Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do they ship from?

I'm far east coast

Illinois I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cartoon Man posted:

Illinois I think.

Yep. My tracking said Carol stream, IL.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Illinois I think.

3-4 days then for me, most packages only cross 1.5 states per day

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

3-4 days then for me, most packages only cross 1.5 states per day

I live in northern VA, that’s how long it took me from label created to arrival.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I live in northern VA, that’s how long it took me from label created to arrival.

You're closer to that location than me, I'm over 1000 miles away vs ~700 or so, so maybe get order monday, but don't get steamdeck till saturday/sunday

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

I did something similar a few days ago since the web tool thing was broken. I think what I used was a little different but had fairly simple instructions. I'll see if I can find it.

E: https://gist.github.com/vinnymac/e94d89e2881ef76167440a60b0a067d6

This wasn't too bad in chrome for somebody who doesn't know jack poo poo about scripts or linux.

Thank you for the Chiaki stuff, but this guide in particular was super helpful and easy. I only tried it out in the same room as the TV (and with no Ethernet) but I was able to play Nier: Replicant just fine.

On a different note, have others had issue with Emulation Station being slow as poo poo in Game Mode? Heck I'm trying to play Menace Beach over here and it's like molasses. On desktop mode, though, it works great. I can't get save states to work and I think that has something to do with retroachievements, regardless if hardcore mode is on or off. The rom sets built for Everdrive are great btw. Little bloat, well organized.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
In chrome, when I start typing in the address bar and the autocomplete drop down appears, I can't click any of the options. And if I close the keyboard it just tries to navigate to whatever I had typed up til then. What do?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Deck has shipped! FedEx says arrives Wednesday. I'm excited. Also, you can do PS5 streaming??? Amazing.

Is there any easy way to compare Steam and Switch libraries? Or to know what's available on both? In my quest to have everything mobile I don't want to be buying something on Switch when I can Deck it or vice versa depending on what I care about at any given point. (Also I can now compare all my double dips and cry about "wasted" money.) Someone out there has to also have this same specific brain problem, right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

overdesigned posted:

Is there any easy way to compare Steam and Switch libraries? Or to know what's available on both? In my quest to have everything mobile I don't want to be buying something on Switch when I can Deck it or vice versa depending on what I care about at any given point. (Also I can now compare all my double dips and cry about "wasted" money.) Someone out there has to also have this same specific brain problem, right?

Deku Deals
https://www.dekudeals.com/ will show you if a game is available on other platforms, as well as its historical price. It's great.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Deku Deals
https://www.dekudeals.com/ will show you if a game is available on other platforms, as well as its historical price. It's great.

Also, for the double dips, I use Rawg.io. You can set it up to automatically track what you buy (I think you have to manually enter Switch games though), so you can just check there to see if it's already in your library. That's saved me some money more than a few times.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

In chrome, when I start typing in the address bar and the autocomplete drop down appears, I can't click any of the options. And if I close the keyboard it just tries to navigate to whatever I had typed up til then. What do?

How are you closing the keyboard? if you just hit B to dismiss the keyboard it should leave the auto-complete up and let you mouse over to it

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
drat, FedEx says I may get the deck tomorrow, I just got the shipping email this morning. I'm in the Dallas area for comparison.

Also for those of you doing remote play PS5 stuff: my main screen is a 4K OLED for the PS5 so I imagine the deck screen is not going to hold up to that experience, but it may be worth it if the game isn't a visual powerhouse.. and I could play anywhere in the house... hmmm 🤔

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Bob posted:

How are you closing the keyboard? if you just hit B to dismiss the keyboard it should leave the auto-complete up and let you mouse over to it

Ah yeah I was hitting the icon to close, I'll give that a try thanks

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I can't emphasize enough how much Chiaki feels like black magic. There is no perceivable latency. None. You can turn on the TV your PS5 is connected to and control it with the deck and besides the ergonomics, you wouldn't be able to tell from a Dual Sense. The video quality doesn't look compressed, its great for 720p.

That's all contingent on good wifi and, apparently, hardwiring the PS5 via ethernet, though. I have mine on a Netgear Orbi with the PS5 plugged into a node. The node runs a backhaul signal to the node in my bedroom. At first it was glitchy with short time skips and occasional corrupted frames. Once I moved the node in my bedroom to have a direct line of sight to my bed, I've had no problems since. I'm able to play God of War at 60fps from the firepit in my backyard, although I get a glitched frame every once in a while. Insane value add that I didn't even think of when I reserved a Deck last year.

The quality of Chiaki and (to a much lesser extent Moonlight) are worthy of upgrading your home wifi for support.

With PS+ Extra subscription, it kinda took away any desire to get Xbox game pass on this thing.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 19, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've got a problem with my deck. Suddenly in my gamed it's displaying a system status in the upper left. It just popped up on it's own while I was playing.

I think it might be the performance overlay, but my settings show that as off and cycling it on and off did nothing.

It's appearing in all games but nowhere else so when I playing I've always got a block showing CPU usage in the corner. How do I get rid of it?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've had the FPS counter get stuck on before. Try turning on and off the performance counters "slowly".

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Double dipped on Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 coming from sales reecntly. Cyberpunk can run pretty well after futzing around with some settings but Witcher 3 is a pure joy and still looks amazing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any tricks to getting Elden Ring to run better than 40-50FPS?

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've had the FPS counter get stuck on before. Try turning on and off the performance counters "slowly".

Same here but rebooting the deck fixed it for me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This probably isn't possible but who knows with these things. I mostly keep it docked and I'm using a Ps4 controller with it, is there any way I can set it up to have the controller wake the deck up like it does with a console? Or does the deck have to be on first to connect

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Opopanax posted:

This probably isn't possible but who knows with these things. I mostly keep it docked and I'm using a Ps4 controller with it, is there any way I can set it up to have the controller wake the deck up like it does with a console? Or does the deck have to be on first to connect

Short answer: no
long answer: no, because when the deck goes to sleep, it actually sleeps, instead of the half fugue state that the PS4 goes into

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

fadam posted:

Any tricks to getting Elden Ring to run better than 40-50FPS?

No. Even 40fps is not really stable. If you want steady frame pacing stick to 30fps. I’ve made peace that the Deck is best for older Geforce 970 era games if you can’t stand lower framerates. Which is fine because there are a lot of excellent games from that era that are just as good as the stuff coming out today.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Ok finally got mine after getting it delivered to the Uk and waiting for friends to visit and bring it with.

Just in time for a flare up of tennis elbow thats been plaguing me... any suggestions for games that can be played well with primarily mouse input?

Ps. Cant help but sniff the fan- that thing is kicking out a right pong!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Ok finally got mine after getting it delivered to the Uk and waiting for friends to visit and bring it with.

Just in time for a flare up of tennis elbow thats been plaguing me... any suggestions for games that can be played well with primarily mouse input?

Ps. Cant help but sniff the fan- that thing is kicking out a right pong!
My goto game for just wanting to click on poo poo is Islanders, which is also like, $5. Oxygen Not Included, Rimworld, and Civ 6 all play really well on Deck and can be as mouse controlled as you want them to be.

Don't forget also, that you can get away with a lot of poo poo wrt rebinding inputs. There's a ton of games that you can make pretty reasonable one handed input schemes for between the grip buttons and the touchpad. Pretty much any VN, RPG, turn based game, even some other slower paced games, aren't hard at all to make one handed.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Nearing the end of FF7R and while the game itself has been a slog at parts (going through the same sewer sections over and over again) I'm still so impressed by how well it runs and how great it looks on the Deck.
Next up: Yakuza 6.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I actually don't unlike everyone else in this thread. But I think what you want to do is set the TDP Limit in the Performance overlay, which gives you a guaranteed battery runtime at the cost of performance during "busier" times of the game.

Like try setting it to half (8 W) and if the game still plays acceptably for you, you can try turning it down even more.

Update on this and that totally sorted it. Hadn't bothered with wattage yet (only refresh/frame rate), but I'll have it in mind next time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Look like Valve's just made a huge improvement to the virtual menus on the Deck's version of Steam Input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vorhbmYIFpg

Not showing up on mine, so I think it's in a beta branch, which I'm not signed up to.

I spent ages setting up menus like this for Mass Effect 1 with the Steam Controller when that first came out, I recently took my Deck with me on vacation and was disappointed with the state of the menus when I tried to set them up for Final Fantasy XIV.
Looks like all my problems have been addressed!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I haven't tried menus yet (this may be why) but I'm continually impressed by Steam Input. Excited to see how this turns out.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Seems like a game like Guild Wars 2 would be pretty great on the deck with this sort of thing. Pretty cool. Voice to text would be something I'd like to see as well, since so much of that sort of game involves typing in a chat box

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Veotax posted:

Look like Valve's just made a huge improvement to the virtual menus on the Deck's version of Steam Input.

Not showing up on mine, so I think it's in a beta branch, which I'm not signed up to.

I spent ages setting up menus like this for Mass Effect 1 with the Steam Controller when that first came out, I recently took my Deck with me on vacation and was disappointed with the state of the menus when I tried to set them up for Final Fantasy XIV.

That looks awesome. Much preferable to assigning functions to the back buttons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Veotax posted:

OK yeah this is pretty legit looking.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

That looks awesome. Much preferable to assigning functions to the back buttons.

This is largely already there on the current version of the Deck, but it's a little janky and missing things like assignable icons.
This however, looks like a massive improvement and kind of makes me want to get on the beta branch.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
My Deck has stopped syncing save games from the cloud unless I first boot a game on the desktop and immediatly quit. Otherwise, it just claims that the latest save game hasn't been uploaded, even though the save uploaded just fine earlier. This poo poo sucks, the Deck does it with every game.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do they ship from?

I'm far east coast

Looks like they ship from Carol Stream, IL. At least that's where mine is coming from.

Also, the timeline for this for me was crazy. I put in my pre-order in mid-May, got my email 9/15, they shipped it 9/18, and I'm due to get it today 9/19. Granted, I live in St. Louis, MO so I could have driven up to Carol Stream in like 5 hours to get it, but I was not expecting it until late this week or early next. I doubt I will get it today, because Fedex moved up my delivery date from 9/20, and they love to do that to me then go "lol whoops, looks like we're not making that new delivery date!" but I really hope I do get it today because I'm off with nothing to do and I would love to tinker with this some.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought some car parts and got excited because it seemed like FedEx would deliver stuff early, the it backed off and gave me the original date 🙄

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you have a Microcenter near you they've started selling drop-in 1TB SSD replacements for $110: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-and-steam-deck

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought some car parts and got excited because it seemed like FedEx would deliver stuff early, the it backed off and gave me the original date 🙄

Yeah haha there's no updates on the package yet so I'm pretty skeptical it will get here tonight. Original ETA was Wednesday.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you have a Microcenter near you they've started selling drop-in 1TB SSD replacements for $110: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-and-steam-deck

In stock by me, gently caress yes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Man, the only (but not insignificant) issue this thing has is the weight. Idk, comparing it to the switch is kind of apples and oranges, but the form factor on the Switch is definitely better.

Otherwise, loving awesome though. Started Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions last night. A game I've been dying to try for ages given all the hype around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
Man, I’ve been loving the hell out of my Steam Deck since I got it in July but have they said anything about improving navigating the store from it? Between the cursor resetting position when scrolling down a list and it weirdly randomly reverting back to old store pages of sales that have ended, it’s such a pain to look around the store for games.