Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They said the stories will intertwine, so it looks like it'll be addressing my main problem with the first game.

If they're doing what I suspect/hope they're doing (just having the stories overlap so you'll get some events repeating from different perspectives), that should quash a lot of the problems the original had because it won't have to contend with trying to deal with every possible permutation of "do I have Party member X AND Y out of eight for conversation scene?). Now they just need to give the inactive party members full XP and it'll be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Morpheus posted:

This is a nice tune but I'll be honest if you had me listen to the first 30 seconds without context I'd think I was listening to a Mii Sports title theme.

I don't see the problem here???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the symphonia port isn't really a remaster it's just them making a switch port of the pc port of the ps3 port of the ps2 port of the gamecube original

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I would gladly harvest cabbage to the Wii Sports opening theme :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically the only reason symphonia keeps getting "remasters" is cause every port is so incredibly low effort they're effectively just slapping it down on modern systems hoping for a quick buck based on its western popularity and porting anything else seems like it would take too much money and effort

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'm just here for the Front Mission remasters

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cheap Trick posted:

I'm just here for the Front Mission remasters

Glad we finally got a date, and I'm shocked that they're adding FM3 to that list, I played the hell out of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wake me up when they do Front Mission Alternative

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope they don’t have a tentative release date for FM3 because they’re making the internet 8 times bigger.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

Wake me up when they do Front Mission Alternative

its time to critically reevaluate Front Mission Evolved

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Story, Your Way ‒ With the option to play as a male, female, or non-binary protagonist, as well as all eligible marriage candidates available for romance regardless of that choice, players can truly be who they want.

Thank you Wonderful Life remake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1569718301030514689?s=20&t=wWpEkTlt8h9MDnYe8z7w4A

could someone tell Square Enix that they might be releasing too many games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also that is anj amazing premise for a game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

uh... actually its going to lead to mostly games where you are a lesbian elf...

God willing.

And because I have an undeserved snobbery about graphics, I will only now play Crisis Core.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1569721502546657281

Also because I take the weirdest things out of trailers, I'm surprised to see a Fire Emblem character with two-toned hair. Heterochromia seems more common than that for that series, as far as I've seen.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1569689174109995008

Also, what was the deal with Three Houses? Was that just new engine growing pains or did the crew get kidnapped for another project like Xeno 2's did? Because this looks better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Maltose posted:

I hope they don’t have a tentative release date for FM3 because they’re making the internet 8 times bigger.

I'm honestly just happy they announced that they're doing it at all. I have a bad history of game series I love getting remakes and remasters and then they stop doing them before they get to the entries I like the most.

If they eventually got to an FM4 remake I might pass out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its time to critically reevaluate Front Mission Evolved

No, I don-- wait was Evolved the bad team shooter or the bad one with Metal Gear Solid comic book art?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1569718301030514689?s=20&t=wWpEkTlt8h9MDnYe8z7w4A

could someone tell Square Enix that they might be releasing too many games

quote:

While the game has many character slots teased, it will only launch with the following four characters. The remaining characters (and elements) will have to be unlocked with paid DLC.

Hm.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ImpAtom posted:

Your Story, Your Way ‒ With the option to play as a male, female, or non-binary protagonist, as well as all eligible marriage candidates available for romance regardless of that choice, players can truly be who they want.

Now you can die of old age regardless of your gender

Wonderful Life was the first HM game I played, and I've still got a soft spot for it. I wonder if they'll try to replicate the connectivity with Mineral Town.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they're doing what I suspect/hope they're doing (just having the stories overlap so you'll get some events repeating from different perspectives), that should quash a lot of the problems the original had because it won't have to contend with trying to deal with every possible permutation of "do I have Party member X AND Y out of eight for conversation scene?). Now they just need to give the inactive party members full XP and it'll be perfect.

Octopath’s main issue, imho, was the extremely formulaic structure, not the lack of character interaction. Those were some lame rear end dungeons. I’ll grant character interaction was a flaw too, but I think if it’d had an actual job system instead of what we got, and if the structure had been a bit more open similar to what Crystal Project did, it would have been a slam dunk game.

Put job systems in everything is what I’m saying.

Pumped as gently caress for an FM3 remaster. Jesus Square’s knocking it out of the park these days. I wish more developers had that kind of reverence for their back catalogues.

Someone was asking about Voice of Cards upthread, and I’m a shameless fan of that series shortcomings aside. They’re good games that are exceedingly charming, and they lean hard into their gimmick, which, if you’re in the right mindset and willing to let the experience kinda wash over you it’s a little magical.

No, they’re not hard games, but you can’t totally tune out either, so there’s just the right amount of friction there to keep it interesting.

Looks like the new one has a prominent blue mage style mechanic, which is good, because the skill selection and lack of build variety in the other couple games were my biggest complaints.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I liked voice of cards just for being a kind of low key adventure with enough storytelling chops to keep me engaged

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kind of amusing that the new FE appears to be FEH but (hopefully) not gacha???

RareAcumen posted:

Also because I take the weirdest things out of trailers, I'm surprised to see a Fire Emblem character with two-toned hair. Heterochromia seems more common than that for that series, as far as I've seen.

the fandom appears to be calling them "crest-chan" and "colgate-kun"
pepsi von colgate, toothpaste-chan, and so forth

quote:

Also, what was the deal with Three Houses? Was that just new engine growing pains or did the crew get kidnapped for another project like Xeno 2's did? Because this looks better.

Scuttlebutt from the Fire Emblem subreddit is that they just stopped using that engine

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I would have been fine with the clearly increased run speed, but this is pretty nice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fire emblem's just kind of bouncing around different koei studios right now. three houses was kind of the last possible team you'd expect to make a fire emblem game, most of its staff worked on like, ds fashion games. and the new one is being made by gust

RareAcumen posted:

And because I have an undeserved snobbery about graphics, I will only now play Crisis Core.

dont worry, your snobbery is also saving you from how tedious the combat in the original was. cc's a fun story but the actual game part of the original has a lot of issues, it has actually i'd say been pretty overdue for a good remake

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

this game is, according to rumors, made by the gust b-team, whod have experience with things like blue reflection 2 and atelier nelke.

three houses was made by a group of devs at koei tecmo with credits like 'one piece warriors 2: instruction manual' and 'dynasty warriors tactics: debugging.' they got the literal z team to make three houses. its a miracle it turned out as well as it did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's good that the Octopath Traveler II main characters' initials spell out OCTOPATH again, it's a good gimmick and I like it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Kanos posted:

I'm honestly just happy they announced that they're doing it at all. I have a bad history of game series I love getting remakes and remasters and then they stop doing them before they get to the entries I like the most.

If they eventually got to an FM4 remake I might pass out.

Go one further, bring FM5 to the states for the first time.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

No, I don-- wait was Evolved the bad team shooter or the bad one with Metal Gear Solid comic book art?

Evolved was the action-shooter.

Left Alive was the terrible one that was more of a bad metal gear than anything.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Barudak posted:

or the bad one with Metal Gear Solid comic book art?

Left Alive?

efb

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Literally just add a x3 speed button to front mission 4

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Harrow posted:

If Octopath 2 has the characters actually interacting during the main story, that's pretty much all I ask for as far as improvements go

I'd prefer if they'd do away with random battles, myself. Or make battles quicker.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

On the one hand I did have a lot of problems with Octopath 1. On the other hand this game has a cowboy who's trying to eliminate poverty, so I'm probably gonna get it regardless

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want a Front Mission Gun Hazard rerelease. I played an absurd amount of the fan translation.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
FM3 is one of my favorite games of all time, hopefully the remake owns and they make the in game Internet UI less clunky

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath room for improvement:
  • An actual plot with interplay between the main characters.
  • Player control or removal of random-encounter mechanic.
  • More balanced support-skills.
  • Less mandatory field-skills like Therion's lockpick.
  • EXP share for unused party members.
  • A bonus dungeon with checkpoints.
  • A proper in-game bestiary and checklist if you're going to tie achievements to those metrics.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how many lesbian elf games were discuss at this direct

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fire Emblem N-Gage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

All of them

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Snooze Cruise posted:

depends: are you also into farming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I stopped playing Octopath because I couldn't stop gambling with Bewildering Dance.