Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I picked up my boss's steam deck

It's lighter than I expected
It feels like cheap plastic on the grips
The touch screen is more responsive than I thought it would be
The size isn't as big as I expected

If your boss is making you touch his deck to see how thick it is you might want to hit up HR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

How can he smell the vent with a mask? Shameful gaming.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

The Chiaki repository (https://sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/) mentions obtaining the PSN AccountID with https://git.sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/tree/HEAD/scripts/psn-account-id.py and I just tried that and it works. It's not the smoothest experience but you only have to do it once.

e: if you don't know how to use it: download the script to your computer/Deck and run it with "python psn-account-id.py" from the folder where you downloaded it. Then follow the instructions.

Heck yeah thanks, gonna try it

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

I did something similar a few days ago since the web tool thing was broken. I think what I used was a little different but had fairly simple instructions. I'll see if I can find it.

E: https://gist.github.com/vinnymac/e94d89e2881ef76167440a60b0a067d6

This wasn't too bad in chrome for somebody who doesn't know jack poo poo about scripts or linux.

Thanks all I will try these things. Also sorry I broke the thread talking about the ~textures~ . Which was conflated with someone else's very legitimate skin reaction to the bad sticks. Let's all bond over a nice vent sniff :sniff:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

loudog999 posted:

After checking force compatibility on New Vegas, I unchecked it, restarted the deck, and the controls now work as they should. Strange but I’ll take it.

I can't tell you the number of times something has not worked on the deck the way I expected and then a reboot or sometime later it starts working.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DrManiac posted:

If your boss is making you touch his deck to see how thick it is you might want to hit up HR

I asked and got consent :j:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The newer links posted to get my PSN id worked :toot:

Gonna play the poo poo out of all my PS5 games on this

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Suggestions on chill sofa games that run well?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Oh what is the thread suggestion on portable battery pack for the deck?

I'm doing a lot of traveling in October and would like something that could help the deck last more than 8 hours on a plane.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Dicey Dungeons

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tormented posted:

Oh what is the thread suggestion on portable battery pack for the deck?

I'm doing a lot of traveling in October and would like something that could help the deck last more than 8 hours on a plane.

The battery in the deck is a bit over 5000mAH, so something like the Anker 737 or 537 should be enough to get you over 8 hours on even the most power hungry games.

e: the cheapest you could go with those requirements is probably this Anker Powercore III . 19200 mAh and 45 W output (which is the maximum the Deck can draw)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 17, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Stardew Valley, Luna's Fishing Garden, Intergalactic Fishing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A lot of people really like this keyboard for the deck because it has a nice little built in stand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Compact-Wireless-Keyboard-for-Tablets-and-Smartphones/825916906

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

those little stands look too flimsy to support my beefy deck

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Has anyone else run into problems with Titanfall 2 and a dock?

The game was running fine, until I tried to start it in a dock with a TV plugged in.. Now it won't start with or without the dock. I suspect it's an origin problem, but it's hard to tell. Verifying cache didn't help.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Playing SMT IV at 2x res with an HD texture pack is pretty good

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
I can vouch for the lil keyboard with its puny hands. Holds the Deck great, even on a couch cushion or a lap. Keys click real good. I was using one of those Logitech typewriter-style circle keys, and it was both too big for couch and oddly sticky. This lil keyboard clicks good.

It doesn't have numpad, and the power switch is kind hard to touch and flop, but it was under 15 bucks shipped. We like the little boy.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I spent the afternoon playing Spiritfarer and catching up on Harley Quinn. I bounced off Spiritfarer when it released on GamePass, but it picks up pretty quickly to a chill base builder and management sim.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This new Disney Dreamlight Valley game has been fun. Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley vibes. It’s early access now, f2p at launch, and $20 to play now with Founders stuff. Getting good reviews all around. And you can chill with Wall-e.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How long did it take between ordering and getting your steam deck? I'm pretty sure unless we move 2% monday that I'll be able to order mine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Roughly a week (ish)

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I'm on my first road trip with the deck and I'm very pleased so far. I played Arkham Origins on the ferry boat from home and some Cloudpunk tonight in my cousin's apartment in NYC. I wouldn't complain about longer battery life but it's long enough that I can play my generally desired session time without fully running it down. So glad to have this thing.

Also I won't discount anyone else's experience with the texture and feel but personally once I got past the first ten minutes with mine and adjusting to the way you hold it, it quickly became my favorite "controller" so to speak. I genuinely enjoy the way the sticks and buttons feel.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

I did something similar a few days ago since the web tool thing was broken. I think what I used was a little different but had fairly simple instructions. I'll see if I can find it.

E: https://gist.github.com/vinnymac/e94d89e2881ef76167440a60b0a067d6

This wasn't too bad in chrome for somebody who doesn't know jack poo poo about scripts or linux.

this worked thank you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there a good equivalent to the Steam link app for macOS? It doesn’t run on the last few releases of that operating system because Valve haven’t made a 64bit version of it for some reason. Basically how can I remote into the deck in desktop mode? Thanks!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there a good equivalent to the Steam link app for macOS? It doesn’t run on the last few releases of that operating system because Valve haven’t made a 64bit version of it for some reason. Basically how can I remote into the deck in desktop mode? Thanks!

If you don't need to play games through it, AnyDesk should do the trick.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

If you’ve got an M1 you should be able to install the iOS app if you do want to go the Steam Link route specifically.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Intel unforch

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AnyDesk works, it's just less convenient because you have to start it up on the Deck first before you can begin streaming. There is a version for MacOS.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I can't stop buying games for this stupid thing. It's weird looking forward to steam deals again

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Crawl up your favorite dungeon.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There is some kind of AnyDesk on Flathub. Deck OS likes flatpacks.

Both AnyDesk and TeamViewer are in the AUR too but that's nerd stuff.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Do people play Vampire Survivors on the Deck? I tried last night and the bastard drained my battery like mad.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

FishMcCool posted:

Do people play Vampire Survivors on the Deck? I tried last night and the bastard drained my battery like mad.

No, seems like a good idea though

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How long did it take between ordering and getting your steam deck? I'm pretty sure unless we move 2% monday that I'll be able to order mine

I ordered Monday and it was delivered Thursday. I'm pretty close to where they ship from, only took a day in shipping. I ordered minutes after getting the email since I saw it pop up on my phone.

Super No Vacancy posted:

this worked thank you

Good deal. I haven't tried it much yet. In my basement in the room right below the router it was too choppy to actually play God of war. Is 2.4 or 5ghz better for the deck WiFi wise? Does it matter?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm can run Steam Link on my Intel MacBook with macOS ventura installed without issue?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

I'm can run Steam Link on my Intel MacBook with macOS ventura installed without issue?

:thunk: ok I’ll check it out, Steam is saying it’s not compatible

e: the version I got from the Mac App store works, couldn't get it through the steam store for some reason!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FishMcCool posted:

I actually don't unlike everyone else in this thread. But I think what you want to do is set the TDP Limit in the Performance overlay, which gives you a guaranteed battery runtime at the cost of performance during "busier" times of the game.

Like try setting it to half (8 W) and if the game still plays acceptably for you, you can try turning it down even more.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I actually don't unlike everyone else in this thread. But I think what you want to do is set the TDP Limit in the Performance overlay, which gives you a guaranteed battery runtime at the cost of performance during "busier" times of the game.

Like try setting it to half (8 W) and if the game still plays acceptably for you, you can try turning it down even more.

Ah, cheers, I'll give this a go.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I ordered Monday and it was delivered Thursday. I'm pretty close to where they ship from, only took a day in shipping. I ordered minutes after getting the email since I saw it pop up on my phone.

Where do they ship from?

I'm far east coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

worms butthole guy posted:

I can't stop buying games for this stupid thing. It's weird looking forward to steam deals again

I don't even have mine yet and I keep buying stuff because it seems too good a deal. My steam bacllog is going to be undefeatable before I even have something I can play it on.