Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I stopped playing after frontier discontinued console support but someone go look at the big thargoid thing when it stops crashing you to desktop tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

They had to get rid of console support because there was no desktop to crash to and the players were just dying

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Worf posted:

They had to get rid of console support because there was no desktop to crash to and the players were just dying
:monocle:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double post, but is Richard The Brick any of you folks?

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

HonorableTB posted:

I'm still highly enjoying exploring around the galaxy with my HOTAS setup while streaming Star Trek: TNG on my other monitor

game still owns after like 7 years friends

I agree. I only have time for a few hours a week these days, but as a very casual player, I still find Elite to be one of the most unique, relaxing experiences available.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Born 2 scan

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Name + post combo checks out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Forced 2 combat log

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mekyabetsu posted:

I agree. I only have time for a few hours a week these days, but as a very casual player, I still find Elite to be one of the most unique, relaxing experiences available.

Between carrier trading and AFK pirate killing missions, most of my Elite time doesn't involve me actually doing anything these days. But it's still pretty chill to just space truck for an hour or two whenever. There really isn't anything else like it. There's No Man's Sky which has the same relaxing feel, but that's more of a fly around and gawk at funny animals simulator than something with any economy.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Between carrier trading and AFK pirate killing missions, most of my Elite time doesn't involve me actually doing anything these days. But it's still pretty chill to just space truck for an hour or two whenever. There really isn't anything else like it. There's No Man's Sky which has the same relaxing feel, but that's more of a fly around and gawk at funny animals simulator than something with any economy.

I really like the idea of NMS but I just hate playing it. The controls and UI are horrible. The basic game loop is not fun (gather materials and craft), and this is probably also mainly due to the controls and UI for me. Every x months I try to get into it again, because I'd like to like it, but never do.

In E:D I've been far from the bubble for two years, slowly scanning systems. I don't play E:D often either but it always feels fun when I do.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

lobsterminator posted:

I really like the idea of NMS but I just hate playing it. The controls and UI are horrible. The basic game loop is not fun (gather materials and craft), and this is probably also mainly due to the controls and UI for me. Every x months I try to get into it again, because I'd like to like it, but never do

Yeah this is my issue as well. NMS looks fantastic and I applaud the amount of work they put in to getting it to match their original promises, but the UI and general feel of playing it moment-to-moment is sluggish and janky (and standing around holding the mouse button down on rocks is incredibly dull and survival games in general just need to give it a rest). I did get a decent amount of enjoyment out of it at one point just because there was so much cool stuff to look at, but all the not-lookin'-at-stuff stuff is pretty much anathema to me.

Elite is kind of the opposite, large swathes of the game are appallingly bad but the feel of pointing a spaceship at something and boosting around is fantastic and I will probably keep playing it until Braben himself unplugs the raspberry pi powering the servers.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

NMS does one million things relatively poorly. Elite does ten things very poorly, but one thing (flight model) extremely well. And that's why I will never pick NMS back up but go on a two-week ED spree every couple months and will forever.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I tend to get space madness every Christmas vacation. Logged out in the black sometime in January well on my way to Elite II explorer :v:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I just hope someone figures out some way to get single player working. It's a great "forever game" and I can easily see myself picking it up 20 years from now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Marx Headroom posted:

I just hope someone figures out some way to get single player working. It's a great "forever game" and I can easily see myself picking it up 20 years from now.

Honestly wish that you could also do uhh idk just your friends without having to connect to their shitbag main server ever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You want to get really loving disappointed with a grind? Go earn yourself a Crom permit. It's not too hard to do, just grind your rep with the Crom Silver Boys up a bit from one of the systems they own. Then head on over. For maximum disappointment, go there in a large ship.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I finally did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkYbyBLS5j0

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Dabir posted:

You want to get really loving disappointed with a grind? Go earn yourself a Crom permit. It's not too hard to do, just grind your rep with the Crom Silver Boys up a bit from one of the systems they own. Then head on over. For maximum disappointment, go there in a large ship.

the Crom Silver Boys... I know them well...

ground out a permit hauling biowaste and agricultural products in 69 G. Carinae fairly early in my days with the game. earned enough for a Python, but yeah — disappointing permit. gated systems are never as cool as you think they're going to be

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Idgi, why would you need Crom in the first place?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Unsinkabear posted:

Idgi, why would you need Crom in the first place?

same reason as any other permit-locked system: just to see what's there

in Crom's case, Crom Silver Fesh, a narcotic unique to that system that increases in value the farther you sell it from the system, produced at a lonely outpost. iirc, you can't buy much of it and it's not as profitable as you'd think. literally nothing else special about the system

I chased the permit because I was new to the game and fascinated by an anarchy system with such a big economy (69 G. Carinae) and intrasystem complimentary missions. back in those days I just drifted from system to system doing missions for credits and dreaming of what different factions were like

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To be clear: there's nothing, I mean LITERALLY nothing, in that system. It's a class K star and the outpost orbiting it. And you can't even see the star through the window from the outpost bar. I was floored when I saw what it's like.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

F didn't dev

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dabir posted:

To be clear: there's nothing, I mean LITERALLY nothing, in that system. It's a class K star and the outpost orbiting it. And you can't even see the star through the window from the outpost bar. I was floored when I saw what it's like.
That's hilarious :allears:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dabir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQxzdh5kNk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A planet? Luxury!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Forced 2 combat log

I didn't even know there was a name for it at first, it was just the thing I did when I started losing lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Looks like 4.0 is in the process of going live.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Combat log is a surprisingly polite term for that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Worf posted:

Combat log is a surprisingly polite term for that

Taking a fight dump

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Greetings Space Goons. I have question: some time ago I recall a game about exploring space in a space ship, except you couldn't see outside your ship. You had to navigate strictly by looking at dials and gauges and levers and knobs. That's probably a terrible description, but doesn't anyone know what game that is?

Edit: I think I found it. It's called Objects In Space. Thanks!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 15, 2022

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Are they updating anything or just slowly combining everything into one, uhh, build? I just glanced at the thread you linked and couldn't gleam if it was patching anything

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Ichabod Tane posted:

Are they updating anything or just slowly combining everything into one, uhh, build? I just glanced at the thread you linked and couldn't gleam if it was patching anything

If anything they fragmented the playerbase more, not combined.

This update basically created Horizons 4.0, which is Horizons with Odyssey's worse UI, lighting, and performance, but without the Odyssey foot content.

We now have non-Horizons, Horizons 3.8, Horizons 4.0, and Odyssey clients.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Does this stupid update and downtime have anything added or changed for Odyssey players at all

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ichabod Tane posted:

This is a complete guess on my part, but it could be that they wanted to unify the playerbase, but simply ran out of time and wanted to push something so it didn't seem like developemnt had stalled?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

Does this stupid update and downtime have anything added or changed for Odyssey players at all

I think some things broke for existing Odyssey players, if that counts as "added or changed"

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This is a complete guess on my part, but it could be that they wanted to unify the playerbase, but simply ran out of time and wanted to push something so it didn't seem like developemnt had stalled?

The drum they keep hammering is "letting Horizons players see content that's Odyssey only" in terms of the Thargoid plot crap; I honestly couldn't tell you if my prior understanding of "4.0 will let Horizons and Odyssey players see each other" was my own poor understanding, their miscommunication, or an actual recent (post-console-cancellation) intention that they've since walked back.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Natsuumi posted:

If anything they fragmented the playerbase more, not combined.

This update basically created Horizons 4.0, which is Horizons with Odyssey's worse UI, lighting, and performance, but without the Odyssey foot content.

We now have non-Horizons, Horizons 3.8, Horizons 4.0, and Odyssey clients.

Lmfao Jesus Christ

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Lmao good thing I literally always play in solo mode and have never seen a Thargoid.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hahah ohhh INARA, they still show me having my Explorerconda. I got rid of that thing years ago.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think some things broke for existing Odyssey players, if that counts as "added or changed"

The drum they keep hammering is "letting Horizons players see content that's Odyssey only" in terms of the Thargoid plot crap; I honestly couldn't tell you if my prior understanding of "4.0 will let Horizons and Odyssey players see each other" was my own poor understanding, their miscommunication, or an actual recent (post-console-cancellation) intention that they've since walked back.

No they definitely originally told us that players would be able to instance together again. Here's proof!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/359320/view/5762897109865216337

This post from May 2021 talk about the split between Horizons and Odyssey. Here's the relevant image.

It clearly states there that Odyssey players were supposed to be able to instance with Horizons players in space. On surfaces was still listed as TBC, due to potential issues with killing humans on-foot affecting game ratings. Of course this post also mentions console launch of Odyssey, which has since been cancelled, but in general it's also referring to the Horizons/Odyssey split and eventual merge.

It was only like a month ago when they made an announcement about Horizons 4.0 when they first said that Odyssey players would still not be able to instance with Horizons players, with this news post: https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/discovery-scanner-15082022. So the whole merging back together again was quietly forgotten or something.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Fdev sucks