Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Irregardless posted:

choosing to be a happy
Actually spitting out the phrase "choosing to be happy" is a monumentally stupid decision. You should look at improving your day to day decisions/actions and maybe next time around not imply that people can just choose to be happy. That's one really easy improvement you can make for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
While you can try to control your actions and your outlook, there’s a lot of things out of your control that affect you.

Signed, a person who tries to have a positive outlook but is depressed nonetheless

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Imagine having a positive outlook, lol.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Byzantine posted:

Well I find it better to try to hope for a better future and to find silver linings in the clouds. It helps me not want to die

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Chasing happiness is for chumps anyway

Happiness is a transient state you can't will into your life. Your effort is much better spent identifying stressors and making a granular plan to eliminate them in all aspects of your life where possible, then getting CB therapy to mitigate the monkey-brain hypervigilance that has been drilled into you since birth

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I don't have to imagine

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Irregardless posted:

My opinion is that you have decided that your happiness is out of your control.

Hey.

Some of us don't have the best brain chemistry, and try as we might through therapy, mind-altering chemicals, meditation, rubbing a groove in a rock, focusing on waking up every morning without saying "oh, gently caress me" ad infinitum, sometimes you can just be a person whose brain will not let them be fulfilled

If I could flip a switch and just live as the best version of me, I would, but I can't

I sought to make my life the one I wanted, I have eight, eight college degrees

Eight.

Then many things out of my control happened, and after a long struggle with not throwing myself in front of a moving subway car, I am very happy with what I'm doing now, but I am not living my best life or to my full potential, I'm just living the life that keeps me living

There are many, many ways in which happiness can be out of one's control, so please be cognizant of those people or just shut the gently caress up, otherwise

Thanks in advance, yours truly

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Crumps Brother posted:

Actually spitting out the phrase "choosing to be happy" is a monumentally stupid decision. You should look at improving your day to day decisions/actions and maybe next time around not imply that people can just choose to be happy. That's one really easy improvement you can make for yourself.

Oh I’m not implying anything man. Tons of people out there never stop to realize just how easy it is to survive. In their house they have clean water and sewage, electricity which gives air conditioning, heat, refrigeration, television, smartphones, and the internet. If you have all of those things, you are doing extremely well for yourself. A billionaire’s clean water, sewage, electricity, air conditioning, heat, refrigeration, television, smartphone and internet are all the same as yours. If you can’t choose to be a happy person under these circumstances then you are making your own life much more difficult than it actually is.

Granted this is all a far cry from my original point which was that people are generally way worse at everything they do than they think they are. If people focused on improving their own thoughts and minds and bodies and habits (instead of focusing on how the government should make things a certain way or otherwise “giving up” in life by coasting until death) a lot of problems in the economy and society at large would likely largely go away.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like they mean another word when they say 'happiness' but haven't bothered to to be efficient about it.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Contentment is an ontological state of being whereas happiness is an existential state of becoming. I work every day at being happy and I have been remarkably successful at it. I don't win all the time but everyday I am working on being happy. Two hours plus warm up in the morning.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

postmodifier posted:

Hey.

Some of us don't have the best brain chemistry, and try as we might through therapy, mind-altering chemicals, meditation, rubbing a groove in a rock, focusing on waking up every morning without saying "oh, gently caress me" ad infinitum, sometimes you can just be a person whose brain will not let them be fulfilled

If I could flip a switch and just live as the best version of me, I would, but I can't

Eight.

Then many things out of my control happened, and after a long struggle with not throwing myself in front of a moving subway car, I am very happy with what I'm doing now, but I am not living my best life or to my full potential, I'm just living the life that keeps me living

There are many, many ways in which happiness can be out of one's control, so please be cognizant of those people or just shut the gently caress up, otherwise

Best is relative to each individual person, but for what it’s worth, I believe in you.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Today I am euphoric. Not because of some false belief but because I have wired a number of electrodes directly into the pleasure center of my brain and I am smashing the pleasure button until I did of starvation.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

2nd Amendment posted:

Contentment is an ontological state of being whereas happiness is an existential state of becoming.

:kstare:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

Today I am euphoric. Not because of some false belief but because I have wired a number of electrodes directly into the pleasure center of my brain and I am smashing the pleasure button until I did of starvation.
*School of Life voice* he had the brain the size of a planet / but he did love to smash.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Irregardless posted:

Best is relative to each individual person, but for what it’s worth, I believe in you.

Statements like this are meaningless when in your other posts you're making GBS threads on people like them for not just choosing to not have problems, like you can wave a magic wand and just say "i'm happy now".

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Statements like this are meaningless when in your other posts you're making GBS threads on people like them for not just choosing to not have problems, like you can wave a magic wand and just say "i'm happy now".

Everybody has problems, but how many of yours are of your own making? Or are all in your head? How many problems do you have that stem from being blessed in some other fashion? The statement was genuine, and you’re falling prey to text not having any tonality so you assume I’m an rear end in a top hat. My opinion is that it is popular to relinquish control of your mental state to outside factors when in fact you are in control of your response at all times. Otherwise that would mean that you aren’t able to control what goes on inside your head, which would be no one’s fault but yours.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
I just want to make it clear that I'm not making GBS threads on you specifically, just the idea that everyone needs to hyperbolically improve their life to achieve happiness

I used to endlessly chase poo poo like that, college professor, elementary school teacher, upright professional, almost a smear on the L train

I am well paid for what I do now, but it's not a job you brag about at cocktail parties

and weirdly, never been happier than I am now

I'm literally performing at like sixty-five times less than my potential and guess what, that's okay, really, and it makes it so I don't swallow break fluid in the morning

There are many ways to live well and striving to be your ultimate self is more often than not gonna gently caress you up in ways you won't see until it's too late

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
We like to call it "external locus of control" in the mental health field.

And you, my friend, are very sick.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think that people are kind if in control of their emotions and king of not but there’s no grand ontological statement you can make out of it so it’s less fun

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

thetoughestbean posted:

I think that people are kind if in control of their emotions and king of not but there’s no grand ontological statement you can make out of it so it’s less fun

Sounds to me like you haven't read enough THEORY.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like posting Jordan Peterson takes is cheating.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Irregardless posted:

Everybody has problems, but how many of yours are of your own making? Or are all in your head? How many problems do you have that stem from being blessed in some other fashion? The statement was genuine, and you’re falling prey to text not having any tonality so you assume I’m an rear end in a top hat. My opinion is that it is popular to relinquish control of your mental state to outside factors when in fact you are in control of your response at all times. Otherwise that would mean that you aren’t able to control what goes on inside your head, which would be no one’s fault but yours.

If you aren't intending your tone to be "i'm privileged and I overcame my problems, therefore everyone should be able to", you're doing a pretty bad job at it.

Why do you think it's helpful to tell people in vulnerable situations that it's actually their fault?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

If you aren't intending your tone to be "i'm privileged and I overcame my problems, therefore everyone should be able to", you're doing a pretty bad job at it.

Why do you think it's helpful to tell people in vulnerable situations that it's actually their fault?

What part did you play in that?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

2nd Amendment posted:

What part did you play in that?

I ate rear end.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
A balanced take is that you need to put in the work and overcome your inner demons, or else you’ll never finish making those Molotov cocktails or build that anti-drone hacker box or help Grandma walk again. It’s not about shutting up and accepting abusive rhetoric from authority figures, because they’d rather you give up and die completely. The difference between “your life should be suffering, Poor” and “you should suffer if it’s the only way to achieve your goals, like violent resistance or teaching inner city kids with traumatic home lives”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Poly isn't a sexual orientation and it's a little offensive when poly people talk about it like it is. It's a style of dating. It's basically one level more legitimate of an identity than being a PUA.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Not to cast judgement, but if I may disclose something: I eat rear end all the time. On the level, it has been a profoundly positive experience for me. Not to say I haven't encountered some challenges along the way. Despite the occasional dingleberry in a moment of passion (or worse), I believe that openness to the unbidden is a key component to finding lifelong happiness.

I think we need to do some reality-testing: how has eating rear end negatively impacted your happiness?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

2nd Amendment posted:

I think we need to do some reality-testing: how has eating rear end negatively impacted your happiness?

I mean, one time someone I was seeing wanted to come over on the premise that I ate rear end and then instead proceeded to shed her entire uterine lining all over my kitchen floor, like, a lot

The breakfast sandwiches the morning after were fantastic though, so I guess it all balanced out

Still not sure if I'm happy about that memory, but put it in the maybe column?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

postmodifier posted:

I mean, one time someone I was seeing wanted to come over on the premise that I ate rear end and then instead proceeded to shed her entire uterine lining all over my kitchen floor, like, a lot

The breakfast sandwiches the morning after were fantastic though, so I guess it all balanced out

Still not sure if I'm happy about that memory, but put it in the maybe column?

this isn't the AFP thread but I still feel compelled to ask if that shedding and the breakfast sandwiches were connected in some way

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

this isn't the AFP thread but I still feel compelled to ask if that shedding and the breakfast sandwiches were connected in some way

Of course not, I cleaned it up and disposed of the issue like a gentleman, but now I'm compelled to ask for a link to the AFP thread since I've never seen it and it sounds like a good time

The secret is vinegar-poached eggs, by the way

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

polyamory is uncivilized

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Irregardless posted:

In their house they have clean water and sewage, electricity which gives air conditioning, heat, refrigeration, television, smartphones, and the internet. If you have all of those things, you are doing extremely well for yourself. A billionaire’s clean water, sewage, electricity, air conditioning, heat, refrigeration, television, smartphone and internet are all the same as yours.

You're just straight up making up untrue poo poo. A lot ofnpeople don't have a house and for most who do it's not even remotely the same. Do you not see how the fear of having these things cut off if circumstances out of your control (health, being fired, car breaking down) prevent you from working is not even remotely the same as the stability that a billionaire enjoys?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're just straight up making up untrue poo poo. A lot ofnpeople don't have a house and for most who do it's not even remotely the same. Do you not see how the fear of having these things cut off if circumstances out of your control (health, being fired, car breaking down) prevent you from working is not even remotely the same as the stability that a billionaire enjoys?

Nah, you're in complete control of your health, I can only assume you weren't working hard enough if you get laid off and you CLEARLY weren't doing the proper preventative maintenance on your 1997 Ford Taurus if it broke down on you

Too many minutes on the internet and not enough on the combination treadmill/two monitor work setup/grease pit is what it sounds like there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think there are things that will make you as an individual sad and things that will make you happy. I think you control some of things and also don’t control other things. I think you can make yourself happier by doing the things you can control although you might still end up unhappy overall if the net unhappiness from the things you can’t control is higher which is more of a fact than an opinion because now we’re just talking about math and now that I have you on the backfoot frankly I think John Wick is kind of overrated as a film series

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

postmodifier posted:

Hey.

Eight.

posting like this should be banned outside of e/n

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want an electric car but which doesnt have all the electronic and computerized bullshit. i dont want an onboard computer or gimmicky tesla stuff. i want it to feel like driving a normal car with manual transmission but without gasoline

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

i want an electric car but which doesnt have all the electronic and computerized bullshit. i dont want an onboard computer or gimmicky tesla stuff. i want it to feel like driving a normal car with manual transmission but without gasoline

That's not how engines work.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

2nd Amendment posted:

Steering is drive-by-wire already, just make a manual stick+clutch that turns motion into computer signals for the car’s computer brain. Someone became an F1 driver recently purely off of playing video games with the peripherals

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

2nd Amendment posted:

they must be made to!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

they must be made to!!