Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
every character loses like 40 IQ points after their intro chapter it's extremely stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

at least SMT5 was good

lacking in story, as is kinda expected at this point, but still very good. S tier music and vibes

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I liked P4G and I loved Apocalypse and now I'm playing three different SMTs at once.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bees x1000 posted:

I liked P4G and I loved Apocalypse and now I'm playing three different SMTs at once.

there was a big Atlus sale before the eshop closed on the 3ds and I got like every smt game on there

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there was a big Atlus sale before the eshop closed on the 3ds and I got like every smt game on there

They are some of the best they've ever made, enjoy

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I really love strange journey and no one ever talks about it, but it has a great setting

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

I really love strange journey and no one ever talks about it, but it has a great setting

This + Soul Hackers & Raidou. and no Soul Hackers 2 doesn't count

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Dude I'm pretty sure they send Ann in as a "distraction" (target) literally in the next chapter lol. To lure the painter guy party member out. He wants to paint her nude

Man, you know what? gently caress that game lmao

I used to always say "nah it's actually kinda good if you ignore 40 caveats"

Yeah and he's also really pushy and keeps trying to basically force her to strip for his nude painting even though she clearly doesn't want to but it's all good and they all end up best friends later. "Water under the bridge."

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

You can not name a trailer that goes harder than this, you just can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ty1p9tQEQ

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You can not name a trailer that goes harder than this, you just can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ty1p9tQEQ

gently caress yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ryuji is also a lot different and moodier in the first chapter, especially the animated bits then he becomes the designated group dumbass after that chapter.

really not surprising it had a ton of rewrites.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

walking into the final Strange Journey dungeon like

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

walking into the final Strange Journey dungeon like

lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I never played teh 3DS remake or whatever, was it that much different?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's a new character who introduces you to a new dungeon that gains additional floors the further you get in the main game, but I never did any of them. Atlus loves adding new girls to their remakes who wear stupid hats. I did the P4G bonus dungeon and it was easily the worst part of the game

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There's a new character who introduces you to a new dungeon that gains additional floors the further you get in the main game, but I never did any of them. Atlus loves adding new girls to their remakes who wear stupid hats. I did the P4G bonus dungeon and it was easily the worst part of the game

I never did golden either because FES literally was AIDS and stopped doing that, haven't touched atlus remake bonus content since

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

same exactly, that premise is so compelling for some reason

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I never did golden either because FES literally was AIDS and stopped doing that, haven't touched atlus remake bonus content since

P4G is awesome if you ignore the new girl, meaning never do her s.links. It's like playing the original with updated mechanics

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/MangaShinigami/status/1272298870610046978

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I just got an ipad and wasn't planning on playing any games on it but then i remembered atlus ported smt 1 & 2 to ios forever ago and got excited for taht...only to find out they removed those at some point smfh. :doh: Last time i played smt1 was way back when the only fan translation patch broke the game so you couldn't buy any guns. those are two of my favorite games though. strane journey kicks rear end too. smt ftw

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I think whichever one you played first will be your favorite. Like 4 is by far my favorite. I played it like 2 or 3 times back to back when it came out lol. I thought I was burned out on it forever until I tried P4G on steam and it hooked me again. Just proving to myself that it wasn't nostalgia.

3 is excellent as well, just a hair under 4. The dorms vibe remains undefeated

5 is mid as hell in comparison, imo. The story, characters, s.links, music etc. all way under par. Literally the only thing it does better are the mechanics, like fusing and stuff. I can never remember the cat's name.. I don't remember any s.links aside from the Shogi girl. Everything about it just came off completely lukewarm to me, BUT like I said this is due to me playing the other 2 + every other SMT game in between. I think it makes sense to like it if it was your first in the series

i remember the cats name is morgana because i think its a dumb as hell name

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Persona 3 has the best main story, Persona 4 has the best characters and setting, and Persona 5 has the best gameplay and style. All of them are worth playing IMO. There are very few SMT games that I’d call outright bad.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

optional megadungeon with a bad bonus character and some optional endings that kind of ruin the original ones by just being more optimistic versions. you get a lot of demonee-ho which is great.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
it's time to hee-ho rear end and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah the writing really fell off a cliff after the first dungeon, which is a shame because it's a strong rear end intro. You can tell they lost some talent in the writing department like, just look at Ann. Her entire arc is not wanting to be seen as a dumb blonde bimbo, and her entire s.link is her becoming a dumb blonde bimbo

wtf was going on there

I barely remember any of the character arcs but I remember Ann for how drawn out and boring it was. constant call backs to a side character from the first hours of the game who had a few lines and disappeared for emotional weight which was completely unnecessary.

the most interesting characters were the ones who were not in your party which makes it hard when you have to constantly interact with them for over 100 hours.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

wow. i will always remember the heartwarming story of drawing my hikikomori sister out of her shell so she can experience all the joys of being groomed for sex by me, her adoptive big brother and leader of the Shadow Thieves.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hour 1 Ann, clearly being groomed by a sex weirdo: I just want people to see me for who I am. I am a human being, with thoughts and feelings!

Hour 90 Ann, S.Link lvl8 event: Hey you made it! Will you oil up my rear end in a top hat for the Banana Splitz shoot? Thanks your such a good friend teehee!

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hour 1 Ann, clearly being groomed by a sex weirdo: I just want people to see me for who I am. I am a human being, with thoughts and feelings!

Hour 90 Ann, S.Link lvl8 event: Hey you made it! Will you oil up my rear end in a top hat for the Banana Splitz shoot? Thanks your such a good friend teehee!

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

optional megadungeon with a bad bonus character and some optional endings that kind of ruin the original ones by just being more optimistic versions. you get a lot of demonee-ho which is great.

demonee-ho ftw

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Rude

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my biggest problem wth persona 5 other thn all the other stuff people say is the ending. whole game the theme is ITS TIME FOR KIDS TO TAKE OVER THE FUTURE AND DESTROY lovely ADULTS nd then the ending is you kids did enough, now its time for the adults you spent 100+ hours tryin to tear down to do their work. felt like a big wet fart, plus all the other stuff people say about how none of th bad guys other than kamoshida are any kind of interesting, all the slinks suck rear end, etc. its got the best mechanics in persona and great style/soundtracjk but the writing just isnt fuckin there and it sucks rear end!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

my biggest problem wth persona 5 other thn all the other stuff people say is the ending. whole game the theme is ITS TIME FOR KIDS TO TAKE OVER THE FUTURE AND DESTROY lovely ADULTS nd then the ending is you kids did enough, now its time for the adults you spent 100+ hours tryin to tear down to do their work. felt like a big wet fart, plus all the other stuff people say about how none of th bad guys other than kamoshida are any kind of interesting, all the slinks suck rear end, etc. its got the best mechanics in persona and great style/soundtracjk but the writing just isnt fuckin there and it sucks rear end!!

the longest plotline in the game is "who is morgana" and i couldnt really tell ya the answer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i do like three things from th ending, 1) igor's va not matchin him at all being an actual plot point ws funny, 2) i like the stupid summon satan to dome god with a bullet made from the seven deadly sins stuff, it's super dumb but in a fun way, 3) if you didnt finish dumbass moon guy's slink some random guy takes over for him. everything else is fuckin stupid

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

the longest plotline in the game is "who is morgana" and i couldnt really tell ya the answer

He's a cat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i do like three things from th ending, 1) igor's va not matchin him at all being an actual plot point ws funny, 2) i like the stupid summon satan to dome god with a bullet made from the seven deadly sins stuff, it's super dumb but in a fun way, 3) if you didnt finish dumbass moon guy's slink some random guy takes over for him. everything else is fuckin stupid

yeah by far the best part of the ending is how you save christmas by summoning satan to shoot god in the face

IMO the Royal chapter is a way better ending overall but they couldn't just replace the original ending with it so it inevitably feels stapled on. But it also wasn't directed by Hashino and had a different writing staff so maybe it's more indicative of what Persona 6 will be like under the new director

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i just want smtv royale
or better yet smtv apocalypse

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mbt posted:

i just want smtv apocalypse

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
the one part I really liked of persona 5 is when you are in Hawaii and you start hearing people talking about the phantom thieves outside Japan and the little polling on the internet starts to shoot way up and you get this feeling like "oh this poo poo may be out of our control now, this has taken on a life of its own" but they never really explored that aspect of it very strongly

also I think the area they modeled the background of some of the hawaii scenes on looked like the one sort of famous strip of waikiki where that one old hotel is and that's where my wife and I went for our honeymoon so it made me all :3: (but also probably a lot of Hawaiian beaches look alike so who knows)

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really liked the whole "Phantom Thieves" concept too with the costumes and codenames and all the dungeons being heist-themed. I guess that falls under the "style" category but it was a fun premise.