Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've been thinking of starting to brew my own since Christmas is gonna suck if it starts costing like £20 for 4 beers or something, and I could gift people beer. Cavemen figured it out, why not me (they did a lot of things I couldn't figure out, I'm gonna gently caress this up)

Nah brewing beer is easy. Get yourself a premade extract kit or just put the ingredients together yourself from a recipe, get a big pot to brew in and a fermentation bucket, follow the instructions and you'll almost guaranteed end up with something drinkable and alcoholic. If you get into trouble ask in the Home Brewing Thread. You can end up with some pretty decent results from your very first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
It's been hard enough to get tonic water for months already, this is a catastrophe

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Microplastics posted:

For the longest time I, for some reason, assumed that center Parcs resorts (and butlins and all the others) were inside gigantic domes. I have no idea where that perception came from but it lasted into my 20s and even today my brain still goes to imagining domes whenever these resorts are mentioned
some of them do have domes (i think mostly for their waterparks?) that they used to feature prominently in their old TV ads, that's probably where you got it from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cllEP3O3fEk

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

big scary monsters posted:

Nah brewing beer is easy. Get yourself a premade extract kit or just put the ingredients together yourself from a recipe, get a big pot to brew in and a fermentation bucket, follow the instructions and you'll almost guaranteed end up with something drinkable and alcoholic. If you get into trouble ask in the Home Brewing Thread. You can end up with some pretty decent results from your very first try.

Thanks, bookmarked it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If only there was a way to limit entrance to an event other than having everyone who wants to do it stand in one big line. Oh well we'll never know.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/DrFrancisYoung/status/1569989633152372737?t=qXM5SRx6ZR3n6L3ZswwxuA&s=19

Happy DND to all who celebrate

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Deep constitutional questions arise

Constitutional Scholar Richard D James weighs in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5C1oLgjHw

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/irish_news/status/1569940118345064449

tbh I was surprised that I was surprised that there's a significant Anglican presence in the Republic of Ireland

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1570067869664440320

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OzyMandrill posted:

Because - one of the early center parks had the main swimming pool and shop area under a giant dome/glass roof, back when that was rare and unusual. I forget if it was France or here, but they used that one domed area in all the publicity shots to give the idea they were all like that. I think it was part of their logo for a while.
I vaguely remember friends at school complaining that it was nothing like the adverts in the UK.

No, one of the early UK ones definitely was. I think there were two initially and one was like that but the other wasn't? We definitely had a family weekend in the glassed-in one, can't remember where it was though.

Edit: it would have been cooler if the entire site was under a huge dome but I guess then it would just be Stephen King's Under The Dome

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 14, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This is a good one https://twitter.com/christhemarxist/status/1569971011537313792?s=46&t=tTtbBVE3cd5tbRyaKHlxgA

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Centre Parks isn't under one big dome what the gently caress. My life is a lie.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

Putin will end up not only converting Europe to green energy but also entire nations into CAMRA neckbeards
Don't say that, the CAMRAbeards I deal with are annoying enough as it is

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

No, one of the early UK ones definitely was. I think there were two initially and one was like that but the other wasn't? We definitely had a family weekend in the glassed-in one, can't remember where it was though.

Edit: it would have been cooler if the entire site was under a huge dome but I guess then it would just be Stephen King's Under The Dome

Centre Parcs Longleat

Fun as a kid, now you look at the prices for a lodge and it's extortionate. Place is starting to show its age aswell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
While my wife and my child
Lay in a camp in Longleat
The piss of the Khakis will flow
Down the gutters of Abingdon Street

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1570003766794928128

e: https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1569415679253544960

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I do not get this peasant mindset.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

StarkingBarfish posted:

In a similar vein BOC just got in touch with us that due to the CF Ammonia plant in Billingham shutting due to gas prices, CO2 is getting a surcharge of GBP1540/tonne. Expect fertiliser, fizzy drinks, and loads of other stuff to become phenomenally more expensive over the coming months.

So happy Northern Ireland will probably get it's CO2 from the EU again.... if only i drank beer & fizzy drinks. :rolleyes:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Possibly remembering the Summerland Fire? Summerland was inside a giant dome, yup yup. Emphasis on "was".

No I've not heard of

quote:

The building's exterior and the interior were designed by two different architects—they did not coordinate

oh gently caress

quote:

This part of the building was clad in a material called Galbestos: profiled steel sheeting with asbestos felt on both sides coated with bitumen,[5][8] with no fire-resistant qualities.

OH gently caress

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is a ridiculous comparisons, peasants were never as brainwashed as these people.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I literally cannot think of any person or group of people, dead or alive, that I would queue 30 hours to see.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Official government queue tracker for all your queue tracking needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpZuGxSgZY

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Halisnacks posted:

I literally cannot think of any person or group of people, dead or alive, that I would queue 30 hours to see.
I'd queue to see the royal family, but only to watch them get [parody] [redacted] in the loving [minecraft]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

No I've not heard of

oh gently caress

OH gently caress
How do you make asbestos that isn't fireproof.

Coating it with bitumen obviously, so that it acts like a wick, but at that point why bother with the asbestos?

"Hi I'd like some panels made up of something with well known health hazards, but that is tolerated at the time because of its excellent fire resistance. Also could you make it flammable?"

"Oh yeah, I'd like some beryllium ceramic electrical insulators too, can you copper plate them?"

M_P_R
Apr 8, 2016

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Centre Parcs Longleat

Fun as a kid, now you look at the prices for a lodge and it's extortionate. Place is starting to show its age aswell.

Yeah, I remember going there years ago (Sept 2001 - I watched the twin towers collapse on the news).
The dome was quite cool but it meant that every time it rained, it would get packed as nobody wanted to walk around outside in the pouring rain.
Its extortionately expensive now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The fire spread to the wall's interior soundproofing material, which was highly combustible, causing an intense fire that ignited the flammable acrylic sheeting that covered the rest of the building. The fire quickly spread across the sheeting on the leisure centre walls and roof, and through vents which were not properly fireproofed. The acrylic material melted, allowing more oxygen to enter, and dropping burning molten material, both starting other fires and injuring those trying to escape.

quote:

There was no attempt to evacuate the 3,000 people present until the visible evidence of the flames prompted a panic-stricken mass rush for the exits. The fire was contained in an internal space within the walls until it penetrated the interior, destroying the wiring of the fire alarm system in the process.

Also I'd like the roof to be made of napalm, and can you make it so that the fire alarm switches off if it gets too hot or the wiring is damaged? No definitely should fail 'off' in a fault condition, make a note of that. Otherwise people might confuse faults with fires you see.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

How do you make asbestos that isn't fireproof.

Coating it with bitumen obviously, so that it acts like a wick, but at that point why bother with the asbestos?

"Hi I'd like some panels made up of something with well known health hazards, but that is tolerated at the time because of its excellent fire resistance. Also could you make it flammable?"

"Oh yeah, I'd like some beryllium ceramic electrical insulators too, can you copper plate them?"

It feels like when I deliberately make a death trap in planet zoo.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Also I'd like the roof to be made of napalm, and can you make it so that the fire alarm switches off if it gets too hot or the wiring is damaged? No definitely should fail 'off' in a fault condition, make a note of that. Otherwise people might confuse faults with fires you see.

I mean you can put fire exits in if you want but I will keep them locked at all times.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Is the Isle of Man real?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
My gym has cut its opening hours on Monday to 6am till 4pm as getting jacked in the evening specifically would be insensitive.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

peanut- posted:

My gym has cut its opening hours on Monday to 6am till 4pm as getting jacked in the evening specifically would be insensitive.

my gym has cut its hours from 8am to 4pm

and I am being forced into work because I'm the only non-royalist on the team lol

so no chest day for 'ol barry next week

shame really, I understood that one rep = one respec

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

No jacking at all on the day of the funeral please.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I'm going up to London at the weekend for an event on Saturday night that I've been looking forward to for months. I'm super glad I booked my hotel a couple of months ago. It's going to be loving grim. At least I won't be there for Monday when everything just freezes in time for a couple of hours.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

This isn't the peasant mindset.
The peasants are still working knowing they live week by week and still need to feed their kids or get ready for the energy price hikes.
And if they get a day off its because their gracious boss wants to show how much a royalist they are by allowing one.
These are boomers and middle class wankers.
The ones that clamber for Henman Hill in Wimbledon, or proms tickets.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 14, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It feels like when I deliberately make a death trap in planet zoo.
The fire alarm wiring is giving me a serious engineer-brain meltdown.

Like that's babby's first control theory lesson, often literally, like *draws a smoke detector, a bell, and two long wires on blackboard* "okay, when the detector detects smoke, it produces 12V, which rings the bell, can you see the problem?" *draws fire under the pair of wires* "the fire started here and burned the wires before the detector picked it up, everyone died. How do we solve this?" *draws detector that produces the signal whenever there isn't a fire, and a bell with a battery that turns on when there is no signal*

There's drawbacks with that too, so you can go to two pair systems where one pair is always on and the other is on when there's no fire, so you can do basic fault analysis, or more complicated high/low/safe differential signalling but the rule of thumb is alarm/guard/safety circuits are normally closed.

We've known similar since the days of the train signals, where they all fall to "no train pls" if the cable snaps, so I have no idea how they didn't in 1971 when they were building their Oops! All Flammable parc of the future. But I guess that's why I've never been hired to figure out how to make asbestos a fire hazard.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No jacking at all on the day of the funeral please.
No Nut Necrology

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

All this outpouring of grief is really getting to me. Not only am I stuck in a hellish, came out for a drink to escape the spoons is infested with air raid children'whirling about whilst the parents do gently caress all. I feel like screaming at the or bursting into tears. I am beyond done with this accursed life.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

frankenbeans posted:

I'm going up to London at the weekend for an event on Saturday night that I've been looking forward to for months. I'm super glad I booked my hotel a couple of months ago. It's going to be loving grim. At least I won't be there for Monday when everything just freezes in time for a couple of hours.

Wouldn’t worry about this tbh. Unless you’re hanging around by the giga-queue for some reason, chances are you won’t even notice anything unusual is happening.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1570106075961081856

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I misread the thumbnail for that video and thought it said 'The Queen is 2.6 miles long' like she has split into an eldritch horror that is now engulfing the city, while the BBC reporters drone placidly on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Right, that's it, I've finally lost my marbles. I *swear* I can hear a player piano rattling out jaunty depression era tunes.