Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly if you really follow the dynamics of Tenchi Muyo, Greg is Ryoko. Amethyst is I guess Sasami? She was real little-kid developmental level back in those days.

I was thinking about Steven Universe earlier today, and it still bugs me that Rose is Rose Quartz, because I keep thinking about the stone desert rose, which is actually Gypsum. To me, that's the rock that evokes a rose most to me.

Rose Quartz is just some slightly pink silicon dioxide, so it's got some red coloring, but not a lot so it's only pink, which isn't even the most common color of the many colors of roses. Big whoop. And it makes sense later on with the whole gem castes and the fact that Rose and Amethyst are supposed to be the same "kind" of gem, but it's still a lame rock. It didn't show up in any mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Have you finished the show?

Regardless of that, though, I'm pretty sure it was all decided to be pink with a pink gem because there was a deliberate decision to associate Steven with that traditionally feminine colour as a way of destigmatising the colour and ignoring the traditional gender roles it implies.

But even more basic than that was that they were precious gems and that they had a given colour that could play into the character design. In particular the core Crystal Gems all being simple faceted crystal looking things. For most of them they probably picked the colour first and then chose the gem that would match.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 14, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

juuust in case you thought Zaslav was done

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1570478358202568704

there is no way to watch the back half of season 3 outside of piracy. the back half never got added to amazon/google/itunes.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 16, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Oh is this lovely news day? Let me contribute

https://twitter.com/animationonmax/status/1570862960549179394?s=46&t=ANlYMsYsJfrgPAr6jsdTaA

https://twitter.com/jessdrawz/status/1570849951852433408?s=20&t=UeX6n0zKxfFJung0MRrHXg

https://twitter.com/pix3lp3t/status/1570856172701483008?s=46&t=ANlYMsYsJfrgPAr6jsdTaA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

That sucks but honestly I'm not too surprised. Looney Tunes has been an underserved brand for a long time now and just looking at the list of projects they've had recently I see Space Jam 2 (which, let's face it, was a movie for milennials more than actual children), the HBO Max exclusive Looney Tunes cartoons (which being exclusive to one service means they automatically don't reach a lot of people*) and some preschool show on CN. Before that there was that Wabbit show which had like zero publicity and a piss-poor rollout and that makes the last really significant project they've been in The Looney Tunes Show which wrapped 7 years ago.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In my kind Wabbit replaced TLTS and I hated it for that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cant cook creole bream posted:

There are backstory reveals up till the end
The gist of it is the previous generation messed everything up.

Also that the whole Steven-focused storytelling means that when he does get more fleshed-out flashbacks of what happened in the past, they aren't always reliable, accurate or truthful. Non-specific spoiler hint: The parts in flashbacks that go into a far more stylished shadow puppet esque visual styles are the ones hinting that you're getting incomplete, heavily biased or outright untruthful information. This is one of many, MANY references to Revolutionary Girl Utena, which also has that style indicating flashbacks aren't reliable.

And it's not just Steven who's learning things as they go either, suffice to say- many character arcs are heavily tied in with the revealing of new ideas and information they didn't know, which can completely upend their worldview.

But yeah, with Venture Bros and Johnny Quest earlier, it's also a similar but not necessarily the same deal with a lot of shows that just hit the ground running, like Scooby-Doo and such, and usually have an eternal status quo with little meaningful acknowledgement of any prior continuity. Venture Bros actually uses that to a degree, with a running theme that the characters have been doing this way too long and acting as if they live in that, but they aren't, the world changes around them, and the boy adventurers grow up. Especially a theme in the group therapy episode making a point that there's no way someone can go through half of what a 'boy adventurer' does and NOT end up with major issues- and of them is obviously literally Johnny Quest. (they only barely made the Johnny Quest characters distinct at CN's request) Also goes well with the running gag that almost all of the spectacular action and fight scenes you'd expect from a cartoon happen offscreen. (With some exceptions- which are often really legitimately cool, and/or funny)

...actually, some of my favourite scenes in Venture Bros also involve the audience and/or the character learning major revelations, often foreshadowed ages ago, that completely change the context of almost everything they know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Joel Hodgson plays a reoccurring character on SU which is awesome (I actually wasn't aware he'd done other acting roles outside of MST3K)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also Joel Hodgson plays a reoccurring character on SU which is awesome (I actually wasn't aware he'd done other acting roles outside of MST3K)

He did a couple of fun guest shots on Freaks and Geeks back in the day.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something interesting with Steven Universe is how the characters develop, because as manufactured rocks they are literally made to be static. They aren't supposed to change, so only major events in their lives cause them to do so and so their development comes in fits and starts, jerking from position to position and causing new behaviours to become ingrained. An interesting example is a late series situation with Garnet, who until a certain point has been percieving Steven as still a child. That perception doesn't change until her future vision literally breaks because Steven's decisions have become so unpredictable she cannot keep up until she learns to internalise the idea that Steven has a particular goal and will stop at nothing to make it happen, so all the thing she initially dismissed as unlikely are no longer that. Spoilered for LarryB because I don't know how far into the show he is and it's after Steven does something very drastic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 19, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SU is one of those shows where not caring about spoilers invalidates half the reason to watch, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also it's not just for Larry, I tend to be very careful about spoilers because I never know who is reading. Larry may not care, but someone else reading the thread might, I've sometimes been caught with a spoiler I'd rather have not seen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

SU is one of those shows where not caring about spoilers invalidates half the reason to watch, though.

Not for me, I’ve come in late on a lot of shows and still enjoyed them despite being spoiled on a bunch of stuff beforehand. It’s just never bothered me as much as it has some people I guess (plus most of the spoilers I had gotten before finally deciding to watch this show were kind of devoid of context)

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it's not just for Larry, I tend to be very careful about spoilers because I never know who is reading. Larry may not care, but someone else reading the thread might, I've sometimes been caught with a spoiler I'd rather have not seen.

Fair enough (and sorry, that post did come off as a little rude now that I think about it)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 19, 2022

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think sometimes knowing spoilers doesn't impact much as long as the actual delivery of events is powerful on its own. And I do think SU is pretty good at presenting and depicting its events in interesting enough ways that the journey there is fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spoilers make things better, but it's good to be polite about it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nerdietalk posted:

I think sometimes knowing spoilers doesn't impact much as long as the actual delivery of events is powerful on its own. And I do think SU is pretty good at presenting and depicting its events in interesting enough ways that the journey there is fun.

Yeah Steven Universe isn't exactly Game of Thrones where shock value is 90% of the impact to the twists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's also fun to go back and realise how much goddamn foreshadowing there is to a lot of things, both actively and thematically.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also fun to go back and realise how much goddamn foreshadowing there is to a lot of things, both actively and thematically.

Yeah, like the "We're not going to let him keep that are we?" "We kept amethyst" and Amethyst's reaction to that line are really good, they at first just read as a witticism until you know that they are being literal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Phineas & Ferb return in the next Chibiverse episode and Luz from The Owl House will be involved as well:

It also airs just a week before the premiere of the latter’s third and final season (which I’m assuming isn’t a coincidence on Disney‘s part)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I imagine the Gravity Falls gang isn't gonna do much on that show? At the very least Soos and Grunkle Stan. Hirsch has been pretty vocal about how anti Disney he is. I can't imagine he'd agree to come back to voice them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I imagine the Gravity Falls gang isn't gonna do much on that show? At the very least Soos and Grunkle Stan. Hirsch has been pretty vocal about how anti Disney he is. I can't imagine he'd agree to come back to voice them

Dipper and Mabel made a cameo in the first episode if I recall correctly but whether any Gravity Falls characters will ever have voiced roles on the show remains to be seen (though the second one did kind of serve as a pseudo Amphibia reunion so who knows)

I’m hoping for some Ducktales 2017 characters to pop up as hosts at some point as well (which seems much more plausible)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Macaluso posted:

Taking shots at Disney on Twitter hasn't stopped him from voicing the Owl House and Amphibia.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's bad practice to completely burn your bridges while your girlfriend is still in the process of crossing them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pakled posted:

Taking shots at Disney on Twitter hasn't stopped him from voicing the Owl House and Amphibia.

Yeah but I'm sure he did those at the request of the showrunners that he has worked with. I was under the impression that Chibiverse was kind of a weird thrown together thing the Disney higher ups wanted, at least that's what it seemed like when it was first being discussed on Twitter before it came out. Which made me assume Hirsch wouldn't want a part in it. I admittedly haven't watched it, is it actually a much more realized show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yeah but I'm sure he did those at the request of the showrunners that he has worked with. I was under the impression that Chibiverse was kind of a weird thrown together thing the Disney higher ups wanted, at least that's what it seemed like when it was first being discussed on Twitter before it came out. Which made me assume Hirsch wouldn't want a part in it. I admittedly haven't watched it, is it actually a much more realized show?

From what I can gather it’s mostly a collection of the Chibi shorts Disney’s made over the years with new segments in between hosted by the main cast of Big City Greens and guest stars from other Disney cartoons

They seem to be going the extra mile to get the actual actors back to reprise their roles so that’s something at least (plus in Amphibia’s case Brenda Song and Bill Farmer have been on the Disney payroll for a long time now so it’s not like it’s that hard to get them back)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 20, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to watching the last season of Kid Cosmic, and it was good, but I felt it really jumped around thematically. At 24 episodes, the entire show could've been a chopped-up one season order, but from the ways things change between seasons, it feels like they were made separately. Kid not really caring that much about the end of his hero days and just wanting to tell the world about all the alien life out there is cool, but it's not really a direction that the show had been going up to that point, especially since there wasn't much about interstellar society in that season. Maybe it would've been a good followup to the season 2 finale (so maybe if S2 and S3 were part of the same order that'd make more thematic sense?), but I need to rewatch that to see how much of that actually happened. The little diner in the absolute middle of nowhere surrounded by blank nothingness is a great analogy to Earth being cut off from the universe, but it just wasn't a thing that the show had been worried about up to that point. People weren't really worried about being lonely or isolated, nobody earlier in the show was really anxious to just get out of the desert. Not even really sure how isolated they really are, the show didn't touch on where (or whether) Jo and Kid go to school or if the diner staff lives at the diner.

I had actually been spoiled going in by seeing that a Youtube video was titled "Papa G's sacrifice", but I'm glad that they didn't kill him off [during the show's runtime]. I did get kinda anxious about the fact that as a guy who has been fit as a fiddle for his whole life and living independently, to suddenly be saddled with the infirmity of old age would be really damaging. Definitely Kid won't be able to take care of him on his own, maybe the rest of the community and all the aliens could help? I feel like his stone that he always keeps with him at all times that was hidden up until the beginning of season 3 definitely seems like more evidence of things not having been planned, not that a lack of planning ruined things though.

It's still brilliant animation and a weird intriguing music. There's a really neat economy to the animation, and some nice visual motifs that carry throughout the show. I think there's a couple of times they swap in 3D models, but you can barely tell unless you really look for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got our first official look at the Owl House Season 3 premiere:

Source (relevant bit is around 0:32): https://youtube.com/watch?v=3cjJfTib6Zo

The Season 2 finale is now officially available in full on Disney’s YouTube channel as well

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

It's bad practice to completely burn your bridges while your girlfriend is still in the process of crossing them.

Apparently Hirsch and Terrace broke up back in April, so that doesn't exactly seem like it's a problem for either of them anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 3, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/1578156922158518273

i've talked about this before, but i'm glad this is finally getting pushback. one of my biggest gripes about animated movies was there frustrating reliance on star power rather than actual talent. chris pratt being hired as mario being the most recent, utterly egregious example.

it always seemed really unfair to me. voice actors get paid peanuts compared to regular actors to begin with. then they get upstaged by people who don't even do the same type of job, even though the VA literally spent their entire careers honing their craft, in order to do this very specific type of thing.

and yes, i know there are people like the great mark hammill that demonstrate such things can work out, but people like him are the exception. change my mind

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/1578156922158518273

i've talked about this before, but i'm glad this is finally getting pushback. one of my biggest gripes about animated movies was there frustrating reliance on star power rather than actual talent. chris pratt being hired as mario being the most recent, utterly egregious example.

it always seemed really unfair to me. voice actors get paid peanuts compared to regular actors to begin with. then they get upstaged by people who don't even do the same type of job, even though the VA literally spent their entire careers honing their craft, in order to do this very specific type of thing.

and yes, i know there are people like the great mark hammill that demonstrate such things can work out, but people like him are the exception. change my mind

I will agree that that using actors for VA work just to promote a movie is rather weird.

like tifany in the jet sons movie.

But VA work is like alot of things regarding entertainment is one of those things where there are more people who want to do the work then there is work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's a bit hyperbolic, especially since Tara Strong has starred in multiple movies that went to theaters.

But there is a constant undercurrent of how often Hollywood wants star power for its movies, and to do that they can't just have faceless good character actors, they need big names with faces. So often the big star power just kinda falls short when it comes to voice acting because it's a bit of a different skillset. People tend to be much less vocally expressive when they're used to also focusing on their facial expressions. And I get that it sucks in this movie-focused world for movies to be the most prestigious and lucrative form of media, the ultimate level of the craft, only for it to be nearly unreachable for people who did the time in the lower levels getting the correct skills.

But also Charles Martinet is still going to be in the movie somehow anyways. His name's on the trailer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's a bit hyperbolic, especially since Tara Strong has starred in multiple movies that went to theaters.

But there is a constant undercurrent of how often Hollywood wants star power for its movies, and to do that they can't just have faceless good character actors, they need big names with faces. So often the big star power just kinda falls short when it comes to voice acting because it's a bit of a different skillset. People tend to be much less vocally expressive when they're used to also focusing on their facial expressions. And I get that it sucks in this movie-focused world for movies to be the most prestigious and lucrative form of media, the ultimate level of the craft, only for it to be nearly unreachable for people who did the time in the lower levels getting the correct skills.

But also Charles Martinet is still going to be in the movie somehow anyways. His name's on the trailer.

Charles is apparently narrating the movie, supposedly as an older Mario looking back on his first adventure in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Also I saw this posted somewhere on Reddit and I actually think it's a decent take on the situation, that Charles Martinet's Mario voice, as good as it is in the video games where Mario only says a few words or sentences at the most, often as canned vocal grunting, would kind of be loving torturous to listen to for an entire 90-120 minute film runtime where he has to deliver actual dialog with it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I can just imagine if the actors were recording together like they sometimes do, Jack Black during the recording of the final confrontation talking to Pratt trying to give him tips on improving his voice acting. being all "Dude, you're putting me to sleep over here. Where's the enthusiasm? The FIYA!? You're fighting a fire breathing 10-foot tall turtle but you sound so bored!" You just know the contrast in their booth presence must have been night and day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I saw this posted somewhere on Reddit and I actually think it's a decent take on the situation, that Charles Martinet's Mario voice, as good as it is in the video games where Mario only says a few words or sentences at the most, often as canned vocal grunting, would kind of be loving torturous to listen to for an entire 90-120 minute film runtime where he has to deliver actual dialog with it.

He's also a talented voice actor and would probably be able to create a version of the voice that's a lot lighter and more normal and listenable for a long time while still retaining recognisable elements.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I can just imagine if the actors were recording together like they sometimes do, Jack Black during the recording of the final confrontation talking to Pratt trying to give him tips on improving his voice acting. being all "Dude, you're putting me to sleep over here. Where's the enthusiasm? The FIYA!? You're fighting a fire breathing 10-foot tall turtle but you sound so bored!" You just know the contrast in their booth presence must have been night and day.

For what it's worth, we've heard basically two lines from Chris Pratt as Mario so far, AND the man is an otherwise very charismatic actor and voice actor in basically every other situation he's been in so far that's not been this movie. He's the glue that holds The Lego Movie together, probably one of his most "Un-Chris Pratt-typecast character" roles to date. The down side to all that is while he's extremely charismatic and can carry a movie, he only really has one mode these days and it's being some variation of Star Lord, the fast-talking quippy smart-dumb gunslinger. For all we know, he could actually be the perfect choice for what this movie needed for its version of Mario, or it could be an absolutely disastrous miscast, we have no idea.

Though it was kind of hilariously telling that that trailer was 90% Jack Black having a blast as Bowser, 5% Keegan Michael Key selling you on the idea that he could play Toad, and then 2.5% Chris Pratt's Mario with the remainder being the penguins.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, we've heard basically two lines from Chris Pratt as Mario so far, AND the man is an otherwise very charismatic actor and voice actor in basically every other situation he's been in so far that's not been this movie. He's the glue that holds The Lego Movie together, probably one of his most "Un-Chris Pratt-typecast character" roles to date. The down side to all that is while he's extremely charismatic and can carry a movie, he only really has one mode these days and it's being some variation of Star Lord, the fast-talking quippy smart-dumb gunslinger. For all we know, he could actually be the perfect choice for what this movie needed for its version of Mario, or it could be an absolutely disastrous miscast, we have no idea.

Though it was kind of hilariously telling that that trailer was 90% Jack Black having a blast as Bowser, 5% Keegan Michael Key selling you on the idea that he could play Toad, and then 2.5% Chris Pratt's Mario with the remainder being the penguins.

Yeah, in hindsight I was being a bit hard on Pratt, he may settle into the role as he gets more used to playing him so he may get better in other scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I was being a bit hard on Pratt, he may settle into the role as he gets more used to playing him so he may get better in other scenes.

Yeah. Like I don't like Chris Pratt as a person because he's a huge rear end in a top hat and a bigot, but I won't deny that the man isn't a really good actor otherwise.