Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

-Russia is withholding all its best kit for when it Gets Serious.
-Also every captured mortar round is a Western Intel goldmine
-Also there’s no point in exploiting Russian munitions; Russia has run out and cannot build more
-Also Western weapons are crap anyway except for their astonishingly good and secret missile defenses
-Still waiting for the really bigbrained Iranian Drone discourse to roll into online spaces

e: also a list of every weapon from troops to tanks to planes declared “obsolete” by twitter

The Iranian drones make me wonder, what's Russian for wonder weapons?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

can you guys make your minds up on whether Russian equipment is dumb poo poo orc nonsense or if it has valuable atlantian technology secreted within?

Where did I say either of those things? I think you might be arguing with someone else

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

evilmiera posted:

Where did I say either of those things? I think you might be arguing with someone else

:gb2gbs:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

-Russia is withholding all its best kit for when it Gets Serious.
-Also every captured mortar round is a Western Intel goldmine
-Also there’s no point in exploiting Russian munitions; Russia has run out and cannot build more
-Also Western weapons are crap anyway except for their astonishingly good and secret missile defenses
-Still waiting for the really bigbrained Iranian Drone discourse to roll into online spaces

e: also a list of every weapon from troops to tanks to planes declared “obsolete” by twitter

I doubt we will see the T-14 on the battlefield, and the issue wasn't American missile defense were amazing...it was that they were building it period.

Also, probably more Iranian drones would show up. It would certainly bulk up the number of UCAVs on the field for the Russians.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I just watched Shrek and I have a lot of questions for this thread. First of all, What is the difference between an orc and an ogre? Does Shrek actually have Rashist sympathies?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I just watched Shrek and I have a lot of questions for this thread. First of all, What is the difference between an orc and an ogre? Does Shrek actually have Rashist sympathies?

honestly, its not our job to educate you

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

iCe-CuBe. posted:

orcs are neutral evil and ogres are chaotic good

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Orcs are in world of warcraft not Shrek you buffoon, you ignoramus.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Orcs spawn via breeding pits, ogres accidentally fall on top of each other comically

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

orcs are neutral evil and ogres are chaotic good

Wait, what? That doesn't sound right. Who wrote this beastiary?

a nonfunny name
Sep 18, 2022

by Hand Knit
the Shrek Expanded Universe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Orcs deny the holodomor, ogres have a hollow dome

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lostconfused posted:

Wait, what? That doesn't sound right. Who wrote this beastiary?

Azovs of the Coast

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
https://uacrisis.org/en/orcs-and-men

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

jfc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bad Thread posted:

Sebmojo is one of the few admins actually taking the weird allowed bloodlust against ukrainians seriously which is nice, it's understandable that he is not familiar with the details of the Holodomor and trying to argue with seasoned people whose whole personality is denying genocides on the internet. I recommend Snyder's bloodlands for a detailed look into how the Holodomor happened and targeted Ukrainians

lol the loving brain trust is knocking it out of the park

Just completely unable to realize what double genocide theory and judeo-bolshevism are or why Collaborators and Perpetrators were suddenly rehabilitated after 1991.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Sep 18, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
weird thread

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Soon we will jail the collaborators within the usa. Thank you biden.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ogre

Orc

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
lizzy's been dead almost a full week so it's buoying to see every buy-to-let landlord/porcine sex tourist in the uk still flying their ukraine flags at half mast. :britain:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

bagual posted:

it's pathetic how american propaganda tries to contort itself into a defensive underdog spiel, in what insane cartoon world are third world countries so likely to do a first strike with icbms that it'd justify spending a single dollar in prevention against it

When I'm at used book stores I like to check out the dadfic section where they keep all the Tom Clancy wannabes. Lots of 80s vintage books about bombing Hanoi with our top secret super jets OR with our rickety old bucket of bolts because of that underdog poo poo you mentioned (because the politicians and generals won't let us win!). Lots of paranoid fascist dreck about Iran or Iraq (depending on the year lol) attacking America. There's even more of that poo poo out there nowadays about all the Terrorists who hate America and the hard men who have to save us, loving barfo.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

:wtc:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gay little unlockable fortnite nazi skins

It's nice they're making friends tho

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Most of the GBS thread hatereads this one, so its worth briefly touching on why Snyder is a grotesque hack, who is only tolerated because his 'research' was beneficial to EEuropean nationalists post-USSR. First I'd recommend Israeli historian Omer Bartov's review, of which you can read a sample of here, for a critique from someone who is stern on the USSR (but not rabidly aggressive) and boasts a respectable pedigree. If you do desire a more aggressively anti-communist critique, you could look into British historian Richard J. Evans' review of the book, who manages to quote fascist enabler Anne Applebaum's work while still calling out Snyder's ham-handed attempt to equivocate the Holocaust & Holodomor as equal racial purges. Esteemed American philosopher Thomas Kuhn's Great Men and Large Numbers: Undertheorising a History of Mass Killing not only equates Snyder's """"work"""" to the earliest iterations of Double Genocide Theory, but also critiques the pulp as lacking the local nuance that was vital to the execution of the Holocaust & the incompetence of the Holodomor. Israeli-German historian Dan Diner's Topography of Interpretation: Reviewing Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands derides the book as presenting it as a polono-centric reimagining of the war & its associated events.

Evans has a particularly scathing comment on Snyder's intent:

Richard J. Evans posted:

The prose style in which he conveys his facts doesn't help: the endless succession of short sentences hits us like a series of blows from a cudgel until eventually brain death sets in. The same phrases and formulations are repeated over and over again in an almost incantatory fashion. as if Snyder doesn't want us to think critically about what he is telling us, just to feel the pain of what he is describing.

These are just a few of the critiques levied towards Snyder's story. Jacques Sémelin has organized several more. He lightly touches on each critique, while playing dumb about why Snyder chooses to omit several events and regions (perhaps to appear less biased) which dismantle the equivocation. And these are just the criticisms from politically moderate (even, in some ways, conservative) and accredited historians & philosophers. Younger historians, less prone to the revisionism inflicted upon Eastern Europe, are significantly more scathing.

Snyder's work is trash. Useful trash, if your goal is to kickstart a new nationalist legacy after the collapse of the USSR, but trash nonetheless. It belongs at the bottom of a toilet. You should be skeptical of anyone who has read it and left with a positive impression. The good news is that the odds of anyone in the GBS thread having read it is very low, and that it's likely only recommended because it's That Soviet Genocide Book.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

i'll argue with someone else into your balls mate

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
That also only like 6 guys out of a population of millions

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Neurolimal posted:

Most of the GBS thread hatereads this one, so its worth briefly touching on why Snyder is a grotesque hack, who is only tolerated because his 'research' was beneficial to EEuropean nationalists post-USSR. First I'd recommend Israeli historian Omer Bartov's review, of which you can read a sample of here, for a critique from someone who is stern on the USSR (but not rabidly aggressive) and boasts a respectable pedigree. If you do desire a more aggressively anti-communist critique, you could look into British historian Richard J. Evans' review of the book, who manages to quote fascist enabler Anne Applebaum's work while still calling out Snyder's ham-handed attempt to equivocate the Holocaust & Holodomor as equal racial purges. Esteemed American philosopher Thomas Kuhn's Great Men and Large Numbers: Undertheorising a History of Mass Killing not only equates Snyder's """"work"""" to the earliest iterations of Double Genocide Theory, but also critiques the pulp as lacking the local nuance that was vital to the execution of the Holocaust & the incompetence of the Holodomor. Israeli-German historian Dan Diner's Topography of Interpretation: Reviewing Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands derides the book as presenting it as a polono-centric reimagining of the war & its associated events.

These are just a few of the critiques levied towards Snyder's story. Jacques Sémelin has organized several more. He lightly touches on each critique, while playing dumb about why Snyder chooses to omit several events and regions (perhaps to appear less biased) which dismantle the equivocation. And these are just the criticisms from politically moderate (even, in some ways, conservative) and accredited historians & philosophers. Younger historians, less prone to the revisionism inflicted upon Eastern Europe, are significantly more scathing.

Snyder's work is trash. Useful trash, if your goal is to kickstart a new nationalist legacy after the collapse of the USSR, but trash nonetheless. It belongs at the bottom of a toilet. You should be skeptical of anyone who has read it and left with a positive impression. The good news is that the odds of anyone in the GBS thread having read it is very low, and that it's likely only recommended because it's That Soviet Genocide Book.

lmao that atomic legdrop by evans

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

good news tankies

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1571531776178245635

ukraine now has the greatest tank of all

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It was pretty funny reading Jacques' overview, where he goes "Huh! Snyder omits several soviet jewish territories hit by the famine, and very narrowly defines what qualifies as German mass killing? Weird! Perhaps we'll never know why he did this...."

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Neurolimal posted:

i say cut out the middlemen and go to directly to grover furr

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1571562436670492673

does that mean they died?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Neurolimal posted:

You’re wasting your time

Someone Very Smart posted:

So to summarize:
Fascists gonna fascism.

They all (nazis, tankies, isis etc.) are really the same exact ideology, but with a different coat of paint.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

tristeham posted:

i say cut out the middlemen and go to directly to grover furr

I wanted to present something that might trick internet petit-nationalists into critical thinking; I'm pretty sure Blood Lies: The Evidence that Every Accusation against Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union in Timothy Snyder's "Bloodlands" Is False might immediately make them skim past :v:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They started defending Bandera because we don’t like him just now

Free Catpetter posted:

line is off this (less than traditional version) song that made the tank cook-off compilation rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L6tDfhYasw

but yeah one of those troubling historical figures that gets turned into a national symbol. most people probably just view him as a pro independent Ukraine/anti Soviet dude and forget the bad stuff with the jews/poles. tankies of course hate him but not really for the actual bad stuff, just the anti-russian pro ukraine bits.

i guess like columbus who just did a fun voyage, made some discoveries and went home after minimal murders

one of those troubling historical figures that gets turned into a national symbol

:psyduck:

tankies of course hate him but not really for the actual bad stuff,

:discourse:

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Sep 19, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

id seen some reporting for quite awhile that this group was basically eradicated in combat, but previously it was being framed as Russian lies to avoid accountability for those responsible. now it looks like people are celebrating it

and saying really racist poo poo, too!

speng31b has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Sep 19, 2022

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

You’re wasting your time

I honestly don't think it's a waste of time - at least not any more of a waste of time than any other post. I joined the tankie side by reading stuff like that. Eventually there are just too many contradictions to ignore for some of the people who read and initially dismiss it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

They started defending Bandera because we don’t like him just now

one of those troubling historical figures that gets turned into a national symbol

:psyduck:

tankies of course hate him but not really for the actual bad stuff,

:discourse:

it's fine, they're reduced to straight lying now

hey fuckos hatereading, we hate bandera because he was a nazi gently caress, and you support Ukraine because you like supporting nazi fucks, you give money to azov because you like funding nazi fucks. If you got caught up in the lies and found yourself in too deep now its clear Ukraine is a hosed up nazi state then don't worry, your side is winning and the world may soon become a giant neoliberal nazi gently caress parade :)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds extremely unlikely. There would be way more Ukrainian cheering if that was true. It wouldn't even be a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds extremely unlikely. There would be way more Ukrainian cheering if that was true. It wouldn't even be a question.

I mean.... I wouldn't recommend you saturate your brain in it, but I've seen quite a bit of cheerleading for it