Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Launch details and checklist: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23852690/overwatch-2-ready-check-prepare-for-launch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
But these new players will be still be playing AGAINST everyone. And playing a hero, even a little, is the best way to learn them!

I remember when the game was new I'd pick a hero for no reason other than after even one round as them I had much better idea of what they did, far more than you'd gain just from playing against them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Added that to the OW2 OP. Thanks.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Goodbye, Overwatch 2! Mission Flailed, You'll Do Better Next Time.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
This feels really spiteful like a higher up got mad that the strike screwed up Overwatch updates so they're going screw it and tanking the IP. Like all of this one after another has a real top down gently caress you, you care about working on this IP I'll milk it and salt the earth.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I just got another hot OW2 leak lined up for you all:

Poop poop poo poo piss poop piss poo poo

FART.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Something I noticed is that you will no longer be able to endorse players on the enemy team. That's a shame because I actually enjoyed giving props to opponents who played especially well out of good sportsmanship. :shobon:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Each OW2 player is now auto-congratulated post-match.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lol a reviewer pointed out that you'll be grinding out about a hundred and fifty bucks at minimum wage to get those "free" heroes.

what does this mean exactly?
e: nevermind i missed the word "wage" somehow

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why is OW2 not at least doing a free hero rotation like every other free to play game?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It'll take about twenty hours to clear the necessary number of missions to unlock the ow1 roster, and f2p games remind me of something once said about fixing your own car:

"And the labor's free! As long as you think your time is worthless!"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Unlocking a new hero every 3 to 5 games vs other new players actually sounds fun, they'll probably find a lot of players actually quit after they unlock everyone because its an addictive progression system that ends. The bigger lol to me is that they expect 40% of these new players to play support.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Why is OW2 not at least doing a free hero rotation like every other free to play game?

in what world is that better than having new heroes gradually introduced to you as you get more experience playing?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jack B Nimble posted:

But these new players will be still be playing AGAINST everyone. And playing a hero, even a little, is the best way to learn them!

I remember when the game was new I'd pick a hero for no reason other than after even one round as them I had much better idea of what they did, far more than you'd gain just from playing against them.

At least in OW1, if you were a new player you were essentially only playing w/ other new players until around player level 20 or so? Forget the exact specifics. This was not the case if you were partied w/ a vet, but I believe they said if you're grouped up that you will have access to the full roster before 100 games (or at least the full OW1 roster).

But yeah, while some limitations could help new players, but 100 games is just too much. You should be able to try a new character every game if you want, or at the very most every 2 games. And again, if the unlock order is fixed (you can't choose who to unlock as you go), that's insane. I can't imagine my early OW career if I wasn't able to pick Lucio until level 99.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Jack B Nimble posted:

It'll take about twenty hours to clear the necessary number of missions to unlock the ow1 roster, and f2p games remind me of something once said about fixing your own car:

"And the labor's free! As long as you think your time is worthless!"

:yeah:

Never grind your dailies/weeklies/whateveries on F2P game,.
Play because you want to play, not because fear of missing out on 'rewards'.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Red Red Blue posted:

in what world is that better than having new heroes gradually introduced to you as you get more experience playing?

Well i don't like the new heroes being gradually introduced to you thing so :shrug:

edit: Not that it matters for me, since I had OW1 but I would be put off by this system as a new player

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so what's to stop someone from buying ow1 on the cheap and getting the roster that way

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

No one thing from this game is absolutely bonkers but the sum total so far is bugfuck insane

This game is like a litmus test for how much bullshit people can put up with

:hmmyes:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The biggest learning curve in OW IMO, bigger than learning a few characters to play that you enjoy, is learning all the abilities/ults/callouts of the full cast so you know how to play/react against everyone. Even if you one trick so you don't need to concern yourself learning how to play the full cast, you still have to learn all the callouts/abilities. In that sense, starting with a reduced cast can make the game easier to pickup if the entire lobby is also dealing with a reduced cast. The player will learn the base set of callouts quicker and then can pickup new ones as they're added along the way. However, I can't imagine long term the new-player playerbase will be large enough that the match making can reliably be made that tight. That benefit kinda goes out the window if you're matching someone with 15 games up with someone with 90 games (and thus has almost the full cast available).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, who is the Watchpoint Pack meant for? Brand-new players?

I figure buying the first battlepass is inevitable for me in the near future, so is the Watchpoint Pack worth it as a long-time veteran of the game who also plans on buying the premium battlepass later anyway?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've actually interacted with a battlepass system in a game in a meaningful way before. Maybe Dead by Daylight briefly? So this will be a novel experience for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so what's to stop someone from buying ow1 on the cheap and getting the roster that way

Well one problem with that is OW1 won't exist anymore

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Well one problem with that is OW1 won't exist anymore

depending on how the system is set up to recognize that you bought ow1, couldn't you like, buy a ps4/xbone copy

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I figure buying the first battlepass is inevitable for me in the near future, so is the Watchpoint Pack worth it as a long-time veteran of the game who also plans on buying the premium battlepass later anyway?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've actually interacted with a battlepass system in a game in a meaningful way before. Maybe Dead by Daylight briefly? So this will be a novel experience for me.

Unless you really want the 2 New skins (and 10 older ones) , it is cheaper to just buy the Battlepasses as they come.
They are pretty good looking skins and one of the old skins is the Bastion with moss growth on him.

edit: I got it.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 28, 2022

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

As far as I can tell you cannot purchase OW 1 anymore. The only thing available to purchase at the moment is the watchpoint pack.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RugClockVexx posted:

As far as I can tell you cannot purchase OW 1 anymore. The only thing available to purchase at the moment is the watchpoint pack.

there's physical copies of overwatch for the consoles. I'm wondering if you couldn't just buy one for the cheap, maybe even used?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The backlash on this feels overblown. There are something like 32 characters right now and will be 35 on Oct 4th so some sort of easing in or onboarding makes sense. "100 games to unlock them all" feels like too much but depending on how they do it that could be a new character every few games and might actually help new players ease into it. I had one friend who bounced off the game pretty hard because it was overwhelming trying to learn to play with and against so many characters at once so if they can keep the new players queued with each other for a few hours during the new player experience that would make them feel like they're having a chance to learn and improve for the first 10 matches.

Between that and the phone number thing hopefully it's a decent anti cheat incentive too. I'm stoked they are going to make people tie a phone number to the account although I'm surprised it's for more than competitive.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Their main issue is that a lot of the most recent pre-release info has been kind of lame. Like the Overwatch 2 news has been: new hero! new map! and then a shitload of "oh lol here's how long it takes you to unlock them unless you pay"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there has basically been no good news regarding OW2 in the wider gaming media. fewer characters than the expected 5, weird anti-consumer practices, questionable aesthetic decisions, articles about egregious team size and gameplay changes, arguments that there arent gameplay changes, etc.. basically nothing good has come out about the game all year that wasn't just actually playing the beta. which was fun! i loved playing the beta, it was a good time, and ultimately "game is fun to play" will trump the vast majority of things. but it's not at all hard to see why every single thing gets a more and more negative response when there's simply been nothing positive to talk about. like the most positive reporting ive seen in months has been "feature that was just leaked or announced is actually not as bad as it sounds!!"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah.

There should be some exciting news still to be revealed.
We haven't seen Kirikos Cinematic short yet.
There is still map or two unrevealed.
Copenhagen and India maps were for new pvp mode. When are they going to reveal that?
The new Junkenstein event is coming soon after the release.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Countblanc posted:

like the most positive reporting ive seen in months has been "feature that was just leaked or announced is actually not as bad as it sounds!!"

Yeah this has been a rough rollout. They should have backpedalled a bit a year ago and changed to messaging and advertising to say this is not OW2, but OW2.0, a continuation of the same live service game with a new business model so we can justify continued development. They screwed themselves with the initial announcement and trying to call this a new game. It's just weird to see everyone so primed to hate every detail that comes out even when it's probably a decent compromise for a free to play title and maybe even healthier for the growth of the player base with some onboarding process.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DrBox posted:

It's just weird to see everyone so primed to hate every detail that comes out even when it's probably a decent compromise for a free to play title and maybe even healthier for the growth of the player base with some onboarding process.

Blizzard has somehow set up Overwatch so that it drives people up the wall, love it or hate it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

adhuin posted:

We haven't seen Kirikos Cinematic short yet.

Well, that's not entirely true :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Well, that's not entirely true :v:

the Origin story wasn't exactly in cinematic OW style.
There's a short 2 second clip in the Overwatch 2 trailer, that has Kiriko arguing with her mother that is in full cinematic quality.
edit: and she saves a kid on later clip.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 28, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

First 3 battle passes are expected to be $10 each. Watchpoint gives you the first battle pass + enough coins to buy the next 2. So that's up to a $30 value if you'd otherwise buy the 1st 3 battle passes on their own. Though this doesn't account for the possibility that you can earn at least some coinage for the next pass while completing the current pass, so maybe $20 will be enough to get you the first 3 passes. I believe the rumor was you earn a bit over $5 in coins while completing the battlepass? Maybe I'm miss remembering. If you're going to buy the 1st 3 BPs regardless, the question is are the cosmetics the pack is offering worth $10-20 to you. If you're not sure if you'll buy BPs after the 1st, you better really want the cosmetics, otherwise you're definitely better off just buying the 1st BP for $10 and seeing how things go from there.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Part of this is just the massive media backlash against former darlings Blizzard as a whole which is... well, fair as hell, you don't gotta give it to 'em. There's a whole lot of media press still salty that one of the last real bastions of the old school of game design turned out to be lead by a bunch of horrible asshats who put their staff through genuine nightmares. But I think a lot of it is just Blizzard never being terribly clear what OW2 was going to be at launch until just recently, and it turns out OW2 is much less then what everyone thought it would be. And becomes less with every new announcement. Hindsight is showing that at this point they probably should have put some of the resources into keeping OW1 chugging along to keep some goodwill for the original game flowing while taking the time to make OW2 everything they said it would be, but the corporate overlords were never going to let that happen, especially as Blizzard hasn't had a major new mainstream release that isn't a remaster or WoW expansion since 2016 and is probably starting to look like a pariah within ABK.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

adhuin posted:

the Origin story wasn't exactly in cinematic OW style.
There's a short 2 second clip in the Overwatch 2 trailer, that has Kiriko arguing with her mother that is in full cinematic quality.
edit: and she saves a kid on later clip.

The joke is that an unfinished version of that short leaked online

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mr. Locke posted:

Hindsight is showing that at this point they probably should have put some of the resources into keeping OW1 chugging along to keep some goodwill for the original game flowing while taking the time to make OW2 everything they said it would be, but the corporate overlords were never going to let that happen,
I would say with hindsight they should have never gone with the idea of a sequel to the multilayer but otherwise totally agree. They should have kept pushing out at least small content updates until they had a substantial thing to release for OW2 including the PvE stuff. I hope some day a retrospective comes out explaining how that got so bogged down in development hell. Seems like internally there was a real conflict for what direction the game should go in and that led to just nothing happening

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

To quote the article because I fell asleep after posting this:

quote:

We want FTUE to welcome players more gradually to Overwatch 2, as we’ve seen consistent feedback from new players feeling overwhelmed by numerous game modes and heroes. New players begin with access to a limited set of game modes, heroes, and some other restrictions to onboard them more gradually. The first phase of our new FTUE rapidly unlocks all the game modes and the ability to chat in-game, and the second phase unlocks all the original Overwatch heroes over the course of approximately 100 matches. This focused experience eases new players into the world of Overwatch by teaching them about different modes, rules, and other high-level aspects of the game in an approachable way.

Most FTUE restrictions are lifted while in a group, so new players can team up with their friends at any time to play almost any game modes. Competitive is the exception to this rule because new players must complete a specific challenge to access this game mode.

Emphasis added.

I can believe new players could want to do something like this, especially more casual players. It’s the least bad news of everything OW2 imo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Part of the problem is that 100 games is a really rough amount for a starting hook. At the same time, OW1 has arguably too many heroes, and t feels weird to just Not give new players all of the old OW1 guard. We're used to them being the baseline, after all.

I feel like the weird Overwatch 2 half-measures causing, like 90% of the problem here. If this was a full, genuine sequel, there wouldn't be an expectation that the same characters have to be free. poo poo, there wouldn't even be an expectation that the same characters have to be in the game! But it's not, and that means you have all these elephants in the room you need to account for when deciding how to translate a 40 dollar game into a F2P one. And even if this system is actually a pretty good idea, the optics are stuck on "it'll take you 100 games to get what you used to have immediately."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Only allowing one account per phone number is dumb, I created multiple accounts prior to SR being split between the three classes because I didn't want to practice a role I wasn't comfortable with in a high rank. I also used the other accounts to warm up to the game after long absences. It sounds like my alt accounts are just bricked now because I only have access to one phone number.