Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Tolarian geyser is like the best common in the best colour in the set, I'd be snapping them up regardless of what my p1p1 was. I think I'd even pick it over cruelty of gix as well p1p1

Cruelty is an insane bomb, please don't pass it. It's a 3-for-1 where the three are your opponents best creature in hand, the best card in your deck, and the best creature in any gy.

In my last three trad drafts I have three match losses and every single one was because my opponent cast cruelty in two of the games. My draft before that was a 3-0 where i had a copy in my deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fridge corn posted:

Tolarian geyser is like the best common in the best colour in the set, I'd be snapping them up regardless of what my p1p1 was. I think I'd even pick it over cruelty of gix as well p1p1

Oh well, I guess that would have gotten me better than a 2-3, lost in the final game to getting geysered.

That also unceremoniously ends this set campaign at 22 events (shorter than NEO's 28 or SNC's 35), I'm out of gems and just short of having enough gold for another draft lol, I guess I'll go back to standard

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

In my recent run with cruelty, I don't think I lost a game where it got cast.

Its very good. Gyser is dmu's best common, but it's not as good as cruelty of gix.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

flatluigi posted:

yeah I scrubbed out of a few runs but I still got the full set with under 5k net loss (including getting my quests done)

would've gone better if I hadn't grabbed a deck off of arena zone without vetting it again. still don't know who the gently caress builds decks over there because they're always worse than what I can brew myself

my suggestion for the event is a lot of red haste 1 drops and cheap burn

Yeah the mtga zone lists are not good this time. No NEO spell lands and no fable in the gruul deck were the biggest things I noticed.

Cheap burn is good, and creatures that are already phyrexians can steal wins because they trigger the poison counters.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

PlayingExplorer just released a new tier list for explorer, and this time, there is no S-tier deck. They have rakdos mid down to A, and it's largely because of Abzan Greasefang. It's currently the 3rd most played deck, and has a 66% winrate. It might be the best deck for Liliana of the Veil right now. Those are the 2 A-rank decks right now.

Other than that, not much else has changed. Mono-red seems to have solidified into the Embercleave/Torbran builds. B tier is like half the decks in the format. Rakdos Sac, UW Control, Spirits, Mono-G, Jeskai Curiosity.

They did note that the only thing keeping UW control in B is that they use a rolling average, and that its play rate is dropping rapidly, mostly due to Liliana. It is entirely possible that it may drop another tier or even 2 by the next report.

Rakdos Sac and Jund sac seem to be merging, and the best version seems to just be rakdos sac, but splashing green for Korvold.

Humans just doesn't have enough gas to beat a resolved LotV backed up with other removal spells, and nobody is quite sure how it should be built, though Abzan is the most common now.

mono-G stompy seems to be well positioned, though almost nobody is playing it yet.

Dimir Control is a somewhat new archetype that is only rated low because it's pretty new, though its averaging a 57% winrate.

Omnath decks have gone 5color with Leyline Binding, and has a good matchup against Rakdos Mid, though its pretty bad against mono red and mono blue.

D tier - lots of new and evolving decks here, some have a good winrate but low play rate, some are crowd favorites despite not being as good.

Dimir Rogues - basically the old standard deck but with thoughtsieze and push
Mono black midrange - could have something here
Fight Rigging - low play rate, sometimes just does nothing
Enigmatic Incarnation - seems strong, low play rate. Leyline Binding into Agent of Treachery or Titan of Industry is fun
Golgari Rock - list is still being worked on, but plays similarly to rakdos mid, and you can play LotV so it can't be too bad. Right now, doing worse than Fight Rigging

Edit: This is all for the Bo3 ladder

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Qualifier Sealed Pool

https://sealeddeck.tech/R5J6VXww9A

Tough pool to crack, went through some brewing with Simon considering also Grixis for Sol'Kanar and Jeskai for Keldon Strike Teams and Lightning Strike as well. I think the deck wants to center around the 3 Tolarian Terrors as a win con if possible.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

A Moose posted:

B tier is like half the decks in the format. Rakdos Sac, UW Control, Spirits, Mono-G, Jeskai Curiosity.
Are Angels a thing in explorer?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Are Angels a thing in explorer?

not in Bo3. They're A tier in Bo1 though.

Edit: you could try it, but I don't think they show up in a significant number, or win enough to be included in the tier list. Angels seem to fold to any interaction.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 16, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
And another draft!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ef75802857145ea8497a918d82956cb

This was a very easy draft, blue was so insanely open, I'm still reeling. White is basically a splash in my mono-blue build, with the only other splash being Ertai.

I won the first game rather decisively, facing a Braids that tried to make me choose to not have my lands go away but I just kept happily saccing my excess.

I'm not sure if I should play Impulse over Take up the Shield, both cards I'd be happy to draw late, with the latter ofc less always-useful tho if I don't have at least some board presence. I cut Stenn who isn't really doing much for me, could make a Geyser and/or Espionage cheaper I guess but that's about it. I could see putting Bone Splinters in as a Micromancer target, and the manabase should support it (I'm probably happy holding on to it until I get my black). Not super necessary, I think, but a consideration.

Thoughts?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

A Moose posted:

They did note that the only thing keeping UW control in B is that they use a rolling average, and that its play rate is dropping rapidly, mostly due to Liliana. It is entirely possible that it may drop another tier or even 2 by the next report.

My heart goes out to all those UW players that cling to Teferi's robes like a baby's blanket. I can hear them cry out "It's not fair, my opponents cards generate too much value. I can't be expected to go down in card advantage to remove graveyard trespasser. I wish to sit behind my counter spells and twiddle my thumbs. If I don't play like this the combo players will run rampant, then you'll want me back"

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
https://sealeddeck.tech/uqH3JsoT88

Not sure how to deal with this pool. Everything feels so spread out and thin but no true bombs. My dumbass brain says 5 colors but I doubt that. I wouldn't mind splashing black only for the Urgborg Repossession and the Phyrexian Missionary if I use white. Green feels like the backbone with the rares and the power but even then it's still weak. Red has removal but that's it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, played and lost my first game against Nummy. Curved out real nicely and took him to 6, then flooded like Nile and he hit a trick to stabilize. Still it's neat to run into prominent players.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

My heart goes out to all those UW players that cling to Teferi's robes like a baby's blanket. I can hear them cry out "It's not fair, my opponents cards generate too much value. I can't be expected to go down in card advantage to remove graveyard trespasser. I wish to sit behind my counter spells and twiddle my thumbs. If I don't play like this the combo players will run rampant, then you'll want me back"

I looked up what Pioneer UW control looked like, since they also have to contend with Rakdos Mid and Abzan Greasefang, and its 99% explorer legal. The only difference I saw were some Yorion lists putting 2 Baneslayer Angels in the sideboard. Its the same deck. I suspect that a lot of UW players are just jumping on the Dimir Control bandwagon since UW basically hasn't changed for months

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

dogs...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pioneer just adjusts slower cause it's a paper and MTGO format. Meanwhile everyone had a full play set of Lilis within like 20 seconds of set release.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

This was a very easy draft, blue was so insanely open, I'm still reeling. White is basically a splash in my mono-blue build, with the only other splash being Ertai.

I won the first game rather decisively, facing a Braids that tried to make me choose to not have my lands go away but I just kept happily saccing my excess.

I'm not sure if I should play Impulse over Take up the Shield, both cards I'd be happy to draw late, with the latter ofc less always-useful tho if I don't have at least some board presence. I cut Stenn who isn't really doing much for me, could make a Geyser and/or Espionage cheaper I guess but that's about it. I could see putting Bone Splinters in as a Micromancer target, and the manabase should support it (I'm probably happy holding on to it until I get my black). Not super necessary, I think, but a consideration.

Thoughts?

Your white is very not good, aside from peacekeeper and take up the shield. Your black is much better, and you had access to black during the draft. Looking at your picks:
P1P1 - Stenn is not good, but if you're taking the rare because it's a rare, whatever. This is a pretty poopy pack, so maybe just taking the land is correct here.
P1P2 - You want to take card that goes along with your first pick, and you take Samite Herbalist. I disagree with this pick. Herbalist is a very (very) medium card, it would have been better to take the vinewall or the GU dual land. Again, not a great pack.
P1P5 - Take up the shield over essence scatter? At this point, you've been passed blue's best common (and the best common in set), and seeing another very good blue card in essence scatter means (at least to me) that blue is open (and it was!) taking the good blue card here is probably the pick.
P1P6 - you really want to make UW work despite not seeing good white cards. Tribue, shore up, dual land are all better picks.
P1P7 - At this point you should know that blue is wide open. There is no way a micromancer should be going this late - basically everyone to your right, except for the person to your direct left, has seen this card and passed on it.
P1P8 - Another signal that blue is wide open, the entire table should not have passed on this. To me, what that means is I should start floating blue cards in the draft and looking for a strong secondary colour while I get blue picks on the wheel in pack 2 and 3.

P2P3 - Let's evaluate this pick - so far you've got for white cards:
herbalist
take up the shield
stall for time
Stenn
These cards, save for take up the shield are not good

and for black cards you have
bone splinters
rager
ertai
UB dual land
these cards are not a ton better than your white, but they are better.

Why are you going back to the white well at this point?! You don't even take the card with the higher winrate, mesa caviller. I think soultender is the pick here.
P2P5 - If you are going to take white cards, you pass up a very good in Argivian Cavalier here.
P2P10 - Rager over drake, but you still aren't sure you want to be in black at this point.
P2P11 - Similarly, soultender is decent in UB as you can flip spells in the gy to get your terrors cheaper.

P3P1 - Tribute to Urborg here, but you still want to be in white.
P3P2 - The stats on DJ of the fountain are not good, but it is a big flying beater. I might have taken figment, as they are very playable in the blue spells deck you are trying to make.
P3P3 - I think geyser is the better pick, even if you are going white. You don't have a ton of go wide creatures to leverage this card, and geyser is always going to be great.
P3P6 - Vohar is better than figment
P3P7 - Rager or vivisector over herbalist
P3P8 - that's a very late tatyova, but there is no way that card is making it into your deck at this point. Rager is the pick.
P3P9 - Librarian is actually a very very good card, and it's way better in any deck you are making over joint exploration (which is really a domain card).
P3P10 - Why if you have a bunch of herbalists, why wouldn't you take faithbonder here?

There was a very solid UB deck which you overlooked, and it feels like you got very attached your extra medium p1p1 and let it dictate your draft.

I might try this with what you got:
Deck
1 Haunting Figment (DMU) 53
1 Academy Wall (DMU) 41
2 Soaring Drake (DMU) 66
1 Phyrexian Rager (DMU) 99
2 Micromancer (DMU) 57
1 Talas Lookout (DMU) 68
1 Ertai Resurrected (DMU) 199
1 Frostfist Strider (DMU) 51
1 Djinn of the Fountain (DMU) 47
2 Tolarian Terror (DMU) 72
3 Contaminated Aquifer (DMU) 245
8 Island (DMU) 265
5 Swamp (DMU) 268
2 Shore Up (DMU) 64
2 Timely Interference (DMU) 70
1 Bone Splinters (DMU) 83
2 Impulse (DMU) 55
1 Phyrexian Espionage (DMU) 60
2 Tolarian Geyser (DMU) 71
1 Protect the Negotiators

I would be tempted to run 16 lands with all that card draw and very little in the way of colour requirements for your second colour.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

^ thanks a lot, I'm about to head off to bed, I'll definitely go back to this post

Waffleopolis posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/uqH3JsoT88

Not sure how to deal with this pool. Everything feels so spread out and thin but no true bombs. My dumbass brain says 5 colors but I doubt that. I wouldn't mind splashing black only for the Urgborg Repossession and the Phyrexian Missionary if I use white. Green feels like the backbone with the rares and the power but even then it's still weak. Red has removal but that's it.
https://sealeddeck.tech/VnwRJo7I90

looks sick imo. Just go full stupid with the Domain payoffs. Great GW base and just play all your poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

PlayingExplorer just released a new tier list for explorer,

their greasefang list going to 2 sky sovs in the 75 is not surprising, it's an utter smashing against creature decks when you can't just win with P2. I'm really glad to see glowspore shaman go. corpse churn is great tech against instant speed gy removal (plus you can hold up grisly salvage at the same time).

no kalitas in RB midrange seems pretty loving Wrong, though sheoldred letting you cast infernal grasp more freely is neat. hitesugu consumes all is a fun card and I'm glad to see it show up in the board. I'm curious what the right number of pw's is in the main of rb midrange. I feel like I want the full 4 Chandra in the 75

also, we need to inspect the brains of rock players. for science

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Playing mono R or what? I'm a sucker for stained glass cosmetics but also don't want to spend 10,000 gold getting them all

Yep, mono R.

I tried a few different approaches, my best attempt was mono R built by going through my collection for red creatures with haste, double strike, or flying, then backing it up with targeted damage.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Went 0-2 in my first sleeper agents event, but pulled Sheoldred. Very tempted to just stop right there.

Built Rakdos haste/menace with all the 1- and 2-mana removal spells from B and R. First game was close and punted the second game.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Thoughts?

TUtS is gas and impulse is filler there's not a contest there. I do think impulse is better than untimely interference, you don't have red for kicker and all your stuff is low toughness, not many combats -1 power is going to win decisively. I guess you can play just one to get a redraw out of micromancer?

I always feel like people are reading a different card when they want to play bone splinters. Its awful unless you have "free" sources of creatures. Trading two of your cards for one of your opponents is not a winning game plan.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kalel posted:

their greasefang list going to 2 sky sovs in the 75 is not surprising, it's an utter smashing against creature decks when you can't just win with P2. I'm really glad to see glowspore shaman go. corpse churn is great tech against instant speed gy removal (plus you can hold up grisly salvage at the same time).

no kalitas in RB midrange seems pretty loving Wrong, though sheoldred letting you cast infernal grasp more freely is neat. hitesugu consumes all is a fun card and I'm glad to see it show up in the board. I'm curious what the right number of pw's is in the main of rb midrange. I feel like I want the full 4 Chandra in the 75

also, we need to inspect the brains of rock players. for science

For a second I thought you were meant Rakdos players have rocks for brains (they do) but remembered the other meaning for Rock

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

little munchkin posted:

I always feel like people are reading a different card when they want to play bone splinters. Its awful unless you have "free" sources of creatures. Trading two of your cards for one of your opponents is not a winning game plan.

black often plays cards that either make creature tokens, creatures that give benefits when they die, or cards that want creatures in your graveyard (or a combination of the three)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
My opening opponent in the sealed event has TWO Cruelty of Gix’s…uh??? mods???

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

My opening opponent in the sealed event has TWO Cruelty of Gix’s…uh??? mods???

one of my opponents at prerelease had two as well. although he was a noob so the first time he played it he tried to "store" the second trigger for later use lol. He was a really nice guy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

one of my opponents at prerelease had two as well. although he was a noob so the first time he played it he tried to "store" the second trigger for later use lol. He was a really nice guy

pay attention Wizards! .... Brother's War gonna have Sagas that have "Read it backwards" on them that tick up instead of down!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shrecknet posted:

pay attention Wizards! .... Brother's War gonna have Sagas that have "Read it backwards" on them that tick up instead of down!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I didn't realize how insanely busto that card is until someone explained it to me. It's basically turnabout + timewalk.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Legit Businessman posted:

I didn't realize how insanely busto that card is until someone explained it to me. It's basically turnabout + timewalk.

Thinking through how it works:

You play it post combat to go back through your turn, ending by drawing and untapping. Then they have a turn where they untap and draw at the end so probably couldn't do much.

That's broken enough already, is there more to it?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Urcher posted:

Thinking through how it works:

You play it post combat to go back through your turn, ending by drawing and untapping. Then they have a turn where they untap and draw at the end so probably couldn't do much.

That's broken enough already, is there more to it?

Yeah, I thought it was just a wacky card where the turn is reversed! When the dudes from the 540 walked through that, just like you did, wow, that sounds busto.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Alright, good morning from the train!

First of all, thanks a lot for the in-depth analysis :)

Legit Businessman posted:

Your white is very not good, aside from peacekeeper and take up the shield. Your black is much better, and you had access to black during the draft.

[...]
I did actually take Stenn as a raredraft, not really intended to play him (and I didn't end up doing so). I did not plan to go Azorius from the get-go, but it's possible I saw a nice white card and thought "huh that's convenient" in a way I wouldn't have if he wasn't my first pick. That's one reason I went into white, the other was having convenient access to my Geyser kicker. Where I'd say the biggest mistake regarding finding the better secondary color was is that I saw so, so many good blue cards I immediately took without considering what other cards were in the pack; not necessarily saying that those would have been better picks, but I did miss signals for what was open and what wasn't because of that. I'll try to be less "haha! Slam that Geyser!" in the future, it's a good lesson.

Individual comments:
P1P2: just a tough pick in a bad pack, yeah. I was drafting this with other people and they did nudge me towards the Herbalist. I was considering the Queen or the Horse myself, I wouldn't want to take lands without knowing my colors at all.
P1P5: That's a bit of a personal choice, I really like tricks and I really hate playing Counterspells. I'm trying to get better about the latter, but that's where I'm coming from, evaluation-wise
P1P6: Is stall for time not a great card? I saw it as a clear signal that white/blue is open enough for me to go into it, and I definitely said "well it's obviously much better than Shore Up" out loud in the draft
P1P7: I knew that at this point as well, yeah
P1P8: with "floating" you mean "assuming they'll table, take something else with that in mind"? I did do that in Pack 3 when I e.g. didn't take a Figment early

P2P3: this was a curve consideration of Herbalist over Mesa Cavalier, I had a lot of 3-drops already. I'm "going back to the white well" because there's nothing else in the pack, or did I miss a secret bomb?
P2P5: that was a tough choice but I wanted something for the two Micromancers to find

P3P1: I really like the Peacekeeper! Of course, if I had been more black at that point, I'd have slammed the Tribute. I briefly considered it but for me, definitely too late to pivot I think
P3P2: I did consider the Figment, but I wanted to try the Djinn and figured (see above) that the Figment would table
P3P3: I wasn't sure if the third Geyser was going to be good, tbh - I'm not great yet at evaluating which cards are diminishing returns ones and which you want to have as many of as possible. Also, when in doubt, I'll take the Uncommon, which in this case I also want to play in Constructed, so it's a semi-for-the-collection-pick
P3P6: Agonized here a little, but figured it wasn't good enough to have sit in my hand forever while I'm waiting for the splash to manifest, and I wasn't super impressed with it in my first deck
P3P7: I wouldn't want to splash for Rager(s), would you?
P3P8: uncommon draft, again not wanting to play Rager
P3P9: gotta admit, I just glossed over the Librarian. I gotta beat into my head that it's not a) the other Construct that filters mana and b) much better than Chrome Cat was in this format
P3P10: I think Faithbonder is terrible tbh but I see your point that it synergizes well with the Herbs

Regarding your deck: so you're basically arguing that Rager and Bone Splinters are better than Take up the Shield, the 3/3 Vigilance dude, Stall for Time, and the kickers on three cards? Gotta say I'm not keen on that.

I should probably try 16 lands, though. I'm generally into the idea of playing less lands, the "card draw helps" argument rings true and I was very lucky in the first match that kinda flooding actually helped me no-sell Braids.

little munchkin posted:

TUtS is gas and impulse is filler there's not a contest there. I do think impulse is better than untimely interference, you don't have red for kicker and all your stuff is low toughness, not many combats -1 power is going to win decisively. I guess you can play just one to get a redraw out of micromancer?

Yeah, the Interferences didn't really do much in the first match, it's a good point that I could swap one out for Impulse. I definitely won't go 1-for-1 on one mana spells and Micromancers, just playing one naked when I have already drawn my two shore ups would feel very bad.

As for Bone Splinters, do you consider double- or triple-blocking where you trade two blockers for their big attacker also not a winning plan? It's not something you build your deck for, but it's a play I'm very willing to take to get rid of their threat. In my case, an Herbalist that scryed twice already and then got walled by their 3/3 has done everything it will ever do except chump block, and I'd rather have it feed a 1-mana-removal spell than do that. I think people are way too focused on "every card needs to generate infinite value", sometimes topdecking a removal that costs you basically no board presence is exactly what you need. Hell, if they have a big threat, I'd happily play a Micromancer that sacrifices itself to the Splinters it just dug up. It's a 5 mana sorcery removal but if it wins me the game, whatever. Like, I wouldn't want to play Firenado either, but if the deck needs a way to deal with big threats, begrudingly in it goes. And Bone Splinters is much, much cheaper so you can play it along sth else, or play a bear and it to immediately remove what you cannot afford to live.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Had something happen and either the game bugged, or I'm dumb (I'm probably dumb.

I had a Kami of Transience, a Jukai Naturalist and a token from Wedding Announcement on the board when opponent cast Invoke Despair. Game wouldn't let me sac the token when it asked to sacrifice a creature. What am I missing?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Assuming there was nothing else relevant to the board state in that scenario, you should have been able to sacrifice a creature token. Were you playing on a mobile phone? Maybe the interface was preventing you from selecting the token

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kalel posted:

Assuming there was nothing else relevant to the board state in that scenario, you should have been able to sacrifice a creature token. Were you playing on a mobile phone? Maybe the interface was preventing you from selecting the token

Something was because I kept clicking on it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

was it highlighted in orange as if it was selectable?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
What alchemy is good for: breaking the mtg arena client
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuBMsBnYhDk

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

Something was because I kept clicking on it.

On one of Sam Black's recent streams he ran into an Arena bug that prevented him from clicking cards when asked to select something, he had to keep force quitting and loading back in while hoping he didn't run out of rope lol

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Alright, good morning from the train!

First of all, thanks a lot for the in-depth analysis :)

That's one reason I went into white, the other was having convenient access to my Geyser kicker.

Individual comments:

P1P5: That's a bit of a personal choice, I really like tricks and I really hate playing Counterspells. I'm trying to get better about the latter, but that's where I'm coming from, evaluation-wise
P1P6: Is stall for time not a great card? I saw it as a clear signal that white/blue is open enough for me to go into it, and I definitely said "well it's obviously much better than Shore Up" out loud in the draft

P1P8: with "floating" you mean "assuming they'll table, take something else with that in mind"? I did do that in Pack 3 when I e.g. didn't take a Figment early

P2P3: this was a curve consideration of Herbalist over Mesa Cavalier, I had a lot of 3-drops already. I'm "going back to the white well" because there's nothing else in the pack, or did I miss a secret bomb?
P2P5: that was a tough choice but I wanted something for the two Micromancers to find

P3P1: I really like the Peacekeeper! Of course, if I had been more black at that point, I'd have slammed the Tribute. I briefly considered it but for me, definitely too late to pivot I think
P3P2: I did consider the Figment, but I wanted to try the Djinn and figured (see above) that the Figment would table
P3P3: I wasn't sure if the third Geyser was going to be good, tbh - I'm not great yet at evaluating which cards are diminishing returns ones and which you want to have as many of as possible. Also, when in doubt, I'll take the Uncommon, which in this case I also want to play in Constructed, so it's a semi-for-the-collection-pick
P3P6: Agonized here a little, but figured it wasn't good enough to have sit in my hand forever while I'm waiting for the splash to manifest, and I wasn't super impressed with it in my first deck
P3P7: I wouldn't want to splash for Rager(s), would you?
P3P8: uncommon draft, again not wanting to play Rager
P3P9: gotta admit, I just glossed over the Librarian. I gotta beat into my head that it's not a) the other Construct that filters mana and b) much better than Chrome Cat was in this format

Regarding your deck: so you're basically arguing that Rager and Bone Splinters are better than Take up the Shield, the 3/3 Vigilance dude, Stall for Time, and the kickers on three cards? Gotta say I'm not keen on that.

So let's start at the start. You are vastly over valuing the kicker on tolarian geyser. All the kicker does is gain you 3 life. The bounce + draw a card is included in the base rate of 2U. While it can be very good to have a life buffer with the kicker, 85-95% of why the card is good is due to the base card. So while you might feel compelled to play white to maximize the card, it's absolutely not necessary to kick that card. Apparently some people think that you need to kick geyser to draw a card, that is absolutely incorrect.

Stall for time - not a good card. Stats put it at 57% wr or 0.2 game improvement (compare to take up the shield - 60% wr or 1.6 game improvement). Seeing that come through the draft doesn't mean very much.

You are correct with respect to the term floating, sorry about that - trying to float a card in draft is that you taking something else and hope the card you at floating will come back to you.

The draft comes to a crossroad at P2P3, and I'm suggesting that you've vastly overrated the white cards (and what the white kicker is worth on geyser). Everything else flows from that, and I totally understand where you are coming from as a result.

Lastly, I'm arguing that Ertai + black is better than your white, aside from the fact that you are short on twos. But the black is more powerful.

I think it's pretty marginal at this point, and it's probably better that you're running the white based solely on the fact that you have two drops with white.

Just something to be mindful of for next draft! You got this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's only been a day since I ran out of currency, maybe if this goes pozzy I will count it as part of the initial campaign lol
Event #23

https://www.17lands.com/draft/03684c2a0fee4bb2bdefb681acd0f2d6
I first picked Archangel of Wrath but it felt like I got cut out of white. I got enough good cards fed to me that I thought I could stick around, but those were mainly Destroy Evils which are still underrated by drafters? Do I really leave Archangel in the sideboard and play UR lol

I think this was the hardest decision in the draft? I ended up taking Battle Hymn but maybe the Amplifier would have been good, I was already light on creature threats (for a normal archetype, maybe in UR spells it's deece?)

Edit: -1 Thran Portal, +1 Furious Bellow. I kept the portal in thinking of Firebrand upside but thats pie in the sky thinking

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Historic Brawl is the only real format where you can play with Lurrus anymore, and my initial run with this deck proved so powerful that I logged in today and am getting paired exclusively against 5-color good stuff

Commander
1 Killian, Ink Duelist (STX) 197

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

Deck
1 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
1 Authority of the Consuls (KLR) 9
1 Esper Sentinel (MH2) 12
1 Curse of Silence (MID) 15
1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Mana Tithe (STA) 8
1 Leonin Vanguard (M19) 22