Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I kind of hope orym dies. He found out at his last moment that his mission was just about complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I really like the little halfling, he feels like the heart (or perhaps conscience) of the group. I hope he pulls through.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I hope he dies and is instantly replaced by his brother, 2orym, who has all the same memories and personality.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I hope he dies and is instantly replaced by his brother, 2orym, who has all the same memories and personality.

Twoidus born

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ashton going down screwed them but in general they gotta be more ruthless in combat. Like come on any other D&D party would have kick-circled Dusk immediately

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
What a week to finally catch up after spending basically the entire campaign so far 2-3 weeks behind. :stare: Fearne better survive somehow, really don't care that much about Orym. Isn't there something with Fey creatures where they just respawn back in the Feywild instead of actually dying (like how Frumpkin worked?) I assume player characters don't literally get immortality since that would be kind of OP but it seems like there could be some non-traditional path to her revival in the event that the party can't pull it off directly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Volte posted:

What a week to finally catch up after spending basically the entire campaign so far 2-3 weeks behind. :stare: Fearne better survive somehow, really don't care that much about Orym. Isn't there something with Fey creatures where they just respawn back in the Feywild instead of actually dying (like how Frumpkin worked?) I assume player characters don't literally get immortality since that would be kind of OP but it seems like there could be some non-traditional path to her revival in the event that the party can't pull it off directly.

that's a demons/devil "gotta go to their plane to kill them for good" thing

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

There's that Overly Dramatic Bard College that Liam, Ashley, and Travis made hilarious ads for that still has yet to appear at the table...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Give them a seething, determined Oath of Conquest paladin and watch the kill count skyrocket

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
If they die, they all come back as Grave Domain Clerics just to annoy Matt.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

It'll be the full elf campaign Laura threatened to do.

Never get snuck up on while sleeping again!

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Liam's new character will just be Dusk in disguise :unsmigghh:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Volte posted:

That's really more of a true/greater fay + familiar thing. The lesser fay dont really operate like that IIRC. Familiar are kind of immutable because they are more of a wild spirit given a cat body than it was a true cat. Lesser fay just keel over dead like any other.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I feel like of the three who are either dead or a fingernail's breadth from it, Orym is probably the most likely to get the big "stakes are raised" sacrifice? Laudna's got a potentially meaty character arc that's still in the relatively early stages and Fearne...well I just really like Fearne (easily the most of any of Ashley's main campaign PCs). The cliffhanger ending is obviously positioned to let Matt have those "come back or move on?" conversations with everyone before recording their next session and Liam seems like the most likely (to me) of the three to choose the latter.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xeria posted:

I feel like of the three who are either dead or a fingernail's breadth from it, Orym is probably the most likely to get the big "stakes are raised" sacrifice? Laudna's got a potentially meaty character arc that's still in the relatively early stages and Fearne...well I just really like Fearne (easily the most of any of Ashley's main campaign PCs). The cliffhanger ending is obviously positioned to let Matt have those "come back or move on?" conversations with everyone before recording their next session and Liam seems like the most likely (to me) of the three to choose the latter.

If Matt doesn't wave the undo wand first thing next episode and re-alive then by gm fiat (which I really don't expect, I think he wants character deaths to have narrative and emotional weight), my thought is that Orym probably stays full dead, fearne revives, Laudna either stabilized or revives, and Imogen is more than likely MIA for a while.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I doubt Imogen is MIA.

Her going through this, she is going to kill the poo poo out of Otohan(who's already decently weakened), and going to deal with the personal fallout of this happening.

This doesn't feel like a lose character agency moment.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The Imogen part itself feels kind of reminiscent to something that happened in one of my campaigns, that was preceded by our DM messaging some of us individually, "Hey, would you be willing to play another character from your backstory in case something happens to your current one (not death)?" He orchestrated a scenario where ~something~ could happen to like three different PCs that wasn't an outright death, which basically turned into two PCs semi-sacrificing ourselves to jump through separate BBEG portals to lure them away and the third (an extra-cursed bloodhunter) going full feral and attacking another BBEG who rolled up on the scene as the remaining PCs escaped. DM immediately post-session: "Well, uh, I didn't expect all of you to do that but welp here we are!"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

As much as I’d love a guaranteed 4 hour session every week, I’m so glad my games aren’t broadcast to a fan base of the biggest losers and psychos imaginable.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I wonder if Imogen going dark phoenix mode allows for the revive everyone rear end pull. I assume that's partially what giving in to the storm is going to do for her. That way you don't potentially lose four characters at the same time to death and whatever happens to Imogen.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

As much as I’d love a guaranteed 4 hour session every week, I’m so glad my games aren’t broadcast to a fan base of the biggest losers and psychos imaginable.

Wait why are we talking about Star Wars fans in the CR thread

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Here's the most important thing about last Thursday: it ended in chaos, and chaos in RPGs is fun.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

This week's episode is a perfect spot for a flashback episode not addressing what happened last week. Then next week they can do a greatest hits clip show episode, followed by their week off. They can milk this for a month!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Everyone plays different characters this week. They never address last week's episode.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Everyone plays different characters this week. They never address last week's episode.

Next episode is Dorian and Dariax and Opal loving around half a world over and nobody talks about it.

Imagine the rage that would happen.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

DeathSandwich posted:

Next episode is Dorian and Dariax and Opal loving around half a world over and nobody talks about it.

Imagine the rage that would happen.

Dorian answers his sending stone but just hears dead air so he assumes Orym butt-dialed him and goes about his day.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

They start next week's episode as if everything is fine except for Imogen, who is actually the only member of the Bells Hells who is deceased.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1569400578005950466

Beautiful image choice.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Crazy Ted posted:

They start next week's episode as if everything is fine except for Imogen, who is actually the only member of the Bells Hells who is deceased.
They start next week’s episode where everyone is fine, the only mention of it is someone saying what a lucky escape they all had with no further explanation, and it never gets brought up again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Antitonic posted:

They start next week’s episode where everyone is fine, the only mention of it is someone saying what a lucky escape they all had with no further explanation, and it never gets brought up again.
They start next week's episode and it's Matt with a completely different cast but with the same player characters and nobody says anything.

Actually this would be a great April Fool's episode.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 12, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That sure was an episode. I don't pay attention to Critical Role stuff on the days between Thursday and Monday, so the only real clue I had about this episode being significant was this thread having a larger post count than normal, especially since only a few of those posts were before the break.

I don't know what exactly to think about this. It seems like there could very well be at least one permanent death, but this is all up in the air still.

I don't agree with the idea that this was the players fault. Well, okay, they did spend a lot of their spell slots since waking up and fighting FCG, but they weren't expecting a surprise battle that same evening to prompt an opening to retrieve their target.

The group largely avoided open confrontation. Matt chose to have Otohan block their escape route, knowing her strength. There was no way that Otohan "asking for a conversation" was not going to turn hostile, barring an unconditional surrender by everyone. Even though the group decided immediately to retreat, he chose to have Otohan ruthlessly go after everyone who tried to retreat, and then upped the ante by going for killing blows on downed targets, repeatedly.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 13, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dragonstoned posted:

Liam's new character will just be Dusk in disguise :unsmigghh:
Down for this.

xeria posted:

Not...really? When a death happened in C2, Matt genuinely seemed bummed about it at the end of the episode, or at the very least not laughing and giggly at a cliffhanger like he did this one.
In C2, that death was final because there were no options to fix it. If anyone's permadead out of this, it'll be because of realive failures or because that's the player's choice. I can see that alone being the difference for Matt.

My random guesses:
Orym down. It's a pretty coherent story for him and I think'll appeal to Liam's love of bittersweet endings.
Fearne, by way of FCG. Fearne learning to cope with a fear of consequences'll be interesting.
Laudna, by way of more reckless magic (possibly imogen's?). I wonder if they'll have Grey on to play Delilah Reincarnate.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Definitely think people are freaking out over nothing and most if not all of the deaths won't stick. Seems like this is going to be a story setpiece, what with Imogen going all Jean Grey while the villain cackles at the end. Matt would have been way less cheerful if he was really TPKing the party

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

They start next week's episode and it's Matt with a completely different cast but with the same player characters and nobody says anything.

Actually this would be a great April Fool's episode.

The inevitable return of Sam Rigel.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Rahul posted:

Definitely think people are freaking out over nothing and most if not all of the deaths won't stick. Seems like this is going to be a story setpiece, what with Imogen going all Jean Grey while the villain cackles at the end. Matt would have been way less cheerful if he was really TPKing the party

I feel like if this is what is happening this really cheapens the whole thing and means their are zero stakes for anyone because ultimately Matt decides who lives or dies regardless of what is really going on. Given this is supposed to be a ttrpg and not just people acting out a story, it's pretty poor form for a DM to do this kind of thing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think it sucks if they die in an encounter and it turns out to be a fake-out and everyone's fine, but if this was set up as a story crossroads to let the players choose the fate of their characters, that's still perfectly within the spirit of the table. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with the same party, but I also wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them stays dead.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I feel like if this is what is happening this really cheapens the whole thing and means their are zero stakes for anyone because ultimately Matt decides who lives or dies regardless of what is really going on. Given this is supposed to be a ttrpg and not just people acting out a story, it's pretty poor form for a DM to do this kind of thing.

It can be done well, but I think in order to work it needs to be blindingly obvious that it was an unwinnable situation from the start. Brennan having Asmodeus wreck the party in a literal blink of an eye in calamity would be an example of this. This one seems to be landing weird because it's not entirely clear what it was meant to be. Its very rare to cut off the players exit if they realise they're in over their heads. On the other hand, as people have pointed out with better rolls and better tactics it seems like they could have had a decent shot of taking her down.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The only time I've played with a DM who went for intentional killing blows like that, it was also part of a story setpiece. Granted it's probably not a good idea most of the time (and especially in the hands of most DMs) but I still don't think Matt starts outright murdering PCs like he did if he doesn't intend on giving them the chance to recover at least somewhat from it (if they chose), even if that recovery is just "Otohan's gone and in DM-combat time, only like 12 seconds has passed since Fearne and Orym went down, do your best".

Folks elsewhere have been positing that it could be a dream sequence/major illusion to gently caress with Imogen specifically but I can't see Matt starting the next session with "it was all a dream~" like that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah, the fact that Matt went out of his way to do a mid-turn switcheroo in the middle of fighting Chetney specifically to finish off Orym felt very intentional. It's one thing if the only PC in range is down and there's no logical reason they wouldn't finish them off (e.g., Molly) but I've never seen him be quite so ruthlessly surgical in his elimination of a player before.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Volte posted:

Yeah, the fact that Matt went out of his way to do a mid-turn switcheroo in the middle of fighting Chetney specifically to finish off Orym felt very intentional. It's one thing if the only PC in range is down and there's no logical reason they wouldn't finish them off (e.g., Molly) but I've never seen him be quite so ruthlessly surgical in his elimination of a player before.

Maybe Liam wants to go back to his usual dark and brooding character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Volte posted:

But that made sense (and Matt went out of his way to explain it in-character) because the PCs kept popping back up. This is supposed to be a very clever and tactically thinking opponent, outnumbered despite all their abilities. Making sure that some of their foes actually *stay down* makes all the sense in the world. It also seems probable that (based on the 'you're just leaving your friends to die' comment) Otahan was at least partway hoping that taking out the rest of the party would make Imogen surrender. (More speculative: she really seemed to write them off when they refused her offer to talk with the 'perhaps you're worth nothing but ash' comment)

It's easy to Monday morning QB this obviously but this was a huge screwing of the pooch by the players from the beginning. Literally surrounded by an organized mercenary band with at least two major leaders present, they go with a plan that was essentially 'grab it and run'. Gifted a (temporary?) ally - and one who seemed oddly well-tailored for Otahan fighting - they immediately piss that away. They run into the baddie, who adds a massive demonstration of their power level to what was already known about them by trashing a vehicle with a sword. Matt could not have done more to hang a giant 'BADASS' sign over her.

Otahan wants to talk though, so much so that she sticks to it even after a lightning storm gets cast on her. Probably she does want some variety of surrender, but that's at least a position you can work from instead of kicking off what's been strongly telegraphed as a mismatch. Heck, in C2 they changed the whole story forever with something they did from a 'surrender' position. They push the fight, though, even though they've used a bunch of spells prior.

Even with all that, if not for Taliesen's bad initiative roll and the party being stuck halfway between fighting and running, there was still enough there to suggest that in more ideal circumstances, they might have been able to straight up win.

I *hope* it's not an 'it was all a dream/illusion' reveal next ep because that would feel pretty cheap and not the way Matt usually runs things. The players entirely earned what happened that episode, and I look forward to seeing where the story goes next.