Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really like how they did color identity for this set. It's very mix and match which is nice (although Black in general seems absurdly good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/i0nFed9zG0 This manabase looks pretty good to me. I haven't really seen a good Threats Undetected deck, but maybe it works here? There's beef at 4, 5, 7 power and cards your opponent can't really let you have at 2, 3 power.

This is a good bit better than what I ended up going with I think. Only 3 wins unfortunately, but it turned out that Threats Undetected was great, yeah. Thanks for the look.

I did t really put enough of the green power in the deck, and went with a lower curve. Wimp!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Raff + Karn is a very fun combo in draft, at least when you have 11 plains!

Been a very up and down draft format for me, but it's fun

wei
Jul 27, 2006

kalel posted:

swag, congrats

I'm not really a sealed person normally, but I've been having a lot of fun with trad sealed this time around. It feels like a well-balanced set, you can make a deck out of anything. I've never put together a DMU sealed deck and felt like it was anemic or uncohesive. There's a lot of synergy and common and everything just fits together really well

thanks! I've liked it too, but I usually like the multicolour soup sealed formats. I agree most pools have viable builds, I think the ones I did in this thread were capable of at least a couple wins barring variance.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On iPad unfortunately :( would have otherwise. I ended up running a Boros list that is doing pretty well (4-0 so well) which is great after going 0-3, 1-3, 1-3 on the drafts lol

The only dual color I have is Baird that suits the deck but I have some good 2 and 3 mana commons with kicker that keep them relevant in late game. Just won a match where Guardian kept discarding stuff to let me bring back Squee over and over

From the screen where you see your record hit the button that says Add to Decks or something like that, it'll save it to your constructed decks. From there you can Export and dump the text to SDTech, then hit Publish to get a sharable link.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks -

https://sealeddeck.tech/a5Hf5lUE27

Went 7-2!! Honestly very good tech but dunno if it could have been better. Weird how the sideboard exported like that is that to show the whole pool?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thanks -

https://sealeddeck.tech/a5Hf5lUE27

Went 7-2!! Honestly very good tech but dunno if it could have been better. Weird how the sideboard exported like that is that to show the whole pool?

Yes, what's not in your deck is in your sideboard in Limited.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Fable isn't going to eat a ban because broadly speaking people LIKE what it's been doing to the format. Midrange valuetown opens up space for a LOT of different decks within midrange valuetown and Fable is a giant part of that. Like when Divide by Zero ate a ban for Alrund Epiphany and Hullbreaker Horror's sins, it wasn't just because Divide by Zero was a really good card, it was because people loving hated what the blue decks were doing to the format.

fable can eat my dick balls and rear end op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Starting this draft run off by casting Liliana, making them sac, making them discard, making them sac again, and then using urborg repossession to buy back both liliana and the other card i discarded to make them sac their third bomb card... i hope this is a good sign

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ah, the eternal "this new card is bad and niche" - "this card is actually good and fun" - "this card is actually busted and boring" - "why are they taking so long to ban this card" - "why did they ban this card, It promoted good play, instead of the currently boring and busted card" cycle of good MtG cards.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Another 7-1 draft for me! :toot:

I really prioritized lands here, and my deck was a lot better as a result. I wish I had more Tolarian Terror's, but I passed some for lands and don't feel that bad about it. Shout out to the last game where my opponent was clearly holding a wipe and I turned into aggro, used Gaea's might to protect the Keldon flamesage. They finally stabilized but I was able to use Tolarian Geyser to bounce my own Meria's Outrider and burn them out of the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the reason mono black feels strong right now is that black is the color with absolutely no answers to artifacts, and the next set is gonna be all artifacts.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

man DMU drafts are great but the sealeds have been miserable. somehow every pool is dogshit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Next opponent had perfect curve of barricade into sentinel into sentinel into chaplain into chaplain into heroic charge lmao, if only i had that luck

Edit: ok now I'm facing the #282 as a platinum, i guess this is quickly progressing to its end

Edit 2: omg, thank u liliana xoxo

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 11, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well it turned out the draft I posted yesterday was pretty dire, but I somehow managed to eke out two wins largely thanks to Necromass, War-Leech, Bortuk, and Uurg. The self-mill graveyard deck is real.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

babypolis posted:

man DMU drafts are great but the sealeds have been miserable. somehow every pool is dogshit

I got 2 wins across 3 drafts and then went 7 wins in sealed :v:

I really like sealed though and I’m excited for new sets because of it. I went 7 wins in kamigawa too (last one I played). I find the building of a random deck super fun but I think I’m not the greatest at learning to pick one by one

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Liliana you truly are my last hope

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

babypolis posted:

kalel posted:

I'm not really a sealed person normally, but I've been having a lot of fun with trad sealed this time around. It feels like a well-balanced set, you can make a deck out of anything. I've never put together a DMU sealed deck and felt like it was anemic or uncohesive. There's a lot of synergy and common and everything just fits together really well

the DMUality of man

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

UG domain has been doing pretty well for me, I just trophied again with it. Maybe it's just because the RB/WB/WR/WB decks haven't been open for me, but there UG pieces have been easy to pick up and make it easy to splash the best cards from the other colors. I've won multiple games by having Deathbloom Gardener holding off their biggest creatures until Herd Migration or Tatyova take over the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sam Black is playing Meteorite and Jodah's Codex... seems to be going well for him

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Crafted four sheoldreds, i figure even if mono black falls out of meta soon it'll be a good enough card for the next teo years to not regret crafting it

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sheoldred, much like Fable, is one of those cards that has so much value it's never out of place in any deck. If the opponent doesn't answer it immediately you'll run away with the game, it exists to bait removal/counterspells.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Draft

Opened on blue cards but that dried up quick, and I've been hearing chatter about RG domain aggro that plays a bunch of cheap dipshits and trample creatures to then blast people out with enormous Gaea's Mights and Colossal Growths, and also using pump spells to get Molten Monstrosity out for cheap. Dark Ritual that also deals 3-5 damage to your opponent is pretty good? I took Iconoclast as a signal to go for it, and just grabbed whatever dumbass RG creatures and Rx/Gx duals I could, totally slopping it up with 3/3 vanillas. P3p1 Defiler of Vigor was a gift but also I don't think I triggered even once? A little short on green creatures and it was getting killed immediately almost every time. P3p4 Magnigoth Sentry maybe should have been Vineshaper Prodigy since I had a few blue sources, and it's fine as a bear in my deck.

This not the ideal build at all, but the core shell is there. Enlisting Coalition Warbrute while you have Gaea's Might in hand is extremely rude. Picker did its job as a cheap beater then rummaging past lands to find kill spells. Two losses were from playing a total buffoon. No math alpha strike a turn or two too early that was extremely not lethal and left me open to a game-losing counterattack, and a game where I was running from ghosts playing around tricks that didn't exist, and took like 8-10 damage I just didn't need to.

If you want to dunk on some fools, give Gruul a try. You NEED the pump spells, Monstrosity and Outrider are great, some removal and just a parade of cheap dopes. I didn't splash around in this deck, but you have a lot of options available you're taking lands for domain.

And sometimes you can just do nonsense like this

Result: 7-2 in platinum

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Draft

Opened on blue cards but that dried up quick, and I've been hearing chatter about RG domain aggro that plays a bunch of cheap dipshits and trample creatures to then blast people out with enormous Gaea's Mights and Colossal Growths, and also using pump spells to get Molten Monstrosity out for cheap. Dark Ritual that also deals 3-5 damage to your opponent is pretty good? I took Iconoclast as a signal to go for it, and just grabbed whatever dumbass RG creatures and Rx/Gx duals I could, totally slopping it up with 3/3 vanillas. P3p1 Defiler of Vigor was a gift but also I don't think I triggered even once? A little short on green creatures and it was getting killed immediately almost every time. P3p4 Magnigoth Sentry maybe should have been Vineshaper Prodigy since I had a few blue sources, and it's fine as a bear in my deck.

This not the ideal build at all, but the core shell is there. Enlisting Coalition Warbrute while you have Gaea's Might in hand is extremely rude. Picker did its job as a cheap beater then rummaging past lands to find kill spells. Two losses were from playing a total buffoon. No math alpha strike a turn or two too early that was extremely not lethal and left me open to a game-losing counterattack, and a game where I was running from ghosts playing around tricks that didn't exist, and took like 8-10 damage I just didn't need to.

If you want to dunk on some fools, give Gruul a try. You NEED the pump spells, Monstrosity and Outrider are great, some removal and just a parade of cheap dopes. I didn't splash around in this deck, but you have a lot of options available you're taking lands for domain.

And sometimes you can just do nonsense like this

Result: 7-2 in platinum

I like the pivot, would have been hard to give up the early Vortex and Geyser. Spotting the open lane has felt more important this set than recent ones for sure. I almost want to take Brawler over Defiler P3P1 but Defiler's safer with only 2 duals in the pool at the time.

I've been loving the beatdown oriented Jund-adjacent domain decks too, they were my last two trophies. The first one is kind of weird with the 3 Amplifiers but it does the Gruul thing, definitely wanted more Monstrosities. Second one is more graveyard based but still very proactive for GBr. ncaa was talking about how Gaea's Might is the best G common and I agree, it's obviously great in these decks but still works really well for the slower G decks trying to turn the corner.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
For some reason I did not have 17 lands turned on for this last draft, it was a wild one. I could use some advice on what to cut.

https://sealeddeck.tech/949ZTzixJD

I am thinking the red dual lands should be replaced with basics, and just stick to WBg. Then the bortuk seems like a potential cut. Maybe 4 captains call is to many.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Fenris13 posted:

For some reason I did not have 17 lands turned on for this last draft, it was a wild one. I could use some advice on what to cut.

https://sealeddeck.tech/949ZTzixJD

I am thinking the red dual lands should be replaced with basics, and just stick to WBg. Then the bortuk seems like a potential cut. Maybe 4 captains call is to many.

https://sealeddeck.tech/eVchUuFp9f

You needed more payoffs for going wide. The bulk of your deck doesn't do anything proactive (naked 1/1s and 3 walls) but you can grind with Braids and graveyard stuff. I'm not splashing for 3 mana 3/3s so I cut the badgers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #20

https://www.17lands.com/draft/32aefa9fc3aa4c29b3eb8ca682cd4c5d

I thought this was going to be my last hurrah from my initial buy-in... but I guess I am still fighting for life lol

Liliana was a hard carry. Dropping her on an early board and forcing a sacrifice, then ticking up threatening another sacrifice or even ulting, was great. Starting to discard early was fine for me as I could just stock the graveyard with things for my Repossession or Soultender to pick back up later. And grinding out the game gave time for the defender package, which protected Liliana well, to Chaplain off. Last game I was able to regrow Chaplain, which owned. Buying back weatherseed to put 3-4 points of damage on a bird was good, i had a gaea's blessing to do that too but i don't think I drew it lol. My two losses were to decks that didn't care about Liliana because they were Chaplain decks. I guess it's lucky I only faced two that were able to go off...

I guess I really have become an acolyte of Sam Black, the green/black value decks he played in NEO and here are the ones that make the most sense to me I think.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 12, 2022

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Glad the opponent scooped because I was very dead after getting greedy.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/historic-orzhov-angels-by-altheriax-1-mythic-september-2022-ranked-season/

Some slight tweaks for bo1.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol just had someone triple block my writhing necromass. They must not realise you can turn off auto assign combat damage

E: and they just killed themselves by playing an unkicked sheoldreds restoration lmao oops

EE: oh yeah and earlier in the match I blocked their hulking cyclops with my phyrexian warhorse and the 1/1 token it created, they used the cyclops ability to sac one of their creatures to kill the 1/1 but I was able to sac it in response giving the warhorse +2/+1 and making the trade anyway. Lots of unforced errors from my opponent in that match, havent seen play that bad in a while. They would have won if they were tighter, I was constantly behind the whole match!

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 12, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Lol just had someone triple block my writhing necromass. They must not realise you can turn off auto assign combat damage

Even with autoassign on, it'll distribute damage to kill as many dudes as possible

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #21

https://www.17lands.com/draft/829562a3cf854c429a7ee0c5d4a59bb5

Leaning towards a Bantish domain with this one after getting early Phyrexian Missionary and later UG legends. I don't think I got enough Domain enablers to easily get full domain -- weird to say it but I think I should have picked a Vinewall P2P1 lol? Instead I guess I'll focus on trying to keep consistent mana for the core, with green as the center color I think this is doable. It's pretty much efficient 2 drops where if I end up with the kicker great but the cards are good on rate regardless, into big chonkers and UG takeover cards. I could have seen a path where I picked up all those Talas Lookouts and went full UG but I think Destroy Evil might make the split worthwhile? What if I played Pixie Illusionist instead of Argivian Cavalier to better enable Full Domain lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
idk who told me the competition in Bo3 is softer than Bo1 but you were very right and I have enjoyed my trophy drafts with decks that really don't deserve it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kashuno posted:

idk who told me the competition in Bo3 is softer than Bo1 but you were very right and I have enjoyed my trophy drafts with decks that really don't deserve it.

I usually only do 1 or 2 premier drafts/set, and totally washed out of both I've done for DMU. I did a Bo3 cube when it was up recently, and it was a much, much better experience overall. Even though theoretically the reward structure for Bo1 is much less punishing than Bo3, I think I'll be sticking to Bo3 even for set drafts going forward just because getting to x-3 because you flooded out a couple games or didn't draw your bomb feels bad.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #21

https://www.17lands.com/draft/829562a3cf854c429a7ee0c5d4a59bb5

Leaning towards a Bantish domain with this one after getting early Phyrexian Missionary and later UG legends. I don't think I got enough Domain enablers to easily get full domain -- weird to say it but I think I should have picked a Vinewall P2P1 lol? Instead I guess I'll focus on trying to keep consistent mana for the core, with green as the center color I think this is doable. It's pretty much efficient 2 drops where if I end up with the kicker great but the cards are good on rate regardless, into big chonkers and UG takeover cards. I could have seen a path where I picked up all those Talas Lookouts and went full UG but I think Destroy Evil might make the split worthwhile? What if I played Pixie Illusionist instead of Argivian Cavalier to better enable Full Domain lol

P1P3 WG dual > Phalanx. Phalanx is pretty average but a WG dual is really good with a Missionary + Treaty start
P2P9 Don't really care about Vinewall in what is looking like an assertive domain deck. I just take the WB dual here because that 1B kicker on Missionary turns it from a good to great card
P2P12 Captain's Call here? I don't see us running Scout the Wilderness
P3P1 Less sure about this but I would just take Rootwalla or a dual, we already have a copy of Destroy Evil and other interaction

https://sealeddeck.tech/8OjG9ryBlz

I added 2 Forests Swamp and trimmed 2 Islands Plains. As I said Missionary becomes that much better when kicked so being able to fetch a Swamp is nice. I could see going down to 9 G sources to get a better spread for Domain or keep 10 and run one copy of Scout the Wilderness. Not as concerned about W and U requirements because most of those cards are usually better off curve. I also went with 3rd Might over 2nd Destroy Evil but don't feel strongly about either configuration.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hooplah posted:

Even with autoassign on, it'll distribute damage to kill as many dudes as possible

My necromass was a 6/6 at the time and they blocked with a 3/4, a 1/3, and a 5/4, i think with auto assign on it would have dealt just enough damage to kill the first blocker and then the rest to the next blocker until all damage was dealt and not do 2 damage to each blocker like I assigned to kill all three?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
if something has deathtouch, autoassign will assign 1 damage to each creature in order

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

wei posted:

if something has deathtouch, autoassign will assign 1 damage to each creature in order

Ahh okay I wasnt sure if it did that or not, I was under the impression that it wouldn't... why else would my opponent 3 for 1 themselves haha

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

I usually only do 1 or 2 premier drafts/set, and totally washed out of both I've done for DMU. I did a Bo3 cube when it was up recently, and it was a much, much better experience overall. Even though theoretically the reward structure for Bo1 is much less punishing than Bo3, I think I'll be sticking to Bo3 even for set drafts going forward just because getting to x-3 because you flooded out a couple games or didn't draw your bomb feels bad.

I way prefer the gameplay but I wish it was 4 wins or 2 losses like sealed. I find losing a game and knowing that means you've lost out on another draft really demoralising.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just won a match I was absolutely not meant to win by casting 3 invoke despair in a row turn after turn. Slightly bullshit card lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lord Banana posted:

I way prefer the gameplay but I wish it was 4 wins or 2 losses like sealed. I find losing a game and knowing that means you've lost out on another draft really demoralising.

That only happens when you rely on winning drafts to pay for drafts. Once you realize drafting is a black hole where all of your disposable income goes, losses stop mattering so much. You can always buy more gems, getting good at draft is EXPENSIVE and there's really no getting around that.