Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice one, thanks !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

skasion posted:

Northern Journey is really good but idk if I would call it a boomer shooter in the sense of Dusk or Amid Evil or any of the newer Build/GZDoom shooters. It’s very post-Half-life I guess, the focus isn’t so much on the combat but on puzzling through the various zones and finding connections and opening new paths. The actual combat is just barely on the side of jank where it’s comical rather than infuriating, all your weapons are different flavors of worthless peashooter with incomprehensible flavor text and you’re constantly splashing around in a swamp like a madman trying not to drown/plunge to your doom/get your guts sucked out by horrible bloated insect life.

You're selling it short imo. Northern Journey is one of the best games I've played this year. Some of the weapons are almost literally pea shooters, yeah, but the shooting is super fun, refreshingly unique, and challenging. The environments and exploration are overwhelmingly grand in scale, many of the set pieces are impressively cool and memorable, the atmosphere is *chef kiss*, and characters have the most uncomfortably goofy appearance/animations that really set the tone somewhere between silly and horrifyingly unsettling. It reminds me of Mundaun in a lot of ways, Mundaun being the best game I played last year.

The only complaint I'd level against it is that moving through the environment can be pretty jank; it's easy to get stuck on geometry and quick saving requires you be on flat ground which is much harder to find than you'd think.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The Fortune's Run demo is super impressive imo. I'm not sure what it is exactly but the look and feel is soo good. Its definitely "just" a demo (intro/training, early story stuff, everything pretty scripted, etc.) but if they manage to fill out a whole game at this level it'll be top tier

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Never heard of that but it looks really cool.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

treat posted:

You're selling it short imo. Northern Journey is one of the best games I've played this year. Some of the weapons are almost literally pea shooters, yeah, but the shooting is super fun, refreshingly unique, and challenging. The environments and exploration are overwhelmingly grand in scale, many of the set pieces are impressively cool and memorable, the atmosphere is *chef kiss*, and characters have the most uncomfortably goofy appearance/animations that really set the tone somewhere between silly and horrifyingly unsettling. It reminds me of Mundaun in a lot of ways, Mundaun being the best game I played last year.

The only complaint I'd level against it is that moving through the environment can be pretty jank; it's easy to get stuck on geometry and quick saving requires you be on flat ground which is much harder to find than you'd think.

I loved Northern Journey to be clear. Just not like, as a shooter exactly. Feels weird to put it in the same category as Quake clones. It’s an experience. It captures the weirdo vibe of 3D games in the turn of the century. It’s like (vastly tighter focus version of) DX or Morrowind or something. Slightly busted and weird and you kind of have to go in expecting the game to gently caress you over, quick save everywhere and prepare for boss to wallhack you or dump you into a chasm. But it’s unique and really good work. One of the best one man games I’ve played. Loved the art, graphically it looks fantastic for what it’s going for, music was extremely good, and the game doesn’t get stale either, keeps adding weird new stuff all the way.

Haven’t heard of Mundaun, what’s it like?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skasion posted:

Very good folk horror game where all the textures are done in pencil. It's not a shooter at all though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Pd_nhbixk

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

skasion posted:

Cozy horror

brew up some coffee and listen to the radio over a pleasant breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctfQNi2HDl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqS1BQZA9Zg

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

MMF Freeway posted:

The Fortune's Run demo is super impressive imo. I'm not sure what it is exactly but the look and feel is soo good. Its definitely "just" a demo (intro/training, early story stuff, everything pretty scripted, etc.) but if they manage to fill out a whole game at this level it'll be top tier

This was cool. I found it really difficult though, couldn't get the hang of the jumping. The look is fantastic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1571593330370158593?t=B2z9DSuWiCwgvxgrWEXT1g&s=19

Wait what? If they pull this between PC and PS4 there's a double purchase here :stare:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Realms Deep day 3 total bust

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guillermus posted:

https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1571593330370158593?t=B2z9DSuWiCwgvxgrWEXT1g&s=19

Wait what? If they pull this between PC and PS4 there's a double purchase here :stare:

Been playing on PC, but now I might get it on Switch depending on how well it runs there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BisterdDave posted:

Been playing on PC, but now I might get it on Switch depending on how well it runs there.

I have bad news for you about The Switch.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Cracking my knuckles before my yearly effortpost...

Some of the demos I've played recently, Realms Deep or otherwise.

Fortune's Run

Overall: STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

Really liked this demo, seems fairly polished as well. Looks fantastic in motion. Has some definite imsim influences that it wears on its sleeve, but the stealth system seems a bit half baked. I thought that picking up ammo could stand to be a little bit streamlined, but I really thought the world and characters were cool, the whole thing has a very Nar Shaddaa vibe. Strong recommend but it is very difficult, i was quicksaving and quickloading like a fiend to get through it on their 'recommended' difficulty.

----

COVEN

Fantastic, atmosphere is top notch. The melee is OP as hell but feels absolutely amazing to axe dudes to pieces. If you liked DUSK at all then you absolutely owe it to yourself to try this, the influence is shameless but appreciated, very similar creeping horror vibes.

----

The Age of Hell

Overall: NOT FOR ME

GZDoom based project but leans heavily into the slaughtermap territory (first map has upwards of 800+ monsters, possibly more, I decided I'd had enough after that point anyway. The art and the music are quite impressive but the weapons don't feel great, and it runs like an absolute dog, stuttering and dropping frames on a 5600X+2080. (I figured maybe this was a WINE thing, but it seems like i'm not the only one.) Surprising, because other huge GZDoom projects like Supplice and Selaco both ran excellently for me (which both have excellent demos that you should play immediately if you haven't)

----

KVLT

Overall: FEELS LIKE AN ASSET FLIP

Pretty rough. Typos, bugs, weird collision issues, the 'music' is just a repeating drone note that doesn't loop properly. I like the spinal column shotgun.

----

Retchid

Overall: TRY IT

Better than I expected it would be! Heavily Doom3 influenced. Not super polished yet, enemy designs and animations are a little so-so, but I had a fun time with it. Already in the demo probably has more onscreen enemies than most Doom3 levels, so feels a bit more frenetic.

====

Some of FPS games i've played over the last year

Daikatana
Overall: HEAR ME OUT

Episode 1 is every bit as bad as you expect it would be. It is really, genuinely, just complete crap, and I don't blame anyone for never making it past the first level (let alone the first episode). Horrible levels, weapons that will kill you in 50%+ of situations, eye-searing lighting, and some of the worst audio mixing I've ever experienced.

BUT

With the 1.3 patch, and companions with infinite ammo, I actually had quite a bit of fun with it. Would probably be much more fun in co-op, which I'd imagine is what Ion Storm were expecting more people to play than actually did. The levels and combat in episodes 2-4 are better in essentially every way. Movement is crazily fast and feels ultra smooth. The Daikatana itself is stupidly overpowered. Some of the music is pretty good as well. The VO for Mikiko is horrific (but I guess that's the 90s for you).

----

Red Faction
Overall: MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED

I'd played the demo of this and the full game briefly on the Playstation 2, and never really went beyond that, but I thought it was actually tons of fun. The infamous stealth levels are boring but not very long, and the game mostly forgets about Geo-Mod after the first couple of levels, but the shooting feels great and the graphics held up better than I expected. Solid recommendation if you've never played it before.

----

Unreal Gold
Overall: GOOD, NOT GREAT

Definitely shows its rushed-ness in the later levels, some of which go on a bit too long. Music is still god-tier, as are the first couple of levels. The atmosphere is great throughout and really does sell you on this being a very alien world. There are more than a few places that could use more obvious signposting as it suffers from not knowing what the switch you just pressed has affected. Fighting Skaarj still feels great, but the weapons don't feel like they hit very hard, even compared to its contemporaries like Quake II. Some of this is the general sci-fi pewpew of the weapons, but many of the enemies seem to not really have any pain state so it feels like you're not hitting them sometimes. I'm much more familiar with the later UT99 versions of the weapons, which are all leagues better, so I wonder how it'd feel with those weapons modded in.

----

FEAR
Overall: ONE OF THE BEST FPS GAMES EVER MADE

Just phenomenal. I originally played this on a pretty anemic machine for the time and struggled through it at like 640x480 at 25 FPS, but playing through it at 1440p and 144FPS is incredible. The Alma segments are boring and not scary, but they're usually only 5-15 seconds, not long drawn out cutscenes. The combat is just incredible, enemy AI still feels like it's doing its best to constantly outpace you, and the game looks unbelievably good for coming out in 2005. I'm now going through Extraction Point for the first time and it's also been really enjoyable, though Fettel coming back to life is pretty unexplained and hackneyed, but who cares.

----

Condemned: Criminal Origins
Overall: FEAR'S ACTUALLY SCARY COUSIN

I'd never gotten around to this one (and it's debatable that it's even a shooter) but it also holds up really well. The environments are spooky and oppressive, and (like FEAR) the enemy AI is surprisingly adaptable and can outplay you if you're not being careful. The rhythm, weight, and brutality of the combat all still feel top notch, and if you're playing it in a dark room it might actually legitimately scare you, unlike its shootier cousin.

====

Others I've played in the past ~year that I don't have much to say about, but can expand if desired

• Half Life
  • Half Life 2 + Episode I + II
  • HROT
  • KISS Psycho Circus
  • Portal
  • Hedon
  • Ion Fury

====

On my list to play next

if it's a replay
  • Half-Life Opposing Force
  • Half-Life Blue Shift
  • Portal 2
  • Titanfall
  • EYE Divine Cybermancy
  • ROTT 2013
  • AVP Classic
  • AVP 2
  • No One Lives Forever
  • No One Lives Forever 2
  • WRATH (if it comes out)

now back to lurking.

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 19, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Condemned kicks rear end. I was so disappointed in the sequel that had to make the main character ridiculously edgy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guillermus posted:

I assume it's Xbox Play Anywhere

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Condemned kicks rear end. I was so disappointed in the sequel that had to make the main character ridiculously edgy.

That said, I do wish the sequel had made it to PC. I hear it has its moments, and gets loving weird and I'm for that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

catlord posted:

That said, I do wish the sequel had made it to PC. I hear it has its moments, and gets loving weird and I'm for that.

It’s weird it didn’t get a pc port. I remember it did have its moments but I remember not liking it nearly as much or thinking it was as scary.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The bear level was good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Prodeus on PC has its own account system, so I assume they've rolled their own cloud save/progression tracking thing. Pretty neat!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh that's cool then yeah

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mechanically, I enjoyed the sequel! It was a sufficiently spooky experience (I played it while I was living up in Alaska, which was a perfect setting for the infamous cabin level in particular) and early segments like the hotel reminded me of Se7en--just this relentlessly bleak and oppressive world filled with crime and madness. Plus beating the piss out of lunatics never got old.

But then, like you said, they had to go and make the player an everbrooding drunk and put such a preposterous twist on the overarching storyline that its head came clean off.

I can't believe that they were even working on film for the series:

quote:

"According to earlier drafts of the script, a police officer hunts down a serial killer in an attempt to clear his name from murder, but during the process he discovers that he may be tied to other ongoing murder cases in an unusual way. The cop soon begins to question throughout his investigation upon discovering his supernatural abilities, "who he is as a man, until he realizes he's not a man. A tug-of-war emerges among a faction of good and evil aliens".

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s weird it didn’t get a pc port. I remember it did have its moments but I remember not liking it nearly as much or thinking it was as scary.

I enjoyed the first one enough that I found an Xbox 360 copy of the sequel and tried it for 5 minutes with Xenia, which works fine on Windows, but not on Linux so i haven't gone further. Eventually i'll get around to playing it.

But even the intro cinematic veers HARD into mid 2000s edgelord territory. I think Condemned 2, The Darkness, and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within form the pillars of the "jet-black soul patch" genre of that era.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

But even the intro cinematic veers HARD into mid 2000s edgelord territory. I think Condemned 2, The Darkness, and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within form the pillars of the "jet-black soul patch" genre of that era.

Don’t forget the king of all those games, Shadow the Hedgehog. Make a new one Sega and just make it an fps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don’t forget the king of all those games, Shadow the Hedgehog.

"Give Sonic a gun."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Make a new one Sega and just make it an fps.

"Give Sonic another gun."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Voodoo Cafe posted:

now back to lurking.

At least it was a good post!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Unreal Gold
Overall: GOOD, NOT GREAT

Definitely shows its rushed-ness in the later levels, some of which go on a bit too long. Music is still god-tier, as are the first couple of levels. The atmosphere is great throughout and really does sell you on this being a very alien world. There are more than a few places that could use more obvious signposting as it suffers from not knowing what the switch you just pressed has affected. Fighting Skaarj still feels great, but the weapons don't feel like they hit very hard, even compared to its contemporaries like Quake II. Some of this is the general sci-fi pewpew of the weapons, but many of the enemies seem to not really have any pain state so it feels like you're not hitting them sometimes. I'm much more familiar with the later UT99 versions of the weapons, which are all leagues better, so I wonder how it'd feel with those weapons modded in.

Maybe you’re already aware, but this is possible. There’s a mod where you can play Unreal 1 in UT99. I don’t remember how it handles the weapons that are different but I seem to recall it was pretty configurable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Prodeus comes out on my birthday. Now that's a gift I can get behind.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Prodeus on PC has its own account system, so I assume they've rolled their own cloud save/progression tracking thing. Pretty neat!

Well, if I can play from my PC and on PS4 with the same saves, that will be a double dip for sure.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Well, if I can play from my PC and on PS4 with the same saves, that will be a double dip for sure.
https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1571623249254957057

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Funny thing that last time I've seen this, was on Doom 2016 and sadly, it wasn't popular.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Realms Deep day 3 total bust

It was downhill after Phantom Fury. Might as well close up shop after that glorious display.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh hey there are the rest of the guns for Prodeus

Ok, now, can I edit the scroll wheel. After this and Hellsinger I really want control over that thing and weapon selection.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just picked up Prodeus after having not tried it since the very first open playtest, and wow this has come on a lot. This MIDI soundtrack fuckin rules

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Voodoo Cafe posted:

COVEN

Fantastic, atmosphere is top notch. The melee is OP as hell but feels absolutely amazing to axe dudes to pieces. If you liked DUSK at all then you absolutely owe it to yourself to try this, the influence is shameless but appreciated, very similar creeping horror vibes.

Coven rocked it really captured the look and feel of an early Unreal game perfectly. Yet another demo I'm pissed I tried since I'll be waiting forever for this one too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fortune's Run: ...is that Star Wars game where you don't play a jedi that everyone says they want. Sure.

I feel like it probably wants to signal the importance of stealth more than it does? Like, the tutorial goes, here's how to shoot, here's bullet time, here's grenades, and oh, here's stealth if you want it. But no, stealth is, like, key. It is very easy to die very quickly in a straight-up firefight, but you can oneshot just about anybody if you sneak up behind them and decapitate them with the sword and the minimap that indicates vision cones and the very short enemy deaggro times is very clearly designed to facilitate that.

But then the game drops you into a boss fight, with a guy who's got a chaingun and a rocket launcher, in a room where you can break line of sight but otherwise there's not really much you can do stealthwise, and you really don't get that much bullet time and... yeah, I'm not certain what I was supposed to do with that one. I could reliably get him down to two-thirds health but that was it. Eventually I just gave in and adjust the difficulty sliders, because the game lets you do that mid-combat even.

There's also a bit where you fight a gunship and the game puts a rocket launcher right in front of you and you think, okay, so I'm supposed to use this on that... but as it turns out it dies a lot faster to the assault blaster?? Whatever.

It was fun I guess but I'd recommend playing it on something lower than the default difficulty unless you are a Mirror's Edge/Deus Ex vet.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

david_a posted:

Maybe you’re already aware, but this is possible. There’s a mod where you can play Unreal 1 in UT99. I don’t remember how it handles the weapons that are different but I seem to recall it was pretty configurable.

I was vaguely aware you could do it but I've never tried it! Though i wonder about balance, neither the upgraded Dispersion Pistol or the Tarydium Stinger have a 1-1 correspondence in UT and both are pretty solid workhorses, especially in the early game

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Guillermus posted:

Funny thing that last time I've seen this, was on Doom 2016 and sadly, it wasn't popular.
Snapmap was cool enough but limited to snapping together existing rooms. Prodeus' map editor is what the actual game's maps were made in, so it will be way more powerful.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Mordja posted:

I have bad news for you about The Switch.

What's the bad news about The Switch?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Volte posted:

Snapmap was cool enough but limited to snapping together existing rooms. Prodeus' map editor is what the actual game's maps were made in, so it will be way more powerful.

Yeah and is really cool. Snapmap could have been better. I really wanted co-op Doom but most maps were really bad and it didn't have the same feeling of the SP (iirc different code?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

What's the bad news about The Switch?

I think they’re trying to say everything runs bad on it which isn’t true.