Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nativity In Black posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone cheers at the Terutsuyoshi over the top salt throw? It seems obnoxious to me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
some of us believe the dohyo needs to be really pure

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the best thing about all the salt is it regularly affects the fights, operating as sort of a wild card. his opponent can lose their footing on it. so can he.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Lid posted:

Looks like the last vestige of the English streams have been cut off :( only ABEMA from here out.

Well this blows goats. is there even a way to legally get (Correct me here if I'm wrong) the NHK G feed in the US?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

lol

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Well this blows goats. is there even a way to legally get (Correct me here if I'm wrong) the NHK G feed in the US?
A (vanishing) number of cable providers offer NHK World, which shows a daily makuuchi digest. I believe it's available on Roku, too.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
NHK has the highlights show available on their website.

There is a guy in low Juryo named Tochimusashi. He’s doing great, has a cool name and has an Aoiyamaesque physique. I’m rooting for him to hit the big time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I wasn't expecting salt bae to be the flashpoint of goonzeki gang conflict.

If you'd asked me last year, I'd have bet on Lord Shodai or Itchy being said trigger.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm loving Hoshoryu this basho. Also, Tamawashi is a confirmed legend. 37 years old, never missed a day (except for the COVID precautions last basho), and he's fighting like a wrestler in his 20s. Incredible.

Boogalo posted:

Trade Request Ryuden for Yutakayama for day 6

Trade registered for Day 6. Also, I love this formal trade request format, I think I'll incorporate it into the trading structure.

Robviously posted:

Trade request: Hoshoryu for Wakatakakage

I'm a little confused, cause you have Daieisho. Are you requesting to replace him with either Hoshoryu or (failing that) Wakatakakage? I can do that for day 6, but I'll need clarification.

Fluffdaddy posted:

multiple elders in the thread confirmed.

Lmao.

Day 5 standings

Makuuchi
code:
19	Mode 7
18	pseudodragon
17	Eli949
17	MyChemicalImbalance
17	Saturnine Aberrance
16	Banana Canada
16	Kenning
16	Lid
16	whats for dinner
16	Everyones Favorite Poster
15	anakha
15	Fluffdaddy
15	Jobbo_Fett
15	Netsky
15	scripterror
14	bartolimu
14	bessantj
14	Charles Gnarwin
14	Communist Thoughts
14	Crusty Nutsack
14	Flinger
14	Marching Powder
14	Vargatron
13	Ice Phisherman
13	Iron Chef Nex
13	Neodoomium
13	NuclearPotato
13	Takuan
13	Thauros
13	Tochiazuma
12	Chinook
12	jmzero
12	Khizan
12	Robviously
12	Teddybear
11	Tiny Bug Child
10	GoatSeeGuy
10	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
9	sivad
8	ullerrm
Juryo
code:
17	Helianthus Annuus
16	Brut
16	ilmucche
16	MalarkeyToboggan
14	Biosys
14	PJ
14	ratmosphere
13	Ben Nerevarine
13	Kuros
13	Maigius
13	Pakled
13	Xerzes
13	KungFu Grip
12	Gaghskull
12	LlamaTrauma
11	Akiosan
11	Boogalo
11	Dead Goon
11	Enfys
11	Lexorin
11	Liquid Communism
11	Log082
10	Bentai
10	QuasiQuack
10	rare Magic card l00k
9	Mekchu
9	oldskool

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kenning posted:

code:
14	Marching Powder

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

My boys have all been sucking it up, but I like them all too much to trade. So, gonna stick to my guns and pray they all turn their poo poo around.

Next basho: Cold rear end winner picks, because I’ll probably be in goon juryo again :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hirayuki posted:

A (vanishing) number of cable providers offer NHK World, which shows a daily makuuchi digest. I believe it's available on Roku, too.
Sometimes their daily digest does not show every makuuchi match, and I don't really understand why.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bentai posted:

Sometimes their daily digest does not show every makuuchi match, and I don't really understand why.

apparently the US way to see it isn't NHK World but TV Japan which has some premium version that has the full two hour broadcast in English

of course trying to deal with it is labyrinthine in its difficulty

a fascinating thing to me is that Japan's internet footprint for websites seems to have decided "geocities got it right" and never progressed in UI or usability from there.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I watch twitch JP abema streams until the NHK youtube ones go live. Keep up with who is up by the results list on the nhk website. Its kinda fun trying to follow youtube channels around as they get banned. Usually happens at least once a basho. NHK could wise up and just sell a stream for $10 per event and make a bunch of cash but noooo we cant make it too easy to watch our stuff or buy our merch.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lid posted:

apparently the US way to see it isn't NHK World but TV Japan which has some premium version that has the full two hour broadcast in English

of course trying to deal with it is labyrinthine in its difficulty
Yeah it's bad and expensive. I'd need Direct TV or my local cable provider, and then a premium package, and THEN a separate payment for TV Japan.

Boogalo posted:

I watch twitch JP abema streams until the NHK youtube ones go live. Keep up with who is up by the results list on the nhk website. Its kinda fun trying to follow youtube channels around as they get banned. Usually happens at least once a basho. NHK could wise up and just sell a stream for $10 per event and make a bunch of cash but noooo we cant make it too easy to watch our stuff or buy our merch.
I just have to hold out hope that Sumo Prime Time keeps gaining momentum, which gives the Slightly Less Grumpy Sumo Elders the ammo they need to drag the Very Grumpy Sumo Elders into agreeing to create an in-house subscription service for live matches. Or perhaps to get them to try and push NHK to offer a basho-only streaming feed outside Japan.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Funny moment in Juryo, with Enho's opponent going early at the tachi-ai and launching him backwards out of the dohyō!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'd like to trade Ryuden for literally anyone else. Oho would be my first pick though if I can get him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
There are various companies providing direct access to Japanese TV so you can get several different NHK feeds, unfortunately as far as I can tell they don't include the dual-audio feature that residents of Japan get on their TVs.

I used isakuraiptv.com a few years ago but it looks like they are not currently taking new signups (but can reactivate existing accounts? I dunno what what's about), there's probably other providers.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kenning posted:

I'm a little confused, cause you have Daieisho. Are you requesting to replace him with either Hoshoryu or (failing that) Wakatakakage? I can do that for day 6, but I'll need clarification.

Whoops, that was my bad I looked at my initial picks instead of what I got for some reason. Yes, i would like Daieisho to swap to Hoshoryu or Kiribayama please and thanks!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Teru's legs are completely shot already at this point, he's fighting super light on his knees and Tamawashi chucking him around was a consequence of his point of balance being so high.

It must be as much as I love Ura he had it far too easy out there today.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

lol my fantasy stable ate poo poo today

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

whats for dinner posted:

lol my fantasy stable ate poo poo today

Not just you. Only thing that went right was Ryuden getting a win to spite the people who traded him.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

bessantj posted:

It must be as much as I love Ura he had it far too easy out there today.

As happy as I'd like to be for Ura, that didn't really seem like a true matchup with Teru. Teru is definitely not well.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Not just you. Only thing that went right was Ryuden getting a win to spite the people who traded him.

Which is funny, because I don't think Kenning saw my trade request, so I actually get that point out of him :v:

Just to make it very clear, since I didn't properly mark it yesterday, I'm making an official trade request, swapping Ryuden for either Ichiyamamoto or Oho.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kuros posted:

I'm gonna make a bold call and ask to trade for day 6:

Trading Teru for Takakeisho or Mitakeumi in that order.

Quoting this for Kenning, I think I was in time for this, but looks like it was missed. :(

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Terutsuyoshi is in the top ranks of sumo. Frankly, everyone in Makuuchi should be throwing huge amounts of salt as they are all extremely good.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My stable is in tatters at the end of the first week, but I'm Ride or Shodai for my boys. C'mon week two rally!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Bentai posted:

My stable is in tatters at the end of the first week, but I'm Ride or Shodai for my boys. C'mon week two rally!

Same, but Tochinoshin.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
What have they been putting in Tamawashi’s chankonabe, my god

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What have they been putting in Tamawashi’s chankonabe, my god

The man got his first vacation in fifteen years and came back refreshed and ready to bash heads.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

bartolimu posted:

The man got his first vacation in fifteen years and came back refreshed and ready to bash heads.

It's weird how the folks who get a break from going all out every day for two straight weeks every eight weeks do well, yeah.

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

To uphold bushido I will not trade Teru while he is still active, but if he decides to go kyujo I will respect his wishes and trade for Taka and Mita in that order please.

Lexorin posted:

Terutsuyoshi is in the top ranks of sumo. Frankly, everyone in Makuuchi should be throwing huge amounts of salt as they are all extremely good.

Absolutely, it's so easy to forget this unless you're following lower divisions closely. Literally nobody in makuuchi is a mediocre sumo wrestler, especially right now. I'd argue that Shodai himself is one of the best ozeki of all time by default, simply for lasting at that rank for this long during such an incredibly competitive period of sumo history.

Also mark me down as fanatically and jingoistically pro-salt, as a degenerate westerner I support all opportunities for maximalism and personality in sumo. If you stodgy elders hate salt bombs so much then stop shedding salty tears over Terutsuyoshi being a wicked cool dude. I think the fact that he doesn't stop just because he's having a rough patch is sick as hell.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

ratmosphere posted:

Absolutely, it's so easy to forget this unless you're following lower divisions closely. Literally nobody in makuuchi is a mediocre sumo wrestler, especially right now. I'd argue that Shodai himself is one of the best ozeki of all time by default, simply for lasting at that rank for this long during such an incredibly competitive period of sumo history.

Shodai is hilarious for being consistently mediocre right up until you realize the thing he's consistently mediocre at is being the second highest ranked rikishi in the world. Good lord I love Shodai.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I'm keeping Ryuden. Gonna ride that turd all the way down the drain. Instead,

Trade request: Ichinojo for Hoshoryu (if available, Kiribayama if not) for day 7

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

JohnCompany posted:

It's weird how the folks who get a break from going all out every day for two straight weeks every eight weeks do well, yeah.

I think this is Shodai's strategy. He just sorta takes a break every other tournament.

Ed: I think it would be bitchin' if Tamawashi came back from his first time missing a tournament in 15 yeas and got a yusho.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 17, 2022

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if i could imagine being shodai with a scrap of self awareness for a second, i could envisage admitting that this is as far as you would ever go. logically, instead of busting your rear end and destroying your body trying to get the rope, maybe just do the bare minimum every other basho and drag this thing out...

writing shodai fic over here.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It's not go-time yet but I just want to preemptively post this as commentary on tonight's fights:

....................................................................................................Shodai

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I'm keeping Ryuden. Gonna ride that turd all the way down the drain. Instead,

Trade request: Ichinojo for Hoshoryu (if available, Kiribayama if not) for day 7

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd like to trade Ryuden for literally anyone else. Oho would be my first pick though if I can get him.

Trades registered for Day 7.

Robviously posted:

Whoops, that was my bad I looked at my initial picks instead of what I got for some reason. Yes, i would like Daieisho to swap to Hoshoryu or Kiribayama please and thanks!

Thanks for clarifying! You get Hoshoryu for Day 6.

NuclearPotato posted:

Which is funny, because I don't think Kenning saw my trade request, so I actually get that point out of him :v:

Just to make it very clear, since I didn't properly mark it yesterday, I'm making an official trade request, swapping Ryuden for either Ichiyamamoto or Oho.

Kuros posted:

Quoting this for Kenning, I think I was in time for this, but looks like it was missed. :(

Whoops! Missed those. Consider these all registered for Day 6. In future, if people can flag trade requests with "Trade request:" that will help me not miss stuff, thanks! Bold move trading out Teru, I respect it.

Day 6 standings

Makuuchi
code:
22	Mode 7
20	bessantj
20	pseudodragon
19	Banana Canada
19	Eli949
19	MyChemicalImbalance
19	Saturnine Aberrance
19	Thauros
18	anakha
18	Communist Thoughts
18	Kenning
18	Lid
18	scripterror
18	Everyones Favorite Poster
17	bartolimu
17	Charles Gnarwin
17	Crusty Nutsack
17	Flinger
17	Ice Phisherman
17	Jobbo_Fett
17	Netsky
17	NuclearPotato
17	Takuan
17	Vargatron
17	whats for dinner
16	Fluffdaddy
16	Iron Chef Nex
16	Khizan
16	Marching Powder
15	jmzero
15	Tochiazuma
14	Chinook
14	GoatSeeGuy
14	Neodoomium
14	Teddybear
14	Tiny Bug Child
13	Robviously
12	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
9	sivad
8	ullerrm
Juryo
code:
19	Helianthus Annuus
18	ilmucche
18	MalarkeyToboggan
18	Pakled
18	KungFu Grip
17	Brut
17	Maigius
16	Enfys
16	Kuros
16	Liquid Communism
16	Log082
16	ratmosphere
15	Ben Nerevarine
15	Biosys
15	Gaghskull
15	Lexorin
15	LlamaTrauma
15	PJ
15	Xerzes
14	Boogalo
14	oldskool
13	Akiosan
13	QuasiQuack
13	rare Magic card l00k
12	Dead Goon
12	Mekchu
10	Bentai

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hokutofuji getting balder and stronger like Goku taking off his weighted clothes