Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

its ok to like cool cars and want them to exist even if you dont have millions of dollars to buy them all imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MunchE posted:

Throttle House reviewed it and liked it better than the GR Yaris overall. People are going to go "aww but I wish we got <Car they'd never buy in 100 years>!" no matter what because some people just love the idea that there's some special forbidden fruit car overseas that we're just not allowed to get.

People are still grieving the death of the STI and they got their hopes in the idea that this wasn’t just going to be a replacement, but it was also going to be the car they’d always wished the STI had been

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

A Kona N is for 35,000 and comes fully loaded with heated seats :eng101:
Not a huge deal but what are the options like where you are? In the US we have one trim but missing a good chunk of options that are in other markets that have a higher trim available. Main things I've wanted were cooled seats, sunroof, and adaptive cruise, and there's a decent chunk of other stuff missing for the US.

As for the suspension, it's fine...not great by any means but usable enough, for me at least. It kinda depends what your expectation of "fine" is. I was coming from a Mini with the sport suspension option and that was somewhat on the stiffer end of things, and the Kona is comparable. I've driven a decent number of people around and no one has said anything really, other than when talking with other car people and paying attention to it. I do plan on eventually moving down to 18" wheels with fatter sidewall tires to help once I need a tire change though.

...I am also an idiot that never learned to drive stick. I left foot brake and keep my car in manual mode though, so at least I'm keeping all my extremities active :shrug:. I did seriously consider the GR but it was too far out time wise for me, and then the volume announcement (single digit thousands for the US iirc?) made it a moot point, no way in hell I'd be able find one anyway.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

japtor posted:

Not a huge deal but what are the options like where you are? In the US we have one trim but missing a good chunk of options that are in other markets that have a higher trim available. Main things I've wanted were cooled seats, sunroof, and adaptive cruise, and there's a decent chunk of other stuff missing for the US.

We have the full options, sunroof, cooled seats and adaptive cruise are all included, we also have a couple extra colors like this nice dark grey.

japtor posted:

As for the suspension, it's fine...not great by any means but usable enough, for me at least. It kinda depends what your expectation of "fine" is.

I am upgrading from 10 years old the cheapest regular rear end Hyundai Accent trim you can buy, that’s the type of car I’m moving from, is the suspension better or worse?

Does going over speed bumps and minor holes or uneven gravel bumps very jarring?

Also when listening to music how much does road/exhaust noise interfere?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 15, 2022

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

We have the full options, sunroof, cooled seats and adaptive cruise are all included, we also have a couple extra colors like this nice dark grey.
:911::argh:

quote:

I am upgrading from 10 years old the cheapest regular rear end Hyundai Accent trim you can buy, that’s the type of car I’m moving from, is the suspension better or worse?

Does going over speed bumps and minor holes or uneven gravel bumps very jarring?

Also when listening to music how much does road/exhaust noise interfere?
Knowing absolutely nothing about your old Accent, including how worn your suspension is after 10 years, I can't really say. Found this from a review for the 2012 model:

quote:

With MacPherson struts upfront and a torsion-beam suspension at the rear, the Accent is competent and smooth, but almost to a fault. Although it is wonderfully relaxed on the highway, the spongy springs struggle to control body motions. During aggressive cornering, body movements seem to boss the torsion beam around, compromising path control. Hyundai, however, probably wouldn’t try to tell you that this is an economy car for the enthusiast. The Accent is a serene and relaxed form of affordable transportation.
...yeah the Kona is gonna be way stiffer. I imagine everything everyone drives in this thread is going to be noticeably stiffer, with the Kona being among the worst of the bunch. Totally livable personally as my daily driver, just don't expect it to smoothly glide over rougher stuff like some of the more refined cars.

Road noise isn't great but music is fine. Exhaust depends on the setting, the quietest it's probably comparable to any other car (maybe louder as you rev up), while the middle/loudest will have a drone to it at highway speeds.

Not sure if the audio is any different among markets...we have a HK branded system, I've seen Krell for others, might be identical for all I know, but the EQ or crossover or something is weird. So there's a subwoofer...but I've only ever noticed it once. I only knew it had one from spec sheets and one day just going to the back and putting my ear against the speaker grill. One day one random song came on and bam the car was all boomy, that's the only time I've heard it like that. In general I'd say the audio feels pretty tinny, but apparently the potential is there, just not working for me and my music for whatever reason. I know the stereo is a common complaint but haven't dug into a simple fix vs just swapping out the speakers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

har har har once again arabian luxury destroys american frugality.

:smug:

japtor posted:

Knowing absolutely nothing about your old Accent, including how worn your suspension is after 10 years, I can't really say. Found this from a review for the 2012 model:

...yeah the Kona is gonna be way stiffer. I imagine everything everyone drives in this thread is going to be noticeably stiffer, with the Kona being among the worst of the bunch. Totally livable personally as my daily driver, just don't expect it to smoothly glide over rougher stuff like some of the more refined cars.

Road noise isn't great but music is fine. Exhaust depends on the setting, the quietest it's probably comparable to any other car (maybe louder as you rev up), while the middle/loudest will have a drone to it at highway speeds.

Not sure if the audio is any different among markets...we have a HK branded system, I've seen Krell for others, might be identical for all I know, but the EQ or crossover or something is weird. So there's a subwoofer...but I've only ever noticed it once. I only knew it had one from spec sheets and one day just going to the back and putting my ear against the speaker grill. One day one random song came on and bam the car was all boomy, that's the only time I've heard it like that. In general I'd say the audio feels pretty tinny, but apparently the potential is there, just not working for me and my music for whatever reason. I know the stereo is a common complaint but haven't dug into a simple fix vs just swapping out the speakers.

Thanks for this, I think the best thing I can do is wait for news if the GR corolla will make it here, then proceed to try and test drive the Golf R, Corolla GR, Kona N all in one go and see what works best for me and the streets here. who knows maybe by that time the latest Kona N model will improve.

I just dont want my next car to be a boring Cross or a normal- SUV like a tuscon, or whatever, I would like a nice small blaster of a car, but I'm also not rich enough to consider cars over 45k in general, I have a friend who got a Subaru XV fully loaded for a really good price, but drat I really dont want my car for the next five years before I switch to EV to be a 'normal' 'sensible' car, I want to say good bye to the combustion engine age with a bang! I wanna get a hot hatch, decal the poo poo out of it, have cool stripes and stuff, I want to be loud and turn heads. I wanna try and be like Initial D and blast 'Deja Vu' while driving through the city. there are other car enthusiasts out there who go the whole 'Challenger - Mustang' route but those cars are either too big or too expensive for me.

Maybe I'm being childish I dunno! I just figure since we're all going electrical soon might as well have fun with it before being normal and sensible.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 16, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Like the Savagegeese guys said at the end of the say it's still a Corolla which means it isn't as nice as a Mazda3 or as practical as a Civic.

Guess it depends on what you're after but as an allrounder the Golf (any Golf) is pretty hard to beat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

har har har once again arabian luxury destroys american frugality.

:smug:

Thanks for this, I think the best thing I can do is wait for news if the GR corolla will make it here, then proceed to try and test drive the Golf R, Corolla GR, Kona N all in one go and see what works best for me and the streets here. who knows maybe by that time the latest Kona N model will improve.

I just dont want my next car to be a boring Cross or a normal- SUV like a tuscon, or whatever, I would like a nice small blaster of a car, but I'm also not rich enough to consider cars over 45k in general, I have a friend who got a Subaru XV fully loaded for a really good price, but drat I really dont want my car for the next five years before I switch to EV to be a 'normal' 'sensible' car, I want to say good bye to the combustion engine age with a bang! I wanna get a hot hatch, decal the poo poo out of it, have cool stripes and stuff, I want to be loud and turn heads. I wanna try and be like Initial D and blast 'Deja Vu' while driving through the city. there are other car enthusiasts out there who go the whole 'Challenger - Mustang' route but those cars are either too big or too expensive for me.

Maybe I'm being childish I dunno! I just figure since we're all going electrical soon might as well have fun with it before being normal and sensible.

Ok Comboomer posted:

learn to drive stick you goon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
any reasonable civic/corolla/fit/mazda3/yaris/golf/jetta/etc from the last 30 years with a manual transmission can be tarted up and modded and made into a hot (or at least ~warm~) hatchback/sedan/coupe/whatever, but a dirt cheap automatic will never be sporty and something with a DSG will pretty much always be pricey by comparison in an area like the Middle East and probably only limit you to new/newish cars

You could grab a beater Civic or Golf from pretty much any era and, as long as it has a stick, build it into something awesome and “boy racer” and stupid fun, and actually have something that you could show off at events and meetups, put on social media, potentially race if you have that kind of scene and infrastructure, and so forth

You could keep something older or used as a hobby car affordably into the future and daily drive an EV

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 16, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i bought a 2010 ford focus vrx turbo today

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bowmore posted:

i bought a 2010 ford focus vrx turbo today

Nice

Ok Comboomer posted:

You could keep something older or used as a hobby car affordably into the future and daily drive an EV

Yeah, maybe you’re right, I should save up and buy something decent and nice as a fool proof daily driver and then later when I get some side cash get a toy car, in my heart of hearts I’ve always wanted a fiat 500 Abarth so I think I should be able to aim for that down the line, as it is maybe hot hatches simply compromise too much to be a daily driver worth the added cost when I can get a very nice n-line Tucson with the cool looks and guaranteed amazing suspension and all wheel drive for 6,000 dollars cheaper than a severely compromised full N car. I’m a bit of a sporty guy who likes to bike so having that cargo space would be really useful

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 16, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The 500 abarth is hilariously fun. Someone on my block has one and I laugh every time I hear it’s ridiculous exhaust as they parallel park it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just get an 8th gen civic si

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just test drove a Veloster N at Carmax. It's, uh, good. It does a few things better than my dear departed Civic Type R. I'm going to have a hard replacement choice.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Midjack posted:

I just test drove a Veloster N at Carmax. It's, uh, good. It does a few things better than my dear departed Civic Type R. I'm going to have a hard replacement choice.

my problem with the hyundais is the interior. just the hardest, monotone black plastic everywhere.

i looked long and hard at the kona n and just couldn’t do it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheWevel posted:

my problem with the hyundais is the interior. just the hardest, monotone black plastic everywhere.

i looked long and hard at the kona n and just couldn’t do it
Yeah this is a big knock if you care about that. I was coming from a Mini and was debating another with various interior options, and the Kona is just...black everywhere. There's a few extremely subtle light blue touches but that's it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm coming out of a Civic Type R with fake carbon fiber all over the place so it was kind of a relief to be honest. The handbrake lever instead of glorified window switch was a definite plus, as were the analog speedometer and tachometer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The XR5 makes some good noises, this is quite the upgrade from my Toyota Echo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Booked a test drive with a 595 abarth competizione, probably not gonna buy it anytime this decade but at least I’ll have fun for a half hour lol.

Speaking of, have you guys seen the new Dodge Hornet? It seems like a good alternative to the Kona N, cheaper too with AWD, a more generous package and probably better suspension, will keep an eye out for reviews when it’s out.

https://www.dodge.com/hornet.html

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 19, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone gotten their mk7 water pump replaced under the new extended warranty (due to class action settlement)? Currently at 41k on my 2017.

We don't put a ton of mileage on my mk7 (4-5k/ur) but I'm faintly smelling coolant and it requires a slight top off every 6mo.

Normally wouldn't worry about such a slow leak but I'm going on a 2500mi road trip next month and don't want this to fail during it. I'm ok topping it off but if I can get a free replacement I'll do that before going.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ve noticed the odor a few times and that the coolant level is likely a little lower than when I bought the thing. I figure it can wait till I’m at the dealer for something else at this rate though. But I get it, and waiting for total failure mode is probably unwise.

My little anxiety is that they’d count a replacement while still under the original warranty as the one replacement they’re offering in the settlement. If that’s their play, I guess I’ll stock up on G13 and wait for the geyser.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone gotten their mk7 water pump replaced under the new extended warranty (due to class action settlement)? Currently at 41k on my 2017.

We don't put a ton of mileage on my mk7 (4-5k/ur) but I'm faintly smelling coolant and it requires a slight top off every 6mo.

Normally wouldn't worry about such a slow leak but I'm going on a 2500mi road trip next month and don't want this to fail during it. I'm ok topping it off but if I can get a free replacement I'll do that before going.

I did. Went into limp mode on the way to work and I limped it right over to the dealer, no charge to fix it.

I was at around 45k and hadn't had any symptoms prior.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I was at a BMW event and they had a bunch of cars to test drive including an X2 M35i which is basically a hot hatch. That thing was a blast. 300hp, AWD and fun turbo noises. Surprise hit car of the day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Integra Type S spied

looks to be the same exhaust, and probably drivetrain, as the Type R

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ok Comboomer posted:

Integra Type S spied

looks to be the same exhaust, and probably drivetrain, as the Type R

But an extra $10k, right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
is it at least 250+ hp?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I found out I can fit pallets in my Fiesta with no problems. That’s pretty neat!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
xpost from the stupid thread:

I got a set of Tein Advance Z coilovers on my TSX wagon that make a clunking (?) sound from the passenger rear during side-to-side motion. Here is a clip of it as I rocked the car laterally. Any idea what this sound is? A loose nut? Spring bind?

I hear it while driving around, mostly at lower speeds, and not just over bumps.

https://imgur.com/a/xYBWdob
9/22/22, 11:44 AM

Vincent Van Goatse
Joined Nov 8, 2006

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

probably strut mounts, based on nothing but what you said.

e: after limited looking, its either the struts, or the strut mounts, but definitely rear suspension related. Seems to be a common issue.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 23, 2022

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Midjack posted:

We owned an N for a short while. Super fun car, very comfortable compared to my FiST, drives great and I think it's very good-looking. My only real gripe is that it came brand new with a glitchy e-brake. It would get stuck if you parked it for more than a day at a time. Get the blue one if you can. When we were researching we saw that our local dealership had two- one white and one blue- and some rear end in a top hat bought the blue one the day before we got there. Still salty about that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

We owned an N for a short while. Super fun car, very comfortable compared to my FiST, drives great and I think it's very good-looking. My only real gripe is that it came brand new with a glitchy e-brake. It would get stuck if you parked it for more than a day at a time. Get the blue one if you can. When we were researching we saw that our local dealership had two- one white and one blue- and some rear end in a top hat bought the blue one the day before we got there. Still salty about that.

I have a blue one with my name on it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Lmao at the copy on this page.

“Combining the benefits of internal combustion with the immediate power of electrification…”

“For those willing to dominate the road…”

No opinions on the car but this is Harley level marketing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Lmao at the copy on this page.

“Combining the benefits of internal combustion with the immediate power of electrification…”

“For those willing to dominate the road…”

No opinions on the car but this is Harley level marketing.

Yeah it’s very strange how there’s no test drive footage yet given how close it is to release, but I’ll give it a cautiously optimistic glance in the future when reviewers get their hands on it. Still I’m glad someone else is gunning for the wierd Kona N sweet spot with better features and a lower price. Alfa Romeo drive trains is nothing to sneeze at.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah it’s very strange how there’s no test drive footage yet given how close it is to release, but I’ll give it a cautiously optimistic glance in the future when reviewers get their hands on it. Still I’m glad someone else is gunning for the wierd Kona N sweet spot with better features and a lower price. Alfa Romeo drive trains is nothing to sneeze at.

The kona is pretty small even by compact SUV standards. It also rides like complete poo poo and the interior is extremely cheap feeling. I test drove one back to back with a base GTI and the difference was shocking. It may be a bit quicker than the GTI in a straight line, but that's about the only thing it has going for it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

The kona is pretty small even by compact SUV standards. It also rides like complete poo poo and the interior is extremely cheap feeling. I test drove one back to back with a base GTI and the difference was shocking. It may be a bit quicker than the GTI in a straight line, but that's about the only thing it has going for it.

Yeah which is why I’m glad there are more options, Dodge is a good muscle car company and since this is a rebadged Alfa Romeo it will be a little bit cushier and from what I’m reading the features are better than the Kona N for cheaper, and it’s all wheel drive, the only real thing to find out once reviewers get their hands on it is the suspension, if it passes muster and is better I will definitely put the dodge hornet on my shortlist.

I checked out the specs of the hornet and the options, and it seems like for the same price as a Kona N you can get a much MUCH better car features-tech-perfomance wise with the added Scat Pack and GT Plus Tech upgrades.

Guess we’ll wait and see!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 24, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It's a crossover tho.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

nitsuga posted:

It's a crossover tho.

In places like the arab gulf where there’s a plethora of speed bumps and uneven paved roads, a crossover with AWD is too practical an option to overlook. The streets are good but they are nowhere near the perfect flat you see in Europe.

Also cross overs are within my budget of being under 35,000 dollars, the golf R is double that price here, price adjusted a golf R costs 53,000 dollars. I really only have one financial shot at a car for the next several years so I’d like to get something that’s fun without too many compromises.

Anyways we’ll see six months from now when the reviews are out what people think of it, it might be trash so let’s see.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That's fair! I forgot about that ongoing discussion. I should really be used to there being no new hatchbacks by now, but alas.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I sincerely hope that is all Alfa and zero Dodge, because other than branding, Dodge can not make a decent car. The one thing they have is ENGINE BIG HORSEPOWER HIGH BIG VROOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

nitsuga posted:

That's fair! I forgot about that ongoing discussion. I should really be used to there being no new hatchbacks by now, but alas.

Patiently waiting for VW to unfuck the current GTI or for Mazda to do something interesting in 2024.