Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enos Cabell posted:

Started watching the Cyberpunk show on Netflix last night, and while it is kinda cool the dialogue is all saturday morning cartoon levels of bad and I'm having a hard time coming around on it. I don't watch anime though so maybe this is typical.
I've watched 3 episodes and I'm enjoying it. Are you watching in English or Japanese? I'm watching in Japanese and I think maybe that helps the dialogue a little bit, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Started watching the Cyberpunk show on Netflix last night, and while it is kinda cool the dialogue is all saturday morning cartoon levels of bad and I'm having a hard time coming around on it. I don't watch anime though so maybe this is typical.
I believe that people watch anime subtitled in Japanese because you can't tell its saturday morning cartoon levels of bad that way

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm watching Star Trek: Lower Decks right now and it's kinda got that annoying ADHD pace that so many modern cartoons have, but I'm still enjoying it nonetheless.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They just added White Water Summer. Makes for a hell of a double feature with the River Wild.

Too bad River’s Edge isn’t streaming anywhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

They just added White Water Summer. Makes for a hell of a double feature with the River Wild.

Too bad River’s Edge isn’t streaming anywhere.

is it not? i rewatched it on Prime not long ago

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

Edward Mass posted:

Bloc Party came back this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y86GEcmcnw

e: December 2021, that should count as 'this year' :colbert:

Already sharing the poo poo outta this. Thanks.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

Keyser_Soze posted:

you guys forgot Hot Hot Heat

I really like their transformation. Men's Needs is a great loving track.

E: Ah poo poo that's The Cribs

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah but that's kind of the point. Literally every single person, even side characters, are the worst people ever. Everyone is irredeemable and they just loving lean. into. it.

Yeah, I don't know if it would work as well for me as a comedy if they weren't all so awful because I'd be at risk at feeling bad for them. On top of their awfulness being funny in itself.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm watching Star Trek: Lower Decks right now and it's kinda got that annoying ADHD pace that so many modern cartoons have, but I'm still enjoying it nonetheless.

They do resolve that somewhat.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just started season 2 of Barry. Surprised I’m enjoying it as much as I am. NoHo Hank is a delight.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you haven't seen the movie, definitely check it out (it's on Paramount+). It's a great Paul Schrader neo-noir flick from 1980. Giorgio Moroder does the music and Blondie does the main song.

Thanks for this rec, I had no idea Call Me was a film tie-in song. Movie was great though I think it kinda loses steam in the last 10-15mim once he's in jail.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
New Reservation Dogs is fuckin great. You go in rolling your eyes at yet another director unable to resist making a tedious drug trip / dream sequence episode but he actually nailed it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

withak posted:

New Reservation Dogs is fuckin great. You go in rolling your eyes at yet another director unable to resist making a tedious drug trip / dream sequence episode but he actually nailed it.

My thoughts exactly. It's one of the better "drug trip" episodes out there. Show continues to impress with how good each episode is.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

HBO max has a bunch of great stuff on it, I'd watch it more if it didn't have such a poo poo interface and choppy video half the time.

So, The Man Who Knew Too Little on Hulu it is. Bill Murray plays the same guy from What About Bob, but he's being confused for a spy. I want to try living theater like this, it seems fun. Or terrifying and awkward.

e I did not appreciate this movie at all when I was a kid, this rules

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 17, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

toggle posted:

I’ve just started season 2 of Barry. Surprised I’m enjoying it as much as I am. NoHo Hank is a delight.

Barry is one of the most overlooked shows on TV. It's great.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
And Noho Hank should have his own show

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

veni veni veni posted:

Barry is one of the most overlooked shows on TV. It's great.

Season 3 is incredible and easily has some of the best acting on TV right now.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Barry is great and has wonderful acting and the sound design is incredible also for some reason.

i am watching the Harley Quinn show on hbomax right now and heck. i can't stand a lot of the low hanging fruit jokes and writing in general but i do appreciate a show that incorporates so many deep cut DC properties and kills characters you're not usually allowed to kill.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is this the thread to talk about Netflix's new movie Do Revenge? Actually I don't care I'm going to do it anyway

Do you have an undying love for the y2k teen girl movie genre? Have you ever spent time on TikTok? Do you hate the patriarchy? Are you a fan of Alfred Hitchcock's seminal thriller Strangers On A Train? If the answer to any of these questions is yes then you need to watch this movie. Maya Hawke and Camilla Mendes lead as two seniors at a rich bitch prep school who have both been done dirty so they team up and swap targets to take each other's antagonist down. The movie totally gets the genre its playing in and updates all the classic beats (the makeover, the tour of the cliques...) for a new generation. The two stars are brilliant, adorable and despisable in equal measure and Austin Abrams from Euphoria as the main villain Max, the kind of douchebag who hides behind fake-progressive bullshit and there's also a great cameo from Sophie Turner and the absolutely inspired casting of Sarah Michelle Gellar as the school headmaster. The soundtrack whips, the visual palette is gorgeous and the fashion game is incredible. It's super quoteable, the plot goes off the rails in the best possible way and if that wasn't enough for you it's also really really gay.

"You were the one who spread that rumour" I loving gasped

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Barry is great and has wonderful acting and the sound design is incredible also for some reason.

i am watching the Harley Quinn show on hbomax right now and heck. i can't stand a lot of the low hanging fruit jokes and writing in general but i do appreciate a show that incorporates so many deep cut DC properties and kills characters you're not usually allowed to kill.

If you're enjoying Harley Quinn I'd recommend giving The Venture Bros a shot (also on HBO Max) as Harley Quinn owes a lot of its sense of humor to it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How is Barry overlooked lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Like the queen of England, lol timely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

How is Barry overlooked lol

I've never met a single person who is even aware of it outside of the forums.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rarity posted:

Is this the thread to talk about Netflix's new movie Do Revenge? Actually I don't care I'm going to do it anyway

Do you have an undying love for the y2k teen girl movie genre? Have you ever spent time on TikTok? Do you hate the patriarchy? Are you a fan of Alfred Hitchcock's seminal thriller Strangers On A Train? If the answer to any of these questions is yes then you need to watch this movie. Maya Hawke and Camilla Mendes lead as two seniors at a rich bitch prep school who have both been done dirty so they team up and swap targets to take each other's antagonist down. The movie totally gets the genre its playing in and updates all the classic beats (the makeover, the tour of the cliques...) for a new generation. The two stars are brilliant, adorable and despisable in equal measure and Austin Abrams from Euphoria as the main villain Max, the kind of douchebag who hides behind fake-progressive bullshit and there's also a great cameo from Sophie Turner and the absolutely inspired casting of Sarah Michelle Gellar as the school headmaster. The soundtrack whips, the visual palette is gorgeous and the fashion game is incredible. It's super quoteable, the plot goes off the rails in the best possible way and if that wasn't enough for you it's also really really gay.

I started to watch it last night, and you're right, it got the genre. I loved that they played the entirety of the Clueless soundtrack, and plus other 90s faves. But It was way too long at over 2 hours, and I got fed up with it at the 90 minute mark and turned it off. I think I'll go back to it late tonight, but for a movie that claimed to be the next Mean Girls, it wasn't charming enough warrant that length.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wrong thread sorry

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 18, 2022

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

veni veni veni posted:

I've never met a single person who is even aware of it outside of the forums.

The only people I know that watch it outside the forums are people I've convinced to watch it

edit - it's amazing how good Reservation Dogs is and I loved the bigfoot right at the end of the last episode

Pimpcasso fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 18, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I absolutely adored Do Revenge so much :swoon:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pimpcasso posted:

The only people I know that watch it outside the forums are people I've convinced to watch it

edit - it's amazing how good Reservation Dogs is and I loved the bigfoot right at the end of the last episode

I don't understand how a show like this actually gets to continue

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I watched Black Crab on Netflix. It's cool. Kind of a near future war action/thriller thing starring Noomi Rapace. The setting that everyone has to work in is unique and interesting. I'm a fan of Noomi so whenever I see a movie with here it goes in the list. She also did another Netflix one called Safe if I am remembering correctly. I also thought that was a fun thriller.

I also watched Arcane on Netflix and that was way better than I thought it would be. The colors and design were really captivating and the world felt unique enough. The different fighting styles were cool. It's totally a spectacle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched Black Crab just a few months ago and don't remember anything about it other than people ice skating in the post apocalypse

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Arcane is so much better than a LoL tie-in has any right to be

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

veni veni veni posted:

I watched Black Crab just a few months ago and don't remember anything about it other than people ice skating in the post apocalypse

Put like that, it sounds a lot like one of those '80s scifi teen movies like the one where the kids play roller hockey and find a magic orb.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Arcane is fantastic, I've never played lol but I watched it twice.

Watched most of the imperfects on Netflix, it's terrible.

Watched the first episode of the new season of British bake off, it's still so good. Syabira <3

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nihonniboku posted:

I started to watch it last night, and you're right, it got the genre. I loved that they played the entirety of the Clueless soundtrack, and plus other 90s faves. But It was way too long at over 2 hours, and I got fed up with it at the 90 minute mark and turned it off. I think I'll go back to it late tonight, but for a movie that claimed to be the next Mean Girls, it wasn't charming enough warrant that length.

I just finished Do Revenge. Apparently I stopped right before the movie went in a direction that I didn't expect. It ended well, and I liked it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I started to watch it last night, and you're right, it got the genre. I loved that they played the entirety of the Clueless soundtrack, and plus other 90s faves.

This just reminded me how much Neon Genesis Evangelion music was in Shin Godzilla, and now I feel compelled to watch this and Shin Godzilla again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Where’s all the Searchlight Pictures stuff on Disney+? Is it in a special section or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Love is blind is one of the funniest loving things I have ever watched. It’s such trash

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gripweed posted:

Where’s all the Searchlight Pictures stuff on Disney+? Is it in a special section or something?

I assume that catalogue is on Hulu instead.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cobra Kai: 5 years in, all these characters still terrible at basic conflict resolution. It's Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood for older people.

Greatly enjoying this idiotic show for morons like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rarity posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. This movie was a lot of fun and the two leads were great. You can tell they had a lot of fun making this one.