Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

whos that broooown posted:

That's the whole point. They did have Iowa and Wisconsin level success but decided that wasn't good enough for them. And that mindset blew up on their faces several times

This is it right here. They should be able to compete with Iowa and Wisconsin and NW and Minnesota, but they are run by complete idiots. There are no outside reasons they aren't at that level, it is all internal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

California proximity helps and obviously theyre a much better run program than Nebraska. I agree that location isnt everything with recruiting, just saying that BYU in particular would have the same success anywhere as long as they remained THE Mormon school.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

A former coworker of mine whos a lifelong Husker and still calls Osborn Doctor Tom is convinced they have a legit shot at Campbell or Mark Stoops.

I simply would have kept Solich.

Pawn stars voice: Best I can do is Mike Stoops

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I can't tell anyone exactly what's wrong with Nebraska, but they have definitely made some terrible decisions over the last 20 years and it all started with firing Frank Solich. I don't think Nebraska quite had realized that college ball was shifting nationally away from regional dynamics. Their brand alone wasn't carrying them anymore. They fire a winning coach because he wasn't winning enough. Then they get Bo Pelini, who has just a slightly worse record than Solich did, and he gets fired for pretty much the same reasons, winning, but not enough. If that isn't a sign to most potential coaches to stay away, I don't know what is.

Maybe Nebraska has toned down their expectations a little, but I doubt it. The combo of running through coaches, and then switching to a new conference that also means abandoning a lot of old recruiting grounds and trying to form new ones is pretty tough to overcome. I actually thought the Frost hire was a good one, but maybe he was always a bad coach who just out recruited at UCF, which overshadowed his coaching ability. Nebraska probably needs to realize that the next coach needs to be given at least 4 years before they get fired. Otherwise, they're going to be fighting for second-tier candidates because the top-tier ones know it's either conference champ or bust, and that is a tall order at NU.

As for Matt Campbell, I really doubt he takes the NU job. It would be more money with more resources, but way higher expectations and less loyalty. I think he's holding out for a higher profile gig than Nebraska considering all the other openings he was rumored for and never took.

I feel like this could be the year he jumps. How long can he maintain success at ISU and keep the options he currently has for his next job open? Nebraska has deeper pockets and is in the big 10 -- a much higher perch than the big 12 is about to become.

And there's always the temptation to be 'the dude' who turns a program around, kinda like he's done at ISU, just on a larger stage. Idk if NU, but I'd guess Campbell takes the leap this season.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

They play in California, one of the top high school talent states in the country, twice a year. Plus they've been competent-to-good for the last 15 years. Brandtm and visibility where recruiting is helps.

It's the exact same thing with OU and (state of) Texas.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

whos that broooown posted:

Yeah, like Ohio State's star offensive players are from California, Virginia, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

You realize half of Pennsylvania and Virginia are within 300 miles of Columbus?

Ohio State is one of the outliers because they can arbitrarily recruit anywhere. But, look at the roster. Half the team is from Ohio.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Always entertaining to see peoples first exposure to midnight yell. This isnt a new thing.

It's still funny.

why wasn't he doing the weird knee raise/arm grab thing?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Always entertaining to see peoples first exposure to midnight yell. This isnt a new thing.

Yeah their jokes suck but Id look like a fool for the networking opportunity the yell leaders get.

I've been to a midnight yell before and it's still funny

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

I feel like this could be the year he jumps. How long can he maintain success at ISU and keep the options he currently has for his next job open? Nebraska has deeper pockets and is in the big 10 -- a much higher perch than the big 12 is about to become.

And there's always the temptation to be 'the dude' who turns a program around, kinda like he's done at ISU, just on a larger stage. Idk if NU, but I'd guess Campbell takes the leap this season.

It's impossible to speculate about someone's motives. Why did Gary Patterson stick with TCU so long? He apparently just loved it there. Maybe Matt Campbell is not masterminding a perfect career for himself, and he just wants to coach ISU for as long as he can.

So Nebraska may as well offer him the job because for all anyone knows that's his dream job.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

wa27 posted:

It's still funny.

why wasn't he doing the weird knee raise/arm grab thing?

Oh yeah Im not saying its not funny - I had just read the r/cfb thread about it with floods of people just finding out about it while Big 12 flairs were like see what we mean?

He didnt do the traditional arm grabs because Old Army is dead and New Army is a bunch of good for nothings who just want to play that fork knife game :argh:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Lance Leipold bit made me laugh a little because I think I actually agree with it.

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1569302584426627072

As of now he's won two FBS games in a year and two games at Kansas and...you know he's probably a pretty good choice for Nebraska to hire for a rebuild based off of nothing but that.

e: Oh I missed that this was part of it

quote:

How about a candidate with Cornhusker roots and strong ties around the state? He was a Nebraska assistant from 2001-03, sandwiched around a decade at Nebraska-Omaha.

He's just labeled vaguely as 'assistant' on wiki and I don't have any idea what he was actually doing, but these were the last Solich years.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 12, 2022

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It's impossible to speculate about someone's motives. Why did Gary Patterson stick with TCU so long? He apparently just loved it there. Maybe Matt Campbell is not masterminding a perfect career for himself, and he just wants to coach ISU for as long as he can.

So Nebraska may as well offer him the job because for all anyone knows that's his dream job.

For sure. I feel like I've read/heard he is open to larger job, hence my opining.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
How are Nebraska's facilities?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

I don't know but I'd guess they're pretty good? Spending money on football hasn't ever been their problem I don't think.

See: firing Scott Frost now, paying the full buyout, and costing themselves 7.5 million instead of firing him after an inevitable loss next week and a bye.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
the facilities are good, but going to get better next year thanks to a new $160m facility that Frost helped get built

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I searched and it looks like they're building a fancy sports complex:

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/big-red-business-nebraska-s-football-facility-is-on-budget-and-on-schedule

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fullcast finally posted after the haint claimed them for two days, it appears a blood week was declared

https://twitter.com/IsThisBloodWeek/status/1569340260034789379

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Fullcast finally posted after the haint claimed them for two days, it appears a blood week was declared

https://twitter.com/IsThisBloodWeek/status/1569340260034789379

Skip to 9 minutes if you just want the blood week declaration. (Hint: you want to hear it)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Skip to 9 minutes if you just want the blood week declaration. (Hint: you want to hear it)

Because the first 9 minutes is just Jason (I think) reading a Revelations parody, right?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

North Dakota State has managed to craft itself into an FCS Death Star that no FBS program dare schedule or else face complete embarrassment and they're recruiting the exact same geographical region as those Big 10 schools

*tugs collar nervously*

(it's ok, we're already an embarrassment)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

This is more an aesthetic thing but Memorial is the most ridiculous stadium in the country. 10,000 seats down the sidelines, 30,000 in each endzone. Looks like Goatse Stadium. Annoys me every time I watch a Husker loss on TV

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I had to look up Arizona's head coach. I kind of feel bad for the guy, not just because he's working with very little at the moment but because his lifestyle for the past 25 years has been that of a nomad.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

LLCoolJD posted:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

This is more an aesthetic thing but Memorial is the most ridiculous stadium in the country. 10,000 seats down the sidelines, 30,000 in each endzone. Looks like Goatse Stadium. Annoys me every time I watch a Husker loss on TV

It's funny that you mentioned that, because to me Sanford Stadium looks like it's failing to render a chunk.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

I had to look up Arizona's head coach. I kind of feel bad for the guy, not just because he's working with very little at the moment but because his lifestyle for the past 25 years has been that of a nomad.

His selling point was apparently all the connections he's made over his million jobs and given the transfers and recruits he pulled in after a 1-win season, I believe it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Nebraska is a great example of an entitys competitive advantage disappearing without their recognizing it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Neil Armbong posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave, but I also expected it to happen the last two years and then it didn't. So I've turned into not really believing it until I see it. If he didn't bolt after ISU won the Fiesta Bowl in 2020, then I don't know what he's waiting for. I'm sure he had people banging down his door after that season.

It's all rumors, but people think he's waiting for something like Wisconsin, ND, or OSU. I think he's an Ohio guy, so something closer to home is preferred. Obviously, OSU isn't opening up without something weird happening, but the other two could be on the table.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Qwijib0 posted:

*tugs collar nervously*

(it's ok, we're already an embarrassment)

They were also supposed to play at Oregon in 2020 but that got cancelled due to COVID.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

regulargonzalez posted:

That's the other demonstrably wrong take that gets repeated over and over again. "Nebraska thinks they can return to the 90s" -- literally the only people thinking we expect that are non-Husker fans. I mean, the first hundred times another fan base tells you what your fan base thinks, it's a little amusing. After that it gets kind of old.

https://twitter.com/larsanderson71/status/1569081585433018376?s=21&t=iDmM3JxJA2Op00-NRsTofw

look at the responses to this tweet and tell me with a straight face that nebraska fans dont think that theyre this close to returning to the 90s

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Seaniqua posted:

the facilities are good, but going to get better next year thanks to a new $160m facility that Frost helped get built

New hot take: Trev Alberts brought Scott Frost in to close the $160m deal, win over boosters, taxpayers (does it use tax $$?), etc.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/larsanderson71/status/1569081585433018376?s=21&t=iDmM3JxJA2Op00-NRsTofw

look at the responses to this tweet and tell me with a straight face that nebraska fans dont think that theyre this close to returning to the 90s

depends on the nebraska fan, fella

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also lmao at "the only people who think Huskers fans expect Nebraska to go back to the success it had in the 90s is non-Huskers fans" followed literally immediately by "there is literally no reason to not expect Nebraska to be more successful than Iowa or Wisconsin every year" with zero self-awareness

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Alaois posted:

Also lmao at "the only people who think Huskers fans expect Nebraska to go back to the success it had in the 90s is non-Huskers fans" followed literally immediately by "there is literally no reason to not expect Nebraska to be more successful than Iowa or Wisconsin every year" with zero self-awareness

You dont see any air between 90s Nebraska and modern Iowa/Wisconsin?

Solich and Pelini were already doing that. It wasnt enough.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the difference between 90s greatness and still a Big ten contender seems pretty small to me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

You don’t see any air between 90s Nebraska and modern Iowa/Wisconsin?

Solich and Pelini were already doing that. It wasn’t enough.

Whats the middle ground between 90s Nebraska and "better than the top teams in our current division"? Mark Richt Georgia? Winning 10 games and then getting murdered by Ohio State in the conference championship? Because Georgia fans were so satisfied with that

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Have teams introduced an offensive coordinator mid-season? The only thing that gives me hope for Mizzou at this point is Eli Drinkwitz swallowing his pride and hiring someone who actually knows how to run an offense with the personnel they have instead of whatever it is he's been doing the past 3 seasons

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Florida having two Hall of Fame coaches almost back-to-back has broken me. Bowden-to-Fisher at FSU probably had a similar impact on the Noles. I can't say I am not guilty of unreasonable expectations. But man it looks harder to make a course correction in Lincoln, NE.

The post-Saban years in Tuscaloosa have the potential to be oh so toxic. :munch:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

aggy has been DMCAing their cringy as hell yell practice for the App St game

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

lamentable dustman posted:

aggy has been DMCAing their cringy as hell yell practice for the App St game

Honestly the funniest option so more people make fun of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

Honestly the funniest option so more people make fun of it

yup. if they just let slide it would pass. but they're streissand effecting it now.