Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

evilmiera posted:

It's the spell to summon Moola to the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The FF's family were all superpowered. Spider-Man's family was an old lady who had heart attacks if you blinked at her and a hippie who half the time acted so strung out she wouldn't recognize she was a hostage.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Nilbop posted:

Who is the rando doing the Sally Floyd bit to Peter?

I think that's Monet, from X-Factor. The scene seems familiar, anyway,

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

lol and a page snipe at that.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

davidspackage posted:

What I'm getting from this and the panels posted recently is that Quasar is extremely good

No kidding, everyone who has been posting panels and excerpts from Gruenwald's Quasar run is doing the Lord's work; I have no idea if it's previously been forgotten or what but it's certainly never hit my radar before now.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

FFT posted:

Is that Stilt-Man and Taskmaster? what
(never even heard of The Porcupine since he's supposed to be dead)

In any case, if anyone in Marvel was going to logic someone to death, of course it's She-Hulk.

I think Porcupine actually became kind of a recurring character. He was in a more recent She-Hulk run a few years ago, as a hero trying to make the most honest living one can when your main talent is punching people while dressed as a porcupine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
More recently he was basically Spider-Woman's sidekick, then boyfriend, and tried to propose to her until it became clear that Jessica wasn't really committed to their relationship. He still stops by to babysit her kid though.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

That’s right; my sidekicks have unionized.

Didn't want to let this pass without note. Finally time spent in the r/r thread pays off!

(For anyone who doesn't get the reference, it's paraphrasing a Reddit post from a dom who claims their subs have unionized. Prime comedy.)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Aunt May (or whoever) learning Spider-Man's secret identity because of some interview snippet where he says "With great power, there must also come great responsibility" has to be a thing that's happened, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Aunt May (or whoever) learning Spider-Man's secret identity because of some interview snippet where he says "With great power, there must also come great responsibility" has to be a thing that's happened, right?

"How nice of Ben to try to help people he met in the community."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #26 (1941)

Quasar #51 (1993)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Way of the Househusband v. 8

After an argument over what to watch, movie night at Tatsu's ends with:

(Right to left!)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keromaru5 posted:

(Right to left!)

This series is about to be The Way of the Divorcee soon

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Push El Burrito posted:

I have been in a committed crime-fighting superhero sidekick relationship for the past 70 years. I’m the hero and I have 9 sidekicks, five boys and 4 girls. It’s been going great, it’s all consensual and everyone if having a good time. We sometimes live together, but we hang out at my batcave almost every day. It is not a purely vigilante relationship either. We all share an emotional connection and it’s like any other relationship but punching and gadgets.
Of course, as the hero, there are some rules. They need to call me Batman. No teaming up with anyone except for me. If i tell someone to do something, they do it (within bounds of course). The punishments depend on the person, some of my sidekicks get killed, some try to go solo. It all depends on what I agree on with each sidekick. We have safe words too, and we stop the patrols whenever anyone says one. It seems weird to villains but this is what we enjoy and we like to be open about it. Everything has been great.

At least I thought everything was going great. I woke up a couple days ago and told one of my sidekicks to get me a cup of coffee. He didn’t do it. I told him that I was going to punish him (force him to fight Condiment King, which can be easily resisted) and he said that he wouldn’t do it. Now, if one of my sidekicks acts like this I break it off with them so I threatened him that I would kick him out of the Bat-family. The other sidekicks chimed in and said that if I kick him out, they all leave. That’s right; my sidekicks have unionized.

They handed me a sheet of paper with a list of demands. The demands included (I’m not sharing all of them for their privacy), “Allow teaming up with other heroes” and “Demands are to only be followed after nightfall”. I tried to negotiate, but they were firm in their demands. I couldn’t punish them. My hands are tied, and I have no power anymore.

I told them that I would think about it for a couple days. They haven’t left me yet, they still stay overnight, but this list of demands is lingering over our relationship and our crime fighting. They want to keep a superhero, and no one has stepped up to replace me. They thought about finding a new hero online but only if I don’t give into their demands. I want to negotiate because I don’t want to give up too much power. I offered “team ups with other heroes only before 6 pm” and “follow demands after 1 pm”. I also offered following each demand separately but not both together.

I really do have feelings for them, and they have feelings for me. But the power balance was shifted when they unionized and I don’t know what to do. The relationship isn’t as satisfying anymore and I don’t know if it will ever be.

What should I do. Do I let them get a new hero and leave them? Or do I give into their demands and relinquish some of my power?

I could see some variation of this happening in the Harley Quinn cartoon. It doesn't shy away from making Bruce out to be really hosed up and kind of pathetic.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The same Spider-Man who often wonders aloud why people keep forgetting he's a genius on par with Tony Stark and Reed Richards.

That said, I do remember being quite amused hearing one of my daughters talking about one of her books having a character named 'Colonel So-and-So' and she pronounced it as written because English is a horrific mélange of the shattered corpses of other languages, blown apart and looted like crows screeching over shiny baubles. Anywho, it came out 'col-o-nol' and I kept thinking she was trying to say 'colonial' and it was very confusing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zil posted:

lol and a page snipe at that.

Its a very powerful spell, never fails.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The FF's family were all superpowered. Spider-Man's family was an old lady who had heart attacks if you blinked at her and a hippie who half the time acted so strung out she wouldn't recognize she was a hostage.

who's the hippie?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

who's the hippie?

Mary Jane, I assume.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Shageletic posted:

who's the hippie?

At this point, Aunt May would have been a 20 year old hippie in the mid-1960's.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

(Right to left!)

I see Japanese weebos exist as well

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

The same Spider-Man who often wonders aloud why people keep forgetting he's a genius on par with Tony Stark and Reed Richards.

Hey, he clearly went into a STEM program, he don't have no time for no fancy English French learnin'!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Some more good stuff from X-Factor.

The second one is particularly amusing to me because I once had to hold my tongue when a very narcissistic person I worked with pronounced "ennui" as "ennoo."

the funny thing is that he was 100% right and monet's flippant dismissal of the idea got guido killed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the funny thing is that he was 100% right and monet's flippant dismissal of the idea got guido killed.

To be fair, Guido dies like every other Tuesday.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I see Japanese weebos exist as well

I like to think that Rawhide Kobayashi made his dream come true and he's somewhere out there riding the range, ropin' steers by day and fryin' up beans at night

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Mary Jane, I assume.

Yeah. Snarking for comedic effect, she was deep into the lingo of the "hip kids" of the time, but as far as I know wasn't actually a druggie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They reserved that storyline for Harry.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #147 (1966)

The Tick #11 (1992)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darthemed posted:

Ah yes, the wizard chic of the mid 60s.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Their Satanic Majesties Request came out in 1967, so probably not too out of place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, this is the 1960s in Greenwich Village, I wouldn't be surprised if Ditko based Steven King's Dr. Strange's design on someone he saw on the subway.

Edit: Weird typo

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 17, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

Ditko based Steven King's design on someone he saw on the subway.

Always knew that guy was fictional. Didn't know it was Ditko who created him, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ditko did a lot of character design work for the Big Two, although he did also give us objectivist Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kwyndig posted:

Ditko did a lot of character design work for the Big Two, although he did also give us objectivist Spider-Man.

They were making a joke about my brainfart/typo

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Begemot posted:

Ah yes, the wizard chic of the mid 60s.

Dare you step forward and pick a card, any card in order to match wits with wizards of Procul Harem?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can't fool me, that's just 5 random british people in a photo taken last year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darthemed posted:

It's time for gear to come back as a slang word for good & cool.

I remember Beatles Rock Band included a recording from a Christmas record that was sent to their fan club members or something that had John talking about what a "gear year" they'd had. It was confusing at first but I have grown to like it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is how I know of it:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tales to Astonish #9 (1960)

The Punisher #44 (1991)