Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I must have missed this the other day :

In what capacity specifically is Paz testifying? Is she seriously still nominally the corporate representative? She doesn't seem to be acting like it, what with not knowing most of the basic facts. So like, former quasi-representative? Person who got to look at a bunch of files?

If I'm a rando on the jury, what do I think her association with IW is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I must have missed this the other day :

In what capacity specifically is Paz testifying? Is she seriously still nominally the corporate representative? She doesn't seem to be acting like it, what with not knowing most of the basic facts. So like, former quasi-representative? Person who got to look at a bunch of files?

If I'm a rando on the jury, what do I think her association with IW is?

They went through a bunch of testimony yesterday explaining about what a CR is. And specifically pointing out that Alex could have named himself if he wanted to.

I think the point is that pretty much all the "bad" results of naming an incompetent CR have already happened. Infowars had the liability death sentence imposed.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
lmao the plaintiff brought those Google analytics receipts

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Devor posted:

They went through a bunch of testimony yesterday explaining about what a CR is. And specifically pointing out that Alex could have named himself if he wanted to.

I think the point is that pretty much all the "bad" results of naming an incompetent CR have already happened. Infowars had the liability death sentence imposed.

Yes, I know, but in what capacity is she there now in court?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Pyrtanis posted:

lmao the plaintiff brought those Google analytics receipts

That was very satisfying to watch.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raxkor posted:

"I don't know"
"I don't remember"
"That's what it says"

My eye is twitching with this lawyer woman.

One weird trick to *technically* not be committing perjury.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, I know, but in what capacity is she there now in court?

Corporate Representative

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

What hell is "liability death sentence?"

I've seen it in this thread a few times, but google returns no results for the phrase, so afaict its something goons made up for this thread?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Devor posted:

Corporate Representative

I thought she wasn’t their CR anymore because she was too bad at it, or can she still be a CR in Connecticut but not in Texas?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

RFC2324 posted:

I've seen it in this thread a few times, but google returns no results for the phrase, so afaict its something goons made up for this thread?

It’s not goon-made but it also isn’t formal legal terminology. It just refers to InfoWars/FSS/Jones et al getting a default judgement against them even though they responded to the suit, just because their responses were so inept and incomplete.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RFC2324 posted:

Probably, its referring to the "due to repeated constant refusal to provide discovery you'be been determined to be guilty, these trials are just damages."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think goons picked it up from Knowledge Fight maybe?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought she wasn’t their CR anymore because she was too bad at it, or can she still be a CR in Connecticut but not in Texas?

They've had multiple terrible Crs in the past that I think you might be mistaking her with one of those.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pirate Radar posted:

In the Texas depositions, Infowars kept sending really awful uninformed people to serve as CR. This was one of the reasons that the judge decided they were engaging in bad faith, and decided that Infowars had essentially been found liable (like guilty, but guilty is only for criminal, this is civil) for the acts accused.

The next step was to determine the damages - Infowars decided they wanted to participate in the damages discovery "better" - that was where Ms. Paz came in, she was the CR during the damages discovery deposition.

During Texas damages trial, Infowars had Daria act as the CR, instead of Ms. Paz, not sure why.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

RFC2324 posted:

In court cases two sides present evidence.

If one side refuses to take part a court can rule in the other's favour and it's called a default judgement. Courts are weary to do that as they want both sides to present their arguments and decide on the virtues of the case

Alex Jones hosed around so much in the case that it was basically decided even though he was participating he wasn't actually participating in the case and instead just loving around and therefore a default judgement was entered against him.

So it was a death sentence because it was ruled he was liable because he wasn't participating in the case. And therefore it can't (I think) be overturned as it could be if he had actually participated.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

So it's just an ominous way of saying it was a default judgement. Gotcha

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If he had simply not responded to the suit at all, and gotten a regular default judgment against him, he could have shown up and asked for it to be rolled back because… well, it would have been hard for him to explain why he didn’t show up before, but he could have tried. But I don’t think he can ask the court for a do-over when he did respond to the suit, just very badly. He can try to sue his lawyers for incompetent representation, of course, as he’s threatened before, but if he does that then the plaintiffs just add the potential value of the suit towards his assets when arguing for damages and he hopefully doesn’t get to keep the money.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Did Paz just flee lmao

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pyrtanis posted:

Did Paz just flee lmao

She was late, got chastised to be early next time

Did anyone catch what her excuse that the judge dismissed was?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
She was on an important phone call I think I heard.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Devor posted:

She was late, got chastised to be early next time

Did anyone catch what her excuse that the judge dismissed was?

I tuned out for a bit and missed it but in the reddit thread someone said she called someone. Just one person mentioned it, though, so who knows.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Loll I have been in lots of courtrooms and rarely have a seen a judge look that annoyed this early in a trial.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Needed some updates on the things she hasn't seen.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ms Paz, here’s an email of an infowars business manager sending google analytics to a potential advertiser to convince him to buy ad space. Will you please admit that infowars uses google analytics for advertising?

‘I can’t testify to what that manager was thinking.’

Jesus gently caress hold this idiot in contempt.

Also it seems like Pattis is using his objections to coach her answers.

E2: I hope they get halbig on the stand, or one of these other loving animals. Alex Jones Delenda Est.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 15, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
This witness is going to get locked up lol

Ooof that was a fantastic glare when the pony tailed moron objected with 4 different reasons. Possibly could have gotten it sustained if he said "hearsay" but that was shockingly not one of the things he blurted out

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 15, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
She remembers something!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Confusedslight posted:

She remembers something!

Alex watching the stream, "Abort the mission! Chili didn't do its job."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Can you use your powers of deduction?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Can you use your powers of deduction?

Not sure if he had previously asked to treat the witness as hostile but if he hadn't he is really close to being over the line here but the defense attorney is so bad the judge doesn't care

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Get her rear end hell yeah.

E: My dad retired as an attorney and holy gently caress this is the ‘stop lying you definitely smell like weed’ voice.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 15, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The gently caress kind of name is "Fruege" anyway?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry if this is a dumb and obvious question, but why are they hammering the Google Analytics so hard? Is it just to prove that FSS didn't participate in discovery?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb and obvious question, but why are they hammering the Google Analytics so hard? Is it just to prove that FSS didn't participate in discovery?

To prove that Info Wars did make money off of their coverage of sandy hook

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It proves they're all lying when they deny it over and over.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

BigRed0427 posted:

To prove that Info Wars did make money off of their coverage of sandy hook

Ahhh yes today is super obvious now thank you.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

RFC2324 posted:

So it's just an ominous way of saying it was a default judgement. Gotcha

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=death+penalty+sanctions&ia=web

Edit: catching up. Yes Google Analytics is important because the IW strategy is clearly to say "Jones goes on air each day and just says whatever comes into his head, he's a moron, no reasonable person would take what he says seriously." A way of saying that they might have defamed people, but by accident, and doesn't everybody do a whoopsiedoodle every once in a while?

But what Mattei et al. are arguing is that IW pushed specific conspiracies because they drove traffic and sales extremely strongly. This means the defamation was intentional, profitable, and also helps juries decide how much that defamation should be worth. It has the side benefit of showing to the world what vile people professional conspiracists are, and how they are different from your buddy from high school you used to get high with.

I'm not really saying anything new here, but that's just how I would put it.

Troubadour fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 15, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
To prove that Infowars was intentionally spreading falsehoods and knew it was boosting their viewership.

"We are lying and looking at the data it makes us more money, so we double down on lying"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SalTheBard posted:

To prove Alex Jones knew his lies were making him more money because he followed that data and doubled down on this specific coverage to make more money.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Similar reasons why the Knowledge Fight guys laughed when, upon being asked how many people he believed listened to InfoWars in the depositions, Alex answered "probably 10% of the English-speaking world".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Yeah, that they're lying, but also it shows that they got spikes in views/sales/profits when they'd bring up Sandy Hook and that they knew that at the time.

It's hard to prove how someone internally thought and felt at the time, but illustrating that when they did a thing they'd get rewarded and then did that more and knew they'd get rewarded more goes a long way to showing that they did it to get the reward (or at least were okay with that).

Like, imagine if it was a Corrupt Dude doing Corrupt Things and every time he corrupted we had the bank records showing he got a lot of money from a mysterious source and then there were e-mails from him and his accountant talking about how much money he gets when he corrupts. That's incredibly damning in terms of demonstrating that it's shady as gently caress.