Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the last boyscout is one of the best movies of the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Shibawanko posted:

the last boyscout is one of the best movies of the 90s

perfume: the story of a murderer is one of the best movies of the 00s

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Irregardless posted:

Only once you have exhausted improving the small things can you begin to improve the larger, vaguer goals in life.
Other people took issue with the larger point being made, but I want a turn so I'm going to focus on this bit. It just isn't true at all. It might be more efficient to tackle a large goal if you're, eg. well rested from getting up and going to bed at consistent times, but it's certainly not a prerequisite.

Irregardless posted:

You only get one life to live and if you’re not trying to live the best, happiest, most efficient life that you’re able to live, I’m not sure why anyone would choose to do that.
The most efficient life and the happiest life are mutually exclusive. :colbert:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shibawanko posted:

i want an electric car but which doesnt have all the electronic and computerized bullshit. i dont want an onboard computer or gimmicky tesla stuff. i want it to feel like driving a normal car with manual transmission but without gasoline

From what I understand this is what the electric F150 is like.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teslas have poo poo knobfeel. No knobs! Shameful.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Teslas have poo poo knobfeel. No knobs! Shameful.

Every tesla has a knob

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Rather than teach gym class in high school, the should teach starcraft 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

fridge corn posted:

Every tesla has a knob

yeah, it's behind the steering wheel!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Rick posted:

My buddy has one. It does, indeed, feel like you're just driving a regular truck. Real good pick up (:haw:) too!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rick posted:

gotta look into one. i have to get a new car soon and want to get off the gas

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're just straight up making up untrue poo poo. A lot ofnpeople don't have a house and for most who do it's not even remotely the same. Do you not see how the fear of having these things cut off if circumstances out of your control (health, being fired, car breaking down) prevent you from working is not even remotely the same as the stability that a billionaire enjoys?

Perhaps I should have said domicile? Are you suggesting that a vague what-if scenario prevents you from enjoying the amenities that give you a better standard of living than half of the world’s population? Do you not understand that your senses would experience the air conditioning the exact same way regardless of whether you are in a mansion or an RV?

I will never understand why people choose to dwell on what-if scenarios. Sure, we may all experience a car wreck or an illness tomorrow, but how could that possibly have any influence on your happiness today? If you don’t actually anticipate being laid off, why are you preoccupied with the idea?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Irregardless posted:

Perhaps I should have said domicile? Are you suggesting that a vague what-if scenario prevents you from enjoying the amenities that give you a better standard of living than half of the world’s population? Do you not understand that your senses would experience the air conditioning the exact same way regardless of whether you are in a mansion or an RV?

I will never understand why people choose to dwell on what-if scenarios. Sure, we may all experience a car wreck or an illness tomorrow, but how could that possibly have any influence on your happiness today? If you don’t actually anticipate being laid off, why are you preoccupied with the idea?

Just so you know, this is insufferable fart-huffing nonsense and that is exactly how it is being received

Nothing against you, I'm just saying that maybe you intend for these posts to come across as some kind of wise monk ascendant knowledge but really you are coming across as a emotional Marie Antoinette

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Irregardless posted:

Do you not understand that your senses would experience the air conditioning the exact same way regardless of whether you are in a mansion or an RV?

Bro I live in an RV part time and the AC is not at all equivalent to living in a house.

And there's nothing vague about those what ifs. They are reality for a large percentage of the country.
https://www.kake.com/story/34248451/6-in-10-americans-dont-have-500-in-savings

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just so you know, this is insufferable fart-huffing nonsense and that is exactly how it is being received

Nothing against you, I'm just saying that maybe you intend for these posts to come across as some kind of wise monk ascendant knowledge but really you are coming across as a emotional Marie Antoinette

That’s fine if you feel that way. This is the unpopular opinion thread. The only reason I keep pushing back against folks saying that people have to be mentally affected by threats both real and imagined at all times is because that is actually what is untrue, and perhaps a lurker hasn’t thought about it. What I’m saying isn’t new, just a rehash of “count your blessings” because life is actually far, far better than lots of people (especially on this forum) would have you believe. You can choose to enjoy what you have or not, but no one makes that decision but you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Irregardless posted:

The only reason I keep pushing back against folks saying that people have to be mentally affected by threats both real and imagined at all times is because that is actually what is untrue,

Again you're just lying. You can approach things with a positive attitude, but saying people shouldn't be mentally affected by real threats to their life is insane. There's zero chance that you actually live the nonsense you're spouting and you sound like a Jordan Peterson level con artist. When's your book coming out?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

for only a few bucks a week I'll assure you that this life is just a test and you'll be totally happy and safe after you're dead

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shibawanko posted:

i want an electric car but which doesnt have all the electronic and computerized bullshit. i dont want an onboard computer or gimmicky tesla stuff. i want it to feel like driving a normal car with manual transmission but without gasoline

I would love to buy an electric car, annoying computerized bullshit and all, if only they didn't cost almost twice as much as an equivalent gas car. (Even so, if I was still doing the long commute I had a few years ago, the savings from buying electricity vs. gas would bring it a lot closer to being worth the price.)

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Creatine is proven to work

absolutely. the question is, does it accelerate hair loss?

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Again you're just lying. You can approach things with a positive attitude, but saying people shouldn't be mentally affected by real threats to their life is insane. There's zero chance that you actually live the nonsense you're spouting and you sound like a Jordan Peterson level con artist. When's your book coming out?

The key phrase is “at all times” meaning you will feel different emotions as things happen in your life. When the average day in your life consists of you being too fearful of future negative possibilities to the point where you are unable to enjoy the average day in your life, that’s on you since you can choose to instead enjoy the average day in your life.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Irregardless posted:

The key phrase is “at all times” meaning you will feel different emotions as things happen in your life. When the average day in your life consists of you being too fearful of future negative possibilities to the point where you are unable to enjoy the average day in your life, that’s on you since you can choose to instead enjoy the average day in your life.

I guess I'd ask what your response would be to people with clinical depression or other mental health issues that are unable to get adequate care. Are these people supposed to just bootstrap themselves or what?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not a fan of people implying that anyone living in the first world has no reason to complain. It feels very "94% of poor households have a refrigerator"

Which goes hand in hand with a rock-stupid bootstraps philosophy I guess

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Y'all are being trolled by the most milquetoast nothingposter in a long while. He's not saying anything except to try and punch down at anyone struggling and daring to talk about it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Captain Monkey posted:

Y'all are being trolled by the most milquetoast nothingposter in a long while. He's not saying anything except to try and punch down at anyone struggling and daring to talk about it.

Fair point. Unpopular opinion- people should get threadbanned far more often and the bar should be much lower

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Fair point. Unpopular opinion- people should get threadbanned far more often and the bar should be much lower

I agree! Unfortunately the admins don’t

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bannings and probations are cowardice

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
I find it interesting that so many people in the thread think that the idea that “you have the ability to make meaningful changes in your life” (which applies to the vast majority of the population) is covertly saying “hey outliers with disabilities your life sucks and it’s all your fault so do something about it.”

People enjoy protecting other people online that they think can’t speak up for themselves (they can) but as for the reason why that is I’m quite stumped.

Also you all must know that even if “bootstrapping” isn’t a perfect strategy for every person all of the time, sucking it up and doing what you need to do even when it’s unpleasant or you think you don’t have the strength to do it (you do) is a strategy that we all employ all the time. To speak of it as if it has no value or as a way to tell who is in what mental camp is not a good look. I only see this kind of thought online though so I know it’s not actually that prevalent of a thought process, but I’ve gotten off topic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Irregardless posted:

I find it interesting that so many people in the thread think that the idea that “you have the ability to make meaningful changes in your life” (which applies to the vast majority of the population) is covertly saying “hey outliers with disabilities your life sucks and it’s all your fault so do something about it.”

People enjoy protecting other people online that they think can’t speak up for themselves (they can) but as for the reason why that is I’m quite stumped.

Also you all must know that even if “bootstrapping” isn’t a perfect strategy for every person all of the time, sucking it up and doing what you need to do even when it’s unpleasant or you think you don’t have the strength to do it (you do) is a strategy that we all employ all the time. To speak of it as if it has no value or as a way to tell who is in what mental camp is not a good look. I only see this kind of thought online though so I know it’s not actually that prevalent of a thought process, but I’ve gotten off topic.

everyone is disagreeing with me - did I say a dumb thing?

NO!

They're all Too-Online losers!!!!!!!

Never stop posting Irregardless.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

You have no idea what you're talking about and you're making up your knowledge of how prevalent any "thought processes" are in the real world

You're really doubling down on a very stupid take. It's so wrong it's impossible to refute, but (this is the interesting part) it does no good to anyone even if it were true. It's a very wrong opinion that would be dumb even if it were correct. Congratulations, that's impressive

I'm glad you have the ability to choose to be pleased with how dumb you are. God truly gives his toughest battles to his toughest children

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Soda is loving great, you can keep your cigarettes and alcohol, just give me a nice apple tango when i'm freeling cranky and it'll set me straight

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Soda is loving great, you can keep your cigarettes and alcohol, just give me a nice apple tango when i'm freeling cranky and it'll set me straight

There are no downsides and multiple upsides to drinking diet coke instead of water.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I want to take Irregardless' posts in the most favorable light as being a condescending way of saying "practice mindfulness".

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Irregardless posted:

“you have the ability to make meaningful changes in your life”

And clean your room bucko.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It is smart to be aware of relative advantages and disadvantages different groups of people have in society to be able to more correctly identify cause, effect, consequences, actions, etc.

But on the other hand dwelling and obsessing over how you and/or others are victims of society, as goons are wont to do, is not really productive and doesn't really improve your life. If anything it makes your life worse, and can cause you to develop a persecution complex.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mad Max is an incredibly boring film. Amazing that the rest of the series even got made.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel the issue is you are using very universal language for advise that is very specific. And you are opting to double down that your advice is, contrary to what everyone is telling you, is actually incredibly applicable to everyone universally when actually it's harmful and victim blaming and dangerous rhetoric for most people to take on.

You vastly overestimate how much people, overall, have control over their circumstances and how those circumstances dictate their mental dispositions.

You seem to be implying people can have better experiences of life and better circumstances if they only alter their thoughts and actions stemming from those thoughts. This is a prevelent neolib meme which is used to justify and empower punching down and lovely oppressive material conditions.

It comes across like this advise is informed by your own life circumstances which people are reasonably inferring are pretty good. So it goes without saying it follows your advice comes across as condosending, parental, arrogant and ill-informed.

Like advise from an 18 year old dude who likes to explain Jordan Peterson to girls at parties and why it isn't actually just world fallacy it's just just world.

It's like saying, if you want to lose weight you can just choose to. If you want to quit opiates you can just quit it's easy just stop opiates why are all these people homeless surely it's not material conditions it's absolutely their decision and fault dumb poors

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its actually the best in the series, including fury road, but but the sound mixing is god awful

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Warhammer 40,000 is by far the best of the big western sci-fi franchises

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Internal vs external loci of control is a great predictor of success, if you control for things like class and mental health.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

2nd Amendment posted:

Internal vs external loci of control is a great predictor of success, if you control for things like class and mental health.

This is the worst post in this whole thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Gripweed posted:

Warhammer 40,000 is by far the best of the big western sci-fi franchises

gently caress yeah, the gaunts ghosts series is good poo poo, and holds up against fanfic sci fi (by which I mean like star wars books etc written by real authors) but also regular sci fi too