Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

evilweasel posted:

they literally just made the companies make concessions

They were present while both parties were talking to each other but what did Biden do to force the companies to change their position besides talking about the issues and trying to convince them to change? Convincing CEO's is different than Congress forcing workers to go on the job or face legal reprisals. I'm not aware of Biden doing anything or being able to do anything else here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really trust Biden either, and I've stopped kissing my Biden pillow with my tongue at night before I go to bed, but this "If Biden is helping to resolve this crisis, why do I think he's Reagan in '81?" posting is really bad.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1570381535139991553?t=fjc7G57KKdlPRqA5RQSApA&s=19

Obviously this could be a vocal minority and the deal will pass without any issues but there's seemingly a lot of rank and file workers who don't think they got what they were asking for

Maybe they should fire their negotiators then? Because they never even asked for paid sick days, just unpaid ones.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe they should fire their negotiators then? Because they never even asked for paid sick days, just unpaid ones.
Many unions are co-opted :ssh:

It's like how many noble-sounding NGOs, governments pretending they are democracies (but are actually bourgeouis oligarchies) etc., are actually garbage. Union workers need to take a more active hand so negotiations aren't run by lawyers. I've been in this same situation personally, but its not as easy to change union leadership, etc., as you would think.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

They were present while both parties were talking to each other but what did Biden do to force the companies to change their position besides talking about the issues and trying to convince them to change? Convincing CEO's is different than Congress forcing workers to go on the job or face legal reprisals. I'm not aware of Biden doing anything or being able to do anything else here.

i would think you would have asked that before confidently asserting something based on a lack of knowledge.

the most consequential thing, aside from the months of effort and personal lobbying by biden on the scheduling demand at the end, was this:

quote:

“This is an issue that can and should be worked out between the rail companies and the unions,” Karine Jean-Pierre, the White House press secretary, told reporters on Wednesday, adding, “not by Congress.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/us/politics/rail-strike-biden.html

which cut out a big company threat (accept, or we'll just make congress make you accept) and weakened the company's leverage in these negotiations (and their ability to believe calling the union's bluff would be a good idea)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i would think you would have asked that before confidently asserting something based on a lack of knowledge.

the most consequential thing, aside from the months of effort and personal lobbying by biden on the scheduling demand at the end, was this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/us/politics/rail-strike-biden.html

which cut out a big company threat (accept, or we'll just make congress make you accept) and weakened the company's leverage in these negotiations (and their ability to believe calling the union's bluff would be a good idea)

I was aware of this? Why exactly are you complaining about Biden then? He's done all he can by not forcing workers to do what the companies want? The Democrats are doing a good job not bowing to corporate pressure here that will damage their electoral chances.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

I was aware of this? Why exactly are you complaining about Biden then? He's done all he can by not forcing workers to do what the companies want? The Democrats are doing a good job not bowing to corporate pressure here that will damage their electoral chances.

Ahh, I think I misread your post. My apologies. I misread you as complaining that he'd done nothing, but looking back that was just entirely misreading on my end.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Ahh, I think I misread your post. My apologies.

It's fine. I think I'm confused what is going on in the thread right now honestly. I think everyone agrees the companies suck and the workers are in the right to strike if needed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A big flaming stink posted:

Again, this is by no means a definitive source, but the sentiment in r/railroading seems to be best summed up as "gently caress this deal and gently caress everyone who agreed to it"

https://twitter.com/who_shot_jgr/status/1570458013726539776?t=_NcAana7vSkE7mQl5VZKdQ&s=19

I want to stress that this could easily be selection bias on my part, but I don't think I've seen people who actually work on the railroads express any degree of satisfaction with this deal

Investigative journalism should not just picking a couple tweets of the most bombastic posts on reddit. There has now been pages upon pages of speculation on who's the puppetmaster for a tentative agreement between the union and management. It should be possible for people to wait and see when the union votes on it to see what they believe. Please do not take the potential union members agreeing to the deal as an automatic case that the union it voting against their own self-interests.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

What's also interesting in my experience is the mental schism in the railroader world between voting Republican and being so union-dependent. Something's got to give, but for some reason that switch never flips. :wtc:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't really trust Biden either, and I've stopped kissing my Biden pillow with my tongue at night before I go to bed, but this "If Biden is helping to resolve this crisis, why do I think he's Reagan in '81?" posting is really bad.

it's dumb because even if you hate biden, biden being transparently pro-union is one of the few unambiguously good things about him

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Trump's pet treasonous judge ruled in his favor.

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -A U.S. judge on Thursday refused to let the Justice Department immediately resume reviewing classified records seized by the FBI from Donald Trump's Florida estate in an ongoing criminal investigation, siding with the former president.

Federal Judge Aileen Cannon also appointed Senior District Judge Raymond Dearie as a third party to review records seized by the FBI for materials that could be privileged and kept from federal investigators.

The Justice Department has promised to take the case to an appeals court if Cannon ruled against their request. They had also sought to block the independent arbiter, Dearie, from vetting the roughly 100 classified documents included among the 11,000 records gathered in the court-approved Aug. 8 search.

"The court does not find it appropriate to accept the government’s conclusions on these important and disputed issues without further review by a neutral third party in an expedited and orderly fashion," Cannon wrote Thursday.

A Justice Department spokesperson and Trump's attorneys did not immediately return requests for comment.

Cannon on Thursday said she would instruct Dearie to prioritize reviewing the classified records first. She also directed him to complete his review of all the seized materials by Nov. 30.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-rules-trump-blocks-review-230842028.html

And as further proof that the "judge" is completely off her loving rocker...

quote:

And order that the likely criminal defendant's counsel receive Top Secret/SAP clearance so they can rifle through said classified docs.
https://twitter.com/jsartory/status/1570563441760538625

She ordered that security clearance be given to Trump's lawyers so that they could review the files. She has no power or authority to do that, so I would hope that the government tells her to pound sand.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
loving lol

Like when I needed TS/SCI I lucked out and got it in like three weeks, but that was back in 1997 and even then I was an incredibly boring person who never even smoked weed. For other ppl in my class it took well over a year.

Good loving game.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

quote:

Cannon on Thursday said she would instruct Dearie to prioritize reviewing the classified records first. She also directed him to complete his review of all the seized materials by Nov. 30.

I'm surprised that she did not also order that the review not be completed before November 9, 2022.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Catch-22, any lawyer willing to work for Trump in 2022 is not worthy of holding a security clearance

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

loving lol

Like when I needed TS/SCI I lucked out and got it in like three weeks, but that was back in 1997 and even then I was an incredibly boring person who never even smoked weed. For other ppl in my class it took well over a year.

Good loving game.

OPM is more backed up than a toddler after a three day cheese binge. Taking years now is the standard, and it's my belief that the chudge knows that and is setting it up to be just another way that justice is delayed so it can be justice denied.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Investigative journalism should not just picking a couple tweets of the most bombastic posts on reddit. There has now been pages upon pages of speculation on who's the puppetmaster for a tentative agreement between the union and management. It should be possible for people to wait and see when the union votes on it to see what they believe. Please do not take the potential union members agreeing to the deal as an automatic case that the union it voting against their own self-interests.

..... I'm not an investigative journalist. I included sizable caveats. Is it impermissible to post this sort of thing even with the warnings?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

..... I'm not an investigative journalist. I included sizable caveats. Is it impermissible to post this sort of thing even with the warnings?

I think you might be angrily agreeing with each other on substance, but I would like to be clear: your r/railroads or whatever tweet post was fine by me as written. Gives a bit of a temperature check while being clearly labeled as maybe selection bias.

and i'm saying this as a mod who's yelled at you about tweets a whole lot

post was fine

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I was assuming GP was referring to the original tweeter but I scrolled up to check and I can't imagine describing "The Goddamned Penguin" as an investigative journalist either :shrug:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think you might be angrily agreeing with each other on substance, but I would like to be clear: your r/railroads or whatever tweet post was fine by me as written. Gives a bit of a temperature check while being clearly labeled as maybe selection bias.

and i'm saying this as a mod who's yelled at you about tweets a whole lot

post was fine

Ah cool good to know

And yeah you'd never shut the gently caress up about that poo poo!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is also me partially screaming into the void about how much I had "tweet journalism" in general.

I'm so loving tired of clicking on something here, seeing that an entire article was written about 3 tweets with 40 likes and spinning in into "this is what everyone believes" articles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

What do you mean by this?

Making corporations spend money on paying and training their workers is something they don't want to do, and will piss off the people who donate large amounts of money to Democratic campaigns and PACs specifically to make sure they aren't made to do that. This is pretty basic stuff.

GoutPatrol posted:

This is also me partially screaming into the void about how much I had "tweet journalism" in general.

I'm so loving tired of clicking on something here, seeing that an entire article was written about 3 tweets with 40 likes and spinning in into "this is what everyone believes" articles.

You see it with everything, about woke/bigot 'backlash' which can be traced back to exactly this kind of poo poo or a blog no one reads, or incredibly obvious astroturfing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tayter Swift posted:

loving lol

Good loving game.

In the early 2000s I worked for a while at the SEC and needed a very low level clearance to do my job. I had everything needed filed by the end of day one on the job, but never actually found out if I'd gotten it by the time I left.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I dont get this busing/flying people to blue cities/states. does it appeal to the GOP base?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ups_rail posted:

I dont get this busing/flying people to blue cities/states. does it appeal to the GOP base?

Performative cruelty does activate the GOP base, yes. It also spends the money of blue states while saving your own and forces their governments to do things that activate the local GOP base against them (like showing compassion)

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Trump's pet treasonous judge ruled in his favor.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-rules-trump-blocks-review-230842028.html

And as further proof that the "judge" is completely off her loving rocker...

https://twitter.com/jsartory/status/1570563441760538625

She ordered that security clearance be given to Trump's lawyers so that they could review the files. She has no power or authority to do that, so I would hope that the government tells her to pound sand.

There is no recourse for Federal Judges except impeachment from the legislative branch right there is no body in the DOJ or executive branch that could censure her? Or even in the Judicial?

Vire fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 16, 2022

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

Their perception is that this is owning the libs, so yes.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Vire posted:

There is no recourse for Federal Judges except impeachment from the legislative branch right there is no body in the DOJ or executive branch that could censure her? Or even in the Judicial?

I feel like we’re only starting to see the craziness like this with all these nuts-never even tried a single case-CHUDges McConnell shoved through for Trump to rubber stamp. Especially if/when the GOP takes both chambers of congress and/or a GOP Prez, there won’t be any form of meaningful pushback (even less than there is now) at all for the conservative courts to really start getting creative and flagrantly mask off disregarding the law.

I think this was McConnell’s end game all along. If he can gridlock the Senate and thus most legislation and certainly major or transformative legislation, then majorly controversial policy will ultimately be decided in the courts at some point, that his lackeys control.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Ups_rail posted:

The idea is that Democrats are hypocrites who support immigration as long as immigrants stay out of blue states. Obviously that idea is stupid (because California exists, but also Massachusetts has more immigrants than Texas) but historically that doesn't stop Republicans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

James Garfield posted:

The idea is that Democrats are hypocrites who support immigration as long as immigrants stay out of blue states. Obviously that idea is stupid (because California exists, but also Massachusetts has more immigrants than Texas) but historically that doesn't stop Republicans.

One of those things where they technically correctly identify the attitudes of a by now very narrow swathe of well-off centrist liberal- one that's disproportionately represented by party leadership, especially considering the demographics of age and class- but doesn't really apply broadly anymore.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ups_rail posted:

they love that stuff, at least based on my experience talking to conservative coworkers. No matter how dumb or self-injurious, they love to crow about the latest thing Desantis/Abbott/trump did to own the libs.

Honestly though I don't think liberal/left-leaning people are any different. I'd chuckle and boast about Gov Hochuli passing a law that all firearms must be painted pink, or some other dumb antagonistic legislstion like that.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

James Garfield posted:

also Massachusetts has more immigrants than Texas

Is this true? Due to the many universities in MA, Massachusetts has a lot of people originally from outside the US living there to go to college, but that's kind of the total opposite class of people compared to migrant farm workers.

It is very misleading to conflate the two. International students at American universities are almost always from extremely rich families.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 16, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ve seen a lot of people call DeSantis’s stunt human trafficking. This is a genuine question, how does the legality of this kind of thing change when it’s by plane versus by bus? I haven’t seen people accuse Abbot of trafficking people (but that’s of course my limited experience)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Triskelli posted:

I’ve seen a lot of people call DeSantis’s stunt human trafficking.

It is not. Human trafficking is coercing or transporting people illegally in order to benefit from their work or service. This is an attempted political line of attack by the Dems in response to performative political bullshit by the GOP.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 16, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Triskelli posted:

I’ve seen a lot of people call DeSantis’s stunt human trafficking. This is a genuine question, how does the legality of this kind of thing change when it’s by plane versus by bus? I haven’t seen people accuse Abbot of trafficking people (but that’s of course my limited experience)

It's not the transportation method, it's the deception of the people, and that it was done for purposes of exploitation (in this case a political stunt). The immigrants were lied to and told they were being taken to a place with jobs, and instead they were just dumped at Martha's Vineyard.

quote:

787.06 Human trafficking.—
(1)(a) The Legislature finds that human trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery. Victims of human trafficking are young children, teenagers, and adults. Thousands of victims are trafficked annually across international borders worldwide. Many of these victims are trafficked into this state. Victims of human trafficking also include citizens of the United States and those persons trafficked domestically within the borders of the United States. The Legislature finds that victims of human trafficking are subjected to force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of sexual exploitation or forced labor.
[…]

(2) As used in this section, the term:

(a) “Coercion” means:
1. Using or threatening to use physical force against any person;
2. Restraining, isolating, or confining or threatening to restrain, isolate, or confine any person without lawful authority and against her or his will;
3. Using lending or other credit methods to establish a debt by any person when labor or services are pledged as a security for the debt, if the value of the labor or services as reasonably assessed is not applied toward the liquidation of the debt, the length and nature of the labor or services are not respectively limited and defined;
4. Destroying, concealing, removing, confiscating, withholding, or possessing any actual or purported passport, visa, or other immigration document, or any other actual or purported government identification document, of any person;
5. Causing or threatening to cause financial harm to any person;
6. Enticing or luring any person by fraud or deceit; or
7. Providing a controlled substance as outlined in Schedule I or Schedule II of s. 893.03 to any person for the purpose of exploitation of that person.
[…]
(d) “Human trafficking” means transporting, soliciting, recruiting, harboring, providing, enticing, maintaining, or obtaining another person for the purpose of exploitation of that person.

Also, Florida taxpayer money - meant for fighting COVID (because of course) - was used to pay for this partisan political stunt, which is probably also illegal.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 16, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh we're arguing that fascists broke the law again? How well has that argument been working for the last ever or so? Did I miss where Nixon Trump actually suffered legal consequences? Desantis is going to be rewarded by the system we all live under for his performative cruelty. Mueller isn't going to ride in on his trusty steed and set this one right either.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

silence_kit posted:

Is this true? Due to the many universities in MA, Massachusetts has a lot of people originally from outside the US living there to go to college, but that's kind of the total opposite class of people compared to migrant farm workers.

It is very misleading to conflate the two. International students at American universities are almost always from extremely rich families.

According to 16.9% of Massachusetts population has a foreign born parent.

Also according to MIRA: · Massachusetts’ foreign-born population is particularly diverse, with no nationality making up even 10% of the total. The top countries of origin for immigrants here include China, India, Brazil, Portugal, Haiti, Cape Verde, the Dominican Republic, Vietnam, El Salvador and Canada.

I only bring this up to say that yah sure the colleges but its more than that. Some of it is having an international airport and numerous sea ports across the state.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
MA's large immigrant population is almost certainly mostly due to international students and/or highly educated professional workers coming to the US on work visas.

I'm not saying that some Trump Republicans are NOT anti-those kinds of immigrants too, but rich immigrants are way more popular/acceptable politically than poor immigrants.

It's pretty misleading to conflate the two groups of people. Like for a similar example, the life experience of an African immigrant coming to the United States to attend Harvard or to work as a doctor is often very different from the typical 'native' African-American who descended from slaves in the US.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh we're arguing that fascists broke the law again? How well has that argument been working for the last ever or so? Did I miss where Nixon Trump actually suffered legal consequences? Desantis is going to be rewarded by the system we all live under for his performative cruelty. Mueller isn't going to ride in on his trusty steed and set this one right either.

Ok, let's all just ignore it and act like it's OK then

It's important to call this poo poo out even if all you accomplish by doing so is pointing out the hypocrisy inherent to the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, let's all just ignore it and act like it's OK then

It's important to call this poo poo out even if all you accomplish by doing so is pointing out the hypocrisy inherent to the system.

Absolutely fair point, raging against the dying of the light has its place and I'll engage in it as well. I'm trying to outline the trap I see constantly, constantly sprung. People are forever looking at the legal system claw hammer used to cave in the skulls of others in their class, then ending up befuddled by it not being used to saw through this board and go after the elite class. The tool isn't made to do that.