Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Holy poo poo, the BBC have a livestream of the coffin, you get a few seconds of shuffling past it and then you’re moved on, well worth the queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

After all that queuing, I’d want a minimum of a selfie with the open casket, maybe a bit of ventriloquism or something

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I've been getting work emails from our suppliers all day that are variations on the theme of not opening on monday out of respect for her majesty. Reading behind the lines, there's a strong theme of "we're closing because we're afraid of being firebombed by Daily Mail readers if we dare to stay open". Our business has decided to close specifically because we're worried about getting firebombed if we don't.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I shall be using all my power tools, and digger, that day.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
*next person moves to coffin*
(Everyone at home mentally)GO ON PUSH IT OVER!
*person leaves*
(Everyone at home mentally)Awww.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

happyhippy posted:

*person leaves*
(Everyone at home mentally)Awww.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh ffs, now regret matching along the from side ginger " God save Queen" Or maybe King, can't tell. I hope 85s jus a little old man on a pushbike with a record player strapped to the back.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

notaspy posted:

A bit of google mapping shows this to be about 4 miles. If you walk it it would take over an hour but queueing will, erm, increase that.

People are going to die.

No, they won't. Volunteers from the British Red Cross and St John Ambulance have been drafted in from all over the country to do crowd control/welfare/first aid provision, 24/7. If anyone dies it's because they are wilfully sacrificing themselves on the altar of monarchy, there is too much bloody paperwork involved for the volunteers.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

I've been getting work emails from our suppliers all day that are variations on the theme of not opening on monday out of respect for her majesty. Reading behind the lines, there's a strong theme of "we're closing because we're afraid of being firebombed by Daily Mail readers if we dare to stay open". Our business has decided to close specifically because we're worried about getting firebombed if we don't.

I think most places hands were forced when all the schools shut.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m going to open the brewery on the Monday. We’re right at the end of the 5mile line too so might get some people who have joined the back of the queue over the weekend.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Halisnacks posted:

I literally cannot think of any person or group of people, dead or alive, that I would queue 30 hours to see.

I queued about 5 hours to get in to a secret Metallica gig down the Marquee about 30 years ago.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

My worst queue was three hours to get tickets for a Biffy Clyro show.

It turned out to be only a 45-minute show with no support

:negative:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

People do this for each new iPhone don't they?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/curiousiguana/status/1570067806028464128

https://twitter.com/curiousiguana/status/1570067817436745730

Red Oktober posted:

I’m going to open the brewery on the Monday. We’re right at the end of the 5mile line too so might get some people who have joined the back of the queue over the weekend.

Her Majesty reportedly had enough drinks on her standard daily schedule to qualify as a problem drinker, so I think to stop the provision of alcohol would be a disgrace to her memory. Lizzie drank gin and dubonnet before lunch and consulted with Churchill, I think we can assume she liked a good piss-up as much as anyone.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 14, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The real respect isn't walking past a box, it's waiting 30 hours to walk past a box

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rarity posted:

The real respect isn't walking past a box, it's waiting 30 hours to walk past a box

1 hour = 1 respect

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is Charles not still waiting to be interviewed by the Met as part of that cash-for-honours thing that went on a while back?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm pretty sure when you become King the President gives you a pardon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1569798117436051457

I have four of these buggers, do I just stop feeding them, it's what lizzy would want right?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean, that's legitimately the state of the country she left behind and apparently we're all lining up to say what a good job she did.

So yeah, starving the baby guinea pigs seems apt.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So by Monday, all that will be allowed is to slowly wander the streets*, openly weeping, seeking out those who are insufficiently maudlin, or thinking about dem hamsters. And then to point and wail mournfully at them...

* unless you are at Center Parks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is where playing Paranoia comes in handy.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have four of these buggers, do I just stop feeding them, it's what lizzy would want right?
Four of what?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OzyMandrill posted:

So by Monday, all that will be allowed is to slowly wander the streets*, openly weeping, seeking out those who are insufficiently maudlin, or thinking about dem hamsters. And then to point and wail mournfully at them...

I'm just gonna sit home and play video games op

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OzyMandrill posted:

I keep thinking of that bit in Excalibur where Arthur has given up doing kingly stuff and the land is in decay and the people destitute, Lancelot (who shagged Arthur's wide Guinevere) is wandering the land leading a band of depressed people a'weeping and a'wailing..
Looked for a clip but couldn't find one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah I remember that from the Official British History Book, it's after Brutus Beefcake fights the sea men, but before the scrap with Brian Boitano and the Irish giants.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Brutus Beefcake

Who'd he ever beat?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Michael Gove's family or something, learn your history :eng101:

Our Island Story posted:

So Albion took possession of the little island, which until then had been called Samothea, and he changed its name to Albion, as Neptune had said should be done.
For seven years Albion reigned over his little island. At the end of that time he was killed in a fight with the hero Hercules. This was a great grief to Neptune and Amphitrite. But because of the love they bore to their son Albion, they continued to love and watch over the little green island which was called by his name.

For many years after the death of Albion the little island had no ruler. At last, one day there came sailing from the far-off city of Troy a prince called Brutus. He, seeing the fair island, with white cliffs and golden sands, landed with all his mighty men of war. There were many giants in the land in those days, but Brutus fought and conquered them. He made himself king, not only over Albion, but over all the islands which lay around. He called them the kingdom of Britain or Britannia after his own name, Brutus, and Albion he called Great Britain because it was the largest of the islands.

This is what Tories want to teach in schools.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Guavanaut posted:

Ah I remember that from the Official British History Book, it's after Brutus Beefcake fights the sea men, but before the scrap with Brian Boitano and the Irish giants.

What *would* Brian Boitano do if he were here right now? I assume the BBC will tell us sometime during the rolling coverage when they run out of everything else to say.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Watching 5 minutes of the Liz box live stream is honestly loving fascinating nonsense. When I put it on a group of about 10 fash police (redundant I know) complete with caps with cameras attached were getting to the front of the queue so the camera decided to zoom in on them looking very stern and solemn, before they get to the front of the queue and each do their little bow or salute or whatever. Then the camera angle switches and we see the four soldiers with their massive stupid hats bowing and swaying slightly, and the other guards with their massive pikes looking bored as gently caress. All the while there's just random members of the public milling about like they're waiting at the post office.

It's such an alien thing to do for me, I cannot get into the head of anyone who voluntarily stands in an hour long queue to look at a box (which you can't even see because of the massive flag covering the thing, who knows if she's even in there) for 10 seconds.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Are we allowed to clap on Monday as a sign of respect?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/...5UdtHB-7DUKrm2A

quote:

Viewers of ITV's This Morning have criticised the actions of one of the show's reporters as she spoke with well-wishers queueing to see the Queen's coffin. Huge lines have already formed in London with hundreds of thousands of people expected to try and view the Queen as she lies in state inside Westminster Hall.

During today's (September 14) episode, This Morning reporter Alice Beer went outside the studio to speak with some of people who had already been queueing for hours. Some of the mourners revealed they had been there since Monday in order to get the chance to pay their respects to Her Majesty, who died in Balmoral last Thursday (September 8).

The Manchester Evening News reports that after being introduced by presenter Phillip Schofield, Alice told the cameras that it was a "crucial moment" as wristbands for those wanting to see the Queen's coffin were being handed out. She then asked a woman if she was excited to get a wristband, to which she replied "yes".

Alice, who like the rest of her This Morning colleagues was wearing black clothing, went onto say that the atmosphere was good despite overnight rain. She then whipped out a box of Biscoff doughnuts to hand out to people in the queue, adding that she hoped it brought them "a little of joy".

"I'm about to become the most popular person in the queue I suspect," Alice added. She then shouted out to a cheering crowd: "Doughnuts, anybody?"

However, while it seemed those in the queue liked what Alice was doing, viewers blasted the antics on social media. @DavidCo13261121 said: "Can't believe reporters are at the Buckingham Palace queues laughing, smiling and shouting about donuts as if it were a carnival. Show some respect!!!."

@princessnikki50 added: "How disrespectful!! Its not a festival queue!!!."

Another viewer, @Survivinthe20s, posted: "Jesus wept you are treating this queue like it’s the opening for the new ride at Alton Towers. Not a good look, have some respect."

Meanwhile, @selz_j said: "Fair enough if Alice wants to give doughnuts to people in queues but it would be less disrespectful if it wasn't being televised."

How dare you not spend your 30 hours queuing in miserable suffering YOU loving PLEB :byodame:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The whole “she’s not even in there probably” conspiracy thing just seems like a bridge too far, what would the point be other than “haha look at the peasants falling for our massively over complicated bit of grief theatre, what a load of silly pricks”?

That probably makes it even more likely to be true though so :shrug:

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

peanut- posted:

Wouldn’t worry about this tbh. Unless you’re hanging around by the giga-queue for some reason, chances are you won’t even notice anything unusual is happening.

I'll be near it, I think, but won't have to interact with it unless they reroute it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

The whole “she’s not even in there probably” conspiracy thing just seems like a bridge too far, what would the point be other than “haha look at the peasants falling for our massively over complicated bit of grief theatre, what a load of silly pricks”?

its irrelevant whether some body is in some box. but she is in the box.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I didn't realise this was a conspiracy, that wasn't really my point if this was in response to me. It's just an outline of a box, it's not exactly an open casket. Just a loving weird thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're trying to paint the whole thing as a big family funeral for the nan of the nation but then they get mad when there's singing and a big deal about snacks. Can't have it both ways.

Want to see the First Sea Lord start a fight over some ham sandwiches while sniffing back tears and poking someone in the chest repeatedly.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
Schroedingers queen

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

They're trying to paint the whole thing as a big family funeral for the nan of the nation but then they get mad when there's singing and a big deal about snacks. Can't have it both ways.

Want to see the First Sea Lord start a fight over some ham sandwiches while sniffing back tears and poking someone in the chest repeatedly.

Just they wait to the bit of the funeral where everyone goes to the pub to get pissed and your aunt and uncle get caught shagging in the toilets

...That's how it always goes, right?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

we had shots of vodka handed out on trays on the door in to my Glaswegian grandad's funeral reception

then we discovered our entire branch of the family have the wrong surname cos he did a fraud to claim redundancy from the shipyards twice so just changed his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

There's no way she's in the box. Imagine somebody manages to get a lucky start, dodge past the funny hat men to knock the coffin over, and she comes flailing out live (dead) on the Beeb. Not happening. She's not in the box. It's a bunch of used horse tack and Andrew's old hard drives for ballast.