Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The real answer is give melee (the role most likely to eat it if a tank dies) better survivability tools. Let Samurai Third Eye be a bigger percent damage reduction than 10% etc.

If the goal is to make scenarios where a tank drops survivable by skilled players.

Would be nice but also kinda risky. You'd have to give them to everyone and they'd probably all just get used to skip mechanics instead of surprise tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Vermain posted:

Re: Island Sanctuary, it looks like the spreadsheet updated to recommend the Butter -> Relish -> Jam cycle, so I think it's best to go with that if you were a Sauerkraut holdout previously.

Yeah, the "premier" craft (jam, corn flakes) you're getting 12h of efficient crafting and the same cowries per hour, but tomato is worth double that of sauerkraut and even butter is 70% more. Really doubt you're going to make up 750 cowries by being 3 groove higher over the course of the week. It's actually a crazy day that doesn't involve a granary mat or a 120+ base mat, AND it's giving us an extra 3 groove over a standard 4 craft day.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Failboattootoot posted:

Would be nice but also kinda risky. You'd have to give them to everyone and they'd probably all just get used to skip mechanics instead of surprise tanking.

Give it only to Samurai, and it's only for themselves, because they're "selfish melee" dps so they get selfish defensive cooldowns. Obviously.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

weirdly in FFXI, sneak attack was the rear positional, while trick attack requires you to be behind a party member iirc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just wondering: if I dismiss and immediately rehire a gardener mammet so I can change the seed they’re set to plant, will that destroy whatever crop is currently growing?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cheetah7071 posted:

this is a graph of damage in P7S, a high uptime fight https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statistics/49/#boss=85. Lower uptime fights shake it up a bit but mch isn't in a good place meta-wise. I haven't seen anyone complaining that it's unfun to play, just that it needs some more potency

Wildfire and Hypercharge suck absolute rear end on anything other than incredibly low ping and they need to be changed to a charge system, but yeah, the primary issue right now is that the DPS is too low for a so-called "selfish" DPS.

Edit: Like, if I could wiggle my nose Bewitched-style and invoke immediate changes to MCH, I'd make Wildfire a 30-second debuff that auto-detonates after six Weaponskills and make Hypercharge similar to Inner Release (grants 5 stacks of Hypercharged, allowing the activation of Heat Blast or Auto Crossbow, lasts 20 seconds or something).

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 14, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Wildfire and Hypercharge suck absolute rear end on anything other than incredibly low ping and they need to be changed to a charge system, but yeah, the primary issue right now is that the DPS is too low for a so-called "selfish" DPS.

Edit: Like, if I could wiggle my nose Bewitched-style and invoke immediate changes to MCH, I'd make Wildfire a 30-second debuff that auto-detonates after six Weaponskills and make Hypercharge similar to Inner Release (grants 5 stacks of Hypercharged, allowing the activation of Heat Blast or Auto Crossbow, lasts 20 seconds or something).

Yeah, with so many other things changed to that, I have no idea why Wildfire wasn't.

... Also I'd like it if Flamethrower felt more meaningful.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, with so many other things changed to that, I have no idea why Wildfire wasn't.

... Also I'd like it if Flamethrower felt more meaningful.

Make it an AoE DoT you can place down like the drone skill in PVP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
flamethrower being bad makes it funnier to go for the forbidden optimization

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

This is probably why BLM and NIN personal defensives got changed from nullifying/evading physical moves into %HP shields instead.

For those that don't know BLM used to have Manawall and Manaward, where Manawall used to straight up block 2 instances of physical damage and had a massive duration of 60 seconds (likely intended for Titan Landslides). Similarly, Shade Shift on NIN used to be Perfect Dodge which let the NIN just dodge the next physical attack. Manawall got changed to a %HP physical damage shield in HW, and then got collapsed into Manaward for both magical/physical eventually. Perfect Dodge got turned into Shade Shift in HW as well with the same functionality as it is now.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Gnossiennes posted:

weirdly in FFXI, sneak attack was the rear positional, while trick attack requires you to be behind a party member iirc.

Back to the original point (DPS enmity control), this is how Trick Attack works in FFXI - if you're behind another player, your next hit does extra damage and any enmity you generate from that damage spike is assigned to that player in front of you.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Hyper Inferno posted:

This is probably why BLM and NIN personal defensives got changed from nullifying/evading physical moves into %HP shields instead.

For those that don't know BLM used to have Manawall and Manaward, where Manawall used to straight up block 2 instances of physical damage and had a massive duration of 60 seconds (likely intended for Titan Landslides). Similarly, Shade Shift on NIN used to be Perfect Dodge which let the NIN just dodge the next physical attack. Manawall got changed to a %HP physical damage shield in HW, and then got collapsed into Manaward for both magical/physical eventually. Perfect Dodge got turned into Shade Shift in HW as well with the same functionality as it is now.

I will always miss standing in Landslides or not moving for Twintania divebombs as a BLM while my raid group freaks out thinking I'm a goner.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kongming posted:

I will always miss standing in Landslides or not moving for Twintania divebombs as a BLM while my raid group freaks out thinking I'm a goner.

Can't you still do that with Surecast?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
no because theres multiple ways attacks can inflict things like knockback on you. those attacks cant be 'knockback mitigated" with surecast et al but they also use(d) older tech of "apply on damage" so if you take 0 damage from the hit you dont get moved. this is in fact why they moved away from stuff like that because it meant hallowed ground/a particularly juicy adlo let you just ignore mechanics entirely lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are a lot more 'apply on damage' effects than you might expect. A bug that plagued P2S happened because people were so shielded that they wouldn't take damage from a mechanic, and this counted as doing it wrong so everyone got damage downs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/redditFFXIV/status/1569792151445291008?t=2pTJ-ovPZvWsrVViNc-8UQ&s=19

????

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
theyre still existent but 1) theyre basically never aimed at tanks anymore because of hallowed ground 2) non-tanks have lost basically every way to avoid them except shield healer shields (and even those have gotten relatively weaker over time given the loss of straight healing steroids and most healing received buffs). and you dont see them for knockbacks anymore either generally.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

always examine right click menus

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

even on an intuitive level, having an option to automatically set the best workshop cycle would, i think, somewhat defeat the purpose of creating a complicated system of popularity and supply

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Vermain posted:

defeat the purpose of creating a complicated system of popularity and supply

That is my goal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vermain posted:

even on an intuitive level, having an option to automatically set the best workshop cycle would, i think, somewhat defeat the purpose of creating a complicated system of popularity and supply

The purpose the island is to chill so it'd be very funny if they went "Oh here's a big complex market.....and here's the button to ignore it and relax"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
All that button does is open the supply and demand screen and let you fill your agenda slots from there, it does not provide any automated decision making. Like just about everything related to workshops, it is poorly worded.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's time in our savage prog to suffer through reclears. I want it known that Devour loving sucks and it will continue to suck until the tier is finished.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Now that I’m post shadowbringers, part of me wants to do all the content I’ve heard can lead to optional scenes/dialogue in endwalker. Another, probably more sensible part of me says that’s crazy and will take forever.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
In my experience, PF Devour prog groups are pool prog groups in reality. I've only been in two groups so far where everyone managed to get some sort of shared standard down and consistently stop making mistakes within the first few pulls.

And before anyone brings up the obvious commonality there, I do pools perfectly 90% of the time on account of playing melee, who have the easiest time of them. I make all my mistakes on Double Rush instead :colbert:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Roach Warehouse posted:

Now that I’m post shadowbringers, part of me wants to do all the content I’ve heard can lead to optional scenes/dialogue in endwalker. Another, probably more sensible part of me says that’s crazy and will take forever.

It wouldn’t be too bad and most of the content is very good. Definitely worth doing omega if you don’t want to do everything

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 14, 2022

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Wrestlepig posted:

It wouldn’t be too bad and most of the content is very good. Definitely worth doing omega if you don’t want to do everything

Omega should be required content at this point. Pretty much everything else fits more into the "And x was also there!" category for Endwalker. Very nice and feelgood as a finale, but the MSQ itself brings in enough people that it shouldn't feel too bare if you just do Omega at least.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

HPanda posted:

Omega should be required content at this point. Pretty much everything else fits more into the "And x was also there!" category for Endwalker. Very nice and feelgood as a finale, but the MSQ itself brings in enough people that it shouldn't feel too bare if you just do Omega at least.

Definitely true, as much as I’d encourage everyone to do all the raids/trial series as you go through the game. And level alt classes. Ultimately do what I tell you so I can experience things vicariously

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I haven't played in a while. Feeling the itch to do some leveling.

What activities do I focus on if I have a limited time to play but want to get some levels under my belt?
I'm guessing, prioritised: Tribes > leveling roulette > alliance roulette?
Does main story roulette still exist after the changes to those dungeons, and is it worth doing in terms of rewards?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
MSQ roulette still exists and puts out the same amount of EXP it did before for slightly shorter runs, so it's worthwhile.

Depending on your level bracket, I'd also recommend doing Hunts. If you're level 80, doing all of the assigned Endwalker targets for the day is worth 50% of a level. That amount will decrease as you get closer to 90, down to about 33% of a level at level 89. Lower level brackets aren't quite as rewarding, but they're maybe still worth it depending on whether you have the uninterrupted time to run a non-roulette dungeon or not. The previous expansions' Hunts (except ARR, which gives none) start at 33% of a level at X0 and go down to about 23% at X9.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bloody Emissary posted:

In my experience, PF Devour prog groups are pool prog groups in reality. I've only been in two groups so far where everyone managed to get some sort of shared standard down and consistently stop making mistakes within the first few pulls.

And before anyone brings up the obvious commonality there, I do pools perfectly 90% of the time on account of playing melee, who have the easiest time of them. I make all my mistakes on Double Rush instead :colbert:

Every PF group is 2-3 mechanics from what they announce. I'd be tempted to join Ruby 6 prog groups but I still haven't got the hang of Devour, it's actually a bitchy mechanic for once.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New stuff coming to the cash shop in about an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA1JTq2u78c

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Part of the PF problem is people underestimating how good everyone has to be at mechanics where a single mistake can wipe the party.

Like if someone can do Devour 75% of the time they'll happpily join a post-devour party, but if everyone in the party performs at that level there's only a 10% chance of getting past Devour.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, and to drive the point home even if everyone can execute a mechanic 90% of the time then any given pull you've got worse odds of getting thru unscathed than a coin flip

(i think that's right, been a while since i learned all that probability poo poo)

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 14, 2022

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I swear I wasn't up for island update on purpose, son wet the bed.

Anyway my money is on Knife Scythe Silver Ear Cuffs Scythe and worth crafting today instead of resting.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Onean posted:

New stuff coming to the cash shop in about an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA1JTq2u78c

noo its cash shop

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chillgamesh posted:

noo its cash shop

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

fyi the cat hood set comes with both types of leg gear instead of one that adapts to your character's gender

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, I just paid thirty goddamn dollars for that new glam and new emote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Arist posted:

:yeshaha:, I just paid thirty goddamn dollars for that new glam and new emote