Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sankara posted:

Justin got tired of people saying he's looked the same his entire life, I guess! Now there's just two Travis.

You mean to say that there are three Clint's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Always have been.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I am become Clint, destroyer of worlds

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Keeping figurines in the box is absolutely not a new thing, with Pops it’s just way more obvious because people make drat walls of the things. They feel soulless.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
collecting funko pops is the toy collecting equivalent of collecting Target/Walmart/Urban Outfitters tee shirts

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vonnie posted:

How else would you know who it is?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have maybe 3 pops, and I took all of em out of the box because gently caress the world I'm a wild child.

I dont want any more, please spare me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Pops are loathsome things that have totally devoured all the shelf space for any other form of collectable at local comics shops

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Pops are loathsome things that have totally devoured all the shelf space for any other form of collectable at local comics shops

I love going to comic shops and having only half of one wall dedicated to actual comics

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
to be frank it's comical

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Could not tell you a drat thing about what they're trying to accomplish in Dust, but everything with Gus P. is still the best and the ongoing bit about Callan's parrot endears Clint more and more. He just can't help himself.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This makes way more sense. Still a clunky aspect of the system though imo.

the point is that it passes the authority on what info you get to the player rather than the gm. its helpful to not think of them like skill checks from dnd, which have a reversed authority, where the gm calls for a check when you perform an action.

its much more naturalistic to be able to ask "whats the biggest threat to me in this room?" and find out its the shotgun rube goldberg machine behind the counter, than have the gm go "make a spot check. okay you failed. dont worry about it"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You're not meant to speak the questions in character like they're doing in Dust. They represent the PC figuring someone out detective-style. They're prescribed questions because if you hit a success and get to ask one of them, the MC is supposed to answer it honestly and completely in a way that's helpful to you vs. a traditional Perception check where the DM can tell you a detail of their choice on a success, so they retain more control over what gets revealed. It's narrower but more powerful, and the idea is that it gives the players more control over the story.

Being limited to a list of options also creates genre, ideally, although I'm not sure if Urban Shadows does this well or poorly - there's a lot of bad PbtA out there. But one of the big conceits of the system is that it's not universal - instead it caters to telling very specific types of story. Giving the players limited options creates conflict and forces them to play to the mores of the genre they're in, if you do it right.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 16, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m enjoying Dusk so far. This may be may favorite of the campaigns after Balance. I think Erika isn’t getting “in the mix” of banter quite enough, but that’s to be expected considering your playing with people who have known each other all their lives; it’ll come in time.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i have a single funko vegeta (out of box) that chills on the window near my desk my wife got me and i think that's the best way to enjoy a funko

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

my sincere fear is that someone is going to get me in a secret santa type thing and figure "more falafel please touches computers, i bet an iron man funko pop would make the perfect gift" and i'll have to pretend that i'm not mad about it

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
I really want to enjoy Dust because it seems like all the players are really throwing their whole asses into their characters and are generally having a fun time, but maaaaan Travis is not good at DMing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i feel like "you're not meant to do it the way they're doing it" is a consistent problem with taz

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sankis posted:

i feel like "you're not meant to do it the way they're doing it" is a consistent problem with taz

its almost like none of them know what they're doing at any time in their lives lmao

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I think actual play podcasts can succeed when they either try to make a really good show or try to have a really good time, and the boys (especially Travis) try to force both at once and it falls flat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My sister and BIL collect Funko's. She got me two for Christmas one year; some Star Wars prototype clone trooper and something else I can't remember. I guess my disappointment was palpable because she hasn't gotten me any since.

I would just sell them but they're not worth the effort, I checked.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Stuff like that which is made to be collectible rarely is as collectible as people think it'll be. I think there's some stupidly valuable funko but iirc its all like blindbox poo poo that was sold at a single comicon and stuff

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I want a giant beanie baby where the beans are Funko Pops

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

External Organs posted:

I want a giant beanie baby where the beans are Funko Pops

that's going to be the centerpiece of my new movie, Knives Out: But Bad

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
How come the brothers haven’t been made into Pops? Literally everything else has

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

How come the brothers haven’t been made into Pops? Literally everything else has

Justin is already turning into his pops.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was waiting for a pickup order at a local Himalayan place and someone at a table brought up MBMBAM. Her mom or whoever asked what it was about.

"Uhh, games and.. stuff. It's.. uh, well anyway that guy sounds almost exactly like Travis and.."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Funko Pops are literally just Beanie Babies marketed at nerds.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Funko Pops are literally just Beanie Babies marketed at nerds.

Yeah, the beanie baby collectors community was too full of jocks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yeah actually they will posted:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

yeah actually they will posted:

The primary audience of beanie babies originally was middle aged women wasn’t it?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
And the target audience for funky pops is middle aged men.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

And the target audience for funky pops is middle aged men.

Funky Pops is my favorite Justin character

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

(Not gonna lie, if I had a pop I'd want it to be of a rotisserie dickhead.)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

(Not gonna lie, if I had a pop I'd want it to be of a rotisserie dickhead.)

Gonna be hard explaining to the dr how I "slipped and fell" on that one

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bip Roberts posted:

Gonna be hard explaining to the dr how I "slipped and fell" on that one

the Reverse Amiibo Corner

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

TAZ is doing a DC liveshow in November DM'd by Brennan Lee Mulligan.

Yes, it's Dadlands 2: The Squeakquel.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was waiting for a pickup order at a local Himalayan place and someone at a table brought up MBMBAM. Her mom or whoever asked what it was about.

"Uhh, games and.. stuff. It's.. uh, well anyway that guy sounds almost exactly like Travis and.."

Never heard of a Himalayan restaurant before. What kind of food do they serve?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I swore off seeing another TAZ live show, but drat if that'd make me reconsider that.

They are good shows, but it gets grating having an audience that primed to laugh and holler at *every* breath. Fine that that's their jam, but it's like watching a Football game where someone is treating every play, regardless of the play, like a touchdown. A bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the live TAZ are my favorite; the live MBMBAM are my least favorite.

one of my best friends has the exact opposite reaction

fake edit:

the energy of the last couple live MBMBAM has been much better than the normal energy, though