4 bosses, every 10 seconds. In 3, it spawns 4 bosses every 8 seconds. Also now there can be 4 of each boss salmonid on the map instead of 3. Have fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm just gonna ask mr grizz very nicely to keep me in overachiever where i belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Huxley posted:

I posted this in the switch thread. Is it ... mostly strategically sound?

That sounds about right. It is definitely good to be the guy who inks spawn when no one else is inking spawn, but it's very bad to be the guy who's busy inking spawn while his teammates are losing a 2v3 battle at a chokepoint that you could have turned around. It helps to think of inking over enemy turf as being worth double points -- not only do you gain %, but they lose it at the same time.

I think trying to take a different, un-inked route back to battle each time you die and respawn is a good call and it also ties into what you brought up with the map and super jumping. One of the biggest noob traps is ignoring the context of the fight and super-jumping right to the one guy who's alone in enemy turf surrounded by 3 enemy squids. He'll probably be a goner by the time you land and they'll all have your drop point in their sights and splat you instantly. Super jumping is great but sometimes if it looks like your only targets are severely outmatched it's a good idea to wait for the rest of your team to respawn so you can push as a group. That is your ideal window to start painting your home turf.

Also I think while you're still coming to grips with aiming and combat, 90% of the kills you get will be from not being where someone expects you to be. If you're always inking turf you will never get the jump on someone coming around a corner. Not saying you need to camp, but if your instinct tells you an enemy is coming back from spawn and about to turn a blind corner, sometimes it's better to hold your fire, go into squid mode, and stay still until they pass you and their back is turned, especially if you're not confident you'd win a 1-on-1 firefight. You can get a lot of splats this way and while the goal is to ink turf, an enemy waiting to respawn is inking absolutely nothing.