Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Taear posted:

Because Isildur being there as the rings were forged is weird. It makes it less sweeping and dramatic if it all happened within say 200 years.
Yes, a mere 200 years.

A story that spanned 1822 to today would be far too small scale and mundane to capture the true grandeur of Tolkien's notes, but I'm afraid it is an unfortunate concession to people who want their stories to actually be about characters, rather than abstract historical epochs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/beetlemoses/status/1570073924070772736

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Elentor posted:

Reading it and it's great but Ungoliant is not a fallen Valar, she is one of the primordial entities that were born with Ea "or before". Tolkien talks about them like Old Gods even, they're creatures that were not understood by the Valar and iirc in a letter it's talked about that they didn't understand even if they were part of the plan or a residue of the song in the universe. The tunnels deep beneath Moria were made by such entities.

Morgoth severely underestimated Ungoliant because he could not imagine how something could be mightier than him, the most powerful of the Valar. The Primordial entities are on purpose the "even further mountains" of Tolkien's mythos but with species, and it was exactly this kind of surprise that terrified Morgoth.

If you translated all this into Lovecraft, Morgoth is something like Hastur or Cthulhu. Ungoliant is something like Shub-Niggurath or Yog-Sothoth - basically maybe an order of magnitude or so more powerful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

If you translated all this into Lovecraft, Morgoth is something like Hastur or Cthulhu. Ungoliant is something like Shub-Niggurath or Yog-Sothoth - basically maybe an order of magnitude or so more powerful.

Ah yes very clear.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Everyone posted:

If you translated this into pasta, which would be the ‘flat spaghetti’ one and which the little bow tie things?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

PostNouveau posted:

I'm gonna assume they were first drafts of the Valar that Ilúvatar didn't like to tell anyone about.

Eru's early stoner and death metal phase.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Torquemada posted:

If you translated this into pasta, which would be the ‘flat spaghetti’ one and which the little bow tie things?

cthulhu is a lil bowtie thing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GOT 'IM!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Durin's Bane (and the fall of Moria) doesn't happen until _well_ into the Third Age (TA 1980), so I don't see them being able to portray that in this series.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

alcaras posted:

Durin's Bane (and the fall of Moria) doesn't happen until _well_ into the Third Age (TA 1980), so I don't see them being able to portray that in this series.

As much as I am 100% confident that they're going to compress the fall of Khazad-dûm into the timeline of this show, it would be hilarious if they gave us five seasons of hints and teases that the Balrog was about to show up and them never actually got to the proverbial fireworks factory.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Unless they release the contract between the tolkien estate and amazon showing ironclad veto power, i'm not convinced that amazon couldn't get away with a push for a few "big moments" to connect the show to the movies that are non-canonical.

Even if the veto power is absolute, who's to say that amazon couldn't negotiate around such a stipulation (more $$) or legal their way out of a veto if they really want a baby gandalf or a 2nd age moria downfall?

With Christopher Tolkien passed on, it's almost inevitable that the estate will shift into money making mode as it needs to support more and more descendants (or corporate stakeholder interests) who might be more willing to put creature comforts above lore purity.

It's not guaranteed, but it's certainly not impossible.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ungoliant can't be that strong, her daughter lost in single combat to Samwise Gamgee.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

My stupid little not-thought-out-at-all pet theory is that the Harfoots that fell behind the caravan drove their carts of the route and settled where they got stuck thus creating the first proto-Hobbit-Hill-houses.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

GimpInBlack posted:

As much as I am 100% confident that they're going to compress the fall of Khazad-dûm into the timeline of this show, it would be hilarious if they gave us five seasons of hints and teases that the Balrog was about to show up and them never actually got to the proverbial fireworks factory.

five seasons of "hey should we keep delving so greedily and so deep?" "it's fine, what's the worst that could happen?"

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I'll allow it if they actually dig through some of those cool sounding cosmic horror elder god tunnels on their way to the Balrog.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Did anyone here pitch the stranger being Tom Bombadil? Just saw some article make a quick case, seems to check the boxes as much as any other theory. Can’t recall when he came to ME and such though.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

MystOpportunity posted:

Did anyone here pitch the stranger being Tom Bombadil? Just saw some article make a quick case, seems to check the boxes as much as any other theory. Can’t recall when he came to ME and such though.

Pretty sure that feller was almost there from the start. That he got grandfathered in when Yavanna created the Ents and stuff. I might remember it wrong though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a timeline/rights issue with them showing a Balrog? I want to see them show a balrog with no wings just to watch the insane meltdown it would generate

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GimpInBlack posted:

After years of foreshadowing and winks to the audience:
"This mining is going great! I see no reason why Khazad-dum won't thrive for ten thousand years!"
*pickaxe hits odd-looking rock*
*cut to black, roll credits, end of series*

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pospysyl posted:

Ungoliant can't be that strong, her daughter lost in single combat to Samwise Gamgee.

Clearly Shelob was the fail-daughter of the brood.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Everyone posted:

Clearly Shelob was the fail-daughter of the brood.

The runt of the egg sac.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stupid Sexy Shelob.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

bou posted:

My stupid little not-thought-out-at-all pet theory is that the Harfoots that fell behind the caravan drove their carts of the route and settled where they got stuck thus creating the first proto-Hobbit-Hill-houses.

Some of the wagon wheels look exactly like hobbit house doors, so that would be a cool way to do it.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is there a timeline/rights issue with them showing a Balrog? I want to see them show a balrog with no wings just to watch the insane meltdown it would generate

There's a Balrog in the trailer so we know we're seeing *a* Balrog, and I have no idea what other context one would show up other than the dwarves mining too deep. Considering they've already compressed the hell out of the timeline and the last episode was obviously teasing mithril, it seems like the obvious scenario. Technically we don't see any wings in the trailer image though!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 14, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arc Hammer posted:

Stupid Sexy Shelob.

i will maintain shadow of war ruled and it not being afraid to take some wild rear end interpretations of tolkien owned

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's a Balrog in the trailer so we know we're seeing *a* Balrog, and I have no idea what other context one would show up other than the dwarves mining too deep. Considering they've already compressed the hell out of the timeline and the last episode was obviously teasing mithril, it seems like the obvious scenario. Technically we don't see any wings in the trailer image though!

I assumed that since we saw some other evil priest looking character earlier that its possible that they just summon or contact one, like in the aforementioned Shadow of War game. The existence of Durin's Bane implies that it is plausible another one could have hid as well, just somewhere else.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 14, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe a balrog is just a normal thing that dwarves find sometimes while mining.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arc Hammer posted:

Stupid Sexy Shelob.

Florida Spider Woman

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm still baffled by that elf dude dying in 10 seconds only because of a pretty superficial cut on the neck that definitely didn't look like it severed his carotid or spurt any blood.

Man this show looks good but it's amateur hour in so many ways. HOTD shits on it hard and it's barely trying. :(

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Kawabata posted:

I'm still baffled by that elf dude dying in 10 seconds only because of a pretty superficial cut on the neck that definitely didn't look like it severed his carotid or spurt any blood.

Man this show looks good but it's amateur hour in so many ways. HOTD shits on it hard and it's barely trying. :(

I think it's the Tolkien purity issue. They want it pretty explicitly non sexy and non gory. You can cut a head off heroically, but you'll never see a gout of blood squirting up. Nobody can be too sexy and no boning ever and certainly no implication anyone shits or farts. Somehow Galadriel despite wearing a uh diaphanous gown that is soaking wet at no point does she appear sexy, aside from being hollywood pretty.

Which is oddly contrasted with Halbrand snapping an arm bone on a corner, that's somehow ok because not too much blood. Bodily fluids can only leak, nothing can ever squirt.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
We've seen a beardless dwarf, so I think it's only fair that they'll introduce a bearded elf at some point :colbert:

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Kawabata posted:

Nah, Rings of Power is doing a hell of a lot more than HOTD. It's vastly more ambitious and much better visually. Whether or not you connect with the characters and plotlines is subjective. I find HOTD much more tedious, it's drab and dour and basically just Succession with worse writing and the odd CGI dragon thrown in.

There's a hell of a lot more nitpicking going on with ROP because Tolkien is the sacred cow of fantasy, but the guy who writes game of thrones is essentially just another genre author.

On the topic of blood, the warg attack was much more brutal than anything we saw in the films. It seems like an insanely weird nitpick to say it's "amateur hour" because there was no comical blood spurt when someone got their neck cut.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

BoldFace posted:

We've seen a beardless dwarf, so I think it's only fair that they'll introduce a bearded elf at some point :colbert:
I do hope they show Cirdan at some point.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pospysyl posted:

Actually the takeaway is that Samwise is one of the most powerful entities in Middle-Earth.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BoldFace posted:

Nothing stopping a dwarf from shaving. If an elf just doesn't grow hair there there's not a lot they can do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's something that's troubled me many a year: Since Gandalf wasn't sure it was the One Ring, he didn't know for sure that it would be quite cool. He was perfectly fine with burning the poo poo out of frodo's hand

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah we've seen a balrog in one of the trailers and also very blurry balrog in the background of the battle scene in the episode 1 prologue flashback

covidstomper58 posted:

I do hope they show Cirdan at some point.

has been cast for season 2 iirc

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

drunkill posted:

and also very blurry balrog in the background of the battle scene in the episode 1 prologue flashback

Really? Was that in the scene where we see a dragon take down an eagle? I never noticed the balrog.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
which maia do we suspect this is?

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1570173456234291201

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

zoux posted:

Here's something that's troubled me many a year: Since Gandalf wasn't sure it was the One Ring, he didn't know for sure that it would be quite cool. He was perfectly fine with burning the poo poo out of frodo's hand

Frodo just misunderstood. Gandalf was trying to say that it was sick as gently caress :c00lbert: and fortunately for Frodo it was also at a low enough temperature to not burn him.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Must be Ossë

Does anybody have a screenshot of the rune the Stranger made with fireflies, I can't find it Lycosing.

covidstomper58 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MrMojok posted:

Really? Was that in the scene where we see a dragon take down an eagle? I never noticed the balrog.
Yeah apparently very low quality and only for a frame or five but a few balrogs fighting in the background when the dragons are fighting the eagles

Queen Elizabeth II, she was sent back for her job was not yet finished...