Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dogpostin. This is Bert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What do you think happens to the mouse after you release it into the wild?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

HopperUK posted:

My house was cold as gently caress this morning. I'm sitting with a heated pad behind me and a sleevy blanket over me and I am comfy as hell. Not sure it'll hold up once the temp plunges but I can add layers. We're thinking we'll run the heat down at like 15C or something and then layer up. My mum is a disabled pensioner and I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on her. If she starts suffering from the chilliness I'm going to turn the heat up and tell the energy companies to gently caress right off, I suppose.

Yeah mine too. I'm kinda thinking of rehoming my cats, it's not fair to them if I have them live in a cold house this winter. That would be a last resort though. They'll probably just rehome themselves anyway they know the neighbours better than I do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Scientastic posted:

What do you think happens to the mouse after you release it into the wild?

I've heard they head west and have adventures.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

HopperUK posted:

My house was cold as gently caress this morning. I'm sitting with a heated pad behind me and a sleevy blanket over me and I am comfy as hell. Not sure it'll hold up once the temp plunges but I can add layers. We're thinking we'll run the heat down at like 15C or something and then layer up. My mum is a disabled pensioner and I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on her. If she starts suffering from the chilliness I'm going to turn the heat up and tell the energy companies to gently caress right off, I suppose.

I'm gonna have a 1 year old come winter this year. I dunno if layering up is an option for us as I need to keep the room temp regulated.

I was thinking of getting some smart TRVs to better manage the heating through winter.

My kid goes into nursery in Jan, and my wife goes back to working in the spare room for most of the day. I figure with smart TRVs we can basically just heat up the two rooms we're in periodically throughout the day, the whole house in the evening and then his room through the night.

That being said, the cost of the TRVs probably outweighs the bills that we'd get from having the heating on normally.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
If you let your room temperature drop below 16°C make sure it's not too humid because else you're creating optimal conditions for mold growth.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Honj Steak posted:

If you let your room temperature drop below 16°C make sure it's not too humid because else you're creating optimal conditions for mold growth.

Long term thinking about mould is something that bills don't care about.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Long term thinking about mould is something that bills don't care about.

High humidity in winter can be dealt with by airing out the room occasionally, doesn’t require spending money. As long as the outside temperature is lower than the inside temperature, that is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In the interests of balance, here is Frodo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Honj Steak posted:

High humidity in winter can be dealt with by airing out the room occasionally, doesn’t require spending money. As long as the outside temperature is lower than the inside temperature, that is.
Of course airing out when it's cold out is gonna be increasingly expensive.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Of course airing out when it's cold out is gonna be increasingly expensive.

A minute or two is enough to lower humidity without lowering temperature. Most of the heat energy in a room is in the walls and furniture while the humidity is in the air.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Dyalike dags?

(s'okay, it's a toy)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Honj Steak posted:

A minute or two is enough to lower humidity without lowering temperature. Most of the heat energy in a room is in the walls and furniture while the humidity is in the air.
Right, we are talking British brick houses. Yeah, not that big of a deal there.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

till the room is cold or just a few mins? genuinely dont know

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Jel Shaker posted:

Just a short moment until the air feels fresh. You want to exchange a large amount of air in a short amount of time so ideally you open multiple windows at once to create a draught and then you make sure everything is tightly closed again.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

Just a few minutes. You're trying to change the moisture content of the air, not the temperature of the room. It's even more important to do it if you're drying clothes in the house.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah mine too. I'm kinda thinking of rehoming my cats, it's not fair to them if I have them live in a cold house this winter. That would be a last resort though. They'll probably just rehome themselves anyway they know the neighbours better than I do.

Unfortunately a lot of people have had the same idea and rescues are struggling. If it's not an emergency - i.e. you are homeless - they might refuse take them. The cost of living crisis means fewer people are applying to adopt.

Your cats are wearing fur coats and will not feel the cold as much as you will.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cats only started wearing fur coats once they heard that fur is murder.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I used to live in a tenement flat in Edinburgh, which we were too poor to heat, and my two cats were absolutely fine over winter, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Where's the pipe?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh are we posting pets?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

A bit off the tone of posting pets but worth a watch anyway:

https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1571188447720652800?s=20&t=6ZfIwIxMunllcuGEg_GsUA

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Scientastic posted:

I used to live in a tenement flat in Edinburgh, which we were too poor to heat, and my two cats were absolutely fine over winter, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Cats have survived millions of years without central heating yes, but this generation of cats understand that there are houses that are perfectly warm and houses that are cold. I've already have problems with an old lady neighbour who would feed my cats fresh salmon and tinned tuna to try to steal them, at least they stuck with me through that.

Btw the police literally laughed me off about that. Apparently Cats are "property" and I need to "secure" them.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I don’t post here often but given it was my boys birthday yesterday, here he is for the dogposting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Apparently Cats are "property" and I need to "secure" them.
Sounds like bourgeois morality.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Btw the police literally laughed me off about that. Apparently Cats are "property" and I need to "secure" them.

Yeah, it's a civil matter. A neighbour took her cat to the vet and at first the vet wouldn't give it back because someone else had microchipped it. Fortunately it never escalated to a legal case but that would have been the only option for redress.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don’t post here often but given it was my boys birthday yesterday, here he is for the dogposting

I'd watch out for Kieth coming round...

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The results have come back from the lab and it turns out this is a good boy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nilbop posted:

The results have come back from the lab

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Hahaha wow

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Microplastics posted:

Oh are we posting pets?

Oh no not again

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Cats have survived millions of years without central heating yes, but this generation of cats understand that there are houses that are perfectly warm and houses that are cold.

Are you telling us you have snowflake millennial cats?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like bourgeois morality.

Careful, you're gonna scare all the libs in here.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

there we go

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Are you telling us you have snowflake millennial cats?

I guess, many modern cats hunt for fun, but would fail at hunting for necessity.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's good.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

at least it’s cheaper than a CAT scan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Careful, you're gonna scare all the libs in here.

Good, this thread has been too tolerant of liberalism of late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkY88kvkdvU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
haha, what
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1571183835609534466

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

smellmycheese posted:

Dogpostin. This is Bert

I am so pissed off again.

I want everything to be ok.

nothing wil be ok will it?

*peace out / rock on *

i want to climb inside your brain and make it ok.

that won't work today.

I cannot feel how I feel rn without violence.
I am angry but how to deal with this.