Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Decklist me.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4926918#paper

Good matchups are Mono green, Mono white, spirits, Phoenix, Strings

Bad matchups are Rakdos, Sac, and some versions of mono red.

Like I said, if you're looking at a high density of mono green its a great choice, if rakdos swings around to~30% it probably isnt the correct choice.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

W.T. Fits posted:

Dumb Commander question: if I have the new Sol'kanar as my Commander, I can't cheat my way out of the fourth option ("Exile Sol'kanar, then return it to the battlefield under an opponent's control") using the "if your Commander leaves play, you can return it to your Command Zone instead" rule, since the entire ability has to resolve before the game checks state-based effects to see that he was exiled, correct?

You can't cheat the last effect because even if you chose to replace putting him in exile with putting him into the command zone you still have to return him to the battlefield. When an Ability just says to 'return' a card, it doesn't care if it ended up going to a different zone than it 'expected'. And the game doesn't "lose track" of him, like one might expect- in order for that to happen, he would have to go to exile, then leave exile to a different zone, but if it's a replacement effect, he just goes straight to the command zone, so the rules still know where he is.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Abhorrence posted:

You can't cheat the last effect because even if you chose to replace putting him in exile with putting him into the command zone you still have to return him to the battlefield. When an Ability just says to 'return' a card, it doesn't care if it ended up going to a different zone than it 'expected'. And the game doesn't "lose track" of him, like one might expect- in order for that to happen, he would have to go to exile, then leave exile to a different zone, but if it's a replacement effect, he just goes straight to the command zone, so the rules still know where he is.

But then when you cast him aren't you creating a new instance of him?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
1-2 dropped my Saturday DMU Limited RCQ and finished 3rd/4th in the Sunday one. Happy with the result because I've always struggled at playing paper Magic to the same level as I do on digital. I wish there were more competitive limited events in my area because I'd love to do more, but other than these two they're all Pioneer or Modern events. It does make sense for a Pioneer RC I guess.

Sealed (4-2, 7th)

T8 Draft

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Lord Banana posted:

But then when you cast him aren't you creating a new instance of him?

Yes, but you're not casting him.
You are performing the exact same action as you would if he wasn't your Commander. You are going to move him from the battlefield to another zone, then move him from that zone to the battlefield. It doesn't matter if the other zone is the command zone or the exile zone, he behaves the same way in either case.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Paul Zuvella posted:

Top 8'd back to back Pioneer RCQs this weekend. 4th-8th on saturday, 3rd-4th on Sunday.
Was on Boros Heroic, had to sneak in on Breakers both times.

Mono-green matchup is like, ludicrously good. It might be 80-20. I would reccomend anyone looking at a field that is 35%-40% mono green to check out the deck!

Good work

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice job. I took scam to a modern RCQ but had to leave early for a pet emergency (cat's doing fine thankfully)

I’ll either play scam or creativity this weekend at an rcq. Have had really nice results on mtgo with both so it’s just up to how active my brain is feeling that morning.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Abhorrence posted:

This is wrong with the 2020 change in the commander rule. As Toshimo mentioned, moving a commander to the command zone is now a special state-based action which occurs after the commander has moved zones. (This is why you now get death triggers from commanders being destroyed.) So, Sol'Kanar is exiled with his own effect, but before the effect fully resolves, he moves from the exiled zone to the command zone, and the "return" clause in the effect loses track of him.

Ignore this.

Before this rules change, you would run into situations where Grasp of Fate-style exile effects would cause commanders to get dragged out of the command zone back onto the field when the enchantment left the field because replacing the exile with a move to the command zone ensured the card was still tagged by the "return" clause.

This is no longer the case since the card in now moving zones TWICE, meaning the "return" tag gets lost.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 12, 2022

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Top 8'd back to back Pioneer RCQs this weekend. 4th-8th on saturday, 3rd-4th on Sunday.

Mono-green matchup is like, ludicrously good. It might be 80-20. I would reccomend anyone looking at a field that is 35%-40% mono green to check out the deck!

Hows the matchup vs abzan greasefang?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

This is wrong with the 2020 change in the commander rule. As Toshimo mentioned, moving a commander to the command zone is now a special state-based action which occurs after the commander has moved zones. (This is why you now get death triggers from commanders being destroyed.) So, Sol'Kanar is exiled with his own effect, but before the effect fully resolves, he moves from the exiled zone to the command zone, and the "return" clause in the effect loses track of him.

Before this rules change, you would run into situations where Grasp of Fate-style exile effects would cause commanders to get dragged out of the command zone back onto the field when the enchantment left the field because replacing the exile with a move to the command zone ensured the card was still tagged by the "return" clause.

This is no longer the case since the card in now moving zones TWICE, meaning the "return" tag gets lost.

So I haven't played Commander in a while (not since 2020 apparently) and I didn't know about this change... but if it's a state based action, you would not check it during the resolution of an ability,, so Sol'kanar would just exile and come back to the battlefield under an opponent's control, with no way to cheat it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dang congrats. Can't wait for Swiftspear to get added on Arena, will really be a game changer for the Heroic deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Abhorrence posted:

So I haven't played Commander in a while (not since 2020 apparently) and I didn't know about this change... but if it's a state based action, you would not check it during the resolution of an ability,, so Sol'kanar would just exile and come back to the battlefield under an opponent's control, with no way to cheat it.

You're right. I was missing when SBAs are checked, and forgot the disconnect on the Grasp of Fate example because there's a time delay.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Hows the matchup vs abzan greasefang?

It’s mostly a race. In game 1 you can beat angels with a gods willing. I play two hearse out of the board so there is some play in game 2/3.

I don’t really have enough reps in the matchup to really have an idea how it swings but it seems fine based on limited experience.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Has anyone here bought sealed MTG product through Best Buy? I’m wondering how my experience so far stacks up against others. I pre-ordered a collector booster box through them a month ago, and it’s still in a status of “Waiting to be Shipped.” This is after September 9th was (correctly) listed as the release date and the order says “Get it on release day!” and they have since updated the release date to September 15th on the order. I don’t know if this is a supply chain issue or what, but so far Best Buy customer service hasn’t exactly been helpful.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why on earth would you buy magic cards at best buy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Isn't it one of those online market places that uses Bestbuy stores as warehouses and gets to brand under bestbuy rather than bestbuy itself?
Like walmart does because everyone is competing with amazon now?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sometimes you have a Best Buy-only card and a good way to pay it off after it’s charged. This wouldn’t normally be my route of buying cards, honestly. I should also note that Wizards themselves promotes their sets as being purchasable through BB.

Edit: and given the experience, this will almost certainly be the last time I do this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't it one of those online market places that uses Bestbuy stores as warehouses and gets to brand under bestbuy rather than bestbuy itself?
Like walmart does because everyone is competing with amazon now?

Every retailer does this now.

Paul Zuvella posted:

GIft cards, credit balances, etc.

My normal sushi joint I go had someone come up to me and ask "why did you order this on door dash if you were coming to pick this up yourself?" and I felt I had to explain that my workplace gives me money to eat with directly on door dash and I didn't want to use up that money on delivery.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

New cards from Warhammer 40K

Precon Commanders:

Std Commander Reprints:

The 2nd Command Tower is for the Ruinous Powers Precon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Necrons are Mono Black, so they get no Command tower.
But also, Chaos gets no Arcane Signet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like that hardened scales art

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Uh.. yeah..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEmTEWDJtt0

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Can you imagine if they put a Doubling Season or Parallel Lives into the nid deck?

Deathleaper as a theoretical build-around commander is extremely niche and rude, I like it.

Also, SwarmlordBroodlord isn't legendary, so Magus Lucea into it is extra spicy.

Nid deck owning so far.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 12, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Archenteron posted:

Also, Swarmlord isn't legendary, so Magus Lucea into it is extra spicy.

You mean Broodlord?
The Swarmlord and Stormlord are legendary.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

HootTheOwl posted:

You mean Broodlord?
The Swarmlord and Stormlord are legendary.

Hurf, yeah, Broodlord.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
parallel lives is a card i wish was better. I've got one from an old precon deck and it's so much fun

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Commander Precon Legendary

6 Mana Value, with 1-3 colors

Legendary ~Flavor Non Tribal~

Static Ability / Triggered ability that's pretty good

Activated ability / Beginning of Combat / End of turn ability that's pretty good

Decent P/T

Hire me wizards

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The First Tyrannic War would be insane in a Hydra deck, I just don't think you'd make one in Temur.

I mentioned it in the Commander thread but Bel'akor might be one of the best demon tribal commanders.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That Temur guy is cool. Turns the X tutor spells into wincons.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Devor posted:

Commander Precon Legendary

6 Mana Value, with 1-3 colors

Legendary ~Flavor Non Tribal~

Static Ability / Triggered ability that's pretty good

Activated ability / Beginning of Combat / End of turn ability that's pretty good

Decent P/T

Hire me wizards

Yeah how come they never make any vanilla commanders??

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I really hate that i like the wh40k stuff lol, imagine spending money on this game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The tyranid deck is targeted right at me lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really hate that i like the wh40k stuff lol, imagine spending money on this game

I don’t need to imagine; I just bought 30 Dan Dans.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

aww old one eye is a Collossal Dreadmaw

Belakor and Imotekh look fun, cascade theme for chaos is on point and hopefully the deck has some bangers

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

call me if anything in these things is legacy playable

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Me before and after announcement of commander products

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Me before and after announcement of commander products

RIP Pablo, comatose, never to awaken again.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I've had good experiences with buying mtg from best buy except when it comes to collector boxes. i ordered double masters boxes and they didn't send the collector booster box... they at least refunded me, and frankly that was for the best. much better off with the two draft boxes i got for waaaay less than the 370 theyve been going for

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Party Miser posted:

I've had good experiences with buying mtg from best buy except when it comes to collector boxes. i ordered double masters boxes and they didn't send the collector booster box... they at least refunded me, and frankly that was for the best. much better off with the two draft boxes i got for waaaay less than the 370 theyve been going for

Ahh, that sucks. Sorry that happened, but at least it seems right now like they’re consistent.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

TotalHell posted:

Ahh, that sucks. Sorry that happened, but at least it seems right now like they’re consistent.

i only order from them because it's not from Amazon and i get a discount, otherwise their markup is not great. it's in line with what the likes of target would do if they sold boxes.

there's plenty to get annoyed about with then, just ask anyone that preordered Splatoon 3 digitally from them to get a free keychain. as far as i know they haven't gotten codes from Nintendo yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chaos and regular Space Marines being tagged as Astartes means you can have them all holding hands together in Astartes tribal