Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I quit the game once until they introduced role queues, I'll quit it again if they remove it.

I'm not subjecting myself again to teams where 5 (i guess 4 in OW2) players are DPSes running around like headless chickens bitching about not being pocketed. I sooner jab forks in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

comedyblissoption posted:

i played almost exclusively support + tank in ow1 before and when it had role queue

the problem with role queue is it's going to kill the game because people are going to press the 'i want to play' button and then theyre staring at a countdown timer. they're going to click on a streamer whose primary job is advertisement and see a countdown timer. this is so loving terrible for game retention. this is terrible for people who want to pick tank/support because the game is gonna be loving dead lol

yeah you literally can not have a game that has 20 minutes of downtime between matches. hell, not even ten minutes. it also is terrible to stream because of the ridiculous downtime ratio as people just get bored and gently caress off to watch something else.

idk what they can or will do about that but if it isn't addressed it's going to drag things down so quickly

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Did Blizzard lose artists prior to Overwatch’s release or something? Because that reddit pic touches on the reality that all of Overwatch’s really well-imagined and memorable characters come from the release window, Sombra was the last great one.

If I recall correctly (and I'm probably mixing things up) a lot of the original characters were NPCs from the MMO except they had actual names. The one example I remember is that Tracer was actually a character class name, not an actual character, and I think the same was true for Reaper. If most of them were designed by the original MMO team before it blew up and they salvaged the wreckage then staff turnover could easily explain the difference.

I think every Blizzard team shares the same art pipeline, at least when it comes to their animators (and maybe concept artists). I think that was one of the reasons given for the WoW model revamp from WoD taking so long, because they wanted to put their best artists on it but they had to wait in line. I also remember stuff about HotS having a few animators that did a handful of heroes each but they also worked on other games in between releases.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah you literally can not have a game that has 20 minutes of downtime between matches. hell, not even ten minutes. it also is terrible to stream because of the ridiculous downtime ratio as people just get bored and gently caress off to watch something else.

idk what they can or will do about that but if it isn't addressed it's going to drag things down so quickly

Just play the Open Queue? Or...you know, something other than dps?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
startling game design philosophy: when people want to play the game let them play the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_0PSZ2S_yw&t=34s

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
also open queue is probably unplayable because they doubled down on role queue and made 'tank' have raid boss power levels

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

shoulda just let you stack heroes. everything's been downhill since they got rid of six monkey comp

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All of your complaints can be fixed by embracing the best mode in the game of Mystery Heroes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, I mostly quit playing OW1 outside of arcade when they introduced role queue despite playing a frequently in-demand role as my main (Support) because my queue times went from like a minute in a half to nearly five on average despite being low plat at best and probably far worse at that point. I can understand queue times in something like League of Legends or DOTA or something where even an utter rout is some twenty minutes of time but I've had queue times longer then matches in OW1's Ranked and that really put me off the game. It does not seem like OW2 has addressed this problem in the slightest, and with how they're balancing tanks it's going to be hard to imagine arcade mode looking the way it does now.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Valentin posted:

shoulda just let you stack heroes. everything's been downhill since they got rid of twelve Torb matches

Fixed your post.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i hope im wrong and 5v5 with raidboss is the solution to the Queue Time Problem, but i'm wondering if they were looking at flawed statistics of a post-role queue player collapse to come to this conclusion

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I hadn't played for a while and the queue times during the beta weekend made me uninstall it way before it ended. I'm not expecting release to be much better tbh.

I wonder if Gundam Evo releasing this week will cause ow2 to have an even harder time on the market. I'm definitely more interested in the former, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet and I really don't care about Gundam and mechas.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GET RID OF ROLE QUEUE

get rid of shields and/or severely nerf it on a per character basis

give everyone passive heal over time after not taking damage for a bit

balance the game so whatever comp mostly works

push support chars into more damage and utility instead of healing if healing is still too powerful

there i saved ow2

Role queue is optional what does getting rid of it solve? Might as well ditch mystery heroes if we are removing random playlists.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Just play the Open Queue? Or...you know, something other than dps?

there was no open queue in ow2 beta and i played I think two total games of dps. priority tickets did nothing at all and queuing fill just meant healer 99% of the time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I always feel like I'm living in a parallel universe hearing people complain about role queue, because this was basically my experience without it:

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not subjecting myself again to teams where 5 (i guess 4 in OW2) players are DPSes running around like headless chickens bitching about not being pocketed

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i would like to see the player numbers for the game after role queue was implemented

my recollection was ow was pretty huge before then and it just loving cratered soon after

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I feel like there's a sweet spot between the unmoderated community of 6 toxic players per match instalocking whatever poo poo and waiting 10 minutes to get in a match and idk why OW has only tried those two things.

i would like to see the player numbers for the game after role queue was implemented

my recollection was ow was pretty huge before then and it just loving cratered soon after

one of the only things that actually explains why role queue is so, so slow is that the playerbase is actually miniscule relative ot the number of people to sustain quick matchmaking. It's possible that they just have some horribly configured matchmaking algo, too, I guess, but OW is by far the slowest competitive game I've played to matchmake by a factor of 5-10, and that includes BRs with strict matchmaking firing off 60+ player lobbies.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 19, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if you make the game so that 4 slampack dps is a mostly viable comp through some system changes (e.g. maybe give everyone passive heal over time), it would not feel so terrible to play with a "terrible" comp since the comp would no longer be terrible

(also dps players complain about not having a pocket in role queue)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

if you make the game so that 4 slampack dps is a mostly viable comp through some system changes (e.g. maybe give everyone passive heal over time), it would not feel so terrible to play with a "terrible" comp since the comp would no longer be terrible

(also dps players complain about not having a pocket in role queue)

There's a huge difference between having a minority terrible whiny dps bitching about not getting pocketed and having a full team of them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The more you drift away from classes actually being useful, the less like OW the game becomes. I already feel like OW2 is The DPS Show, with background characters "raid boss" and "ult farm npcs"

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It's a shooting game why isn't everyone a "dps". It's a game about shooting

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

It's a shooting game why isn't everyone a "dps". It's a game about shooting

Why is there a sword and a hammer character in a game about shooting?
Why is there any healing in a game about shooting in the first place?

Correct me if I'm reaching here but maybe in a genre chock full of games about shooting OW is actually one of the few games not about shooting?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While the hard role-based design is the source of a large part of my issues with Overwatch it's also foundational to the game's identity.

Another game seeing OW, and coming to the conclusion to avoid having the mmo trinity in a shooter? That's just natural iteration.

OW looking at its own history and deciding to turn tanks and healers into DPS+utility? That'd be kinda hosed up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Runa posted:

OW looking at its own history and deciding to turn tanks and healers into DPS+utility? That'd be kinda hosed up.

That's literally where OW2 is going

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's literally where OW2 is going

rip

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Role queue was an admission that the game's design is fundamentally flawed. Overwatch reminds me of how one of the pillars of WoW's initial success was Blizzard's regard for the sanctity of the individual, particularly with the way they ensured you could play a multiplayer game as a singleplayer one if you chose to. In WoW you could go from 1-60 by yourself without joining a single group, and they went out of their way to make sure you could play the game the way you wanted to every time you logged on.

And just like how in WoW you can play as though other people don't exist, Overwatch has some very deliberate design choices to encourage players to stick around regardless of how well the game is going, such as not having a scoreboard so you can't tell if you're doing badly, or making the core gameplay loop so reliant on teamwork that it always feels like everyone else is doing it wrong and you're not to blame. And then there's the slowly-charging ult meter which guarantees that every couple of minutes or so you can get a big dopamine hit and feel like a winner, at least for a moment.

Roles are appealing to Blizzard because they attract people looking for different game experiences in the same way that classes do (which Overwatch also has, since each character is essentially a different class) and the number one design goal for OW was to make a prolific game. It feels almost cynical, like they want to retain all the people interested in playing tank and support along with all of the DPS players, but they either aren't willing or don't realize that if they offered a better game experience to everyone they'd attract even more players in total.

So Blizzard ended up drawing in all the players and then spent the next five years trying to work out how to make their role-based game good, and in the end they failed because it isn't possible without a complete redesign. It's been said a million times before but I do think the only reason the game ever retained as many players as it did is because of its phenomenally good art and sound direction. People love the feeling of playing Overwatch even if they don't actually enjoy the experience itself, so it's not surprising at all that the wacky game modes are the only fun ones. If they removed roles it would be a very different game, but how many people would continue to play it? Probably most of them.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Father Wendigo posted:

They never really bothered to give Hammond any supporting media iirc, which is disappointing since it's a tiny genius hamster who only wants to break things and watch the world burn.

Come to think of it, the last big piece of OW media was Mei's cinematic, which unfortunately got upstaged by a Junkrat short that looks like it was animated in GMod. After that, we stopped getting big things like the Sombra ARG.

The last OW1 cinematic was the Cassidy & Ashe shootout/Echo reveal.

Countblanc posted:

soldier is funny because he's an old millennial and loves twitter and white claw

In the OW lore, soldier is only about a year old in 2022. I'm not sure what the generational nickname will be for people born last year. Gen-series-X?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They could assign you a role. Like. You click the "I want to play!!!!" Button and it makes you a tank this time, a healer next time, a DPS, etc.

As long as it's juggling different rankings in each queue for you when match making. It should both allow them fo have queue and also not make DPS players wait (because they'll have stopped playing OW in frustration).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

They could assign you a role. Like. You click the "I want to play!!!!" Button and it makes you a tank this time, a healer next time, a DPS, etc.

As long as it's juggling different rankings in each queue for you when match making. It should both allow them fo have queue and also not make DPS players wait (because they'll have stopped playing OW in frustration).

Great idea! Maybe you could call it the "Flexible" queue, or just shorten it to just "Flex".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

Great idea! Maybe you could call it the "Flexible" queue, or just shorten it to just "Flex".

Right but if it's not compulsory it doesn't actually work. If they want fixed team composition, and they want short queue times, then something has to give.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like if you play Overwatch enough to complain about queue times, you play enough to have several mains per role

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I feel like if you play Overwatch enough to complain about queue times, you play enough to have several mains per role

I reinstalled my PS4 copy to see if I had any coins to spend and tried to play Mystery Heroes with a PlayStation Preference queue.

I waited over ten minutes for a game before I resigned myself to getting zapped by M+KB kids. In conclusion, :itwaspoo: .

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right but if it's not compulsory it doesn't actually work. If they want fixed team composition, and they want short queue times, then something has to give.

I think the current system could work if they just gave away way fewer tickets. Something like, 1 Flex match and you get 1 priority ticket.
The idea is solid but when everyone has infinity priority tickets then nobody has priority.

Not that I would've minded forced Flex queues.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They should just do pick and bans if they are going to enforce role queue and not let people switch. If they want to sell more champs than they have to do this, it also forces people to play other characters.

Now the fact that there is only so many supports and tanks is a problem.

I also agree that role queue is terrible.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Remove role queue but have the first person on each team to pick dps get a 6 hour ban

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, I really like playing Overwatch.

I just don't like waiting to play Overwatch.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Working on the new OP for OW2-thread. Is there anything else, I should add or change?
I'm going to add more pics and stuff on the middle section. Also title is work in progress.

Title: Overwatch 2: New Heroes, New Maps, New mode. Oct 4th (name pending)

Overwatch 2 release date is October 4th. Tue. 12:00 PT, 15:00 ET, 19:00 GMT and Wed 04:00 Korea
Platforms: PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, Switch.
There is cross-play and cross progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgqyer-qr4

TLDR How to play Overwatch 2 on PC:
Create your Battle.net account
REQUIRED TO PLAY: Activate SMS Protection.

New Players can download Overwatch 2, when it launches
Current and returning Overwatch players can pre-download Overwatch 2.

How to play Overwatch 2 on Consoles:
Download on your platform.
REQUIRED TO PLAY: Activate SMS Protection.

(LINK TO 2ND POST FOR RETURNING PLAYERS)

FOR NEW PLAYERS
Good to see some new people on the thread. Overwatch is a fun, unique game.

What separates Overwatch 2 from other fps games?
Overwatch 2 is Team-based first person shooter. Biggest difference to other shooters are the fixed abilities
and weapons on each character. Tracer always has the same Pulse Pistols, can blink around the field,
do a time Recall and throw a Pulse Bomb as her ultimate ability. Widowmaker has her Sniper Rifle,
Venom mine and Grapling Hook and so on.

All heroes have an ultimate ability that is charged by doing damage, healing or (slowly) by time.
When your ultimate meter reaches 100% you can launch unique powerful ability. Soldier76 all shots hit automatically for a while,
Widowmaker reveals all enemy hero locations through walls and so on.

Also there's lot of heroes:

The game has hero roles with different design philosophy. Tank heroes have a lot of health and are larger than average,
Damage heroes are good at dealing lot of damage and healers can heal and keep others fighting longer.

Most common play-modes have fixed composition team with role queue. 1 Tank, 2 Damage and 2 healers.
You can queue for the game as any or just choose flex, if you don’t mind which role you will assigned to.
During the game you can change your character within the role. For example if you play as Damage hero,
you can pick any other damage hero that isn’t played by your team mate.
There are also other game modes, where there are no role restrictions.

Each individual hero is very different from each other. What heroes suit you will vary. If you’re good at clicking heads,
there’s plenty of heroes that reward that. If not there’s other heroes that are rewarding to play that don’t focus on pixel perfect aiming.
Want to be a beefy center-line hero, sneaky flanker or someone who wins by supporting your team mates?
Overwatch 2 got a hero for you.

Not all heroes are unlocked for new players at the start. You start with a more limited hero selection
and unlock new heroes and play modes as you play more and get more accustomed to your heroes.
Remember to try out different heroes and roles so you can find what you really love to play!

Official Overwatch heroes page

Game modes
Overwatch 2 game modes are divided between Unranked, Competitive, Arcade and Custom games categories
Main game modes inside these are Quick play (found inside unranked) and Competitive play.* (Found inside competitive, duh)
One is more casual and other is bit more tryhard, but otherwise they’re pretty similar.
Both game modes have role queue and open queue versions. Generally role queues are more popular, but both are fun.
Two teams of 5 heroes face each other in different map types with either one team is an attacker and other defender or both teams are attacking.

*Competitive mode is locked for new players, until you have 50 Quick Play wins.

Map Types:
Escort

One team is an attacker and other team defends. There’s a Payload on the map that can be pushed forward on a route.
Payload moves forward when there’s an attacker near the payload and no defenders near it. Its speed increases with
more attackers near the payload with maximum speed from 3 attackers. If no attackers are near the payload,
it starts slowly drifting backwards towards previous checkpoint. Attackers get more time to push from reaching checkpoints.
Both teams get change to attack. Whichever team pushes the cart farthest wins.

Control

Control maps are actually 3 smaller maps. Both teams are attackers. There’s a central area that is a control point.
You capture it by having your team mates on it with no enemy team in it. Multiple heroes capture the point faster.
While the point is controlled, your control meter starts to rise starting from 0. Whichever team gets their meter to 100 first wins a round.
While the point is contested by the enemy team, your meter cannot rise to 100.
After each round the map changes until one team has 2 round wins.

Hybrid
[

One team is an attacker and other team defends. There's a control point that the attacker tries to capture by eliminating defenders
from the area and standing on the control point. When capture timer finishes the game mode turns into an escort map with a payload.

Push

New game mode for Overwatch 2.
Both teams are attackers. There is a Robot at the center of the map with a barricade at each side. Robot is controlled by whichever team
has a hero near it and no enemy heroes. A controlled robot pushes team Barricade slowly along predetermined road
towards enemy team spawn. Pushing stops, if enemy team has enemy heroes near the robot or your team has no heroes near it.
If other team is controlling the robot it changes direction and pushes the other Barricade. The Robot moves fast between barricades.
Whichever team has their barricade pushed farthest wins.

Other modes
In addition to Quick Play and competitive mode, there are other more casual game modes. Some are available always, others are on rotation.
Here is a short list of some of them:

Mystery heroes
Same as a quick play, except you are assigned a random hero and when you get killed you get another random hero. Found inside Unranked.
Also used as a modifier in multiple arcade modes, like Mystery Deathmatch.

Deathmatch FFA and Team Death Match
These game modes have their own maps. Reach the kill count and win.
Note that due to asymmetrical killing potential of heroes, some them are a real hard-mode. Especially in free for all deathmatch.
Deathmatch FFA is found inside unranked and Team Death match is on rotation inside Arcade.

Elimination
Deathmatch with no respawn during the round. Team gets a point for eliminating enemy team. Has 1v1, 3v3 and 5v5 variations.
Is on rotation inside Arcade.

Capture the Flag
Game mode has their own maps. Enemy base has a flag and your team has to capture it, while preventing enemy team capturing yours.
Is on rotation inside Arcade.

And there are plenty of other rotating arcade modes and seasonal modes.

Custom Games
Want to play an invite only game on Kings row? You can arrange this on custom games.
Or you setup a free to join custom game for a Widowmaker sniper ffa deathmatch.

What is even better than that? You can literally script your own custom game modes that can be played by anyone
that knows its workshop game code. There is anything from aim-training to Doomfist Parkour challenge modes.
The system is really flexible and has been available for years in Overwatch 1.
During Overwatch 2 launch the workshop to design your own game modes is on break until it is updated on a later patch,
but all the old game codes will/should work.

Popular source for custom game codes: https://workshop.codes/

PVE story missions
They are coming. Current ETA for those is sometime in 2023. More details on that when we know more,
but it should have different customizable PVE maps and continue the Overwatch story-line forward.

(2ND POST)

FOR RETURNING PLAYERS
Welcome back. Depending on when you’ve last played there might be lot of things you’ve missed.
New heroes, new game modes and maps. Some heroes got reworked a lot during OW1,
but in this section I’m going to focus on what changes on October 4th, when we move from Overwatch 1 to Overwatch 2.

WHAT IS NEW?
The Overwatch 2 has only 5 team members instead 6. One of the Tank players got dropped from the standard line up.

3 New heroes at the launch: Junkerqueen, who is a brawly tank with a shotgun, Axe and knife, Sojourn who is a soldier
with a railgun alternate firemode and Kiriko who is a japanese ninja-healer with throwing daggers, teleporting and spirit fox.

New maps with a new game mode: Push. More about the game mode is on the newbie section, but there’s 6 new maps.
Colosseo, New Queen Street and Esperanca are Push maps, Paraíso is a Hybrid map, Circuit Royal is Escort. 6th map is unknown.

There is no more visible SR nor account levels with different borders.
Instead you have rank from Bronze to GM and Tier from 5 (lowest) to 1(High) with the rank.
Your Tier and rank could be adjusted every 7 wins or 20 losses.
You will start unranked in Competitive each new season until you get your 7 wins or 20 losses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BowIDnsNvjs

Monetization.
Overwatch 2 is free-2-play. No more lootboxes. Instead game has a battle pass, which can be advanced by
playing games and doing challenges.
Free version of the battle pass has some skins and other stuff, but all the cool stuff
including the new mythic skins are exclusive to Premium Battle Pass, which cost 10 Dollars/Euros per season.

There’s also weekly bundles and item shop, where you can purchase all the old stuff you didn’t get from OW1.
There are weekly challenges that give you some premium currency, but it is pretty limited compared to spending real money.
Overwatch league and their own fake currency remains same. Either watch OWL or pay to get team skins and stuff.

There is now cross progression between all platforms. You can link your Playstation/Switch/PC/Xbox accounts
and they all can share your skins and progression toward Battle pass.

Challenges
As a new thing, the game has challenges. They're mainly for getting xp for battle basses
* Daily Challenges - 6 simple goals that refresh each day. You can complete 3 of these per day to
get almost a level in battle pass. They're simple goals, like "Win a match" or "Queue 3 times with flex role".
* Weekly Challenges - 11 more Involved goals that refresh weekly. You can complete all of them.
Each give you half a level of Battle pass xp. Completing 4 gives you 0.30 dollars worth of premium currency
and doing all 11 gives you total of 0.60 dollars worth of premium currency. Only way to get them "Free",
but really not worth it. Challenges are like "Win 10 matches queued in all roles mode" or "Deal/Boost 125 000 damage total".
* Season Challenges - 41 mostly simple goals that are season specific.
Give low amount of xp for completing mostly for fun goals.
Has character and map specific goals, like "Kill 5 enemies with Sojourns Railgun" or "Win 3 games in this map"
* Competitive Challenges - These are for the end of competitive season rewards exactly like in Overwatch 1.
As a new thing players who finish Master+ get a seasonal custom title. These challenges give competitive points,
which can be used to get gold guns for characters.
* Lifetime Challenges - Mostly for bragging rights and custom titles.
* Hero Challenges - Unknown at the moment

Role abilities and general changes
Damage heroes now get 25% buff to reload and movement speed after every kill for 2.5 seconds.
Tanks get 30% knockback resistance and give only 50% ultimate charge for shooting them.
Healers all have 15 hp/s regeneration when they have not taken damage in last 1.5 seconds.

Players retain up to 30% of their ultimate charge, when changing heroes

Hp system has been tweaked. Armor reduces damage by 30% instead of flat number.
All the abilities that raised HP over the maximum, now just Give Overhealth.

Hero Changes from OW1 to OW2
Only bigger changes listed.
* Doomfist is now a tank with no instakill charged punch. More durable and works as a dive hero.
* Orisa lost her shield is now bit more mobile centaur with a spear and gun. Almost total rework.
* Bastions turret mode is now a cooldown with a timer. Damage output reduced significantly but is mobile.
New ultimate, new ability, no self-heal. Complete rework.
* Sombra – Hack only interrupt abilities, doesn’t block them for a long time. Reveals enemy location to team
and gives DPS boost to Sombra vs hacked. Can hack and stay in stealth. Big change in playstyle.

* Mei lost her Freezeray. It does more damage and only slows.
* Brigitte lost her shield stun, does now more damage.
* Cassidy (mcree) Lost his Flashbang, now throws an explosive.
* Echo – Ultimate gives only max 300 hp.
* Mercy – Guardian angel tech flight changed a lot. No longer a secret tech.
* Reinhardt – Double firestrike, Charge can be cancelled.
* Symmetra – Teleporter isn’t permanent until destroyed any more.
* Zenyatta – Melee attack knocks back lot.

and a lot of smaller changes to damage/heal/shield values and tweaks to abilities.

What is gone?
No more Assault (2CP) maps. They might come back as a seasonal or rotating arcade mode, but no confirmation so far.

Lootboxes, but I repeat myself.

6 team members. Rip.

Overwatch 1 itself. There will be only Overwatch 2 servers.

Release schedule

Game goes to 9 week season cycles. Each season there is a new battle pass and either a new character or a map is released.
Also a new competitive season.

First two weeks of the season the new characters are locked out of the competitive mode
to give everyone a fair change to unlock them and practice.

(3RD POST)
I'll add PVE section here, when more information comes about it.

Cool links:
https://workshop.codes/ - Codes for custom made game modes you can play in Overwatch 2.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/ - Official Overwatch 2 webpage
https://www.youtube.com/c/playoverwatch - Official Overwatch youtube
https://www.youtube.com/c/overwatchleague - Official Overwatch league youtube.

Other SA Overwatch threads

Overwatch league thread – For the Esport and related posting
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964699&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Overwatch Meme thread: Old thread with lot of fun. OW memes, fan art and stuff. You need archives to view.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775648&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Old Overwatch 1 thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also remember to have fun.
https://i.imgur.com/7wtdzCN.mp4

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 2, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I'd put the "for returning players" thing on top; I feel like the majority of people checking out OW 2 are going to be lapsed OW1 players and their first question is going to be "what's different?", and that may be "compared to the first year of 1" rather than "compared to OW1 right now ".

Looks good!

Edit: reading the proposed OP, are the only two modes cart escort and KotH now?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 19, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: reading the proposed OP, are the only two modes cart escort and KotH now?

Escort, hybrid (cap a point then escort), KotH and Push (the new mode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

You forgot to add 'PvE(???)' to the title. I may have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of PvE in your post, either. Maybe make the mention of PvE it's own little subsection instead of a single sentence.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 19, 2022