Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Also any suggestions on graphical settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tithin posted:

Is there a straightforward way to install windows on the deck

I put win 11 on an SD card but can't find any instructions to boot from the SD card, the only stuff I found was on the steam support page which said you'd need to wipe steamOS which seems uh, counterintuitive
To boot from the SD card you just turn it on while holding volume down, and choose the SD card. They only tell you to wipe it because they assume you're installing windows instead of booting from the SD, and don't officially support dual booting yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tithin posted:

Is there a straightforward way to install windows on the deck

I put win 11 on an SD card but can't find any instructions to boot from the SD card, the only stuff I found was on the steam support page which said you'd need to wipe steamOS which seems uh, counterintuitive

With the SD card in the slot hold the volume - button and press the power button. That will bring up the boot menu and you can select the SD card to boot from.

Did you follow a guide because you have to create a bootable SD card and stuff.

I'd use this guide

https://wagnerstechtalk.com/sd-windows/

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 17, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

Also any suggestions on graphical settings

This is the FSR2.0 mod for RDR2 which is supposed to help quite a bit. It does for CP2077 as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vu56ds/fyi_the_fsr_20_dlss_mod_for_red_dead_redemption_2/

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

All you people with weird texture issues (it's an autism thing, right? I always hated the feeling of paper towels growing up) should probably get a dbrand skin or something.

I think for me it's more of an OCD thing. I mean I do have some spectrum-y traits, yeah, but my friend (who has autism) isn't bothered by any of the textural things on Steam deck. The system isn't great, it's mostly the stick tops and the track pads, yeesh. Especially the latter.

On an unrelated note, what's the best way to stream PS5 onto Steam deck? I recall, up thread, people talking about some kind of app that's better than the official Sony one. Is there any kind of app store right on the Deck, and should I install the streaming app to the SSD because it's faster? I doubt that would matter in this instance. Wow these sound like dumb questions, I am sorry

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 17, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Gay Retard posted:

All you people with weird texture issues (it's an autism thing, right? I always hated the feeling of paper towels growing up) should probably get a dbrand skin or something.

I mean, for me it’s legitimate physical discomfort. It’s not a sensory thing, the coating on the joysticks feels like a really fine grit sandpaper and it irritates my skin a bit after playing for a while.

I probably will just grab some random silicone caps and remap the motion activation to something else and see if it helps at all.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vegastar posted:

I mean, for me it’s legitimate physical discomfort. It’s not a sensory thing, the coating on the joysticks feels like a really fine grit sandpaper and it irritates my skin a bit after playing for a while.

I probably will just grab some random silicone caps and remap the motion activation to something else and see if it helps at all.

Motion activation on left trigger to aid in fps aiming is my staple on PC with a DS4/5 controller. I don't find gyro as useful for other camera movement - but if you do want non-joystick camera control, using the touch pad for mouse look will be much nicer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I sniffed my vent.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Got my email yesterday! I was hoping to get it before my surgery so I could play while I recover in bed, but oh well. I'm not going to complain about a four month turn around time when some of you were waiting over a year.

For someone who used to use Linux on a Raspberry Pi a lot and transfer files to/from Windows via VNC, would that be a good way to transfer files to my Deck? Or is Winpinator/Warpinator a better fit? I'm mostly looking to just set up my roms through Emudeck, nothing really fancy.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the best way to stream PS5 onto Steam deck? I recall, up thread, people talking about some kind of app that's better than the official Sony one. Is there any kind of app store right on the Deck, and should I install the streaming app to the SSD because it's faster? I doubt that would matter in this instance. Wow these sound like dumb questions, I am sorry

Also, I use PSPlay for streaming my PS5 to my android tablet/phone, but would that work for the Deck too?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Chiaki seems to be the gold standard. It's in the Discover store in desktop mode.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Soysaucebeast posted:

Got my email yesterday! I was hoping to get it before my surgery so I could play while I recover in bed, but oh well. I'm not going to complain about a four month turn around time when some of you were waiting over a year.

For someone who used to use Linux on a Raspberry Pi a lot and transfer files to/from Windows via VNC, would that be a good way to transfer files to my Deck? Or is Winpinator/Warpinator a better fit? I'm mostly looking to just set up my roms through Emudeck, nothing really fancy.

Also, I use PSPlay for streaming my PS5 to my android tablet/phone, but would that work for the Deck too?
I've been using AnyDesk since that one goon mentioned it, but normal FTP and Warpinator/Winpinator work fine as well.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Vegastar posted:

Is your deck like messed up or something? I played a shitload of RE4 today and yesterday and not once did I fee revulsion at my steamdeck’s textures

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The sticks definitely feel bad, but to me it was more about how flimsy they felt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The grinding on the left one is the only thing that really bothers me

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Trying to wrap my head around Cemu on this thing and I feel like a real moron. Have they updated Cemu to any of the Linux builds yet? Or is it still the Windows version running through Proton?

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Chiaki is the way, as another poster said. Beware, though, at some point you need to get your PSN user id and it's tough if you aren't comfortable running a python script on your computer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

negativeneil posted:

Chiaki is the way, as another poster said. Beware, though, at some point you need to get your PSN user id and it's tough if you aren't comfortable running a python script on your computer.

Does it still actually work? All the tutorials I've found link to the same web script, which is broken as of a week or two ago.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Trying to wrap my head around Cemu on this thing and I feel like a real moron. Have they updated Cemu to any of the Linux builds yet? Or is it still the Windows version running through Proton?

I don’t think CEMU has Linux builds yet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They have experimental Linux binaries on their release page, but marked experimental. They open-sourced earlier this year.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you can build your own CEMU linux 2.0 on the deck, but that requires either unlocking the OS or making a distrobox with all of the libraries you need

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Papercut posted:

Does it still actually work? All the tutorials I've found link to the same web script, which is broken as of a week or two ago.

The Chiaki repository (https://sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/) mentions obtaining the PSN AccountID with https://git.sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/tree/HEAD/scripts/psn-account-id.py and I just tried that and it works. It's not the smoothest experience but you only have to do it once.

e: if you don't know how to use it: download the script to your computer/Deck and run it with "python psn-account-id.py" from the folder where you downloaded it. Then follow the instructions.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My Steam Deck is finally on my way.

I can't wait to use it to play Kirby's Dream Land again.

Edit: Is there a GB emulator that will pass through the rumble from Pokemon Pinball?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Papercut posted:

lordfrikk posted:

The Chiaki repository (https://sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/) mentions obtaining the PSN AccountID with https://git.sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/tree/HEAD/scripts/psn-account-id.py and I just tried that and it works. It's not the smoothest experience but you only have to do it once.

e: if you don't know how to use it: download the script to your computer/Deck and run it with "python psn-account-id.py" from the folder where you downloaded it. Then follow the instructions.
I did something similar a few days ago since the web tool thing was broken. I think what I used was a little different but had fairly simple instructions. I'll see if I can find it.

E: https://gist.github.com/vinnymac/e94d89e2881ef76167440a60b0a067d6

This wasn't too bad in chrome for somebody who doesn't know jack poo poo about scripts or linux.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 17, 2022

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

After checking force compatibility on New Vegas, I unchecked it, restarted the deck, and the controls now work as they should. Strange but I’ll take it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

fadam posted:

Is your deck like messed up or something? I played a shitload of RE4 today and yesterday and not once did I fee revulsion at my steamdeck’s textures

Just incredible that “the thumb stick texture makes my thumbs a little itchy and irritated” means you have undiagnosed autism and feel revulsed by a video game console. gently caress me for having a minor inconvenience and asking for advice, I guess.

I bought the stupid PrO gAmEr thumb stick covers and it’s much better now. Motion controls seem to even activate with them on, though I’m worried the sensitivity will be worse. Probably just gonna remap the activation anyway to be safe. Deck still good.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I made a preorder on a whim months ago for the 512... I am busy now so I don't know if I will have time to play with it for the next few months. Should I let the preorder go or have it sit unused in my closet while I finish up dumb poo poo for work?

The idea of playing Shadow of Mordor/War and Hitman on a portable device sounds like a magical dream...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rusty Kettle posted:

I made a preorder on a whim months ago for the 512... I am busy now so I don't know if I will have time to play with it for the next few months. Should I let the preorder go or have it sit unused in my closet while I finish up dumb poo poo for work?

The idea of playing Shadow of Mordor/War and Hitman on a portable device sounds like a magical dream...

I mean, the queue is probably going to get shorter, so you aren't condemning yourself to a year of waiting. On the other hand you don't need a *lot* of time to play Vampire Survivors on your Vampire Survivors Machine. So I'd say if you have the money easily and it's no big deal to you, get it. If it's a stretch or you could use the cash for other stuff, don't, think it over and get it later.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

HopperUK posted:

I mean, the queue is probably going to get shorter, so you aren't condemning yourself to a year of waiting. On the other hand you don't need a *lot* of time to play Vampire Survivors on your Vampire Survivors Machine. So I'd say if you have the money easily and it's no big deal to you, get it. If it's a stretch or you could use the cash for other stuff, don't, think it over and get it later.

Good advice. Thank you! I'm glad the queue is getting shorter.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
If you fall asleep in bed with your Deck it will politely finish your game of Vampire Survivors and then turn itself off and I'm puzzled that this is my life now, but quite pleased.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up my boss's steam deck

It's lighter than I expected
It feels like cheap plastic on the grips
The touch screen is more responsive than I thought it would be
The size isn't as big as I expected

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Opopanax posted:

The sticks definitely feel bad, but to me it was more about how flimsy they felt

I honestly (as with normal controllers too) have more of an issue with the abxy buttons beeing like that. Does give more involuntary or missed inputs due to cheap feedback but not bad enough to be overly upset about it.

Texture of the trackpads isn't great for me as well, have that problem with uncomfy laptops too though. Might gets better once I find time to configure it properly though so distances get smaller.

it also seems to heavily differ between Decks. Like my Steam button and the corresponding button on the other side have now zero feedback and I can't tell when they're really pressed, which wasn't the case with my first Deck I got in March but had to RMA.

All buttons on top were better. Sticks and shoulder/back buttons were about the same.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

God drat this thread. I got my Deck, set it up and SNIFFED THE VENT.

It does smell odd.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Perfectly normal

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Anyone play Helldivers on the deck? It's been sitting in my wish list forever and it's on sale again.
Pretty nice looking twin stick shooter that feels like it should be a solid upgrade to Vampire Survivors

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I must've burned off all the feeling in my fingertips while soldering in my younger days. Definitely not sensitive enough to care about plastic textures.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

I’d get it because the battery lasts forever in sleep mode so the thing is always ready.

It’s a great device.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This is a pretty cool thing

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1570660603710296068

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kojima would come up with some clever ways to make the vent emit scents based on where you are or what's going on in the game.

I have a tracking number and it's due to ship on Friday. :yeeclaw:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

noticed this very cute and fun glitch where any time i try to modify the properties of a non steam game on the deck (like, say, changing it’s name to the actual name and not the file name), it deletes all of the properties of the game so i have to re add it to my library

has anyone else experienced this and know a fix for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

This is the FSR2.0 mod for RDR2 which is supposed to help quite a bit. It does for CP2077 as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vu56ds/fyi_the_fsr_20_dlss_mod_for_red_dead_redemption_2/

aw bummer I installed this and it broke the game :(