Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

evilweasel posted:

that's how a lien works.

your house has a mortgage lien on it even if you are making payments on time. what changes when you don't is they foreclose on the lien and own the property. the lien is a notice to the world saying "yo, we can foreclose on this, so don't buy it unless you want to buy it subject to our lien/lend against it unless you want to be junior to our lien"

So if this program explodes and people who already have mortgages in their property get them, and for whatever reason the house cannot be sold to cover the debt, exactly how long until banks get mad losing their mortgage investments because someone else gets to go first?

This sounds super crazy. Seems like the govt is involved because no one else could legally cut the line and get ahead of the original senior lien holder, except the program is stuffed full of graft and free of any consumer protections capable of avoiding ruin if things suddenly stop going perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phanatic posted:

How do you get a priority lien on a house without the mortgage holder being made aware of it? Like, under what circumstances can one company just kick another one to the back of the line like that?

it's implemented against the tax liability of the house

it's sneaky as absolute dick and yes something needs to be done about it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is essentially another circumstance where small governments are able to empower pretty lovely behavior. A local elected goober gets kickbacks for allowing contractors in the area to do work against tax liens against houses -- which is effectively cutting in line ahead of the mortgage lender -- and mostly gets away with it if the tax commissioner is on board. The small government has a sheriff's office that operates marshal services including things like serving & eviction and thus has a local monopoly on what is effectively "legal"

same reason lynching was so normal for so long -- local government can enable an awful lotta horseshit so long as it's committed to shielding said bullshit

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jemand posted:

Seems like the govt is involved because no one else could legally cut the line and get ahead of the original senior lien holder

Any contractor can and will put a mechanics lien on your home that is senior to the mortgage as well. I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the lien part here. So I'm really not understanding the government rant,

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So a contractor can put a mechanics lein on your house, take the entire value of it when it sells at auction, and leave the bank with absolutely nothing after you've declared bankruptcy?

If that's true, I'm very surprised you don't see that happening frequently as like a sovcit scheme.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jabor posted:

So a contractor can put a mechanics lein on your house, take the entire value of it when it sells at auction, and leave the bank with absolutely nothing after you've declared bankruptcy?

Depends. When it sells at a tax auction the lien very often doesn't get satisfied and stays attached to the property. This is among the many reasons why tax auctions are not suitable for private/individual buyers.

I'm not any kind of expert on any of this, I just know it's a thing that happens and isn't unique to these scammy PACE loans. The system for doing so already exists and has for a long time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the bank gets paid out while the mechanics lien is not, it doesn't really sound like the mechanics lien is actually "senior" to the mortgage in practice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jabor posted:

If the bank gets paid out while the mechanics lien is not, it doesn't really sound like the mechanics lien is actually "senior" to the mortgage in practice.

The lienholder needs to assert their lien in a lot of, if not all, jurisdictions. If they don't they can lose out, especially at a sheriffs sale.

This is why things like tax auctions and bankruptcies are required to be published ahead of time.

If they assert they will be paid first.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Motronic posted:

Any contractor can and will put a mechanics lien on your home that is senior to the mortgage as well. I'm not seeing a lot of difference in the lien part here. So I'm really not understanding the government rant,

Oh, I learned a new thing then.

So how do banks protect against scams of the sort where borrowers who don't have any blood to squeeze out other than their home equity, load up to or over the actual value of the house in contact work, for some later kick back after foreclosure etc?

Govt rant was just because I thought the only way to do that sort of thing would be to break normal procedures but clearly need to read more about these situations to figure out why decaying rust belt cities aren't full of scammers somehow mining bank equity from people who couldn't really care less.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

This is highly state-dependent and is not the usual rule (usual rule is a prior lien from before work started wins out), and generally lien rights are considered a property interest the state isn't entitled to gently caress around with just because it feels like it. You could probably argue something like the mechanics' lien attaches to the improvements ergo no dispossession of property, so the state law isn't unconstitutional, but that isn't the usual way it works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jemand posted:

So how do banks protect against scams of the sort where borrowers who don't have any blood to squeeze out other than their home equity, load up to or over the actual value of the house in contact work, for some later kick back after foreclosure etc?

Same place a homeowner who has a bogus mechanics lien put on their property goes: the civil court system. And maybe the criminal court system if its outright fraud.

Banks have teams of lawyers on staff and ready to go for things like this.

evilweasel posted:

You could probably argue something like the mechanics' lien attaches to the improvements ergo no dispossession of property, so the state law isn't unconstitutional, but that isn't the usual way it works.

Isn't this exactly how the PACE liens are attached? Which makes the insane amount of the one we're talking about immediately suspect and probably invalid.

Also, mechanic liens around here are typically itemized bills for things like "the shingles you didn't pay for when we put the roof on your house" in addition to labor so they can't be entirely argued away if challenged.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 16, 2022

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

evilweasel posted:

This is highly state-dependent and is not the usual rule (usual rule is a prior lien from before work started wins out), and generally lien rights are considered a property interest the state isn't entitled to gently caress around with just because it feels like it. You could probably argue something like the mechanics' lien attaches to the improvements ergo no dispossession of property, so the state law isn't unconstitutional, but that isn't the usual way it works.

Yes, this is what I found when I started searching around -- few states seem to operate the way Motronic describes, and in some of those states it seems that things like renovations are treated differently than original construction. That said, most of what I was finding were outcomes of very specific court cases written up as precedent, and there really isn't any handy "50 state list of superpriority lien status" available. My guess is it can't exist, as these things are sorted out in extremely fact-specific manner for each individual filing. But I think contractors in most of the country probably shouldn't feel confident about recovering a lien ahead of the bank when operating on a house with likely-questionable equity available.

Anyway, back to the BWM PACE individual, he:

Posted ~18 months ago, prior to getting the system, that it was the best time possible for him to get panels since the pandemic had meant that him, his partner, other usual residents, and another family member not usually resident had been home almost all the time, dramatically driving up their recent energy usage. Why did this matter to him? Well, because the program only allowed him to get capacity for documented usage over the last year, otherwise it was considered "energy farming" and disallowed. He very very soon afterward started posting all over MJ subreddits about getting into the business.

A couple weeks after the (very oversized) Tesla solar system was installed, it fried itself. Installers and power company were pointing fingers at each other and homeowner didn't seem too interested in really sorting it out. My guess is that the repairs eventually got added to the loan without his knowledge, at least doubling the baseline.

He continued to consistently post about grow operations, all but confirming that's the "business venture" all his cash is wrapped up in so that he has to go for a HELOC to fund his wedding.

Stated that the description of lien function was never anywhere in the "colorful brochure" he'd gotten, but he couldn't say whether or not it was in the 40 pages of "legalwork" he'd signed, and still never read, not even after it was super clear reddit was suggesting that the details of his contract solar work / lease / loan / etc were critical to understanding his situation.

Good decisions from day one!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

Isn't this exactly how the PACE liens are attached? Which makes the insane amount of the one we're talking about immediately suspect and probably invalid.

Also, mechanic liens around here are typically itemized bills for things like "the shingles you didn't pay for when we put the roof on your house" in addition to labor so they can't be entirely argued away if challenged.

it seems like PACE liens are using an existing workaround that is legally valid because the original lien was implicitly made subject to a tax lien. mechanics liens do not attach to the tax lien, they attach to the property just like any other lien (though sometimes they are very complex to file, more complex than the usual mortgage)

lien poo poo in bankruptcy can get extremely complex where real property is involved because it's a mess of byzantine and almost deliberately overcomplicated poo poo, that is incredibly state dependent and incredibly not standardized anywhere. mechanics' liens are one of the things that are pretty far into the "byzantine rules, varying heavily state by state" part of that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

mechanics' liens are one of the things that are pretty far into the "byzantine rules, varying heavily state by state" part of that.

Makes sense that its state dependent. I just have seen that much variance on basic mechanics liens from the handful of states I've dealt with them in.

......and I forgot my favorite thing that I've recently seen around here: a third party supplier putting a mechanics lien on someone house. As in, you hire a roofing company, they buy shingles and whatever from their vendor for your job, you don't pay the roofers (because they did the job wrong), the roofers don't pay the bill for your materials, and the supplier puts a lien on the homeowners property.

I have no idea if that one will stand up in court of if it's even going to go that far. But it just seems really, really wrong that it was even accepted as filed. The homeowner literally has no business relationship with the supplier.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jabor posted:

If that's true, I'm very surprised you don't see that happening frequently as like a sovcit scheme.

My mom's husband was on the city council for a fairly small suburb around the time that the Tea Party was ramping up. He and the other council members had to deal with a lot of harassment from those nutcases, which included them trying to put fraudulent liens on his house.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Motronic posted:

In states that have laws allowing mechanics liens, they're typically limited to pretty small amounts. Certainly nothing like the value of the home.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

7b) With the death of rail transport FedEx's share price quintuples overnight. Everyone involved in Delivr gets a fuckton of money from this.

FedEx uses a lot of rail transport so they would also be hosed by this.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Motronic posted:

What state do you live in where a mechanics lien is senior to a mortgage (not counting new construction)? That's pretty much never the case. A PACE loan is basically a tax lien which is why it gets priority.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
You can also use a UCC Fixture Filing to secure a loan for solar panels (or windows, doors, any fixtures). That’s how the banks I’ve worked at have collateralized their loans for those projects. It’ll show up on a title search (ask me about angry mortgage lenders who didn’t bother looking at title until closing). We couldn’t foreclose but recovery if you have a perfected UCC is just a waiting game.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry posted:

What state do you live in where a mechanics lien is senior to a mortgage (not counting new construction)? That's pretty much never the case. A PACE loan is basically a tax lien which is why it gets priority.

PA. And it depends on how it's filed. As far as I'm aware the theory behind it is that these repairs/improvements covered by the mechanics lien weren't part of the mortgage. So if the bank tried to take what was covered under that lien in a foreclosure it would be similar to them trying to claim that they get to keep/sell the car in the garage just because it's in the house they hold the mortgage on, when in reality that car is going to the noteholder of the car. The house wouldn't have the additional value of the lien without the leinholders work and materials, so the mortgage bank shouldn't be benefiting from that first.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Motronic posted:

PA. And it depends on how it's filed. As far as I'm aware the theory behind it is that these repairs/improvements covered by the mechanics lien weren't part of the mortgage. So if the bank tried to take what was covered under that lien in a foreclosure it would be similar to them trying to claim that they get to keep/sell the car in the garage just because it's in the house they hold the mortgage on, when in reality that car is going to the noteholder of the car. The house wouldn't have the additional value of the lien without the leinholders work and materials, so the mortgage bank shouldn't be benefiting from that first.

Are you sure? I can't find anything on google about this and that just seems very out of the ordinary and would cause a lot of lenders to simply not bother with mortgages at all in that state. I see a provision for PA where the mechanics lien is in effect as soon as the work begins so that causes some issues with new construction, but not a way for a roof installer to gain priority after filing a lien 10 years into a mortgage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry posted:

Are you sure? I can't find anything on google about this and that just seems very out of the ordinary and would cause a lot of lenders to simply not bother with mortgages at all in that state. I see a provision for PA where the mechanics lien is in effect as soon as the work begins so that causes some issues with new construction, but not a way for a roof installer to gain priority after filing a lien 10 years into a mortgage.

As I didn't consult google unfortunately all I have to go on is the experience of the actual live contractors I've known for many years who have been conducting their business for decades in PA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

As I didn't consult google unfortunately all I have to go on is the experience of the actual live contractors I've known for many years who have been conducting their business for decades in PA.

part of my job is "lol you stamped this lien wrong, its invalid" in bankruptcy so i can assure you that people with ages of experience can be wrong on how they work, even when large amounts of money are at issue

that said, doing some googling as well, I also agree that it looks like PA law allows a mechanic's lien to relate back to when work visibly commenced. if i buy a house via a mortgage and then have someone commence work i do not believe, based on my googling, the lien would attach prior to the mortgage. it seems pretty clear PA law relates back the lien to visible commencement.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BonerGhost posted:

Sorry, $70k for entry level with no programming background? Are they hiring now?

Im self taught and my first gig was 80k. I know other self taught devs who were pulling in 160K + options on their first job. It really just comes down to how hard you're willing to study.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Im self taught and my first gig was 80k. I know other self taught devs who were pulling in 160K + options on their first job. It really just comes down to how hard you're willing to study.

Self study cert is different, in my eyes, from no background and they train entry level.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Also I feel it's not nearly as much about how hard you're willing to study and more where you're located and who you know.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

My company just announced last week an efficiency change in payroll operations so that starting in 2023, salaried employees in the US were going to be paid every two weeks (26x per year) just like hourly workers vs. twice per month (24x per year) the way they're paid now. They gave very detailed guidance on how total annual party wouldn't change and how this would affect things like benefit deductions from paychecks, percentage vs. dollar-based 401(k) contribution levels, child support and garnishment, elections based on splitting your paycheck into different direct deposit accounts, and so on. But not everyone will read it, or they'll forget of course.

You just know come January, there are going to be people ranting about one or more of the following:

• "losing" ~8% of their take home pay
  • that they won't be able to cover their expenses or already have unchangeable plans based on being paid twice per month
  • that there must be fraud going on
  • the first paycheck like this hit on January 6 :tinfoil: :freep:
  • that they'll get a "bonus"payday 2x per year now on 3-paycheck months
  • the smaller check will actually push them into a lower tax bracket, or that it mean less goes to their shiftless ex-spouse's alimony :smug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean I always budget for 2 paychecks a month so that 3rd one just gets tossed into savings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tater_salad posted:

I mean I always budget for 2 paychecks a month so that 3rd one just gets tossed into savings.

This is the way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

I use it to buy something dumb that I don't really need.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tater_salad posted:

:same:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Getting paid weekly is nice. Makes it easy to do a quick scan of the bank account on Thursday mornings to make sure the direct deposit hit and expenditures are in line with expectations.

Oh god having a baby is so expensive.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Weekly paychecks sounds like pocket money. I don't think you get that in European countries outside of bar type work, definitely nothing salaried.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Weekly paychecks sounds like pocket money. I don't think you get that in European countries outside of bar type work, definitely nothing salaried.

Yeah, it's all monthly payments here in Germany

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EricBauman posted:

At a certain point, those loans will be from so long ago, and the odds of regulatory interest so low that paying a fine if anyone wants to look at the loans is cheaper than keeping all of that stuff.

Unless you're in a jurisdiction where the fines are sky high because they're really meant to drive an offending institution into bankruptcy, of course.

Then you just keep training new cobol programmers like it's some kind of monastic tradition and you're retaining the essential knowledge of all of civilization

I mean, I was just looking at some loas from 2004 for a regulatory audit like a month ago. I think it will have to be 20 or 30 years from now.

Plus a lot of those loans are pledged as collateral for a credit loan with the FHLB, which is extremely important if you want to be an operating bank and be able to borrow money from other banks or have a credit rating at all. We never dip into our FHLB credit line, but even having it reduced is Very Bad from a shareholder standpoint and a “we want to keep printing money” standpoint. The FHLB will require us to keep that poo poo as long as those loans are on the books.

BonerGhost posted:

Sorry, $70k for entry level with no programming background? Are they hiring now?

I will look. I have heard there is a hiring freeze but sometimes critical roles don’t count for that. Generally they hire these people in batches, so if they are going to start another round it will be advertised. I’ll send you a PM next week. I do not work anywhere near that department though.

therobit fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 18, 2022

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

I mean, I was just looking at some loas from 2004 for a regulatory audit like a month ago. I think it will have to be 20 or 30 years from now.

Plus a lot of those loans are pledged as collateral for a credit loan with the FHLB, which is extremely important if you want to be an operating bank and be able to borrow money from other banks or have a credit rating at all. We never dip into our FHLB credit line, but even having it reduced is Very Bad from a shareholder standpoint and a “we want to keep printing money” standpoint. The FHLB will require us to keep that poo poo as long as those loans are on the books.

I will look. I have heard there is a hiring freeze but sometimes critical roles don’t count for that. Generally they hire these people in batches, so if they are going to start another round it will be advertised. I’ll send you a PM next week. I do not work anywhere near that department though.

That would be great, thank you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Chipotle is going all in on selling food on the metaverse.

quote:

Chipotle will become the first brand to enable Roblox players to exchange in-experience currency for real-world items

quote:

Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) announced today it is launching Chipotle Burrito Builder on Roblox (NYSE: RBLX), a new simulation experience that will challenge players to roll burritos in the metaverse to earn Burrito Bucks, the brand's in-experience currency on Roblox1.

Chipotle Burrito Builder is inspired by Chipotle fans on social media who have compared the complexities of rolling burritos to playing a video game. This marks the first time a brand has enabled Roblox players to earn and exchange a Roblox in-experience currency for real-world items, in this case, a burrito or other entrée from Chipotle. Through Chipotle Burrito Builder, Chipotle will also become the first national restaurant brand to serve virtual food on Roblox.

quote:

CHIPOTLE INTRODUCES NEW GARLIC GUAJILLO STEAK ACROSS THE U.S., CANADA AND THE METAVERSE

quote:

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., Sept. 13, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) today announced its new Garlic Guajillo Steak will be available at Chipotle restaurants across the U.S. and Canada, and virtually in the metaverse, for a limited time. The brand's latest menu innovation introduces an entirely new flavor profile to Chipotle's menu featuring tender cuts of steak seasoned with the bold flavors of garlic and guajillo peppers. Earlier today, Chipotle became the first restaurant brand to officially unveil a new menu item in the metaverse by debuting Garlic Guajillo Steak through the Chipotle Grill Simulator experience on Roblox.

Chipotle premiered its new menu innovation on Roblox today at 7am PT with Chipotle Grill Simulator, an immersive Garlic Guajillo Steak Grill experience.

To highlight the culinary innovation behind Garlic Guajillo Steak, the brand created the Chipotle Grill Simulator on Roblox. In Chipotle's virtual restaurant on Roblox, Head Chef Nevielle Panthaky invites users into the kitchen to learn the authentic cooking techniques and unique framework of ingredients required to make Garlic Guajillo Steak. Users grill Garlic Guajillo Steak following Chipotle's exact culinary process and then virtually taste Garlic Guajillo Steak's robust flavors. The fun, in-depth introduction to Garlic Guajillo Steak in the metaverse is designed to enhance guests' tasting experience in real life.

Chipotle is also giving users who successfully cook and taste Garlic Guajillo Steak a chance to try the new menu innovation in real life. On September 13 and 14, Chipotle will drop 25,000 free entrée codes at 7am PT and 3pm PT for a total of 100,000 codes.3 The free entrée codes can only be accessed by Chipotle Rewards members in the U.S. and Canada on the Chipotle app, Chipotle.com and Chipotle.ca.

"By launching Garlic Guajillo Steak in the metaverse, we are able to share our culinary traditions and real food proposition with Gen Z," said Chris Brandt, Chief Marketing Officer. "For the first time, fans can discover our latest menu innovation from our head chef with an immersive experience that blends the best of Chipotle's digital and physical worlds."

https://newsroom.chipotle.com/2022-09-13-CHIPOTLE-INTRODUCES-NEW-GARLIC-GUAJILLO-STEAK-ACROSS-THE-U-S-,-CANADA-AND-THE-METAVERSE

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What does that even mean?????

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No one knows, but it's provocative, it gets the people going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Upgrade posted:

What does that even mean?????

What part of "an immersive digital Garlic Guajillo Steak Grill experience in the Metaverse on Roblox1" don't you understand?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 20, 2022