Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ChaosReaper posted:

You might wanna get used to hearing them ask cause I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen to every random person who speaks to them.
For some reason all I noticed in the moment was BH asking the NPC made as tribute to Matt's tragically dead friend if he could bring someone back to life

Landed weird. Also loving dire snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Anyone post this yet?
https://twitter.com/Marisha_Ray/status/1570621298786861062?t=AbVKYIJoRGJbvrKAD8GmBg&s=19

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

Matt's face when they started talking about Whitestone lmao

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gently caress yes liam planned all this lol he was just waiting to say "we need to find a bigass tree"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
There it is.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

DorkBot3000 posted:

Matt's face when they started talking about Whitestone lmao

Matt: "Aww, poo poo, that's my prior campaigns coming back to haunt me."

Yes, Liam, do it!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Always the your campaign 2+ PCs to your level 20 campaign 1 PCs

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I saw her writing on her wrist when she rolled the nat 1, I expected it was this tattoo.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
In all sincerity I'm actually really excited for getting the C1 people involved, because this is the sort of narrative potential that is almost unique to D&D. Having to actually reconcile the implications of a high-level epic character on storytelling and social potential is really neat, and it'll be potentially cool to see Vox Machina members acting as patrons?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 16, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

travis is doing a full one-man physical comedy routine

also matt's really laying the ground for the Whitestone trip

DorkBot3000
Nov 3, 2012

Travis is killing me

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So is Pate still around or is Laudna the new Pate

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Imogen didn't dream about Laudna because Delilah won't let her go

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

lmao Sam, that's so good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
oh no, Laudna is a time bomb.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jetrauben posted:

oh no, Laudna is a time bomb.

Just gotta remember to turn the dial back every day

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TV IV > Critical Role Campaign 3: Also, you in danger, girl.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
FCG now has a mood clock

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:rip: to a real one

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

So their options right now for resurrecting Laudna are to reach out to Keyleth, see if Eshteross can scrounge someone up or sit down and cry while Marisha rolls a new character? It would be fun to see Marisha play Keyleth again for a session.

MrCompson fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 16, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I wonder if Laudna isn't some sort of Revanant template. Given what we know of her so far the racial abilities don't line up, she isn't just spontaneously regenerating every turn or what have you. But when that gentle repose hit and Matt made it sound like they cut off something, part of me wonders if there isn't some way for her to self revive.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/revenant-ua

Revenant was an early early ua and unbalanced as gently caress, but I could definitely see Matt and Marisha making a pass on it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DeathSandwich posted:

I wonder if Laudna isn't some sort of Revanant template. Given what we know of her so far the racial abilities don't line up, she isn't just spontaneously regenerating every turn or what have you. But when that gentle repose hit and Matt made it sound like they cut off something, part of me wonders if there isn't some way for her to self revive.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/revenant-ua

Revenant was an early early ua and unbalanced as gently caress, but I could definitely see Matt and Marisha making a pass on it.

I played a Revenant Shadow Sorcerer in a Ravenloft campaign once. I went in knowing the poor bastard was probably hosed and, indeed, he didn't make it to the end of the campaign. But man, the UA version of Revenant is BUSTED strong.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it would be a shame if laudna didn't get to come back, I rather enjoyed the cheerful zombie lady with a spooky woman in her head

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

MrCompson posted:

So their options right now for resurrecting Laudna is to reach out to Keyleth, see if Eshteross can scrounge someone up or sit down and cry while Marisha rolls a new character? It would be fun to see Marisha play Keyleth again for a session.

My read on that was more of a "Delilah Briarwood is doing something that was interrupted by the Gentle Repose spell."

One specific thing with Gentle Repose is that it stops the corpse or remains from being reanimated as Undead, which sounds very much like something Delilah would pull off.

Edit: also, jesus that was a good nailbiter of a session.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I doubt they'll get to do it because ~component cost~ but "True Resurrection" on Laudna could be interesting.

Imagine if she came back a normal human instead of walking corpse (and cured of Delilah's curse/bullshit)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dragonstoned posted:

I doubt they'll get to do it because ~component cost~ but "True Resurrection" on Laudna could be interesting.

Imagine if she came back a normal human instead of walking corpse (and cured of Delilah's curse/bullshit)

The De Rolo's are loaded.

Kiki could talk Vex into going into the vault for one of her smaller diamonds.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Dexo posted:

The De Rolo's are loaded.

Kiki could talk Vex into going into the vault for one of her smaller diamonds.

Oh yeah, 'cause Vex is so well-known for just handing out money. :haw:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Keru posted:

Oh yeah, 'cause Vex is so well-known for just handing out money. :haw:

Only on the fire plane to random gate guards

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The replies contain the best reaction to Laudna’s death

https://twitter.com/manikyua_/status/1570621447290359809?s=20&t=NSeL2-zXUvKyglDwgY269g

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
"Why am I spending money to resurrect this random woman?"

"Because we've met her before, she was hanging from the Sun Tree."

"Oh. Oh dear. Percy? Where did I leave the key to the treasury?"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wyld Karde posted:

Yeah honestly I think that alone would be reason enough. They all clearly feel mega-guilty about that

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Wyld Karde posted:

They don't even really need Vex's money / diamonds. If Kiki uses reincarnate, it still costs 1000 gold, but it's using rare natural ingredients like oils and rare herbs.

Quite honestly I think her reincarnating into a new, fully living body might be a more interest arc for her rather than just flat reviving her cadaver.

Edit: Reincarnation could also be a good way to let Marisha do a soft reset of her classes / subclasses and continue on the same story. Break free from the grips of Delilah, giving Laudna a chance to actually push back against her patron in a meaningful way.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 16, 2022

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I do admit, I want to see Marisha roll on the reincarnation table, take whatever comes from that, and then the party to clash with Delilah occupying Laudna's reanimated undead body.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Wyld Karde posted:

VM rez Laudna, but because she’s already a spooky undead girl they think it didn’t work correctly or something corrupted the magic, so they kill her again.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

TotalHell posted:

VM rez Laudna, but because she’s already a spooky undead girl they think it didn’t work correctly or something corrupted the magic, so they kill her again.

Clearly that's the One-Shot VM vs HB episode.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t think a Laudna resurrection arc driving though VM was planned from the start but it’s too good of an arc to pass up now with all the seeds that were already planted.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
A Hollow One is a body living without a soul. Would resurrecting Laudna bring her back as a normal human? Would her soul even want to return after already spending decades in the afterlife?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Senjuro posted:

A Hollow One is a body living without a soul. Would resurrecting Laudna bring her back as a normal human? Would her soul even want to return after already spending decades in the afterlife?

The rules are intentionally vague (Which means Matt is going to be intentionally vague for now because he wrote the rules in EGtW) but I know my DM and several others think Hollow One means normal resurrection spells won't work you have to get weird with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Senjuro posted:

I feel like in a way that was similar to Molly's resurrection bringing back Lucien, and then later Kingsley in the later parts of campaign 2, that it would probably be up to Marisha but may just logically call back whatever part animated her.

People have also brought up that if it was Keyleth, she'd most likely be using Reincarnate which very well could call the original soul back by creating a new body entirely. As written you'd roll for what creature it is, but imo using that to have her back as a living human would be very interesting.