Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

you ever seen looney toons?

How do you say "Sufferin' Succotash" in Latin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Fun fact, my ex has an official letter from the pope saying she is excommunicated.

Stem cell research is more serious business than child rape, apparently.

Now I want to adult convert so I can get an actual excommunication letter.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i dont think self denial is necessarily bad, sometimes the pursuit of certain mental states gets more difficult if you cant sort of step out of your own flesh for a bit

but i am really not talking about that stuff in the same way I think a priest envisions it, because I think total denial of perfectly human valid poo poo pretty obviously fucks us up and makes us insane.

Merely being able to tell yourself no, for any kind of purpose more interesting than your flesh & blood desires, is useful discipline. It doesn't have to be a lifestyle thing? It shouldn't be? Bottling that poo poo up fucks you up as badly as wanton Bacchanalia or whatever.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you accept the idea of an omnipotent deity beyond our comprehension I don't understand why a specific tenant like transubstantiation would throw you off. Like "sure he can create the entire universe, raise the dead and watch me masturbate, but I draw the line at loving with bread!"

It's because you're dealing with some of the dumbest contrarian people on the planet, who are more interested in sounding authoritative and being praised than anything else. They've piled so many superlatives onto God that it fucks them up when they have to actually think through what those superlatives entail. And so, when asked for details on how they interact with one another, they don't have the courage of their convictions to say "Yes, he turns the bread into his body. He's God. He's all powerful. It doesn't have to make logical sense. Read some Kierkegaard. And anyways, that's aside from the point..."

Probably my favorite type of "missing the point" argument in this vein is the "Was Jesus crucified with three nails or four?" The answer, of course, is "Who gives a poo poo? You've completely missed the point of the story. You'd just as well ask if, because we know he ate a last supper, did he poo poo himself when he got stabbed on the third day, or did he poop while hanging there during the other days? It doesn't matter. It's a superfluous detail." but instead, they have to get into a massive argument about it, because that's easier than thinking about ethics or morality...

Toph Bei Fong has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Sep 9, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s what chastity is, yep.
I think we're mostly in agreement, except for the "is this a good thing or a bad thing?" part.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Obviously there are limits on the mortification of the flesh, and I’m not suggesting everybody try to emulate Saint Simeon the Stylite. Though if you want to talk about Catholicism and trans, many of the Desert Fathers practiced HRT and bottom surgery, in a manner of speaking. Are those impulses so different? Transformation of the body in pursuit of aligning it with our inner selves?

What I have noticed personally is the adult convert trad caths almost seem to pursue mortification for its own, aesthetic sake. Wrapping your thigh with with a tight knotted cord or fashionable cilice you can wear under your regular clothes are fine, sometimes they are even good, but not because they hurt. I don’t really get this one, maybe it’s that the more esoteric aspects of Catholicism or the challenges of mortification are appealing?

In any case, restraint and discipline, done for the right reasons are great. At the same time as others have said, when that’s imposed on you since childhood without an understanding why or consent to do it, it drives people away. Anyone who takes a vow of celibacy, I would hope, is practicing self denial because they cherish themselves, not out of self hatred or punishment.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

We should have listened to Thomas Nast.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone who takes a vow of celibacy, I would hope, is practicing self denial because they cherish themselves, not out of self hatred or punishment.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

If Luther had just added 5 more theses we would be in a very different situation

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Was Aquinas actually a huge lardass?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thomas Awideass

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cat botherer posted:

he had to get a hole cut in his desk to fit his gut

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Orange Devil posted:

Fun fact, my ex has an official letter from the pope saying she is excommunicated.

Stem cell research is more serious business than child rape, apparently.

did this come in the mail or was it hand delivered?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

cat botherer posted:

It's not doctrine, but it's certainly possible that his perpetual virginity was simply an inability to find his penis under his gut

https://www.christianitytoday.com/history/people/theologians/thomas-aquinas.html

quote:

No one claimed Thomas Aquinas got famous on his looks. He was colossally fat, suffered from edema (dropsy), and one huge eye dwarfed his other. Nor was he a particularly dynamic, charismatic figure. Introspective and silent most of the time, when he did speak, it was often completely unrelated to the conversation. His classmates in college called him "the dumb ox." Today, recognized as the greatest theologian of the Middle Ages, he is called "the doctor of angels."

https://www.massline.org/PhilosDog/A/Aquinas.htm

quote:

The SCHOLASTIC philosopher, Thomas Aquinas, was so fat that he has often been called one of the heaviest thinkers of all time. To this very day official Roman Catholic theology is based largely on his weighty opinions, and is called "Thomism" in his honor.

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2017/war-fat-dumb-ox

quote:

Well, take Thomas Aquinas as a case in point. The historical record does not provide his exact weight or “body mass index,” but that he was very large is an undisputed fact. And the source of his obesity is no great mystery if we recall G.K. Chesterton’s poetic account that, early in life, Thomas “sat down on that sedentary seat of scholarship, that chair of philosophy, that secret throne of contemplation, from which he never rose again.”

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's not doctrine, but it's certainly possible that his perpetual virginity was simply an inability to find his penis under his gut

quote:

Well, take Thomas Aquinas as a case in point. The historical record does not provide his exact weight or “body mass index,” but that he was very large is an undisputed fact. And the source of his obesity is no great mystery if we recall G.K. Chesterton’s poetic account that, early in life, Thomas “sat down on that sedentary seat of scholarship, that chair of philosophy, that secret throne of contemplation, from which he never rose again.”
Sounds like he was in a feeder situation and had some weird guy who got off on bringing him food and changing his diapers.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
It's very funny that trad caths loathe the only pope in my lifetime to have actually exhibited anything close to actual Christian values

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

cat botherer posted:

Sounds like he was in a feeder situation and had some weird guy who got off on bringing him food and changing his diapers.

Yes, Albertus Magnus, and they had a very talkative robot who did their chores for them

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/24518/24518-h/24518-h.htm posted:

In the year 1244, the celebrated Thomas Aquinas placed himself under his tuition. Many extraordinary stories are told of the master and his pupil. While they paid all due attention to other branches of science, they never neglected the pursuit of the philosopher’s stone and the elixir vitæ. Although they discovered neither, it was believed that Albert had seized some portion of the secret of life, and found means to animate a brazen statue, upon the formation of which, under proper conjunctions of the planets, he had been occupied many years of his life. He and Thomas Aquinas completed it together, endowed it with the faculty of speech, and made it perform the functions of a domestic servant. In this capacity it was exceedingly useful; but, through some defect in the machinery, it chattered much more than was agreeable to either philosopher. Various remedies were tried to cure it of its garrulity, but in vain; and one day, Thomas Aquinas was so enraged at the noise it made when he was in the midst of a mathematical problem, that he seized a ponderous hammer and smashed it to pieces. He was sorry afterwards for what he had done, and was reproved by his master for giving way to his anger, so unbecoming in a philosopher. They made no attempt to re-animate the statue.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

War and Pieces posted:

did this come in the mail or was it hand delivered?

Pretty sure just mail.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dude murdered a self aware astrology golem

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
A titan of Christian thought animated a statue with alchemical majicks, then murdered it in a fit of rage.

What would Jesus do?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Catholic lore is up there with 1990s White Wolf with regards to how problematic it can be

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"yeah we had a robot butler and it definitely worked but it talked too much so i smashed it to bits" is a great lie

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

Catholic lore is up there with 1990s White Wolf with regards to how problematic it can be

Sounds like you just believe The Black Legend.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"yeah we had a robot butler and it definitely worked but it talked too much so i smashed it to bits" is a great lie

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Read some Kierkegaard.
That's illegal for Catholics.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Soaking should still be cool then right?

Wait, do catholics do this poo poo too? I thought the catholic work around was to do her in the back door. It’s not pre-marital if it’s in the back door.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/CX5AIaC_P8Y

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Uh it's called the loophole.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How do you say "Sufferin' Succotash" in Latin

corn wasnt a big crop in the latin speaking world

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

corn wasnt a big crop in the latin speaking world

You mean maize.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PerniciousKnid posted:

You mean maize.

I think they called them labyrinths

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

a bunch of jesus freaks itt

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yes, Albertus Magnus, and they had a very talkative robot who did their chores for them

They didn’t teach all this cool poo poo in that intro to philosophy course I took. They didn’t even mention he was fat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1571977531020001280

Hearing that being religious is now "gay"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

love the arguments in the replies between people that think Islam is Satan and people that respect Islam for not bowing down to SJWs lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Popy posted:

a bunch of jesus freaks itt

they’re so stupid lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ZUBY: The new Martin Luther?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

“And I say to you, ‘Love thy neighbor as yourself’ for were you not both created in the image of God?”

“lol gay”