Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just caught this weird wait I couldn't remember seeing before (1m, 1p, 4p) and think I figured out that it is called entotsu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Yeah that's a fun one! It's one of the trickier wait patterns, since it allows you to wait on both a ryanmen and shanpon wait, making it harder to read. The one downside is that one side of the ryanmen has to be a tile you already have a triplet of (like the 4p here), so it limits the winning tile count a bit.

But if you have TWO entotsus in your hand that helps deal with the problem a bit... :getin:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just one final boss battle and I'm done with the event. I have heard the final level comes with two frames?

Meanwhile I've either quickly gotten used to the tablecloth or they faded it out a bit because I can now see the tiles easily whereas before it was very hard.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I got the tablecloth today but I'm not sure if I want to push to finish it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nighthand posted:

I got the tablecloth today but I'm not sure if I want to push to finish it.

turns out the frames are to be won or bought so no point to push unless you need a lot of copper

Except you will miss dancing Ichihimi with her pompons

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
Me, looking at the list of achievements some time ago.

"What!? 13 or more doras? Is that even possible?"

Me, now;

Sanma will provide, because kitas apparently count.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Sanma is wicked fun it turns out. This is the fuckaround mahjong I was missing once I started caring about my four player ranking. Gotta take a break though, I'm a bit burned out from the tablecloth grind.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sanma is great fun but careful not to let it build habits that will be detrimental in suuma.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hraathgar posted:

Me, looking at the list of achievements some time ago.

"What!? 13 or more doras? Is that even possible?"

Me, now;

Sanma will provide, because kitas apparently count.

only a few more hours to decide whether I want Invincible Ichihime enough to spend money on this game :negative:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Bilirubin posted:

only a few more hours to decide whether I want Invincible Ichihime enough to spend money on this game :negative:

Isn't this at least the second time they've run this event? It'll probably come back again I would think.

But also, pay for the animes, you know you want to.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I want Wanjirou so bad but I hate gacha mechanics on principle so I dropped $15 one time and got a custom riichi thing. I figure between that and the gameplay I've gotten out of it that's a fair price

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I do the five bucks and save jade for rateups/events. I figure, I get at LEAST five bucks of enjoyment out of the site a month, might as well kick back a little as thanks.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
majsoul is a little weird in that the hit rate for the gacha is HOT GARBAGE compared to its contemporaries, but simply being the first competent English language jong has been enough to keep it going

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wish they'd give you the option to buy individual characters at highway robbery prices. Like I've probably spent enough time in the game that I'd gladly drop another $30 if it meant I could specifically buy Wanjirou

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I wish they'd give you the option to buy individual characters at highway robbery prices. Like I've probably spent enough time in the game that I'd gladly drop another $30 if it meant I could specifically buy Wanjirou

That's sort of what the faith currency is for? Every gacha pull is 1 unit, 150 gets you a character of your choice. It would take a while, but you could eventually get there from the fortune charm jade.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The hit rates are among the worst I know of but at least it's cosmetic only

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Relyssa posted:

That's sort of what the faith currency is for? Every gacha pull is 1 unit, 150 gets you a character of your choice. It would take a while, but you could eventually get there from the fortune charm jade.

I mostly just play friendly matches once a week on mahjong night with friends so I never bothered learning what any of the currencies are or do since I never earn enough for it to matter. I don't even know what the faith currency is or how to get it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I mostly just play friendly matches once a week on mahjong night with friends so I never bothered learning what any of the currencies are or do since I never earn enough for it to matter. I don't even know what the faith currency is or how to get it.

If you go into the summon menu it's the icon to the left of your jade amount. You can click Redeem while in that menu to spend it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh that! Thanks. I have 14 lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have done 25 odd free pulls so far and have gotten a few decorations: tile back, riichi stick, riichi call animation on discarded tile, and now have the tile call animation and table cloth so not too bad all things considered.

As I have no other characters to level other than Ichihime and *scoff* Miki oversexualized free character, I have been eating non food purple gifts for dust to do more draws.

Otherwise, yeah, its in English, Tenhou seems like a pain to get working right, and even on my phone Mahsoul works well

Decided to pass on the outfit. There is always next year. What I would really love to get is the Ichihime New Year's outfit

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Got my first Suuankou and am now 5 points away from getting into gold room sanma.

Looking back at the log, I knew both of the other 4sou were dead but the player to my right had a white dragon trying to go for 13 orphans. Sadly for them, the player across pon'd the west wind and the final one was in the dead wall.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
I just noticed that I'm missing cheevos for the "triple triples" and "have 3 kans" 2-han hands.

Aggressively hunting for those has made my games extremely stupid, but also extremely fun.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Those are low key two of the hardest yaku in the game to get, I still don't have them after like 550 S games. If I remember right, I think 3 kans is actually rarer than some yakuman hands according to the stats :negative:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Mahjong match han value to rarity challenge 2022 (IMPOSSIBLE)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

wocobob posted:

Those are low key two of the hardest yaku in the game to get, I still don't have them after like 550 S games. If I remember right, I think 3 kans is actually rarer than some yakuman hands according to the stats :negative:

Ryanpeikou (twice pure double sequence) is also rarer than some yakuman. I lucked into it once a while back.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

wocobob posted:

You say that it is rare, but it is in fact, quite easy.

The trick is to have a melded like this

Then hit the kan button until your table looks like this;

After your third Kan, you should draw the tile you need to be in Tenpai. Then after that you just Ron next tile discarded by your opponent.

Why didn't anyone think of just drawing the tiles you need for your hand? (Also I think playing Sanma helps)

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016
Also the cheevo for getting three quads is called "Chaotic Evil". I used to wonder why, but now I know.

What I did to achieve it was unequivocally unadulterated pure evil. I think I might have sold my soul to the demons of mahjong to pull that off.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

3 kans is especially aggravating to try to get because if anyone calls a 4th kan the hand is over.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Game ended with opponent tsumoing for 13 orphans, which was nice to finally see in the wild. But I was so far ahead they only came on 2nd. Sad though it kept me from consecutive cool cat shades

Sanma is nutso I love it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm playing Mahjong with real people this weekend! Time to learn* how to build a wall and what the gently caress a Fu is! I expect to do horribly!

*I've been told to bring something to take notes with. :v:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

turns out we have an in person riichi club in town. In a long term care facility. So, once we beat covid (lol) I'll get ready for my retirement

(apparently there are some slug it out fests between grandpas playing HK rules at our local Chinese Community Centre too, might go watch that sometime)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

also have fun and let us know how it goes. I have gotten so lazy letting the computer think for me...

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SixteenShells posted:

Mahjong match han value to rarity challenge 2022 (IMPOSSIBLE)

Zung Jung Mahjong tries to get pretty close, IIRC. But then there's no interesting balance/deception like "are they going for a hand that doesn't pay off for its rarity?"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I played in-person Mahjong for the first time on Saturday, pretty laid back setting, one expert, three nerds. I want to believe I didn't embarrass myself, even if I ended up losing. Pretty different experience, very few calls and some big, meaty hands. A lot of japanese vocabulary thrown around too, I have to brush up my yaku terminology.

Also, this poo poo happened. On the South round, by the South player.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
LOVE a late game baiman. Hell loving yeah. What order are the dora indicators? Was east first or did that player upgrade their own pon to a dora kan?

And congrats on the real life game! It's been years since I got a chance to play in person. Hope everyone had fun!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that's a lot more than just a baiman...

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Hmm? What am I missing? Little dragons+ half flush + seat wind + round wind + four dora?

Edit oh gently caress there's a chanta in there too. And for some reason I thought little dragons didn't stack with the two dragons groups. That pushes it up to natural yakuman right?

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 12, 2022

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

Hmm? What am I missing? Little dragons+ half flush + seat wind + round wind + four dora?

Edit oh gently caress there's a chanta in there too. And for some reason I thought little dragons didn't stack with the two dragons groups. That pushes it up to natural yakuman right?

Yep. Kazoe Yakuman. Luckily I didn't hit it.

The first dora was the Ton, so no big upsets there.

SixteenShells posted:

And congrats on the real life game! It's been years since I got a chance to play in person. Hope everyone had fun!

It was great. I was very surprised to find people playing Mahjong in Spain.

Speaking of real life games, is it normal to declare the tile you're playing as you go? I guess it's useful if you're looking at your tiles, but it was a little uncomfortable to only be able to call honors.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of real life games, is it normal to declare the tile you're playing as you go? I guess it's useful if you're looking at your tiles, but it was a little uncomfortable to only be able to call honors.

I've never done or seen this in IRL games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've heard that's very common in American mahjong, like, that's how you play. "Three bam" "Two pins" etc. I never do it, and never feel the need to.