Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

killer crane posted:

Would you want to play for Nebraska?

I'd let them pay me to not win games, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

Thank you for an actual answer vs "they're bad because they suck", begging-the-question nonsense.

Iowa has two FBS schools so that number is essentially cut in half got them. Minnesota and Wisconsin both suffer from being an afterthought compared to the NFL program in their state. I get that it's not an apples to apples comparison but with their revenue, expenditures, and fan support, there's no reason Nebraska shouldn't expect (and have) Iowa and Wisconsin level success.

the packers and vikings aren't recruiting high schoolers

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
That's the whole point. They did have Iowa and Wisconsin level success but decided that wasn't good enough for them. And that mindset blew up on their faces several times

stump collector
May 28, 2007

214-1

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

whos that broooown posted:

That's the whole point. They did have Iowa and Wisconsin level success but decided that wasn't good enough for them. And that mindset blew up on their faces several times

Reminder that there was literally a quote about how we didn't want to be at Iowa's level.

They've beaten us every year since 2014.

e: Now with a link to an article about it

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bo would have been eventually fired even if he was the nicest man in the planet because his defense doesn't work in 2020

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The incredibly important part is that Nebraska isn't in the same demographic canoe as Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Minnesota. Iowa is only about a third larger than Nebraska, but the others are like three times the size. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana all have cities with populations greater than all of Nebraska.

If you assume that a school is generally pulling from an radius of 300 miles away, the Big Ten looks like this:

Penn State: 70.5 million
Rutgers: 67 million
Maryland: 66.2 million
Purdue/Indiana: 54 million
Ohio State: 49.7 million
Northwestern: 48.1 million
Michigan/Michigan State: 47.5 million
Illinois: 45.8 million
Iowa: 36.5 million
Wisconsin: 36.1 million
Minnesota: 16.9 million
Nebraska: 11.3 million

Obviously this isn't foolproof, but even Oklahoma has 21.8 million people in that hypothetical recruiting zone. Nebraska just doesn't have the population to support the level of recruiting you need to drive the type of program they want to be.

Now I want to fire up ArcGIS and plot where schools actually recruit from.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

also gently caress me i thought last year was Sam Hartman's last, they're gonna find some loophole that will let him be an 8 year starter

Lol yeah. It wasn't because he got a medical redshirt, a regular redshirt, and a COVID mulligan. :)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I will continue to cheer for the Nebraska football team because I am a fool. Mostly I’m glad to be watching football again every week.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Sash! posted:

The incredibly important part is that Nebraska isn't in the same demographic canoe as Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Minnesota. Iowa is only about a third larger than Nebraska, but the others are like three times the size. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana all have cities with populations greater than all of Nebraska.

If you assume that a school is generally pulling from an radius of 300 miles away, the Big Ten looks like this:

Obviously this isn't foolproof, but even Oklahoma has 21.8 million people in that hypothetical recruiting zone. Nebraska just doesn't have the population to support the level of recruiting you need to drive the type of program they want to be.

I don't know how you can possibly say this is an important metric when you see Rutgers and Maryland in the top 3.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I don't know how you can possibly say this is an important metric when you see Rutgers and Maryland in the top 3.

both teams are better than nebraska right now. ipso facto

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Maybe even six times better

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Borsche69 posted:

also have much more fertile recruiting grounds to draw from that are preyed upon by a lot of significantly larger programs. aint no one recruiting nebraska

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Like obviously recruiting territory is an important factor. But you can succeed without being in a recruiting hotbed. Ffs Utah has two teams in the top 15.

Nebraska administration hosed up in just about every possible way, were too self absorbed to admit it, and then did it AGAIN

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It was nice for VT to play good defense and get a W at home in front of a good crowd. Go Hokies. The offense doesn't have much and the best player seems to hurt himself every big play, but the defense and special teams are feeling right which is, again, nice.

Vols are gonna be playing with fire all year, but its fun! Watching teams that should be good get mediocre to bad makes me appreciate the games being fun. Win or lose, make them fun and exciting. Vols deliver and good on Hendon to get a W at Heinz field. Go Vols Go.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

North Dakota State has managed to craft itself into an FCS Death Star that no FBS program dare schedule or else face complete embarrassment and they're recruiting the exact same geographical region as those Big 10 schools

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I refuse to believe Rutgers is ever better than anyone. Except that one time they beat Michigan.

That was excellent

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
There has to be a point where theoretical recruiting area doesn't mean poo poo when east coast schools are recruiting from the middle of the pacific ocean.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, like Ohio State's star offensive players are from California, Virginia, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

regulargonzalez posted:

Thank you for an actual answer vs "they're bad because they suck", begging-the-question nonsense.

Iowa has two FBS schools so that number is essentially cut in half got them. Minnesota and Wisconsin both suffer from being an afterthought compared to the NFL program in their state. I get that it's not an apples to apples comparison but with their revenue, expenditures, and fan support, there's no reason Nebraska shouldn't expect (and have) Iowa and Wisconsin level success.

nebraska isn't as fertile of a recruiting territory as iowa or wisconsin and has to compete with places like those and ohio state that have experienced more recent success

the real edge nebraska had was an in-state pipeline of players who came from high schools running the same offense to couple with its access to talent from texas from its big 8/12 association along with a superior s&c program and closing their eyes real tight at anyone's transcripts. everyone else caught up and nebraska never evolved and lost a bunch of stuff along the way.

there are many, many reasons nebraska shouldn't expect or have iowa and wisconsin level success. the population isn't growing fast enough as people are less inclined to have their children play football for cte concerns. nebraska as a brand has been circling the drain since bo pelini left. there's no major media market push for nebraska so they're not going to be featured in primetime. the last notable nfl player to come from nebraska was suh, and that was 12 years ago (and while that may not be reflective of a program's success, it does play a big role in making players want to come there). lincoln is not a destination city as others have mentioned so it's hard to recruit young black people there unless you already have a successful program going (ala oregon or alabama).

basically nebraska would have to reinvent itself and then once it started experiencing success it could start building its way back toward respectability, but how does that even happen? who do you hire?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

nebraska is in fact bad because it sucks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Like obviously recruiting territory is an important factor. But you can succeed without being in a recruiting hotbed. Ffs Utah has two teams in the top 15.

BYU has extremely specific features that both help them and cap them.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

BYU has extremely specific features that both help them and cap them.

and Utah?

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Dude having a Nebraska meltdown: "Nebraska fans don't have high expectations for the program you fool! You ignorant buffoon!"

Same dude: "There is no reason Nebraska shouldn't be competing for the division lead every season."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

TAMU spending infinite money on their coach and recruits only to never win the west is hilarious.

Meanwhile Arky hired an OL coach and hit the portal hard and are probably going to challenge for the West this year.

Lol, lmao, etc.

Arky also hired Kendall Briles as OC which makes it really hard to root for them as the underdog.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Pelini going 9-4 every year didn't mean anything because the 9 were against 4 OOC patsies and 5 dregs of the B12/B1G, and the 4 were against the actual good teams plus give or take eating poo poo in the conference championship, and then losing whatever consolation bowl they were invited to.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Laterite posted:

Pelini going 9-4 every year didn't mean anything because the 9 were against 4 OOC patsies and 5 dregs of the B12/B1G, and the 4 were against the actual good teams plus give or take eating poo poo in the conference championship, and then losing whatever consolation bowl they were invited to.

You’re right, winning 9 games a year is basically the same as opening the season with losses to Northwestern and Georgia Southern.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Laterite posted:

That's what 9-4 means, my dude.

That's your team working as intended.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Well, was.

You're much worse now, lol. Great job!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Share your stories about your team's 4 losses right here.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gonna be a lot of options for Matt Rhule next season.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A former coworker of mine who’s a lifelong Husker and still calls Osborn “Doctor Tom” is convinced they have a legit shot at Campbell or Mark Stoops.

I simply would have kept Solich.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's very funny that they did it but I don't think firing Pelini was necessarily the wrong decision for Nebraska given what happened after that with his career. Which now appears to be over maybe?

He did have one FCS championship game run at Youngstown State but that came after finishing third in the MVC and getting hot at the right time, then a whole lot of not much. 18-22 conference record overall there. And then he went to LSU and yeah...remember the Bo Pelini defense at LSU? That was rough. They made 2020 Mississippi State who couldn't reliably block a two man rush look amazing.

Nebraska's problem with Bo specifically is more making every single wrong decision after that to me, and whew did they go all in on that job.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Share your stories about your team's 4 losses right here.

Texas A&M, Alabama, South Carolina, Vanderbilt :negative:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1569153534335111172?t=NqeE-Tui7ro4h5E2zYndag&s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

can't even pronounce Appalachia smdh

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Always entertaining to see people’s first exposure to midnight yell. This isn’t a new thing.

Yeah their jokes suck but I’d look like a fool for the networking opportunity the yell leaders get.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I can't tell anyone exactly what's wrong with Nebraska, but they have definitely made some terrible decisions over the last 20 years and it all started with firing Frank Solich. I don't think Nebraska quite had realized that college ball was shifting nationally away from regional dynamics. Their brand alone wasn't carrying them anymore. They fire a winning coach because he wasn't winning enough. Then they get Bo Pelini, who has just a slightly worse record than Solich did, and he gets fired for pretty much the same reasons, winning, but not enough. If that isn't a sign to most potential coaches to stay away, I don't know what is.

Maybe Nebraska has toned down their expectations a little, but I doubt it. The combo of running through coaches, and then switching to a new conference that also means abandoning a lot of old recruiting grounds and trying to form new ones is pretty tough to overcome. I actually thought the Frost hire was a good one, but maybe he was always a bad coach who just out recruited at UCF, which overshadowed his coaching ability. Nebraska probably needs to realize that the next coach needs to be given at least 4 years before they get fired. Otherwise, they're going to be fighting for second-tier candidates because the top-tier ones know it's either conference champ or bust, and that is a tall order at NU.

As for Matt Campbell, I really doubt he takes the NU job. It would be more money with more resources, but way higher expectations and less loyalty. I think he's holding out for a higher profile gig than Nebraska considering all the other openings he was rumored for and never took.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Sash! posted:

I think you have to include Notre Dame in that list because they are a factor in recruiting for any kid in Indiana and Illinois. Eifert and Kmet were both Purdue legacies that went to ND and those are just the recent examples that piss me off the most.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/LikeAHawkStar/status/1569049944157462528

wernox fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The only thing I'd add is we have recruited on-par with those 9-4 teams, at least in terms of class ratings. That is what the talking heads say, anyways.

killer crane posted:

I love this era of Nebraska football, because it's the real point the wheels came off. Callahan was hired to modernize the program, instead of relying on Osborne's increasingly irrelevant old playbook. Callahan wanted Nebraska to run an aerial, hurry up offense, and would talk about how college football wasn't stuck in the 90s, and Nebraska shouldn't be either. Some old crusty rear end boosters complained so hard they got Osborne involved to fire him. And within a couple years that same offense structure was winning the national championship.

Callahan might have sucked, but he knew where college football was going, and Nebraska never ever wants to change.

Whoah yeah you are so right.

I think there is a lot of merit to posters ITT saying we think we're better than we are. I'd agree 100%, especially on administration and booster level. Because....

Declan MacManus posted:

basically nebraska would have to reinvent itself.

If I'm reverse-rationalizing my theory like a good football fan, this would require self-reflection on the part of boosters, admins and the university itself. Fans will show up and celebrate/deride the program regardless. I think there's too much power brokering among the Husker football product for any real change to be had there. Maybe Trev can play hardball or woo some people over to change. The other problem is much of the university can't self-reflect enough to do something modern or rational like give employees remote work. Reason being admin is so beholden to "being an in-person institution." Nevermind that any other University with remote work is also in-person! Sure, athletics are separate, but we're stuck in many other regards.

It's a tough problem for all the aforementioned reasons. There's no reason its unsolvable per se, but if this many losing seasons in a row doesn't wake people up, they may never wake up.