Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

From Popbitch:

Jodie Whittaker is the first Dr Who since Tom Baker to be the doctor under three different prime ministers.

Not to mention the ONLY Doctor under two monarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

Not to mention the ONLY Doctor under two monarchs.

Two *so far*. Charles is 72, and october is a month away, so y'know. Its not out the question.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

SiKboy posted:

Two *so far*. Charles is 72, and october is a month away, so y'know. Its not out the question.

Please, let me watch a new Doctor Who next month. I don't want to wait any longer. :negative:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

Please, let me watch a new Doctor Who next month. I don't want to wait any longer. :negative:

Same, but monarchs funerals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m watching this episode of ITV Sunday evening friendly crime series McDonald & Dodds, and it’s got Paul McGann in this episode, doing his Eight voice. At one point, Naoko strolls into his building as a Japanese businesswoman, set to a very 4 beat heavy piece of music, walks right up to McGann and says, as she looks around slightly disappointedly “It’s much smaller on the inside.”

Also, Louise Jameson appears in this episode!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's a loving weird episode, because how the gently caress is the team principal also a undercover cop?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Presented without comment:

https://youtu.be/t7npEiISxSE

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

and I thought Minuet in Hell was bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even the loving music is on point :lol:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Delightful

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I have low hopes for the next episode but it will be cool to see Ace and Tegan again. The long wait for an episode that's probably not going to be great is a little gruelling.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The title of the next special is apparently The Power of the Doctor, so look forward to Jodie Whittaker playing a recorder and also now it's just done as a Flash animation for budgetary reasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

The title of the next special is apparently The Power of the Doctor, so look forward to Jodie Whittaker playing a recorder and also now it's just done as a Flash animation for budgetary reasons.

Obvious nod to Troughton and Season 6B, with Jo Martin's Doctor wrapping up her subplot by falling out of the TARDIS in the countryside as Jon Pertwee from Spearhead from Space :hmmyes:

Why yes I have been investing heavily in copium, why do you ask?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Obvious nod to Troughton and Season 6B, with Jo Martin's Doctor wrapping up her subplot by falling out of the TARDIS in the countryside as Jon Pertwee from Spearhead from Space :hmmyes:

Why yes I have been investing heavily in copium, why do you ask?

Absolutely this, yes :hmmyes:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Next episode will be great.

Because Chris Chibnall will gently caress off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

I started to watch Chibnall's run so I could put it behind me when that special airs. I reached Rosa and the episode is so terrible I had to turn it off. I haven't even reached the episode that made me decide to just stop watching until Chibnall was gone...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I still haven’t watched the Sea Devils episode

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

You and about half the Brits who watched season 37.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

The_Doctor posted:

Things happen. Jodie Whittaker tries insanely hard to mind anything good. The suits hardly function. Credits roll.

Can Whittaker at least have a touching regeneration scene, and memorable regeneration speech? She deserves that much.

....it's probably going to be her pining over Yaz or the Timeless Child or something, isn't it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I could get answers but there's a new showrunner coming up so it's not going to matter."

*yeets watch into a sun where it'll sit for another few series before another showrunner brings it back*

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Amen. I wasn't around in this thread when it was announced he'd be the new showrunner, but I'd imagine a few people in here predicted how his run would be in every way, based on prior form alone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crapilicious posted:

Amen. I wasn't around in this thread when it was announced he'd be the new showrunner, but I'd imagine a few people in here predicted how his run would be in every way, based on prior form alone.

I convinced myself that because he wasn't going to be trying to ape the writing styles of RTD and Moffat like he did when they were showrunners, which had resulted in episodes that were okay at best and pretty awful at worst, we'd get more of the quality he presented in Broadchurch season 1. Turns out Broadchurch season 1 was the aberration :smith:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I was really rooting for Chibnall and writers and tried to see past the clunky dialogue and the questionable story choices because it wasn't all bad! The most cinematic looking doctor who we've ever had on a visual stand point. The music was great and Jodie gave it her all.

But the global warming episode was the one that really broke me. It was just so bad.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 16, 2022

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Someone in this thread pointed out early how reliant they were on the doctor pulling a face followed by an exposition dump to move things along and that was the moment that broke me. It happens all the goddamn time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was worried by announcement, but also went, "I have to give them a fair shake. Showrunner is a bit different from scriptwriter and maybe Chibnall will be good at that."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was expecting him to at least get things back on track for one season a year, but noooo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's so loving basic. Everything Chibnall has ever done -- and I'm including Broadchurch here -- is just hugely derivative of something else, and shows no real opinion on anything.

Man peaked with his "Doctor Who never poops or farts" letter to Doctor Who Magazine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Confusedslight posted:

I was really rooting for Chibnall and writers and tried to see past the clunky dialogue and the questionable story choices because it wasn't all bad! The most cinematic looking doctor who we've ever had on a visual stand point. The music was great and Jodie gave it her all.

But the global warming episode was the one that really broke me. It was just so bad.

I straight-up do not remember the global warming episode, and that might be for the best.

I might've been one of the people that were more optimistic for longer, perhaps because I'm someone that generally gives a lot of points for concept even if the execution is bad, and if there was anything Chibnall was good at, it was squandering good concepts. Even I just eventually got tired of it, though, to the point where the weird time of year for Flux knocked me off the 'watch as soon as possible' horse and onto the 'when I get around to it' footpath.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The bit that has thrown me the most about this era of the show is that it's not... clever. The Doctor isn't clever, a lot of the concepts in the show aren't clever (although I have a soft spot for the whole image of a universe that's a frog on a chair), the plots aren't clever, the dialogue isn't clever, the character ineractions and motivations aren't clever, and, crucially, the resolution of the episodes are not clever. I initially thought it might have been skewing toward a younger audience due to that, but now I'm not sure. I accept that maybe you want to take the show in a new direction from that set by RTD and Moffat, but it's just weird to have a high-concept SF show with a character established as succeeding through intelligence and wits sort of bumble around for the episode, and then just randomly make some declaration that a random course of action will solve everything.

Quite a few of the episodes start off interestingly (oh no, the Doctor and the companions are stuck in a time loop with a Dalek who kills them before it's reset, how do they work out the mechanism of this process to master it and escape!?) but it then slowly becomes clear that the writer doesn't know how to best explore this in an interesting way. Or possibly that if they are skewing younger they choose not to explore it at all?

I do wonder if Chibnall is also a much weaker script editor than either RTD or Moffat, which means scripts that might have succeeded under them don't turn out quite as well in this era.

Coward fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 16, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

In recent years, whenever people would pop into this thread going "Oh boy, a new season/episode of Doctor Who will be on tonight! :dance:", I was always puzzled because it's Chibnall's Doctor Who, and why on Earth would anyone be excited for that?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Coward posted:

The bit that has thrown me the most about this era of the show is that it's not... clever. The Doctor isn't clever, a lot of the concepts in the show aren't clever (although I have a soft spot for the whole image of a universe that's a frog on a chair), the plots aren't clever, the dialogue isn't clever, the character ineractions and motivations aren't clever, and, crucially, the resolution of the episodes are not clever. I initially thought it might have been skewing toward a younger audience due to that, but now I'm not sure. I accept that maybe you want to take the show in a new direction from that set by RTD and Moffat, but it's just weird to have a high-concept SF show with a character established as succeeding through intelligence and wits sort of bumble around for the episode, and then just randomly make some declaration that a random course of action will solve everything.

Quite a few of the episodes start off interestingly (oh no, the Doctor and the companions are stuck in a time loop with a Dalek who kills them before it's reset, how do they work out the mechanism of this process to master it and escape!?) but it then slowly becomes clear that the writer doesn't know how to best explore this in an interesting way. Or possibly that if they are skewing younger they choose not to explore it at all?

I do wonder if Chibnall is also a much weaker script editor than either RTD or Moffat, which means scripts that might have succeeded under them don't turn out quite as well in this era.

The way the show is currently (I say currently, I've watched maybe six episode total after Chibnall's first series) being written it feels way more like a sci-fi flavored police procedural than a show that could do literally anything from week to week. It's hard for me to really describe exactly how it feels, but there's a much greater emphasis on the how than the who or the why. You've got the character who has to talk to the guy, the character that has to get the thing, the character who has to press the button at the right time to flush the Dalek into space (or an alternate dimension I suppose, since killing is wrong!) Roles and sometimes even dialogue are completely interchangeable because all of the characters are practically ciphers who can do anything.

Some of the plot logic during the RTD(1) and Moffat eras could be... loopy, but that doesn't matter because Doctor Who has never been about the mechanics of the plot fitting together tightly. Think about how many classic stories center around the reveal that the story is an entirely different story than it first appears to be. The Mutants, The Ribos Operation, Gridlock, The Beast Below... Every single Chibnall story is exactly the story that it first appears to be, except for maybe the one that introduced Jo Martin, and that story later on revealed itself to be incredibly stupid.

EDIT: I checked wikipedia to make sure I was getting Jo Martin's name right, decided to click over to the page on the Thirteenth Doctor, and found possibly the best possible encapsulation for the past three series in the comparative length of these two sections:

quote:

Characterisation

Interviewed by Radio Times, Chibnall described the Thirteenth Doctor as "absolutely the Doctor, but there's a new calibration, a new mixture of Doctorishness. The Thirteenth Doctor is incredibly lively, warm, funny, energetic, inclusive – she's the greatest friend you could wish to have as your guide around the universe." In the same article, Whittaker also added that her Doctor "speak(s) at a hundred miles an hour," while actress Mandip Gill who plays companion Yasmin Khan, commented that Whittaker's Doctor "has a similar energy to Matt Smith's Doctor ... Very high energy. Jodie has that about her Doctor."[32]

Costume

In the minute-long clip in which the casting of Jodie Whittaker was announced, she wears a grey overcoat over a black hoodie.[33] The first images of Whittaker's official costume as the Doctor were released to the media on 9 November 2017.[34]

The Thirteenth Doctor's costume features blue high-waisted culottes with yellow braces, a navy blue t-shirt with a rainbow stripe across it, a lilac-blue[35] trenchcoat with a hood, brown lace-up boots, blue socks and piercings on her left ear.[36] Some fans noted that the outfit had similarities to earlier Doctors' costumes, with others comparing it to Robin Williams' costume in the American sitcom Mork & Mindy.[37]

Whittaker stated that she worked with the show's costume designer Ray Holman (who had also worked before with Whittaker on Broadchurch) to come up with her outfit, inspired by a photograph that she had found online. The photograph had been published in a 1988 issue of Sassy showing a number of female models in men's clothing, with the specific photo of a woman in trousers, braces and a T-shirt, walking with a purpose. Whittaker said she "just love[d] the androgyny of it, without it being masculine", and that "felt intriguing and kind of open to interpretation and I really love that".[38][39] Additional elements drew out from the photograph. Whittaker wanted a coat that flowed with her actions and gave her pockets but otherwise did not have any fasteners, and she wanted some colour within the outfit but without going too "cartoonish".[38] Holman added violet to the inside of the coat's sleeves, a reference to the violet-and-green colours of the Suffragettes.[40]

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 16, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

I watched it and I can't remember it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lol as far as her first season goes that bit about characterisation is straight up a lie, because there isn't any

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Last night we watched The Time Monster and I think it might be the story with the highest amount of filler in Doctor Who history. There's maybe one episode's worth of plot, and then the story manages to then also only have about one episode of filler, stretched over 6 episodes.

The destruction of Atlantis takes about the same amount of time as the Doctor describing a daisy, it's demented

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I’d characterize the Chibnall years as ambitious and mediocre. Maybe half of the episodes have taken a real swing at whatever they were trying to do. The results have only rarely been classics, but this isn’t one of those eras of the program that’s playing it safe and getting the occasional hit or miss while the rest are watchable. The biggest flaw I’d identify is that when the show’s at its most ambitious, it becomes very clear that the showrunner doesn’t actually have anything to say. The number of frankly bonkers-interesting ideas that Chibnall’s squandered is kind of breathtaking. And the number of derivative ideas he’s repurposed to interesting effect and then failed to stick the landing is amazing. I don’t think any other era of the show has managed to make so many provocative story ideas boring.

Let’s take the two big accomplishments I’d praise him for: casting two women as the Doctor. Brilliant, great casting choices, and it opens up space for a whole bunch of new stories. Whatcha gonna do now that you’ve cast a woman as the Doctor? It’s like Chibnall did that and that was the big idea: he didn’t really have any ideas, any stories to tell that would emerge from that. I don’t think anyone expects the “Yaz loves the a Doctor” story that’s cropped up here at the end after years of Yaz getting alnost as badly neglected as Peri was is going to have a satisfying conclusion, because it’s shown minimal development and Chibnall seems to think that representation and story only need to be loosely connected.

Here’s a list of episodes that conceptually strike me as interesting and ambitious, good ideas whether or not they were executed well: Rosa, The Tsuranga Conundrum, Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam!, The Witchfinders, It Takes You Away, Spyfall, Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror, Fugitive of the Jadoon, Can You Hear Me?, The Haunting of Villa Diodati, Revolution of the Daleks, the whole Flux concept, Eve of the Daleks, and Legend of the Sea Devils. That’s out of a total of 30 episodes. 50% of the ideas have been bangers. Of those, I’d say maybe 6 episodes mostly landed, and 10 felt like they’d pretty much squandered their fantastic concept in multiple ways. This show has had periods where you’d struggle to find more than 2-3 stories in a season that had any real ideas to them at all!

So I’d identify these two central problems of the Chibnall era: firstly, a huge amount of ambition with about a 2 failure per success rate of hit & miss, and secondly, that even when the show is working well episodes just cannot conclude in ways that feel like Doctor Who. The net result is that his era feels deeply unsatisfying. Sure, in the (insert your most hated season here) era, the show reads now like it could go straight to bad B-movie festivals or Mystery Science Theater 3000, but in that period it isn’t trying for much more, and the combination of camp, overacting, bad ideas and bad production values keeps it entertaining in that B-movie kind of way. The Chibnall era, OTOH, feels to me more like the Star Trek movie reboot (or maybe the Star Wars sequel movies): production values are way up, leaving yourself wondering why a bunch of professionals thought that this story was worth their time. Jodie has gotten maybe two moments to compare with Peter Capaldi’s Flatline speech while feeling ineffective a lot because Chibnall is bad at endings. And it’s been disappointing to watch a show squander this much potential. When the classic era went wrong, you could tell yourself that it was silly to expect more and at least aspects of the show were fun. Now, it just feels like a waste.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I actually think Chinball refocusing on "historicals" is interesting because with some separation from the 60s to the 80s and in fact I think Rosa a decent to good episode (I know I am in the minority in this thought). Also, Demons of Punjab is great because it takes a look at the effects of the Empire and what it did to people and lifted the history of historically oppressed people.

Too bad Chinball:

1) got stuck in his own continuity
2) Made the lighting super dark and it just did not work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Last night we watched The Time Monster and I think it might be the story with the highest amount of filler in Doctor Who history. There's maybe one episode's worth of plot, and then the story manages to then also only have about one episode of filler, stretched over 6 episodes.

The destruction of Atlantis takes about the same amount of time as the Doctor describing a daisy, it's demented

That's probably my favorite Three story.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that the one where they flagrantly say the word "coccyx"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

While this is probably true, the daisy scene is pretty iconic ngl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

OldMemes posted:

Things happen. Jodie Whittaker tries insanely hard to mind anything good. The suits hardly function. Credits roll.

Can Whittaker at least have a touching regeneration scene, and memorable regeneration speech? She deserves that much.

....it's probably going to be her pining over Yaz or the Timeless Child or something, isn't it?

I'd say most of the revival Doctors if not all of them had some sort of arc that wrapped up with their regeneration and I can't honestly think of what that is for Jodie. Despite her performances from time to time, the actual characterization seemed kind of flat. I still feel like I dunno what her signature trait or (whatever) is.