Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
XCom2 defaults to the touchpad controls that emulates a mouse. I found it hard to use because you have to touch interface elements with the mouse, whereas the controller support lets you move your selection around with the dpad. You have to manually make it do the classic XCOM gamepad controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well, what confuses me there is the 'steady 60fps' mods are always highly recommended. Do people genuinely not care about the speed??

Sorry I was joking

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
My B button is sticking:(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can get closer to a locked 40 with the fsr 2.0 mod or cp2077

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjMHyUF_pQ&feature=share&si=ELPmzJkDCLju2KnD5oyZMQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m having a weird issue with several WADs in GZDoom where weapon and enemy sounds aren’t playing. It’s happening in Ashes, Aliens TC, BLOOM and a few others. I’m running them on the latest GZDoom. Could it be a codec issue with the Deck?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

XCom2 defaults to the touchpad controls that emulates a mouse. I found it hard to use because you have to touch interface elements with the mouse, whereas the controller support lets you move your selection around with the dpad. You have to manually make it do the classic XCOM gamepad controls.

How do you change it to gamepad? I could not find that option at all and found the M&K controls unplayable on Steam Deck.

E: Or by "manually" do you mean a custom layout.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 12, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So frustrating because I was stoked to play on SD but as far as I can tell it doesn't recognize the Deck as a controller at all.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I bought one of those 512 GB SK Hynix (BC511) laptop pulls from eBay to do an eventual SSD swap on a base model Dreck, and I put it in a USB enclosure to do my standard R/W test. It passed the test (i.e. no r/w errors) but topped out at like 170-180 MB/s, which was far less than I was expecting, even via USB; SATA SSDs via a UASP enclosure can hit ~450 MB/s. It seems to be a single-package solution (controller & NAND together, no DRAM of course) and was tinier than I had expected (I'd never before seen a 2230 in person) and most importantly, it's rated for much higher speed than I saw. I'm assuming there was just an issue with the enclosure (and it was the first time I'd used this one as well) and that actual performance as an internal drive will be better. I'm not complaining though, even the observed performance is fine for something like the Dreck, and most of the games will still reside on a microSD card anyway.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
just got my deck and it's dope but i heard ppl were saying the trackpads were good for FPS games but they seem very imprecise. are there any kind of settings i should be applying to them. there's a lot going on in this thing.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i think my deck poo poo the bed or something as it was running fine but now all of a sudden games run at like 5 FPS and/or don't start at all :( :(

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

So frustrating because I was stoked to play on SD but as far as I can tell it doesn't recognize the Deck as a controller at all.

XCom 2 works with the Steam Deck as a controller just fine. Go into your Steam Deck controller settings and from the templates section just pick Gamepad with XXXX from the bottom templates. You also have to set the game to use the controller interface in the XCom 2 interface options. It may not automatically switch for you. Once you do it will stick and youre good.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

worms butthole guy posted:

i think my deck poo poo the bed or something as it was running fine but now all of a sudden games run at like 5 FPS and/or don't start at all :( :(

disconnect from the charging cable, then shut down the console. Hold down the vol up button and press the power button. Enter the bios with the bottom right option, and go to the 'Power' listing. Enter battery saver mode and let it shut off (the battery light will flash thrice, repeating like 5 times). After a few minutes, reconnect the power which will turn the console back on and it should be fixed.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Does anyone else keep getting logged out with a "wrong password" error message on boot? I'm getting tempted to switch to a shorter password because my current one definitely was not made to be typed regularly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tamba posted:

Does anyone else keep getting logged out with a "wrong password" error message on boot? I'm getting tempted to switch to a shorter password because my current one definitely was not made to be typed regularly.

I had to reset mine with a recovery drive cos I'm pretty sure I hosed up typing it in using the on-screen keyboard

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Magic Shortbus posted:

XCom 2 works with the Steam Deck as a controller just fine. Go into your Steam Deck controller settings and from the templates section just pick Gamepad with XXXX from the bottom templates. You also have to set the game to use the controller interface in the XCom 2 interface options. It may not automatically switch for you. Once you do it will stick and youre good.

Yeah this, as long as the option to select controller within XCom2 options isn't grayed out you did it right. If it's grayed out you have to make sure you're picking the right template.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

disconnect from the charging cable, then shut down the console. Hold down the vol up button and press the power button. Enter the bios with the bottom right option, and go to the 'Power' listing. Enter battery saver mode and let it shut off (the battery light will flash thrice, repeating like 5 times). After a few minutes, reconnect the power which will turn the console back on and it should be fixed.

wow this was exactly it, thank you. this should go in the OP

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any specific hub you'd guys suggest?

I have the Anker hub I use with my iPad but I already had to replace it once because the device got extremely hot and sometimes would stop working entirely, and now the replacement stopped working over the USB-A ports and I'm pretty grumpy I'd have to RMA a second time

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e: nevermind

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 12, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

worms butthole guy posted:

wow this was exactly it, thank you. this should go in the OP

no prob, worms butthole guy! its a relatively common issue, i think. ive had it happen twice now...

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How fast is the shipping in Canada? To my surprise I was able to lock in my preorder last Thursday and we've got a long flight coming up in a couple weeks, it would be cool as hell if I had it for that flight.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Steam Deck got sent to my town on Saturday and as of this morning it's two states over. The Lord is testing me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How fast is the shipping in Canada? To my surprise I was able to lock in my preorder last Thursday and we've got a long flight coming up in a couple weeks, it would be cool as hell if I had it for that flight.

The actual shipping was 2 days, and it shipped a week after I made payment. So 9 days total for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yay, it's give steam money day (and wait).

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Got my link to buy today, placed my reservation on May 16th. They're motoring through the preorders now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

64gb one is, still waiting on the 512 queue to report in

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any specific hub you'd guys suggest?

I have the Anker hub I use with my iPad but I already had to replace it once because the device got extremely hot and sometimes would stop working entirely, and now the replacement stopped working over the USB-A ports and I'm pretty grumpy I'd have to RMA a second time

I bought the DockTek in the OP and was impressed with the build quality. I swapped it for an Anker dock because I needed the extra USB A ports, though.

nerox
May 20, 2001

beep-beep car is go posted:

Got my link to buy today, placed my reservation on May 16th. They're motoring through the preorders now.

What time did you place yours on May 16th? I did mine at 7:03pm est and didn't get in this batch.

Of course, i was guessing I would be in the September 22 group, so if I am in this Thursday's group, I will be pretty pumped.

edit: I guess you could've ordered a different version than me, I am 512gb US version.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

This is great, because I fell victim to the accidentally-unzipped case trap and dropped it a few feet. Now there’s a loose piece of plastic rattling around and the L1 bumper doesn’t feel quite right on the outside part. I’m all ready to get in there and fix it, but they aren’t shipping the L1 kit in Canada yet. Help me, iFixit!

Is there a shock resistant case that people recommend for the Deck? I'm going to travel with mine next week and a condom for my dieck would be nice to have.

Edit: Also, all you deck sniffers acting like you haven't huffed flux before.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 12, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Most recent reported order on US 512 is March 18th

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Most recent reported order on US 512 is March 18th

redditors haven't really been posting 512 yet, so that hopefully is early reporting.

512 usually starts dropping in another 20 minutes or so

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

beep-beep car is go posted:

What's the process typically for it?

I just pulled the trigger on the 512GB version in the UK, so do I just keep an eye out for an email in my inbox or a message on steam, etc?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kin posted:

I just pulled the trigger on the 512GB version in the UK, so do I just keep an eye out for an email in my inbox or a message on steam, etc?

You'll get both.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kin posted:

They'll email you and also a big notification will come up in your Steam client. You can't miss it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally got my e-mail for the 256, made the pre-order mid-April.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Is there a shock resistant case that people recommend for the Deck? I'm going to travel with mine next week and a condom for my dieck would be nice to have.

Edit: Also, all you deck sniffers acting like you haven't huffed flux before.

The case it comes with is pretty shock resistant. They ship it in the case with just a card box around that, no extra padding.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Foul Fowl posted:

just got my deck and it's dope but i heard ppl were saying the trackpads were good for FPS games but they seem very imprecise. are there any kind of settings i should be applying to them. there's a lot going on in this thing.
You need to set trackpads "as mouse". By default most games have the trackpad "as joystick" which sucks. The reason "as mouse" isn't default is some games don't tolerate gamepad+mouse input well.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Its weird that the default gamepad+mouse setting has trackpad click as joystick click and not mouse click. Much prefer that over trigger clicking.

Also setting mouse speed to 350/400 for every game is getting old, I thought I'd made a universal template but apparently not.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are there any 3rd party docks out right now that prop the Deck up and have an HDMI and DP? I'd love to have a multi monitor set up and I know there's dongles and poo poo with more, but I'd love something made for the Deck but no one seems to make one.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Got my email for the 512, reservation was placed in on April 22nd.

What are some suggested peripherals? Docks? SD card? Screen protector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Got my email for the 512, reservation was placed in on April 22nd.

What are some suggested peripherals? Docks? SD card? Screen protector?

i never dock my Deck, get a samsung evo 512, dont mess with the very good screen on the 512gb deck IMO.