Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those steps in front of the captain’s chair were also new right

That seems like a bad idea in terms of filming, they look easy to trip over

Orville should do the Family Guy "groaning for five minutes after falling down the stairs" bit with Mercer.

Send him headlong down the unexpected Captain's Stoop after a refit, everyone awkwardly tries to get him to go to sickbay and he's gasping on the floor like "I'm ok, just GASP just had thewindknockedoutta COUGH"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arivia posted:

since it was announced as part of "star trek day" i wonder if the new nick meyer ceti alpha audioplays are gonna be canon

It was a bit of a slap to Meyer to take it from a filmed miniseries to audio, but he seems excited to expand it. It can be longer and won't have the budget constraints. It makes casting a cinch too, easier to get soundalike actors.

It makes me wonder if someone at Paramount didn't find out about the hundreds of Doctor Who audios with original cast members that Big Finish does and say "why aren't we doing that?" If this is a test run for Star Trek audios covering all the time periods and series and can feature original actors then huzzah.

Captain Sulu and Worf series, anyone? I'm down. And if well done, I would pay for them like I do Big Finish.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Banana Canada posted:

Why didn't Starfleet station Betazoids at every asset or location of high value to act as Founder-detectors?

Too busy lying around naked with their sacred urns and holy gongs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So are the Trill Federation members or are they just a species that occasionally joins Starfleet?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

So are the Trill Federation members or are they just a species that occasionally joins Starfleet?
I don't think it was ever explicitly said that they are in the Federation, although I believe it's implied by Discovery Season 3.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know these Starfleet types really need to start securing their cargo. Just stacking drums on top of each other is not working out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

You know these Starfleet types really need to start securing their cargo. Just stacking drums on top of each other is not working out.

It's okay, they're all empty.

Except for this one blue drum up there...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pretty great how the Federation can cure addiction with some flashing lights. That would have come in real handy for a few other episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Banana Canada posted:

Why didn't Starfleet station Betazoids at every asset or location of high value to act as Founder-detectors?

What's Troi's success rate on shapeshifting aliens?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well her mom married one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man Picard and Data were not adequately prepared for this deep cover assignment in Space Moscow.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretty great how the Federation can cure addiction with some flashing lights. That would have come in real handy for a few other episodes.

The flashing light success rate is...mixed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I've finished Star Trek TNG and I guess I'm moving on to Voyager. Honestly the more I watch it the more I actually kind of like Voyager. I dunno I don't mind it at least.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Voyager's biggest problem wasn't that it was actively bad it was just 7 seasons of mostly 6 out of 10 bland episodes written by a writers room that had literally come off of doing the exact same kind of show for 7 seasons.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Actual Satan posted:

A drive that can explore new reaches of the galaxy is a great concept. But I don't think discovery has used it for that even once on purpose.

I kind of hate this poo poo as a concept because the writers actually need to justify why "new reaches of the galaxy" matters. It's the same problem Voyager had where over there is the same as over here but with different foreheads, so what's the point?

imo DS9 had the only really fresh take on exploration across the whole franchise by making the gamma quad this inherently risky place where you couldn't spend much time and you always had to come running back to your home base afterward, but even then they didn't really make use of the concept as much as they could have

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Voyager's biggest problem wasn't that it was actively bad it was just 7 seasons of mostly 6 out of 10 bland episodes written by a writers room that had literally come off of doing the exact same kind of show for 7 seasons.

Yeah, a show that could have easily been DS9 2.0 under the right leadership was mandated to be TNG 2.0 instead and largely just kind of coasted for much of it's run, punctuated by some utterly amazing episodes here and there like Distant Origin, Timeless, Year of Hell, Equinox, and Dark Frontier.

Hollismason posted:

Well I've finished Star Trek TNG and I guess I'm moving on to Voyager. Honestly the more I watch it the more I actually kind of like Voyager. I dunno I don't mind it at least.

This is sort of been a recurring trend in the streaming era. People who watched Voyager when it was running on UPN have this lingering bagaboo about it, but folks who've come late to it on streaming services have a more open and positive outlook on it. Same with Enterprise. It's kind of why I contend that in 20 years, people are going to come to appreciate Discovery and Picard, because by then the heat around them will have died down like it did for Enterprise and Voyager and they'll no longer be "the worst Trek ever", they'll just be "Star Trek".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

See I've been doing a slow rewatch of Voyager trying to find the few diamonds amidst the rough and I'm still just finding it intolerably bland and pointless for the most part. It is just a very bad show written on autopilot by a room of burnt out hacks, Robert Beltran tried to get released from his contract for a reason!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, a show that could have easily been DS9 2.0 under the right leadership was mandated to be TNG 2.0 instead and largely just kind of coasted for much of it's run, punctuated by some utterly amazing episodes here and there like Distant Origin, Timeless, Year of Hell, Equinox, and Dark Frontier.

This is sort of been a recurring trend in the streaming era. People who watched Voyager when it was running on UPN have this lingering bagaboo about it, but folks who've come late to it on streaming services have a more open and positive outlook on it. Same with Enterprise. It's kind of why I contend that in 20 years, people are going to come to appreciate Discovery and Picard, because by then the heat around them will have died down like it did for Enterprise and Voyager and they'll no longer be "the worst Trek ever", they'll just be "Star Trek".

Voyager made a young me realize it was ok to not like things just because you liked a similar thing and I will never like it, or any of this new stuff. Well, snw is ok.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of hate this poo poo as a concept because the writers actually need to justify why "new reaches of the galaxy" matters. It's the same problem Voyager had where over there is the same as over here but with different foreheads, so what's the point?

imo DS9 had the only really fresh take on exploration across the whole franchise by making the gamma quad this inherently risky place where you couldn't spend much time and you always had to come running back to your home base afterward, but even then they didn't really make use of the concept as much as they could have

Yeah Voyager might have been better served if the ship was stranded in the Gamma Quadrant instead so it could spend maybe what, three seasons dodging Jem Hadar pursuit, and have the latter three or four seasons be renewed exploration and diplomatic contact with species that are now free of Dominion control.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I feel like we're getting to the heart of the matter of why Voyager got so much guff at the time, which is that it wasn't DS9

I mean Voyager's had deserved reputation renaissance to be sure. But man the first couple seasons have some real issues that wear on a soul.

Like every time they needed to pad out an episode they pulled out the 'Neelix is a jealous controlling gently caress' subplot which just drags the whole thing down.

And the Kazon were just lame antagonists. The source of conflict is legitimate, I can see how they thought it would work on paper, but in practice it was just boooriiinngg. Even in Season 2 they had moved to mostly 'Voyager vs Seska' rather than Kazon per se cuz the Kazon sucked.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 13, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Voyager was doomed to its fate no matter what quadrant it was set in, the issue was with the writers room not the premise. We could just have easily had a load of hacky go-nowhere stories about the Tosk guys and those chainmail aliens Quark trades with as we did about the Kazon and Borg, it just never should have been led by the old TNG team burnt out on TNG stories and writing more TNG by other means.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No Dignity posted:

I think Voyager was doomed to its fate no matter what quadrant it was set in, the issue was with the writers room not the premise. We could just have easily had a load of hacky go-nowhere stories about the Tosk guys and those chainmail aliens Quark trades with as we did about the Kazon and Borg, it just never should have been led by the old TNG team burnt out on TNG stories and writing more TNG by other means.

A lot of the issue was with the executive demands as well as the hosed up writers room, on occasion the writers would have a vague idea of doing something interesting and did want to have a bit more continuity, but the studio mandated everything be totally episodic, and that was the thing that wasted the premise of Voyager more than anything. Also 'we want all the actors to be boring and flat'.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The nicest thing I'll say about Voyager is that it served a vital function in keeping the dread gaze of Rick Berman away from DS9

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Voyager was hyped to no end before release. Articles talking up how different it would be in every relevant publication. The second episode was an anomaly of the week with the ship they supposedly couldn't see being a visible reflection of voyager even on my 12" crt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah don't forget Voyager was one of the two main things propping up UPN so there was a ridiculous amount of extra studio pressure and interference. DS9 was happy in syndication.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just finished my latest watch through of DS9. What a finale. Very bittersweet.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

V-Men posted:

Yeah Voyager might have been better served if the ship was stranded in the Gamma Quadrant instead so it could spend maybe what, three seasons dodging Jem Hadar pursuit, and have the latter three or four seasons be renewed exploration and diplomatic contact with species that are now free of Dominion control.

I don't really have a problem with the Delta Quadrant itself, I just wish Star Trek writers could actually do interesting things with the concept of being really far away. If you're going to make your ~*~distant quadrant~*~ a find and replace with different foreheads, then maybe just don't bother. There's nothing wrong with setting an exploration show out on the edge of federation space or whatever and doing the TNG thing while focusing on actually telling good stories.

Voyager did initially seem like they were going to do something a little different by setting the Delta Quadrant up to be more backward and low-tech compared to the Alpha Quadrant, but they abandoned that almost immediately because following the TNG formula doesn't allow your hero ship to outmatch everyone it encounters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember someone said the Delta Quadrant should have been like a haunted house, and that’s stuck with me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I always liked the idea of the Delta Quadrant being a place that's been profoundly affected by the presence of the Borg, but the only way that avoids the shittiness of late series Voyager is if the writers have the restraint never actually to show the Borg or do storylines directly about them. Just keeping it as a thematic thing where the civilizations of the Delta Quadrant are all poor and technologically backward because it's essentially a post-apocalyptic place.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I thought they could have done stuff with the way that Borg just ignore things that aren't a threat or resource. So Voyager could've been seen Borg all the time but it was just 'keep your head down and hope they don't care about us or happen to need a starship's worth of components for something' and the quadrant is littered with worlds doing the same, staying low and occasionally some just get chewed up because the Borg need raw material, and in the meantime there are refugee ships and the remnants of assimilated peoples that weren't worth chasing down, lurking in the dark and hoping to survive.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I always liked the idea of the Delta Quadrant being a place that's been profoundly affected by the presence of the Borg, but the only way that avoids the shittiness of late series Voyager is if the writers have the restraint never actually to show the Borg or do storylines directly about them. Just keeping it as a thematic thing where the civilizations of the Delta Quadrant are all poor and technologically backward because it's essentially a post-apocalyptic place.

MikeJF posted:

I thought they could have done stuff with the way that Borg just ignore things that aren't a threat or resource. So Voyager could've been seen Borg all the time but it was just 'keep your head down and hope they don't care about us or happen to need a starship's worth of components for something' and the quadrant is littered with worlds doing the same, staying low and occasionally some just get chewed up because the Borg need raw material, and in the meantime there are refugee ships and the remnants of assimilated peoples that weren't worth chasing down, lurking in the dark and hoping to survive.

Yeah, I was about to say basically the same as these. Voyager was going to be the Borg show anyway, they should have leaned into it harder. Have the threat of the Kazon be them trying to use leftover tech from the civilizations the Borg actually cared about. Have haphazard alliances who try to get more resources from Voyager than they can afford to give. Have haphazard alliances who try to fight Voyager off because they're worried about attracting Borg attention. Just have the Borg matter more when they're not on screen, and not in a "Seven Borgly knowing things and acting Borgly about them" way. Far more of the people Voyager ran into should have been defined by how they have interacted or have avoided interacting with the Borg.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

It's kind of why I contend that in 20 years, people are going to come to appreciate Discovery and Picard, because by then the heat around them will have died down like it did for Enterprise and Voyager and they'll no longer be "the worst Trek ever", they'll just be "Star Trek".

Lmao, no one is going to give a gently caress about those shows in 20 years besides YouTube essayists and whoever's running trekcore.com. I can see SNW building a lasting audience because it's more accessible to newer fans than something whose main appeal is nostalgia bait or... whatever Discovery is doing

Alternatively, fandoms by that point will consist of enclaves of rich kids with demented worldviews (moreso I guess) and awful tastes while everyone else cosplays Mad Max 1

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Lmao, no one is going to give a gently caress about those shows in 20 years besides YouTube essayists and whoever's running trekcore.com. I can see SNW building a lasting audience because it's more accessible to newer fans than something whose main appeal is nostalgia bait or... whatever Discovery is doing

Alternatively, fandoms by that point will consist of enclaves of rich kids with demented worldviews (moreso I guess) and awful tastes while everyone else cosplays Mad Max 1

Yeah but now tons of people love the Star Wars prequels. I guess it's going to depend on how good the Discovery Memes are in 2040

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah but now tons of people love the Star Wars prequels. I guess it's going to depend on how good the Discovery Memes are in 2040

I don't think they're comparable, how many kids are "growing up" with Discovery and Picard? I also like lovely or disappointing things from my youth but wouldn't count on that nostalgia being there.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Battlestar Galactica kinda made good on the Voyager premise of a stranded ship under long-term threat. For a season or so anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but BSG was literally created and written in direct response to Voyager's failings.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I could be wrong, but wasn't Voyager made and pitched as a return to TNG more episodic, ship exploring new worlds and dealing with crises after people were unhappy with DS9's more themed and recurring story lines?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Prequels actually have redeeming qualities too, and the memes it spawned were from deliberately funny (or at least campy) dialogue. I dare you to say there was anything redeeming in Picard

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but BSG was literally created and written in direct response to Voyager's failings.

So what you're saying is that if Voyager made better use of the premise then Tom Paris would have become an angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No Dignity posted:

See I've been doing a slow rewatch of Voyager trying to find the few diamonds amidst the rough and I'm still just finding it intolerably bland and pointless for the most part. It is just a very bad show written on autopilot by a room of burnt out hacks, Robert Beltran tried to get released from his contract for a reason!

I tapped out of a rewatch in season 2 and skipped ahead to 4. It's much better with Seven there, the writing team seems to up their game somewhat.

The_Doctor posted:

I remember someone said the Delta Quadrant should have been like a haunted house, and that’s stuck with me.

Sometimes it seemed vaguely post-apocalyptic which is something they should've really leaned into. Everyone left in the Delta Quadrant are people who either escaped or were beneath the notice of the Borg as they scoured their way through.