Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mustached Demon posted:

It's pretty easy to divide or multiply 2.2.

Not if you're American by world educational stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mustached Demon posted:

I should get me a sled to pull plates around my neighborhood.

I once had a realtor ask me to stop doing that while they had an open house going on. I did not stop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol “does he always do that?!”

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Next week :yeshaha:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

bomb posted:

Next week :yeshaha:

I just got done with this.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm finishing up a volume week. Snatch triples at 75% are something alright.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I had the fan on behind me today while working out. I bent over to set up for a deadlift, farted, and the fan blew my fart back into me. Betrayal.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I got one-settled by an old lady yesterday, she wanted to work in on my hanging knee raises. It’s weird that old lady trainers big dog that way for attention.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Got back at it yesterday after a couple weeks off lifting. Was hoping minor injuries (mostly tendonitis type stuff) would have sorted out but I can kind of feel stuff lingering. Been using Tactical Barbell method for a few years now...am considering doing another base building cycle this year to maybe heal more. Kind of afraid to dee the numbers vs. last month drop more though.

Also rolled BJJ for first time in a month today, need to get back.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I need to get a new barbell. This one's starting to bow in the middle.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
What kind of cheap barbell did you have that it would bend in the middle?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

What kind of cheap barbell did you have that it would bend in the middle?

I bought this at the start of the pandemic for $190.

https://www.academy.com/p/cap-barbell-210-lb-hand-grip-plate-set#repChildCatid=127308

There's a bunch of conflicting answers about how much weight the bar can handle. I imagine it was the 1RM deadlifts that did it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Time for a power bar (costs as much as that whole set)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
for my fellow bitchbabies who need their caffeine to be both expensive and candy-flavored, the MyProtein Mike & Ike Screamin' Sour Cherry PWO rules

get some today, before MyProtein goes out of business lol

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TenementFunster posted:

get some today, before MyProtein goes out of business lol

Huh?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
sorry, that’s my pet theory and i can’t remember if we discussed it here or a different fitness thread.

tldr is MyProtein/The Hut Group is run by a bunch of british instagram weridos who fooled a big japanese investment bank into making them think that - instead of just selling discount dairy production waste - they were about to become an e-commerce platform like a Euro Amazon.

The Hut Group got many hundreds to millions of dollars from SoftBank a few years ago, and turns out SoftBank expects to get a return on their investment. now that money isn’t free anymore, they have to make an actual profit selling flavored whey, and their protein prices have risen sharply after the SoftBank deal. THG is on my bullshit “tech” company death pool.

whatever, i’ll keep drinking that garbage

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 14, 2022

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

A $9 bottle of 100mg caffeine pills does me just fine. One of those 30 minutes before and I’m good to go.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kind of want to try the ten scoops of instant coffee Bugenhagen posted as pre.

But I'm not sure if 740mg of caffeine everyday is a good idea.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
740 mg of caffeine spread out through a day is probably fine but as a single serving no thanks.

I think I'm done with protein powder, too. I'm not in a situation where I have trouble hitting a reasonable amount of protein with whole food and whole food is more filling and more funner to eat

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

drink black coffee and eat raw hamburger you namby pambys

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
300mg of caffeine is what I take in my PWO. If I take any more caffeine within 5 hours of that I usually feel pretty bad

700mg of caffeine is way too much imo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

300mg of caffeine is what I take in my PWO. If I take any more caffeine within 5 hours of that I usually feel pretty bad

700mg of caffeine is way too much imo

Eh it’s only 14 diet cokes it’s not that bad.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Guyver posted:

Kind of want to try the ten scoops of instant coffee Bugenhagen posted as pre.

But I'm not sure if 740mg of caffeine everyday is a good idea.

Just add coke and it's hyphy mud which was Kali Muscles original pre workout

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So I’m a week away from my last cycle of RP and it’s been really great and I’ve loved it. I plan on doing it again in a cycle or two. My plan is to take 4-8 weeks off and swim/do kettlebell stuff and then hit a different program for 8-16 weeks before cycling back to RP. Does anyone have any good program recommendations that are 5 or 6 day per week body building programs around 8-16 weeks long?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there something really wrong with me besides being out of shape or does doing squats cause anyone else to have to take a minute to catch their breath after doing a set.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there something really wrong with me besides being out of shape or does doing squats cause anyone else to have to take a minute to catch their breath after doing a set.

Squats are a taxing compound exercise so that isn't unheard of. It could also be your cardio sucks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My cardio sucks poo poo so I'm trying to get better at that, too.

Beer league starts middle of next month and our bench is probably gonna be short. I'll be skating a LOT.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If you wanna be humbled at how awful your conditioning is, walk on a treadmill without turning it on.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There have been a string of dudes in the gym trying to flat or incline bench 315 and have all failed, they couldn’t even get it off the chest.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

KingShiro posted:

There have been a string of dudes in the gym trying to flat or incline bench 315 and have all failed, they couldn’t even get it off the chest.

Did they bring it down at a good, controlled pace or did their arms all but give out on the way down?

My bench and overhead are trash.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
It was a mix of both IIRC. At least they had enough sense to ask for a spot. I had to rush over and help a dude a couple weeks back who was incline benching with a broken finger and he lost the bar.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Gym egos are real

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just use the power cage ffs, you're benching over two plates no one's gonna scoff at you using it for bench. Silly people.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
It would be nice if my YMCA got at least 2 more cages with smaller incremental safety heights. Benching is kind of weird to do, I can't even do floor press in them without grabbing a thick pad to lay on because the lowest safety height is too high otherwise.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You don't need safeties for floor press the plates are the size they are to not crush your skull.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Guyver posted:

You don't need safeties for floor press the plates are the size they are to not crush your skull.

You underestimate the size of some Goons' heads.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Been on a program for three months now, all my numbers are feeling pretty good.

Ones I'm proudest of are my heavy days (versus medium and light), where my front squat is at 180lbs x 4 reps, my back squat is at 280lbs x 3 reps, and my bench is at 245lbs x 4 reps. 6 sets apiece, 2.5 minutes rest between sets.

I'm probably still holding back, but I'm abnormally tall at 6'8 and my lower back is a concern for the squats.

Feelsgoodman.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I heard a podcast the other day and it made me think… it was the guy from eliteFTS I think, and another self described washed up meathead, and they were discussing training at old age/for long term.

So EliteFTS guy says he has a list of 5 exercises he doesn’t do anymore, it included squats, overhead shoulder press, and dips, and I forget the other two(heavy bench press?). Deadlift wasn’t on the list, which I found interesting.

And it’s true, you usually don’t see old guys doing those with heavy weight, if at all. Just something that stuck in my mind now that I’m older. I see the guy on SquatU saying everyone should squat deep and so on, but he’s pretty young. I definitely feel my knees now.

Another thing I learned from reading a Stuart McGill book that seemed very controversial was that yoga isn’t a fix for everyone if you have back problems, that people with thicker bones will injure their back much easier when doing bends than lithe persons.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pretty sure Dave only ever did deadlifts when he had to anyway so no need to include them on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I like the episodes with JM, he's like the Bob Ross of lifting.